Forum Settings
Forums

Underrated/unpopular manga that people should read.

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 25, 2013 5:17 PM

Aug 2012
Takemitsu Zamurai, I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, way too many pages to scroll through.

I just started reading it and I'm very impressed. The story isn't mind-blowing, but the art is. Not because it's atypical, but because it manages to say much more besides of the obvious action, there are so many little nuances, it's marvelous. You can really tell that the artist thought things through and isn't just drawing to accommodate the story.
Jun 26, 2013 1:28 AM

Dec 2012
Yandere Kanojo: The title may be pretty misleading, and the main plot basically boils down to a not particularly surprising romantic comedy, but damn if this isn't some of the best handling of supporting characters in a comedy that I've seen in a long, loooong time...!
Jun 26, 2013 11:04 AM

Jun 2013
Tower of God, anyone? It's a manhwa/webcomic but I'm quite sure it still counts. On first glance it may seem to be another one of those boring cliché adventures, but the story's truly amazing. Great character development, concepts, action scenes, comedy and much more.

Jun 26, 2013 6:55 PM

Mar 2013
Androssi said:
Tower of God, anyone? It's a manhwa/webcomic but I'm quite sure it still counts. On first glance it may seem to be another one of those boring cliché adventures, but the story's truly amazing. Great character development, concepts, action scenes, comedy and much more.

Tower is God is amazing and truly underrated outside of South Korea. Season 2 is with Jyo Viole Grace is even better. Everything about the series is diverse and fresh in it's own way which is nice.

A truly good series called "Ares" is very underrated. It'slike roman times mix in with modern trends with also swordsmanship and unique weapons for fighting. The character development is good and you'll like at least one or more of the three main characters in the series.
Jun 29, 2013 6:44 AM

Aug 2011
Underrated: CRASH!
Looks like a reverse harem but is actually a love triangle.
A really well written female MC.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Jun 30, 2013 4:05 AM

Jun 2013
Can I add light novels? I think Kyoukai no Kanata is underrated and not too popular but it's gonna get an anime adaptation though. I'm excited. :)
Jul 1, 2013 9:04 AM

Jun 2013
BECK!!!
For the love of god, Beck is so underrated it hurts.
Jul 1, 2013 5:16 PM

Aug 2012
One more: I just realized that only 157 people have listed Koukou Kyuuji Zawa-san in their lists, which is a shame, because it's one of the most endearing, funny things i've ever read.
Jul 2, 2013 5:25 AM

Jun 2011
Unpopular - Eden: it's an endless world.
guys read it and thank me later.
Jul 2, 2013 8:47 AM

Oct 2008
OnePieceQ8 said:
Unpopular - Eden: it's an endless world.
guys read it and thank me later.

The story is very interesting and the art is really good. But after a while it goes downhill. I don´t know what the mangaka was thinking, but he fucked it up really badd.
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Jul 3, 2013 9:31 PM

Mar 2013
I'm hearing blade of the Immortal manga was really good and underrated.
Jul 6, 2013 10:54 AM

Dec 2008
Love is in the Bag XD it is a story about a girl who turns into bag whenever she sees her crush XD it is really funny XD
Shirhyzuka Keii Yuu ♥
Jul 6, 2013 11:55 AM

Jun 2013
Nanba MG5 & Deadend - Not sure if popular but many ppl around don't know this one

It does not even exist in MAL database :| (I just can't find it?)
Jul 6, 2013 5:01 PM

Apr 2013
Uzumaki deserves better, dammit!!!
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Jul 6, 2013 7:20 PM

Oct 2012
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray R was decent, I really don't hear much about so I assume it's not very popular.
Jul 13, 2013 11:35 AM

Jul 2010
Here are some underrated manga that I think everyone should read!

With The Light: Raising An Autistic Child: It's about parents raising their autistic child and go through the usual every day life, full of joys and hardships. It is an absolutely masterful and beautiful manga! It's a full eight volumes long (for some reason every volume here in America is actually two in one), and it's always exploring something new. Sadly, the author died in 2010 and it's unfinished. T___T But I still recommend it wholeheartedly!

+Anima: It's about four children, three boys and one girl, who live in a world where half-animals, called +Anima, are seen as threats and monsters and are discriminated against for their existence. These four children all have +Animas due to bad experiences and have to go on a journey to find a place they can call home. It may not start off very well, but it's still a very wonderful ride once you get to the good parts. I feel it drops some very good aesops about how discrimination is bad by showing how it can affect the people they prejudice and what happens when it gets out of hand, especially since a lot of it happens in real life.

Mimia Hime: In a world where people have wings of light, a girl is born without any, which means she is a child of God and has to go on a journey to meet other Gods and help the world since mankind has long since gone. It's nice, it's heartwarming, it's extremely meticulous in its world building, and warm fuzzies all around! Mimia MIGHT come off as a bit of a Mary Sue at first, but only eight chapters are out so there isn't much to read.
Jul 14, 2013 10:05 AM

Jan 2011
There are plenty of manga I can think of I think deserve more attention but Dorohedoro probably takes the cake. Granted it's finally being scanlated regularly so more people are picking it up but it's still not that well known, especially considering it's pretty well loved among the readers and it's probably the most original and clever written manga I can think of and a unique masterpiece.
Jul 14, 2013 1:34 PM

Mar 2013
A Korean manwha called Trace. This is basically a hidden gem. This manwha has little exposure, but the plot may seem average once you read the summary, but it's very complex and expands the concepts of the story into three sections connecting them to one when the time was relevant. Once you start reading it, it becomes more and more interesting especially about the story older protagonist Kim Yun-Sung.

He turned from an average Korean businessman into an influential Trace rebel leader.

The character development for certain characters is really good and some are tragic.

I really recommend this manwha.
KvshiJul 14, 2013 1:37 PM
Jul 15, 2013 7:58 PM

Oct 2010
I think Yankee Kun to megane Chan is quite underrated. The comedy and facial expressions of them characters is pure brilliance
Jul 16, 2013 6:26 AM

Jun 2013
FLOW. Just started, only 4 chapters as of now.
Jul 17, 2013 9:38 PM
May 2013
Ito Junji Collection series.

They are short so you can finish all of them in a day or two.
Jul 18, 2013 4:07 PM

Jul 2011
Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken, it's old but it still beats Bleach or Naruto by a big margin, the art, characters and story all develop greatly since the beggining
Jul 19, 2013 10:16 AM

Feb 2010
Dorohedoro is not getting nearly as much love as it should. My personal favourite.
Jul 19, 2013 1:03 PM

Jul 2013
Anything by Junji Ito, especially Uzumaki and the Tomie cycle.
Line and Anne Freaks by Yua Kotegawa.
Reiko the Zombie Shop by Rei Mikamoto.
Also, people don't realize how truly engaging and enthralling the Gunslinger Girl manga (by Yu Aida) and the Sailor Moon manga (by Naoko Takeuchi) are, they're great.
All these are available in English, licensed, although some are out -of-print.
"You're thinking in Japanese! If you must think, do it in German!" - Asuka Langley Soryu (Evangelion)

"LCL Füllung. Anfang der Bewegung. Anfang des Nervenanschlusses. Auslöses von Links-kleidung. Synchro-start." - Asuka Langley Soryu
Jul 20, 2013 2:41 AM

Jul 2013
-konachan said:
TERRA FORMARS... really underrated!!!!

This. Refer to my avatar and profile picture. Especially the profile picture.
I'm cooler than a cooler
Big shouts out to my jeweler
Bitch Chief Sosa stack dat mula
JezusBull said:
Ohh the ignorant masses, poor, ignorant people.
Kimi no Iru Machi said:
Whether it's in Tokyo or the countryside, panties will always remain the same. And the heart of the man who tries his best is also the same.

Jul 21, 2013 12:58 AM

Jan 2012
Gisele Alain
A slice of life about a jack-of-all-trade girl set in 18/19-th century Europe (kind of). The art is gorgeous and the atmosphere is pretty relaxing. A must read for fans of slice of life genre.
Jul 21, 2013 5:56 PM

May 2010
Toriko.its ridiculous how underrated this manga is outside of japan!
the current arc is fkin crazy! if u love great shounen with powerups that actually make alot of sense u really should read this!

SSJBeastmode said:
It's almost scary how underrated Toriko is. Just because there's like barely any female characters in it and it's about food shouldn't put you off. I really don't see how it isn't rated higher.

about the female characters..soo true..but it has Grannys fighting to the death! ^^
Jul 21, 2013 11:51 PM

Apr 2011
I'm not exactly sure if it's underrated, but I've rarely heard anything about Goth here on MAL. Anyone who hasn't read it should try it out. It's classified as horror, but that's more on the nature of the corpses that are shown. It's not scary at all, but it provides a good psychological manga. Also, the MC (as in Kamiyama Itsuki) is beast.
Jul 22, 2013 12:15 AM

Oct 2011
Just finished Onanie Master Kurosawa and it was amazing.
Jul 22, 2013 1:58 AM

Jul 2013
DEMOLITION_D said:
Just finished Onanie Master Kurosawa and it was amazing.
That's cool, but it's in the top 50 on MAL. It's not underrated or unpopular.
I'm cooler than a cooler
Big shouts out to my jeweler
Bitch Chief Sosa stack dat mula
JezusBull said:
Ohh the ignorant masses, poor, ignorant people.
Kimi no Iru Machi said:
Whether it's in Tokyo or the countryside, panties will always remain the same. And the heart of the man who tries his best is also the same.

Jul 22, 2013 2:06 AM

Dec 2012
yhunata said:
I'm not exactly sure if it's underrated, but I've rarely heard anything about Goth here on MAL. Anyone who hasn't read it should try it out. It's classified as horror, but that's more on the nature of the corpses that are shown. It's not scary at all, but it provides a good psychological manga. Also, the MC (as in Kamiyama Itsuki) is beast.

The main character was boring :| and it had predictable plot twists, other than that I would say it's an enjoyable read. It could have been better with more chapters.
Jul 22, 2013 6:29 AM

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:
yhunata said:

The main character was boring :| and it had predictable plot twists, other than that I would say it's an enjoyable read. It could have been better with more chapters.

Yeah, it was predictable, but I liked the way it was all shown. And that's too bad, I loved that MC. I guess it's just that I love those type of characters. I think I'm gonna try to find the novel it was based on. It's rated higher on MAL, so I'm guessing some stuff were omitted in the manga. Btw, what do you think about the art?
Jul 22, 2013 6:44 AM

Sep 2011
I'm probably never going to find something as underrated as this again:
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria
Maybe underrated isn't right, seeing how it has a mean score of 9.43, but there's only 58 people on MAL that have this on their list.
Which is a shame since it's fucking amazing. I usually don't really like Light Novels since alot of them are badly written.
This novel completely blew me out of the water though, I suggest at least reading the review on its page to see if you're interested since it's spoiler free anyway.

You can find the novels fully translated on Baka-Tsuki.
Jul 22, 2013 6:57 AM

Dec 2012
yhunata said:
tsudecimo said:
yhunata said:

Yeah, it was predictable, but I liked the way it was all shown. And that's too bad, I loved that MC. I guess it's just that I love those type of characters. I think I'm gonna try to find the novel it was based on. It's rated higher on MAL, so I'm guessing some stuff were omitted in the manga. Btw, what do you think about the art?

No I actually love those type of characters more than anything but he felt boring, don't know why. I think the art was decent, I've seen better art in a similar manga though.

I recommend you read these manga if you liked the MC, they are both dark:
Lying Mii-kun and Broken Maa-chan: Precious Lies.
Abnormal-kei Joshi

SWWEEET
^
This manga is also underrated, It's psychological, dark with romance and interesting plot twists.
Jul 22, 2013 7:08 AM

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:
No I actually love those type of characters more than anything but he felt boring, don't know why. I think the art was decent, I've seen better art in a similar manga though.

I recommend you read these manga if you liked the MC, they are both dark:
Lying Mii-kun and Broken Maa-chan: Precious Lies.
Abnormal-kei Joshi

SWWEEET
^
This manga is also underrated, It's psychological, dark with romance and interesting plot twists.

Personally, I loved the art. I thought it fitted story perfectly. And thanks for the recommendations.
Jul 23, 2013 2:42 PM

Dec 2012
Hideout. I recommend it to everyone who is a horror fan or anyone who loves amazing art.
Jul 24, 2013 6:22 PM

Jan 2011
I won't say it's unpopular or underrated since it's rather popular and famous manga but it seems though that Lone wolf and cub is getting ignored by the younger generations. It was drawn in the 70's so it's pretty old but timeless nevertheless and is one of the most influential comic book that has ever been drawn, I haven't finished yet but I love it to pieces and I can well see why it is considered a masterpiece and I think it's no understatement calling it a timeless masterpiece that reflects the samurai era better than any other manga.
Jul 26, 2013 11:40 PM

Jul 2013
Monster http://myanimelist.net/manga/1/Monster

Unbalance X Unbalance http://myanimelist.net/manga/1121/Unbalance_x_Unbalance

I''s http://myanimelist.net/manga/818/Is
Dr. Sheldon Cooper " It is no way to make new humans. People coming out of people. Some kind of dirty magic show.
Jul 28, 2013 12:35 AM

May 2012
Samurai Deeper Kyo! it's pretty cool
you should go check it out and not that cliche imo
Jul 29, 2013 2:35 PM

Feb 2013
Threads of Time

...seriously great manga. Has the best ending I have ever read, the plot is perfectly woven, and the characters are riveting.
Jul 30, 2013 11:48 AM

Jun 2011
Hideout.
if you are into Horror you need to check it.
Jul 30, 2013 7:25 PM

Feb 2013
OnePieceQ8 said:
Hideout.
if you are into Horror you need to check it.

Added it to my PTR list.

Hmmm... I recommend:
Otoyomegatari (Gorgeous historical slice of life)
Momoiro Heaven (Hilarious & quirky romance)
Eternal Sabbath (Sci-fi awesomeness)
Mars (Drama & romance with deep characters)
Historie (Fascinating historical saga)
Aug 7, 2013 8:56 AM
Jun 2013
I'd say Kodomo no Jikan. I think some people give it a hard time because if you just look at it without really reading it, it just looks like loli fanservice and frankly, that's what a lot of it is. Now I'm not saying it's a masterpiece. I'd probably rate it around 7,5 if that was possible. Yeah, it has a lot of loli ecchi but I think the story is still entertaining and the character development is good.

It's definitely not for everyone but if you are able to ignore all the nasty parts, it's still definitely a good story to read through.
Aug 15, 2013 3:27 AM

Oct 2008
Feng Shen Ji.

It has a very high rating but not many people know about it. The artwork is truly AMAZING, each page is drawn in beautiful colour. The story is epic and contains a lot of memorable characters. The battle scenes are very well done, and it's easy to follow what's going on. Thank me later
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Aug 18, 2013 3:11 PM

Feb 2013
Animaniac123 said:
Feng Shen Ji.

It has a very high rating but not many people know about it. The artwork is truly AMAZING, each page is drawn in beautiful colour. The story is epic and contains a lot of memorable characters. The battle scenes are very well done, and it's easy to follow what's going on. Thank me later

Glad someone else agrees
Aug 19, 2013 1:03 AM

Jan 2009
Mem521 said:
Animaniac123 said:
Feng Shen Ji.

Glad someone else agrees

Apart from the monochrome feature I wouldn't consider Feng Shen Ji something extraordinary. Full color does add on the pleasure of reading, but isn't the plot a bit underdeveloped?
Aug 19, 2013 6:24 AM

Feb 2013
zybactik said:
Mem521 said:
Animaniac123 said:
Feng Shen Ji.

Glad someone else agrees

Apart from the monochrome feature I wouldn't consider Feng Shen Ji something extraordinary. Full color does add on the pleasure of reading, but isn't the plot a bit underdeveloped?

It takes it's time I’ll give it that, but it’s more about the characters than anything else. It's a simple story but a lot of detail within that story, I like it.
Aug 19, 2013 8:15 AM

Mar 2013
Mem521 said:
zybactik said:
Mem521 said:
Animaniac123 said:
Feng Shen Ji.

Glad someone else agrees

It takes it's time I’ll give it that, but it’s more about the characters than anything else. It's a simple story but a lot of detail within that story, I like it.

Knew about Feng Shen Ji for a while, but didn't fully get into it yet, but I'm hearing it's really good.
Aug 24, 2013 10:58 PM

Dec 2012
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=23052
AKB49: Renai Kinshi Jourei

I really like this manga, I find it interesting to read. It has some real life events dealing with the real AKB48. I got interested in AKB48 and their sister groups through this Manga. It's a heartwarming read, at least for me. It involves crossdressing, so I was hesitant at first but after reading a few chapters I really enjoy reading this Manga.

It's still publishing, so if you want something different that's interesting and gets you pumped give AKB49 a try! =^3^= <3
Aug 25, 2013 3:05 PM

Aug 2013
Mem521 said:

Ikigami, i need to get the other volumes =D
http://myanimelist.net/manga/8446/Ikigami

Ikigami's great :D How many are there, anyway? I've read up to Volume, 8 I think. It's a good series, but it doesn't seem like many people have read it.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
7 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
9 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
10 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
10 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.