Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 11, 2014 6:03 PM

Sep 2007
RICEA42991 said:
doodlemancy said:
The SuperS season of Sailor Moon is also a huge letdown after Classic, R, and the fantastic season that is S. I wanted to like it (because I love Sailor Moon) but it just isn't that interesting.

Lol as much as I absolutely love the Sailor Moon series; I agree with you. The SuperS season in the anime was very weak. I personally didn't really care for Chibi-Usa that much to have a whole season just for her. It would have been great as a side event happening along the series.

I didn't hate SuperS, but agreed, it was the weakest arc in the anime. The manga version was actually quite interesting because it had a lot of backstory for Mamoru (and in general the pacing is much better in the manga). The romance between Chibiusa and Helios was also handled better. But then again, the manga is pretty much superior to the anime in all arcs. I'd say only S anime arc comes close to rivalling the manga. Also Chibiusa isn't as obnoxious and that's a big plus too~

About Madoka: Am I the only one who loved it? I thought it was neat how they took it in such a dark direction. Love my light hearted mahou shoujo too, but I also enjoy it a lot when someone takes the genre and does something different with it. Above that, it was quite well executed in terms of foreshadowing, story logic, and climax & conclusion. Also finally someone did a sad and destructive character right! Heck yes Sayaka!
Mar 12, 2014 4:21 PM
May 2008
soaring_wings said:
RICEA42991 said:
doodlemancy said:
The SuperS season of Sailor Moon is also a huge letdown after Classic, R, and the fantastic season that is S. I wanted to like it (because I love Sailor Moon) but it just isn't that interesting.

Lol as much as I absolutely love the Sailor Moon series; I agree with you. The SuperS season in the anime was very weak. I personally didn't really care for Chibi-Usa that much to have a whole season just for her. It would have been great as a side event happening along the series.

I didn't hate SuperS, but agreed, it was the weakest arc in the anime. The manga version was actually quite interesting.

About Madoka: Am I the only one who loved it?

Yeah about SuperS; I was referring to the anime only, and I think dooblemacy was too. :)

As for Madoka, I was agreeing that it was a bit overrated since the majority like it only because it was hardly anything like the usual magical girl. Not that being dark is a bad thing, I was referring mainly to it's hype.

I personally though, haven't watched it. From what I heard, it doesn't like seem my type of anime.
Mar 25, 2014 11:39 AM

Feb 2012
Hmmm. That would be Madoka. I watched the series to the end, but it was pretty boring sometimes.
Jun 29, 2014 6:23 PM

Feb 2012
Yeah, Madoka would be one, but I've seen some "normal" mahou shoujo that I didn't think were actually the best of the bunch either (such as Dokidoki Precure). I have seen plenty of deconstuction shows in another classic genre (that being mecha) and I rarely ever like them. It just reminded me of Zambot 3, which I sometimes don't know what to think of. Basically the reasons to watch these type of shows are usually anything but that and being an oddity only tends to attract non-genre fans who don't appreciate the appeal to begin with.
Sep 16, 2014 9:14 AM

Jun 2012
Makes me kinda sad to see some people passionately hating on Mermaid Melody :P
And it's the very anime that got me into anime in the first place. Loved all the songs and everything and I am totally obsessed and too biased to properly defend it. We all got our tastes I guess :D

For mahou shoujo anime that I didn't like:

Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou
I didn't hate it. But it was average and meh... Nothing about it that I particularly liked. It felt like it was trying to become Madoka with it's dark theme and plot, but it just wasn't good.

Magic Knight Rayearth
I wouldn't even count this as real mahou shoujo anime, but some people do, so I will mention it. I am crazy about CLAMP titles, and that's why I picked it up in the first place. First season was so-so but second one was just boring as hell. I don't know how I managed to finish it. It was so much focused on mecha fights that were just boring and didn't even look good.
Sep 24, 2014 9:44 AM

Sep 2007
mecharobot said:
Yeah, Madoka would be one, but I've seen some "normal" mahou shoujo that I didn't think were actually the best of the bunch either (such as Dokidoki Precure). I have seen plenty of deconstuction shows in another classic genre (that being mecha) and I rarely ever like them. It just reminded me of Zambot 3, which I sometimes don't know what to think of. Basically the reasons to watch these type of shows are usually anything but that and being an oddity only tends to attract non-genre fans who don't appreciate the appeal to begin with.

I can see your point, but at the same time I disagree because it's never a bad thing to get different folks on board. Sure maybe 90% will hate what regular mahou shoujo do and won't give the genre another look, but that 10% will become fans thanks to the oddity. I know that Escaflowne is kind of an oddity in the mecha genre, for example, because it's really a love story with mecha in it. But it was Escaflowne's oddity that convinced me to give the genre a try. I'm still a newbie and I've only watched a few shows, but I haven enjoyed them and I am now open to watching more.

On top of that, I think deconstructions have their place in a genre. The oddity or the outlier give flavour to a genre. I do love mahou shoujo, but I also appreciate it when someone takes this genre and does something different with it. Anyway, I swear I'll leave this to rest now. I just wanted to get this point across because I appreciate Modoka a lot for these two reasons.

@Mladen: I'm sorry. :( It just had the tropes and setup that drive me mad. And if it makes you feel better, I'm feeling the same way about Madoka in this thread. :(

Mladen said:
Magic Knight Rayearth
I wouldn't even count this as real mahou shoujo anime, but some people do, so I will mention it. I am crazy about CLAMP titles, and that's why I picked it up in the first place. First season was so-so but second one was just boring as hell. I don't know how I managed to finish it. It was so much focused on mecha fights that were just boring and didn't even look good.

I've only read the first two volumes, so I didn't want to pass judgment on it just yet, but same, I'm feeling pretty meh about Rayearth right now. It's not bad, but the pacing is really throwing me off. Also didn't help that I got TP's editions which were poorly translated and that also started grating on me. Gonna get the Dark Horse omnibus edition and hope that they did a better job with it.
Sep 24, 2014 10:05 AM

Jun 2012
soaring_wings said:

@Mladen: I'm sorry. :( It just had the tropes and setup that drive me mad. And if it makes you feel better, I'm feeling the same way about Madoka in this thread. :(

Mladen said:
Magic Knight Rayearth

I've only read the first two volumes, so I didn't want to pass judgment on it just yet, but same, I'm feeling pretty meh about Rayearth right now. It's not bad, but the pacing is really throwing me off. Also didn't help that I got TP's editions which were poorly translated and that also started grating on me. Gonna get the Dark Horse omnibus edition and hope that they did a better job with it.

I know that feeling, when whole setup annoys you and you can't like anything else about it as a result. It sucks :P

So, manga is not any better than anime as it sounds... That one makes me just extra sad that I didn't like it. It's because I love CLAMP titles and I really wanted to like it, but in the end I couldn't... Maybe if I ignored second season I'd enjoy it more. Oh well...
Sep 24, 2014 2:43 PM

Sep 2007
Mladen said:

So, manga is not any better than anime as it sounds... That one makes me just extra sad that I didn't like it. It's because I love CLAMP titles and I really wanted to like it, but in the end I couldn't... Maybe if I ignored second season I'd enjoy it more. Oh well...

Like I said, I don't want to pass judgment yet since I've only read 2 out of 6 volumes, but my main complaints for those two volumes is the pacing is really weird. Weird like, one moment they are here doing this, the next moment suddenly they have to do something entirely different. I think CLAMP crammed too much into 6 volumes and it threw the pacing off. a lot. I think the anime would handle this better since its longer? The other problem was tokyopop butchered the translation. Every single character from Fuu to Chelf talks in slang. It broke my suspension of disbelief upon re-reading. First time I read it, I liked it enough, but second time as an older reader ... it really grated on me. It's a shame because it does have potential to be something I would like as I like RPGs, I like mecha, I like magical girls, I like fantasy . . . but at the same time you do need to pace it well because it feels rushed and I can't get to like characters if they show up for a chapter then leave; or don't get any character development because the manga is too busy trying to rush to its conclusion. So in short, I really want to like Rayearth and I'm willing to invest more money into it in hopes it pays off because it is something I would normally like. I just hope the Dark Horse translation is better and the latter volumes smooth out the pacing issues. ^^;;
Sep 24, 2014 3:09 PM

Jun 2012
soaring_wings said:
Mladen said:

Like I said, I don't want to pass judgment yet since I've only read 2 out of 6 volumes, but my main complaints for those two volumes is the pacing is really weird. Weird like, one moment they are here doing this, the next moment suddenly they have to do something entirely different. I think CLAMP crammed too much into 6 volumes and it threw the pacing off. a lot. I think the anime would handle this better since its longer? The other problem was tokyopop butchered the translation. Every single character from Fuu to Chelf talks in slang. It broke my suspension of disbelief upon re-reading. First time I read it, I liked it enough, but second time as an older reader ... it really grated on me. It's a shame because it does have potential to be something I would like as I like RPGs, I like mecha, I like magical girls, I like fantasy . . . but at the same time you do need to pace it well because it feels rushed and I can't get to like characters if they show up for a chapter then leave; or don't get any character development because the manga is too busy trying to rush to its conclusion. So in short, I really want to like Rayearth and I'm willing to invest more money into it in hopes it pays off because it is something I would normally like. I just hope the Dark Horse translation is better and the latter volumes smooth out the pacing issues. ^^;;

You might even like anime then. I didn't find pacing bad there. First season was actually pretty nice. And since you like mecha, you might even like second one. Biggest reason I didn't like it is because it had loads of mecha fights and they just bored me to death :P
Sep 25, 2014 6:04 PM

Sep 2007
Mladen said:
You might even like anime then. I didn't find pacing bad there. First season was actually pretty nice. And since you like mecha, you might even like second one. Biggest reason I didn't like it is because it had loads of mecha fights and they just bored me to death :P

Yeah, I'll definitely need to give the anime a go. I'm still willing to give the manga another shot too, so I have to try the anime. XD It's gonna depend for me. I do like mecha, but it better not just be fights with little to no context or reason. Or fights that drag *fashbacks to DBZ**shutter*
Sep 25, 2014 7:45 PM

Jun 2012
soaring_wings said:
Mladen said:

Yeah, I'll definitely need to give the anime a go. I'm still willing to give the manga another shot too, so I have to try the anime. XD It's gonna depend for me. I do like mecha, but it better not just be fights with little to no context or reason. Or fights that drag *fashbacks to DBZ**shutter*

On the contrary, I think there's too much context xD

Few times I was just wishing for them ti shut up, fight fast and end it. They talked a lot... And fights weren't that short either :P
Nov 11, 2014 8:49 AM

Oct 2008
I dislike many of the more recent magical girl anime series that are made for a male audience because they have very dumb or generic stories and their only and weak eppeal is the fanservice inserted, using the magical girl theme and aesthetics for the kawaii or moe factor.

And a very personal dislike for me is Wedding Peach because I can't take off of my mind that the animated version is a weak and very dumb Sailor Moon ripoff.

Jan 9, 2017 5:44 AM

Dec 2013
Hime Chen! Otogi Chikku Idol Lilpri. The side characters absolutely ruined it in every way. Out of every anime I've seen, this one is by far the worst case of being ruined by annoying side characters. I really liked the soundtrack, but still.
Jan 10, 2017 12:00 PM
May 2008
SourcererZ said:
I dislike many of the more recent magical girl anime series that are made for a male audience because they have very dumb or generic stories and their only and weak eppeal is the fanservice inserted, using the magical girl theme and aesthetics for the kawaii or moe factor.

I agree with you so much SorcererZ, it's sad but true. I hate that.

PinkPearlVoice said:
Hime Chen! Otogi Chikku Idol Lilpri. The side characters absolutely ruined it in every way. Out of every anime I've seen, this one is by far the worst case of being ruined by annoying side characters. I really liked the soundtrack, but still.

That's the first mention of that anime in this thread. Yeah that anime is close to being an idol shoujo anime, but it's a rare exception in this case. Looks like I haven't missed much by not seeing it.
Jan 10, 2017 6:51 PM

Dec 2013
RICEA42991 said:
SourcererZ said:

That sounds absolutely awful. I've never even heard of a series like that, thankfully. Probably because I don't pay much attention to newer series, and because I have been catching up with older series only with 40+ episodes (I have a loooong way to go). But there are so many decent magical girl series out there, that I don't know why anybody who likes magical girl anime for what they are, would watch what something like what you just described. Instead of watching that, go find an underrated gem! There's a lot of them out there, even if you've seen most of the well known ones. Even if some aren't the best in the universe, most are probably better than what you described.
Jan 11, 2017 12:51 PM
May 2008
PinkPearlVoice said:
RICEA42991 said:

That sounds absolutely awful. I've never even heard of a series like that, thankfully. Probably because I don't pay much attention to newer series, and because I have been catching up with older series only with 40+ episodes (I have a loooong way to go). But there are so many decent magical girl series out there, that I don't know why anybody who likes magical girl anime for what they are, would watch what something like what you just described. Instead of watching that, go find an underrated gem! There's a lot of them out there, even if you've seen most of the well known ones. Even if some aren't the best in the universe, most are probably better than what you described.

Oh believe me I haven't given hardly any of my time to those type of series, like you I usually watch older series, infact I hardly watch recently made anime. There are gems out there. However even if I don't watch them, the news of the new anime's release reaches me and what it's about spreads and that's how I know how bad some new series are.

For example I have never watched Madoka, but I definitely know it's not my type of magical girl show. As for the fanservice and male audience while I don't remember any titles right now...I do know it's been happening alot recently.
Mar 26, 2018 11:32 AM

Feb 2016
I can only think of these two.
- Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku (not that bad. It's just ''ok'')
- Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desu kara.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Jul 17, 2019 2:47 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Okay, first off, sorry for all of the quoting and how long this will be, but I really want to respond to these despite how old these messages are, so here goes...

Panda-Chan said:

I haven't seen the anime, but I didn't like the manga version of Kamichama Karin. I felt that Karin was too self-pitying, and it annoyed me that she had a crush on a boy who constantly belittled her and her gender. I didn't get past volume one, and I'm probably not going to.

I also didn't like Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch all that much either. I tried reading the manga, but I felt it was kind of boring, and I just couldn't get into the anime.

I made the mistake of reading through the whole manga of Kamichama Karin, and it's as bad as you said here. As much as I ended up liking Koge-Donbo*'s art style, Karin never feels like she improves beyond her self-pity and the plot twists at the end were just... bad. Felt like the author just put out the most surprising and ridiculous ideas out there. I have no idea how this ended up getting a sequel, but I sure as hell won't read it.

As for Mermaid Melody, I ended up reading the whole manga since I like the art style and concept (I really like things related to The Little Mermaid and mermaids, it seems). It's okay. It does feel boring at parts, but it was okay. Dunno if I would re-read it or watch the anime (one of the openings that has Eri Kitamura was pretty cool though, even if I hear nothing but Sayaka Miki through it lol).

soaring_wings said:

About Madoka: Am I the only one who loved it? I thought it was neat how they took it in such a dark direction. Love my light hearted mahou shoujo too, but I also enjoy it a lot when someone takes the genre and does something different with it. Above that, it was quite well executed in terms of foreshadowing, story logic, and climax & conclusion. Also finally someone did a sad and destructive character right! Heck yes Sayaka!

Nope, you're not the only one-- in fact, it's my favorite anime of all time at the moment (yes, I love it that much!!!)! I didn't really think about how it was dark compared to other magical girl series until after I finished watching it, but I really do love the story, the music, the visuals.... *sigh* I also really adore Madoka and Homura.
I do hate how it started a trend of almost every non-PreCure magical girl show being super dark and edgy, cuz I do like light-hearted magical girl shows too and those are starting to fade (thank god Machikado Mazoku became this season's light for me)... but I will forever treasure the show and the movies (yes, I loved Rebellion, fight me) and how it made me want to explore all kinds of things.

Oh, and on your thoughts on Tokyo Mew Mew-- I do agree that Ichigo and her boy-crazy over Masaya got annoying over time. It's funny how the manga that shaped my early drawing style ended up not aging too well for me. I'm one of the few that likes Berry more (maybe cuz I actually accidentally started with the very end of the Tokyo Mew Mew manga with the sequel first)... she's just more tolerable and a better role model in my opinion.

Mladen said:

Magic Knight Rayearth

That's a bit of a shame, I got the Dark Horse omnibus a while ago and I was actually enjoying it. I really liked the character designs, the old CLAMP art style is wonderful to look at, and I do like some of the RPG references so far (I'm still reading it). I also watched the first episode a while ago and liked it (that opening is awesome!!!). To each their own, I guess.

SourcererZ said:

And a very personal dislike for me is Wedding Peach because I can't take off of my mind that the animated version is a weak and very dumb Sailor Moon ripoff.

First off, I just want to say that I love your Magical Girl Anime History series on YouTube! I lost count of how many times I've watched it and it's a shame it's not continuing...
Anyway, sorry for being off topic there. It does suck that the magical girl genre is sometimes being used as fan service nowadays, so I agree with you there. And I do agree that Wedding Peach very much seems like a Sailor Moon rip off-- Momoko is pretty much a carbon copy of Usagi and her relationship with Yousuke feels very much like Usagi's relationship with Mamoru. But I did give the manga a try a while ago and it wasn't too bad for me. I dunno, I'll have to read more of it...

-Ayu said:
I can only think of these two.
- Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku (not that bad. It's just ''ok'')
- Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desu kara.

I share your opinion on Magical Girl Raising Project. I really like many of the character designs of the magical girls and a battle royale idea sounded cool, but the ending was just... meh. Aside from the opening and maybe the ED, it's not very memorable to me.
I haven't seen I've Had Enough of Being a Magical Girl yet so I can't really say anything on that show, but the rating in MAL is dangerously low....... not sure if I would consider watching it anyway.
Jul 18, 2019 2:03 AM

Jun 2012
Fario-P said:

As for Mermaid Melody, I ended up reading the whole manga since I like the art style and concept (I really like things related to The Little Mermaid and mermaids, it seems). It's okay. It does feel boring at parts, but it was okay. Dunno if I would re-read it or watch the anime (one of the openings that has Eri Kitamura was pretty cool though, even if I hear nothing but Sayaka Miki through it lol).

For me personally, the biggest draw of Mermaid Melody are the songs. I don't think manga does it justice just because of that. So if you don't want to watch the anime because of the manga, try listening to few songs on YouTube and maybe you'll reconsider :D

Mladen said:

Magic Knight Rayearth

Fario-P said:
That's a bit of a shame, I got the Dark Horse omnibus a while ago and I was actually enjoying it. I really liked the character designs, the old CLAMP art style is wonderful to look at, and I do like some of the RPG references so far (I'm still reading it). I also watched the first episode a while ago and liked it (that opening is awesome!!!). To each their own, I guess.

Oh wow, I made that comment 5 years ago! To be honest, I hardly even remember all the details of the anime at this point. The opening is awesome, I agree. I actually found the opening randomly and fell in love with it even before I even saw the anime. I love CLAMP style as well, like I said, that was my reason to start it. Also, I liked the fantasy, RPG, and all of that. What I didn't like is the second season that was too focused on mecha. My taste changed quite a bit, so I might even enjoy it now. Still, I have the first season in a good memory, even after all these years. So the anime couldn't have been bad :P
Jul 18, 2019 4:58 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Mladen said:
Fario-P said:

For me personally, the biggest draw of Mermaid Melody are the songs. I don't think manga does it justice just because of that. So if you don't want to watch the anime because of the manga, try listening to few songs on YouTube and maybe you'll reconsider :D

Mladen said:

Magic Knight Rayearth

Fario-P said:

Oh wow, I made that comment 5 years ago! To be honest, I hardly even remember all the details of the anime at this point. The opening is awesome, I agree. I actually found the opening randomly and fell in love with it even before I even saw the anime. I love CLAMP style as well, like I said, that was my reason to start it. Also, I liked the fantasy, RPG, and all of that. What I didn't like is the second season that was too focused on mecha. My taste changed quite a bit, so I might even enjoy it now. Still, I have the first season in a good memory, even after all these years. So the anime couldn't have been bad :P

I mean I won't lie, I did like that opening for the Pure season. Maybe it's cuz all I heard was Sayaka Miki's voice (extra saddening considering that character), but it's a good song
Maybe I'll give it a chance

I don't think I've ever watched a mecha show before, but I think I'll still give Rayearth a try. I mean, I don't know many magical girl anime with mechas other than this season's Granbelm and an OVA that I've heard of called Genmu Senki Leda, so originality like that is always gonna catch my eye. Thanks for your two cents, though! :)
Apr 13, 2022 12:19 AM

Oct 2008
There might be many like some recent series that try to imitate Madoka Magica's formula or some that use magical girls just to add something to an idol themed anime like Primagi series.

But my all time consistent series I don't like are:

Lyrical Nanoha, because it uses the magical girls theme to disguise a shounen action series with the expected action packed fights and fanservice with lolis and later with sexy girls.

Wedding Peach, a very obvious Sailor Moon rip-off with a more nonsensical story, a more annoying protagonist, the wedding theme feels too forced and it's notorious how some of the creators of the series had not a very good idea what kind of themes, things and stories appeal to a female audience using mostly cringey cliches.

Sorry for the double post, I just notice I already posted a previous anwer.
SourcererZApr 14, 2022 3:03 PM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What is your favourite Magical Girl Anime?

soaring_wings - Oct 7, 2008

32 by Dreamingone »»
Mar 29, 10:15 PM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

7 by ooReiko »»
Mar 1, 2:19 PM

» What mahou-shoujo anime are you watching

pinkrupee - Mar 22, 2013

25 by ooReiko »»
Feb 9, 2023 2:31 PM

» Non fighting Magical Girls, had you watched or read any of these kind of series?

SourcererZ - Nov 11, 2014

6 by RICEA42991 »»
Nov 29, 2022 12:17 AM

Sticky: » Club Announcements/Updates/News

RICEA42991 - Sep 20, 2022

0 by RICEA42991 »»
Sep 20, 2022 12:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.