Forum Settings
Forums

Underrated/unpopular manga that people should read.

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 13, 2013 11:52 PM

Aug 2011
Red_Keys said:
I'm not sure if it's underrated or unpopular, I'm too lazy to check, but everybody should read Onani Master Kurosawa.
I agree, but it's not really underrated on this site at least.

Also would like to add Yasashii Sekai no Tsukurikata.
May 19, 2013 10:15 PM

Sep 2011
For apocalyptic survival-horror fans out there, definitely 7 Seeds.

There's also the gorgeous Ran to Haiiro no Sekai
May 20, 2013 5:42 AM

Dec 2009
Samurai Deeper Kyo or Angel Densetsu.
Most underrated manga's i've ever read. More people should check them out.
May 21, 2013 12:38 AM

Feb 2010
Yeah Kami-sama no iutoori Ni is a good one

I'll go with Denki gai Honya-san
I really like the humor also the setting for this manga and absolutely love the characters.

and Apocalypse no Toride too
May 21, 2013 1:13 AM

Nov 2011
Complexity said:

Also would like to add Yasashii Sekai no Tsukurikata.

+1000

Found this awhile back somehow. A hidden gem and I enjoy it a lot. It's a shame it takes awhile to get an update out though.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 22, 2013 1:53 AM

Dec 2010
There are many I could mention, but I'll try to be brief.

Again!!: it's simple yet very emotional and touching. The pace is slow, it makes you savour every moment... And the MC is great, very "human", a character lots of people can relate to.

Ookiku Furikabutte: well, I don't know why it's so unpopular, it's such a long running series... I didn't know a thing about baseball before I stumbled upon it (it's the king of minor sports in my country xD), but I really had no difficulties reading it. And it's very realistic, there are no "special powers" in it. It really makes me tremble to know what will happen next... and it has a really great cast of characters! The good thing is that -main characters aside- everyone has a really plain personality... but they're all so enjoyable!
... and basically everything I said for Oofuri goes for Haikyuu! too. Though Haikyuu!! is about volleyball.

Kimi To Boku: it's a really simple manga. Slice of life, nothing thrilling... But it's so lighthearted, so heartwarming, it makes my heart and my head flutter all over the place when I read it. Great cast of characters in here too.

And there are Honey and Clover and Sakamichi No Apollon too. I didn't expect them to have so few members. Two really great, great josei. Though Honey and Clover is really bittersweet... for me the ending was pretty much devastating. I'm desperately trying to find more manga like this two, but it's really difficult...
May 22, 2013 2:10 AM

Jan 2013
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=1230 Tokyo Akazukin, fckd up manga but it's really good.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/14923/Ichiban_Ushiro_no_Daimaou Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou. If you've seen the anime, then read the manga. The story is more "planned out" so to speak.
CabronMay 28, 2013 12:33 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 22, 2013 3:27 AM

Sep 2011
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=4

It's not really underrated but it's fairly unknown considering its quality. Quite possibly the best slice of life with mild drama ever created.
Appel_stroopMay 22, 2013 12:12 PM
May 22, 2013 4:15 AM

Dec 2012
Appel_stroop said:
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=4

It's not really underrated but it's fairly unknown considering its quality. Quite possibly the best slice of lice with mild drama ever created.

Slice of lice sounds like a scary genre...
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 22, 2013 12:12 PM

Sep 2011
Lol thanks for pointing that out.
May 27, 2013 11:53 PM

Feb 2008
makarov52 said:
the arms peddler and march story

Kiba no Tabishounin: The Arms Peddler is amazing

others include
tuxedo gin (a rom com series a lot like ranma 1/2)
happy happy clover (a childran series with cute animels running around kinda like hamtaro)
full metal panic sigma (full metal panic is a popular anime series but this manga is just mind blowing good)
May 29, 2013 12:07 PM

May 2013
Tetragrammation Labyrinth : Beautiful Drawing + Action/Horror/Gory Story + Moe.
Lost Paradise : Action + Shoujo Ai + Good Story.
Gyo : Horror + Survival + Junji Ito.
May 29, 2013 2:17 PM

Dec 2012
I''s by Masakazu Katsura, Psychic Academy by Aki Katsu, & Change 123 by Iku Sakaguchi & Shiuri Iwasawa.
"Live a good life, leave behind a legacy to be proud of."

I review anime! (via TrashMutant.com): Aldnoah.Zero: http://tinyurl.com/ly6oyr6; Sword Art Online: http://tinyurl.com/mzpks8t; Patema Inverted: http://tinyurl.com/kphmu7t

I also now review manga! (via Bagandbored.net): Chirality - To the Promised Land: http://tinyurl.com/mvblbuo
May 29, 2013 6:33 PM

Feb 2012
It might not be that unpopular, but I'd definitely say Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa (not to be confused with Onani Master). It's the only manga that made me laugh as well as shed a few man tears. One of a kind.
May 29, 2013 10:12 PM

Jan 2013
3nvy said:
I hated bastard and guyver, but that's just me.

What didn't you like about them?
Salmon is delicious.
May 29, 2013 11:45 PM

Jan 2013
3nvy said:
Guyver was exceptionally corny and I hated the art. I can't stand that stereotypical old school manga art. And the story was atrocious. Something bad happened and then one of the generic/awful characters was all like "GUYVEEEEEER" and then everything was solved.

Uh, it doesn't even remotely sound like you and I read the same manga....

I don't really remember bastard. It was a couple years ago that I tried it, I think. Like 3. I'll give it another shot.

Excellent. ^_^
Salmon is delicious.
May 30, 2013 2:09 AM

Jan 2013
3nvy said:
How does last order compare to the original? I wasn't huge on the original's ending. Also I didn't like the romance. Is that a bigger part of the plot in last order?

I think Last Order is great, but not as great as the original, there's something missing but I don't know what it is though.
I can see why not just you but why most people didn't like the original ending, not even the mangaka himself was pleased with the ending he created, it was rushed because of some personal issues, so he decided to start on Last order. The mangaka had already stated that Last order takes place in between two key points of volume 9 of the original where there is a long break, so I'm guessing the last few chapters/pages are somewhat non-canon.
And as for romance goes in Last order for me it's 50/50, but I'm leaning a little bit more towards that there is a bit more of romance.
CabronMay 30, 2013 3:49 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 30, 2013 4:55 AM

May 2013
Tohru Fujisawa,the guy who made GTO,all of his work is pretty awesome.Rose hip rose,rose zero,Bad company ...
It's insane how awesome Fate/Zero is.
May 31, 2013 11:01 PM

Apr 2010
Onani Master Kurosawa.

Alot may be turned out by it's synopsis but it's definitley not what it sounds like as it a very good manga.
May 31, 2013 11:04 PM

Dec 2012
scabab said:
Onani Master Kurosawa.

Alot may be turned out by it's synopsis but it's definitley not what it sounds like as it a very good manga.

It's rated high and it's popular and recommended frequently in the rec's topics.
Jun 2, 2013 4:49 PM
Mar 2013
Angel Densetsu, quite possibly the most hilarious, bizarre adventure of a naive, kind-hearted boy with a face looking like a demon entering a new school.
Jun 2, 2013 5:23 PM

Jul 2009
Beast Master is OK; good and short.

3nvy said:
Slimek said:
Angel Densetsu, quite possibly the most hilarious, bizarre adventure of a naive, kind-hearted boy with a face looking like a demon entering a new school.

Better than claymore imo. Funny as fuck. The art starts out shitty, but it gets so much better as it goes on. It gets repetitive for some people, but I loved the whole thing.

I've re-read it and I rearely re-read, especially long(ish) stuff.

Jun 3, 2013 1:44 AM

Sep 2008
I never understood why not more people have read Samurai Deeper Kyo.

It's just like Bleach, in fact you could argue that Kubo has copied it, but SDK is more mature and have a pretty awesome story. Maybe not copied it, but it seems to be a huge inspiration.
Jun 3, 2013 10:11 AM

Jan 2013
Speedhoven said:

It's just like Bleach, in fact you could argue that Kubo has copied it, but SDK is more mature and have a pretty awesome story. Maybe not copied it, but it seems to be a huge inspiration.

Please don't compare something good like SDK to Blech of all things.

The two are very different mangas. The only similarity is that the characters in both use swords to fight.
Salmon is delicious.
Jun 3, 2013 1:45 PM

Sep 2008
Exaccus said:
Speedhoven said:

The two are very different mangas. The only similarity is that the characters in both use swords to fight.

People with swords who wield great and diffrent kinds of power. Awesome fights, many strong characters filled in a comedy/shounen world. The mangas shares many similaritis.
Jun 3, 2013 10:00 PM

Oct 2011
It's almost scary how underrated Toriko is. Just because there's like barely any female characters in it and it's about food shouldn't put you off. I really don't see how it isn't rated higher.
Jun 3, 2013 11:43 PM

Jan 2013
SSJBeastmode said:
It's almost scary how underrated Toriko is. Just because there's like barely any female characters in it and it's about food shouldn't put you off. I really don't see how it isn't rated higher.

I know, right?

Toriko's one of the best shounen mangas out there. Amazing creativity, incredible worldbuilding, and lots of adventure. It's also got some awesome fights and badassery. What's there for a shounen fan not to like?
Salmon is delicious.
Jun 4, 2013 2:57 AM

Apr 2010
Toriko gets better as it goes on. It's like One Piece it needed time to open up.
Jun 4, 2013 3:26 AM
Nov 2011
IO but I'm having a hard time finding it on this website!!! Like wth man I think it was a great manga extremely overlooked no overly drawn out plot or typical ridiculous copy paste characters. Though there is abit of a harem going o between Taiyo and the three sisters. I mention this to most people and no one knows what I'm talking about, its so underrated/unpopular its almost unknown lol. Also, I second whoever mentioned Onani master Kurosawa tthat's one of my favs.
MeedaKJun 4, 2013 3:42 AM
Jun 5, 2013 10:33 PM

Jan 2013
Speedhoven said:
Exaccus said:
Speedhoven said:

People with swords who wield great and diffrent kinds of power. Awesome fights, many strong characters filled in a comedy/shounen world. The mangas shares many similaritis.

No they don't. The setting, plots, characters, artwork, superpowers, quality of writing, etc are all completely different.
Salmon is delicious.
Jun 6, 2013 3:59 AM

Sep 2008
Exaccus said:
Speedhoven said:
Exaccus said:
Speedhoven said:

No they don't. The setting, plots, characters, artwork, superpowers, quality of writing, etc are all completely different.

Yes, but that does not name what i wrote any less true. Get over it.
Jun 6, 2013 9:46 AM

Oct 2008
Legend of the strongest man Kurosawa: Great seinen, both funny and tragic. Takes a while to get into it though.

Sekitou Elergy: Funny romance which made me laugh out loud a couple of times. (this usually never happens). Not entirely scanlated though

Harukana Machi-E: Great Seinen, just read it!

Homunculus: Realistic art, best I've ever seen. Psychological manga, very deep
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Jun 6, 2013 1:00 PM

Apr 2013
For any martial arts fan try TEKKEN CHINMI http://myanimelist.net/manga/1100/Tekken_Chinmi

I can argue it is one of the best martial arts manga ever, the arts gradually gets better and stable, and the fight is pretty intense. The only problem is it hards to find online, while i got lucky because it was translated to comic in my country.
highly recommended manga and worth a treasure if you can find it
SSJBeastmode said:

really? toriko is fucking popular and even get cross over with one piece, it is obviously not underrated.. although I am actually unaware as how toriko fares in MAL..
Jun 6, 2013 6:03 PM

May 2013
Assasination Classroom I just recently started reading it but it was really good !
Jun 8, 2013 11:03 AM
Mar 2011
I don't remember if i've posted in this thread before, but more people need to read Glass Mask.
Jun 8, 2013 2:08 PM

Mar 2013
Teresa_21 said:
Assasination Classroom I just recently started reading it but it was really good !

It's getting popular I think.

Horimiya is by the way the best manga I've ever read.
Jun 12, 2013 12:44 PM

Dec 2012
Moune said:
Kyou Kara Ore Wa!! is a really good manga. I laughed so many times, I recommend it to everyone.

Man, this shit is so great. Only "delinquent" manga I liked, prolly cuz it didn't try to be serious or realistic. The characters were so fuggin hilarious. Ocha nigosu is by the same guy and it's underrated as well. Try that one. Kkow is better, but it's still hilarious.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
NiyawaJan 14, 2015 6:58 PM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 12, 2013 5:56 PM

Mar 2008
I think works by Tamura Yumi are very underrated for as epic as they are. It almost ruined shoujo for me in comparison with her epic intense plots and characters. She has a more classic style but it goes well with her stories. They may not be for everyone, but I feel like cannot praise them enough.

Basara - Epic story (historical, romance, war)
7 Seeds - Epic story (sci-fi, future, survival, romance)

Other shoujo titles that seem less popular but are among my favorites. I've noticed I've gotten tired of a lot of the standard shoujo titles and have gone for older titles, or ones that are different for one reason or another.

Can't Lose You - Manhua, modern and some inspiration by Prince and the Pauper Good romane with intrigue.

Glass Mask - Popular in Japan but seems less appreciated over here?

Anatolia Story - Modern girl thrown into historical/fantasy and it's politics and intrigue

Ashita no Ousama - Nice characters and story, style reminds me a bit more of Hana Yori Dango

Cat Street - Among my favorite more slice of life romances

Immortal Rain - Great fantasy/adventure/romance. Shoujo with a shounen feel?
Sugar Sugar Rune - Very cute but in a quirky way, manga is much better than anime
Jun 12, 2013 10:35 PM

Nov 2012
A Distant Neighborhood
Should be read by all... I feel like I mentioned this before...
Jun 13, 2013 12:35 AM

Mar 2013
3nvy said:
StarMasayume said:
7 Seeds - Epic story (sci-fi, future, survival, romance)

Read this one. Disliked the art and couldn't get over how stupid the concept was. I mean you'd think the government could think of something just a bit more efficient. Also should be noted that it's quite highly rated on this site, and it's not very popular in terms of rank, but I see it mentioned quite a lot.

I love how you seem to have read every manga mentioned here :)
Jun 25, 2013 5:17 PM

Aug 2012
Takemitsu Zamurai, I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, way too many pages to scroll through.

I just started reading it and I'm very impressed. The story isn't mind-blowing, but the art is. Not because it's atypical, but because it manages to say much more besides of the obvious action, there are so many little nuances, it's marvelous. You can really tell that the artist thought things through and isn't just drawing to accommodate the story.
Jun 26, 2013 1:28 AM

Dec 2012
Yandere Kanojo: The title may be pretty misleading, and the main plot basically boils down to a not particularly surprising romantic comedy, but damn if this isn't some of the best handling of supporting characters in a comedy that I've seen in a long, loooong time...!
Jun 26, 2013 11:04 AM

Jun 2013
Tower of God, anyone? It's a manhwa/webcomic but I'm quite sure it still counts. On first glance it may seem to be another one of those boring cliché adventures, but the story's truly amazing. Great character development, concepts, action scenes, comedy and much more.

Jun 26, 2013 6:55 PM

Mar 2013
Androssi said:
Tower of God, anyone? It's a manhwa/webcomic but I'm quite sure it still counts. On first glance it may seem to be another one of those boring cliché adventures, but the story's truly amazing. Great character development, concepts, action scenes, comedy and much more.

Tower is God is amazing and truly underrated outside of South Korea. Season 2 is with Jyo Viole Grace is even better. Everything about the series is diverse and fresh in it's own way which is nice.

A truly good series called "Ares" is very underrated. It'slike roman times mix in with modern trends with also swordsmanship and unique weapons for fighting. The character development is good and you'll like at least one or more of the three main characters in the series.
Jun 29, 2013 6:44 AM

Aug 2011
Underrated: CRASH!
Looks like a reverse harem but is actually a love triangle.
A really well written female MC.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Jun 30, 2013 4:05 AM

Jun 2013
Can I add light novels? I think Kyoukai no Kanata is underrated and not too popular but it's gonna get an anime adaptation though. I'm excited. :)
Jul 1, 2013 9:04 AM

Jun 2013
BECK!!!
For the love of god, Beck is so underrated it hurts.
Jul 1, 2013 5:16 PM

Aug 2012
One more: I just realized that only 157 people have listed Koukou Kyuuji Zawa-san in their lists, which is a shame, because it's one of the most endearing, funny things i've ever read.
Jul 2, 2013 5:25 AM

Jun 2011
Unpopular - Eden: it's an endless world.
guys read it and thank me later.
Jul 2, 2013 8:47 AM

Oct 2008
OnePieceQ8 said:
Unpopular - Eden: it's an endless world.
guys read it and thank me later.

The story is very interesting and the art is really good. But after a while it goes downhill. I don´t know what the mangaka was thinking, but he fucked it up really badd.
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - 2 hours ago

0 by MagrMal »»
2 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

21 by malvarez1 »»
8 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

52 by Luxology »»
11 hours ago

» Ur fav manga

Aoust_Adenca - Mar 10, 2023

21 by eatyourgreenz »»
Yesterday, 2:49 PM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5932 by _KaSa »»
Yesterday, 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.