Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 20, 2013 7:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The episode was alright for me. The place they're visiting looks beautiful imo with that majestic atmosphere and the mountain breeze.

I also got this slight Another vibe from the episode. Oh well, I hope Suzuhara will show her powers right cause the group looks like they're in a bit of danger.
Apr 20, 2013 7:56 AM

Nov 2007
Having fun together. Wow, he died taking a nap? She ate too many fruits with alcohol, causing her to act strange and met the soul of the dead one?

That student council thing sounds too heavy. And testing of the guy.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 20, 2013 10:47 AM

Aug 2009
slow episode x.x
not much going on >~<
Apr 20, 2013 11:29 PM

Jul 2011
NO SUBS ? :( still..? Well sounds interesting by the comments above. can't wait darn it.

Edit:

Oh snap, things got real here. Mayura is so cool. Haha drunk izumiko.

So Mayura is suspecting Mayuki because students who transfer in pose a threat to this so called Ichijou. But what she doesn't know, is that Izumiko is the real threat.
Seems rather interesting. And who the hell is Ichijou.

Anyways good ep.
MoonXArtemisApr 23, 2013 11:15 PM
Apr 21, 2013 8:05 PM

Jul 2010
Damn, what a cliffhanger.

Mayura's Tengus VS Miyuki.
Can't wait for next EP. :>
Apr 22, 2013 7:10 PM

Aug 2008
Does anyone know when subs are going to come out?
Apr 23, 2013 10:05 AM

Nov 2012
Not a whole lot happened this episode. They went to a retreat for the student council, Izumiko got drunk off punch and met with Masumi's ghost that night. He's seem interested in her for one reason or another.

At the end looks like the start of a battle between Miyuki and Mayura because she wants to test his powers.
Apr 23, 2013 10:13 AM

Feb 2012
I officially have no idea what's going on in the story anymore, so I'm gonna pretend this is a shoujo YYH.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2013 10:31 AM

Sep 2012
Lol @ drunk Izumiko. Miyuki was panicking XDD
Apr 23, 2013 11:37 AM

Jan 2012
Another boring episode. Wonder if there will be anythyng interesting by the end of the series. Though, next ep seems promising.
Apr 23, 2013 11:56 AM

Jan 2008
Finally, some more action coming up...I can't wait to see what Miyuki has up his sleeve, that's if he has anything at all.
Apr 23, 2013 12:32 PM

Oct 2011
The gang are going on a trip. Manatsu calls Miyuki: Shinkou. Izumiko is drunk XD. Ohhhhhh Izumiko talks to Masumi !!!! World Heritage Canditate?? Oh crap Mayura is challenging Miyuki.
Apr 23, 2013 12:43 PM

Dec 2011
The highlight of the episode for me is Izumiko getting drunk! She was fruit-punched alright.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2013 1:35 PM

Aug 2011
Honestly, I think this episode was great. There are a lot of people saying that it was boring, but I don't see why. This is obviously a slow paced anime, and you've got to pay attention to what they say. It's more about character development and story rather than the action.

Izumiko getting drunk XD and Miyuki panicking. They are so cute it's not even funny. And the beginning too, when those two random guys were hitting on them.

So I can never figure out if Mayura and Manatsu are on their side or not even though Mayura said she wants Izumiko as her ally. I feel bad for Miyuki, he just doesn't want to be involved in this. But it looks like he can't focus on that at the moment. :/

But great episode, I don't have a problem with the slow pacing, it feels refreshing.
Apr 23, 2013 2:57 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Nice episode, although not as exciting as the previous episodes, but still enjoyable. Izumiko being drunk was pretty funny and I love Miyuki's panicked reaction XD Interesting scene with Manatsu and Izumiko. And we still don't really know what to think of Miyuki...he doesn't really want to get involved in this whole thing, but Mayura's father thinks otherwise (random, but a lot of their names start with "m"). But that last scene. Things are getting good!
Apr 23, 2013 3:16 PM
Apr 2013
Enjoying the episode so far. xD Miyuki's reaction to Izumiko being drunk was PRICELESS. I love these tiny love segments of people talking about Izumiko and Miyuki being partners. I WISH THEY'D JUST FALL IN LOVE ALREADY <3
Now what's up with all these new events? Candidate? HUH? And hoo hoo! Miyuki is screwed. A showdown between Mayura and Miyuki :3

(I hope Izumiko shows her power soon to the triplets! :D )
Apr 23, 2013 3:55 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
tingy said:
And we still don't really know what to think of Miyuki...he doesn't really want to get involved in this whole thing, but Mayura's father thinks otherwise
He doesn't want to get involved, but he wants to protect Izumiko, and Izumiko will not be given a choice in the matter.

Big information dump this episode. A lot was explained.
Apr 23, 2013 4:09 PM

Jan 2013
Hopefully an awesome fight happens next episode, granted i still like the episodes where they explain and talk, much like this one.
Apr 23, 2013 5:10 PM
Oct 2010
what a bitch. i want her to be my ally so fight me. wtf skank
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Apr 23, 2013 5:16 PM

Jan 2013
I thought it was an interesting episode... That must have been some stroooong fruit salad. She was pretty cute drunk. I look forward to next weeks episode.
"What color do you want to be?" -Shiina Mashiro
Apr 23, 2013 5:28 PM

Mar 2012
I enjoyed this episode quite a bit despite my confusion in all of the different people and names being mentioned in the conversation between Izumiko and Mayura. I wasn't sure who most of those people mentioned were.

Dang, Mayura got scary fast. And I really like Masumi already. The little parts of this episode referring back to him and the concept that he will never grow up like the other two triplets got me really interested in him as a character. Izumiko is starting to grow on me, and I'm liking Miyuki more and more the more we get to know about him. Not the most eventful series of the season, but I actually think it's among the best shows so far this season because of the atmosphere and the way it's been handling its characters.
Apr 23, 2013 5:31 PM

Jan 2013
This is one of those anime where I read the subtitles but don't go through the effort to understand the story. Just not into it
Apr 23, 2013 6:35 PM

May 2012
really mysterious episode in my opinion, liked that cliff hanger ending.
also laughed at suzuhara-san getting drunk xD
Apr 23, 2013 7:27 PM

Aug 2008
Well that escalated quickly. I now understand nothing.

There are 3 factions? A battle between Takayanagi's side and their side for some kind of supreme position and benefits? Where does the student council factor in all this? What does the neutral party do? Auughsdhjnmsdcvcb

At least Izumiko was adorable as usual in this ep.
Apr 23, 2013 9:20 PM

May 2010
Finally I was able to hear those beautiful ending and opening songs again:)

So Miyuki has some kind of hidden powers...
Apr 23, 2013 9:21 PM

Nov 2009
My first dropped anime in a while.

I love P.A Works but this anime doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

I've actually used episodes 4 and 5 when they aired to help me drift off to sleep. I just didnt get a connection this time. Here's hoping P.A Works have a better project next time. =(
Apr 23, 2013 11:08 PM

Aug 2011
It's been like 6 episodes and I still don't get it....... That may be because I haven't been paying attention though. This is one wacky anime.
Apr 23, 2013 11:25 PM

May 2012
Waaaa.. cliffhanger! This is getting more and more interesting. Wondering if Sagara really have something up his sleeves for this..

Although, I don't still get the main point. Seems like their school is filled with "special" students.
Apr 24, 2013 2:01 AM
Apr 2013
I agree, not much has been happening lately, though it seems like this episode was to set up the plot for the rest of the series. I'm intrigued definitely, and these damn cliff hangers keep pissing me off!!! I want more!!!
Apr 24, 2013 2:17 AM
Mar 2013
that was new to see her drunk XD unexpected scene rofl
Apr 24, 2013 2:31 AM
Sep 2012
It looks like Izumiko and his boyfriend-cum-underling are being dragged into some frat war between the Takayanagi and the twins segue a powerful deity possessing Izumiko that is somehow attracted to the boyfriend-cum-underling that has a dad who likes to abuse his son and has hots for Izumiko. Yup, interesting.
bippoApr 24, 2013 2:34 AM
Apr 24, 2013 3:25 AM

Jan 2009
Boring episode? There was a nice chunk of information about the inner workings of the school tossed our way. Oh wait there wasn't loud explosions or booms going on, my bad....>.>

It be interesting to see if Miyuki has been holding something back this entire time, but I think the only thing he's hiding is Izumiko's secret.....
Apr 24, 2013 5:54 AM

Jun 2012
I like how the focus switches from world destruction to taking over the student council. Something like that.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Apr 24, 2013 6:25 AM

Mar 2012
I won't pretend that I understand anything from this episode. Well, maybe a bit but... oh hell...

Anyway, I also love the scene with Izumiko and Masumi :)
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG : http://shiizumi.wordpress.com/
Apr 24, 2013 11:02 AM
Oct 2012
I think one thing that would go a long way towards explaining this show to people (particularly foreigners who don't understand Japanese spiritual gods, but also I believe to a great many Japanese themselves)
would be if the writers had made a clearer distinction between what people think Izumiko is and what she actually is, between a mere spirit medium and the actual advent of a goddess.

If they had done this, then all the interactions with say the siblings of the Onmyoushi would have been clearer and given the viewer a more of an understanding of the various people's reactions.

I myself do "get" what is going on, but that is because I brought a ton of pre-existing knowledge to this show. I imagine most people watching are pretty baffled.
Apr 24, 2013 12:23 PM

Nov 2011
5/5

This time they are good and do the honors while not 100% convincing, the plot still does not show us situations of pure adrenaline and storytelling in this episode is a bit slow! The nice thing is the diversity of contexts in which there is the history, and the fantastic designs!
Apr 24, 2013 1:29 PM

Apr 2012
So Izumiko is actually really powerful? What's all this stuff about teams? ;-; It seems to have all gone over my head.
u gay
Apr 24, 2013 2:12 PM
Oct 2012
little-flower said:
So Izumiko is actually really powerful? What's all this stuff about teams? ;-; It seems to have all gone over my head.

In Japan, the Gods (known as Kami) come in all different shapes and sizes, all arranged in an hierarchical order from the top down. Some of the lesser Kami are not much stronger than humans, others extremely stronger than humans. Strong humans can become Kami on their death.

Kamis can possess "vessels", usually in the form of a rock or a tree. The more powerful Kami's can also "possess" people, usually Shrine Maidens (Miko in japanese). This possession usually takes the form of trances, where the god can give advice or impart some blessing. Mountain Monks like Sagara train for years to be able to possess this power.

Everyone at the school thinks that this is all Izumiko is, a shrine maiden who can be possessed. What confused the Onmyoushi was that Izumiko had the ability to spot his paper familiar, something she should have only been able to do in a trance. When he thew beans at her and placed the talisman on her back , he was trying to perform an exorcism, i.e. driving the spirit inside of her away, because he assumed that she was possessed by some sort demon or kami.

Izumiko is not merely a spiritual vessel though, when her powers fully awake the goddess and her will co-exist in the same body. Because she is still young the goddess overwhelms her. This is why she cannot immediately remember what happens. But very soon Izumiko will be able to remain aware, and to a great degree have full access to this Kami's power.

And while the god has not been named, and while we do not yet know if RDG is adhering to Japanese mythology, it is hinted that the goddess is Amaterasu, the Japanese Sun Goddess who is at the pinnacle of power in the Japanese pantheon. On top of that, this Goddess has stated that Izumiko will be her last vessel, which means that Izumiko will inherent the complete godhead, not just a part of it.

If the other characters knew who she was channeling, their attitudes would be strikingly different. The "shadow" council president in episode 5 also channels a god, and you can see what HIS reaction to finding out who Izumiko was channeling. So yes, she is extremely powerful.

Alternatively, in that she is from the Kumano shrine complex, the goddess may not be Amaterasu, but actually the manifestation of Kannon, the buddhist emanation of Mercy. To explain how that would work would require a longer post, so I will just state this as another very strong, perhaps strongest, possibility, though not the way I hope they go (because if you think things are complex now, wait until they try to explain how that works).
Takuan_SohoApr 24, 2013 2:28 PM
Apr 24, 2013 2:17 PM

Feb 2012
Pretty laid back episode.
Apr 24, 2013 3:35 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
And while the god has not been named, and while we do not yet know if RDG is adhering to Japanese mythology, it is hinted that the goddess is Amaterasu, the Japanese Sun Goddess who is at the pinnacle of power in the Japanese pantheon. On top of that, this Goddess has stated that Izumiko will be her last vessel, which means that Izumiko will inherent the complete godhead, not just a part of it.

Alternatively, in that she is from the Kumano shrine complex, the goddess may not be Amaterasu, but actually the manifestation of Kannon, the buddhist emanation of Mercy. To explain how that would work would require a longer post, so I will just state this as another very strong, perhaps strongest, possibility, though not the way I hope they go (because if you think things are complex now, wait until they try to explain how that works).
Based on some contradictory hints, I've been wondering if perhaps there might be TWO kami involved (unlikely as that may be - I don't really have anything to point to to support that and don't much credit it myself). Wouldn't it be fun if both Amaterasu and Kannon were somehow trying to use Izumiko?
Apr 24, 2013 4:18 PM
Oct 2012
Cratex said:
Based on some contradictory hints, I've been wondering if perhaps there might be TWO kami involved (unlikely as that may be - I don't really have anything to point to to support that and don't much credit it myself). Wouldn't it be fun if both Amaterasu and Kannon were somehow trying to use Izumiko?

Humm, I would be curious which hints you are thinking of, because I can easily explain how there could be two kami involved based solely on the Kumano angle, and how this could provide a profound meaning to this animation, and tie in the title all in one feel swoop.
Apr 24, 2013 7:04 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
Humm, I would be curious which hints you are thinking of, because I can easily explain how there could be two kami involved based solely on the Kumano angle, and how this could provide a profound meaning to this animation, and tie in the title all in one feel swoop.
Not a lot I can put my finger on. Some bits of dialog here and there over these 6 episodes give me a gut feeling that different groups are expecting different things of Izumiko, as if there might be different paths for her to follow. However, focusing just on the two times Izumiko channeled something, the first time it seemed that the spirit possessing her felt the need to dress her up at the time as well as tell Miyuki's father to take care of Izumiko as her vessel, as if the spirit was looking forward to when she could merge with Izumiko, and it also talked about someone ("he") trying to catch her. However, the second time Izumiko was possessed the spirit didn't bother changing clothes, and also specifically told Miyuki to prevent Izumiko from manifesting. This same spirit also told the guy who was the self professed judge that "Izumiko will be the one to choose." It was almost like two different personalities. And then, what would Izumiko be 'choosing'?
Apr 24, 2013 8:44 PM
Oct 2012
Cratex said:
This same spirit also told the guy who was the self professed judge that "Izumiko will be the one to choose." It was almost like two different personalities. And then, what would Izumiko be 'choosing'?

You noticed that too, I thought I was just reading too much into it.

Okay, here is a possibility, it is all historical, but I thought it would be far too much to have in an animation.

Buddhism was introduced to Japan in the sixth century. It's introduction by the Soga clan (based in the Asuka region of Japan (i.e. Yamato), sparked a civil war between the Soga and the Mononobe clan who supported the traditional religion of Japan (it is anachronistic to call it Shinto, but for lack of better word we will call it Shinto). The Soga won initiating the "Asuka" period (538-710), one of the earliest eras in Japanese history where we actually have written records.

Buddhism won, but for the next several centuries it was primarily an elite religion, the main stay of people still worshiped the traditional gods, who were mostly nature gods. The Yamato area of Japan is part of the greater Kumano region and is considered the homeland of the Japanese. In this region there were three deities, who were the personification of the three mountain ranges in this region. These could be considered some of the founding Gods of Japan (most of the other gods were from a competing region called Izumo).

As Buddhism spread in Japan, rather than suppress the traditional gods, buddhism absorbed them. Instead of being Kami, they were considered emanation of the Buddha (Buddhism is monotheistic, but there are many manifestations of the Buddha - big ones being Amida, Yakushi and Kannon. Each of this manifestations focused on some attribute of the Buddha).

While this syncretism occurred throughout Japan (every shirne was associated with a temple), the Kumano shrines completely merged, with the three mountain gods becoming the three manifestations I mentioned above. And in this capacity the Kumano shrine network spread throughout Japan. Pilgrimages were extremely popular in this area. Another interesting feature is that this area is one of the main location of the "mountain monks" which Miyuki is aiming to become. Back after the first episode I wrote a note to a friend that I thought RDG wasn't following proper Japanese religion mixing a shrine maiden and a mountain monk, however I said that if the goddess was a mountain god it would make sense. This was what I was thinking of.

This syncretism lasted up until the start of the Meiji era, when the Japanese government decided to "purify" Shinto (this is where the word really gained meaning) and purge Buddhism (shinbutsu bunri). This pogrom was by no means complete, but it was effective. Shrines and temples were completely separated, Shinto gods restored to their proper roles. This did not occur at the Kumano shrines, which still remain the best example of syncretism.

So here is my thought. Similar to the Asuka period, Japan needs to maintain its old traditions, but also transform to new ones (including environmentalism as represented by the Red Data Book). Izumiko represents this dichotomy between the traditional goddess (symbolizing old Japan) and this new goddess representing the world view. Which way Japan will choose is the choice that is being made here. What Izumiko will need to do is to merge these two competing divinities into a new syncretic whole, failure to do this will result in the destruction of the world (Japan becomes completely modern losing its soul, or it clings to the past with no hope for the future). The first goddess is the traditional deity (represented by the Kimono and Izumiko's problems with electronics) who knows that Izumiko will be her final resting place (if successful she will become a new deity), the second goddess is the "worldview" goddess (makeup, a bit cold and hard) who has no interest in the old ways. Hence the difference in personalities. I thought it interesting that when the new goddess met the other god she only recalled him from a couple of hundred years previously (Japan opening up to western influence), not a thousand or more years ago.

There are a few places where my theory is weak, but that is the theory. I really wish I could find meanings in the characters names, but I am not finding anything.

Personally I think this is a bit too complex for an animation. But it does fit pretty well with all the data points in the serious so far. The various factions at school are fighting this battle on a smaller level, not realizing that ultimately it is Izumiko's decision. This would explain why her father really wanted her to go to an open, international school, to arm her to make this decision. It also ties into their trip to Nagano where another of these syncertistic similar to a Tengu resides. Tengu's were mentioned in relation to the Soda siblings.
Takuan_SohoApr 24, 2013 8:49 PM
Apr 25, 2013 5:12 AM

Sep 2012
I am not sure Buddhism is monotheistic. I have seen it called monotheistic, polytheistic and neither, and in fact "neither" seems to be the conclusion I see most often.

There are thousands of Kumano shines out there and each of them is basically some kind of nature worship of the local deity, but Kumano being near the main site of the influential Kouyasan esoteric Shingen buddhism and where the key pilgrimage routes pass, the influence of Buddhism on the Kumano shrines is more prominent, which is why many also double as worship places for some Buddhist deities, particularly for the three mountain gods.

As for the identity of himegami, although she looks really powerful, I am not yet sure she is indeed Amaterasu. I guess I need to see more details about her before I draw my conclusion. At the moment I am also inclined to see it as just one goddess instead of two, but I guess there is just too little information for us to be certain.

Anyway, I love how the story goes but I am also worried about how it will end. Almost halfway in the series we are still sort of in a world setting stage, still discovering new things, new relationships/factions and new characters (and if the OP is any hint we are going to see more still). Some questions are answered but there seem to be even more raised. In many ways we still cannot tell what the story is about and what the positions of the characters are and what they aim for. That said, I am happy to go along with the ride and I think the character design, the sakuga and the overall art presentation is really beautiful (particularly Mayura). And it seems we are even going to see more of fighting between people coming from background of different streams of Japanese occultism. It's just that I have a feeling that the series will end just when we get to know what the characters are there for and what they want to achieve.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 25, 2013 8:59 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
I am not sure Buddhism is monotheistic. I have seen it called monotheistic, polytheistic and neither, and in fact "neither" seems to be the conclusion I see most often.

Buddhism is not "monotheistic" in the Judo-Christian-Islamic sense of having a single personified god that created the universe, however it does have what I would describe as a single purified "god-head", i.e. an ultimate reality that humans are seeking to rejoin. The various entities that people pray to: Kannon, Yakushi, etc. are all emanations of this single godhead. In this way Buddhism is similar to Roman Catholicism concept of the trinity, multiple entities sharing one nature.

It certainly is not polytheistic in the sense of having many separate gods that stand as individual units.

As for the "neither"? I felt that way until I actually saw Buddhism in practice (and not by westerners imposing their hang-ups on it). Outside of perhaps Zen, one would be hard pressed to say that Buddhism doesn't have a strong belief in a divine spark. The idea of the "eternal" Buddha of whom the historic Buddha was merely its first manifestation and of whom there have been and will be others, certainly has all the trappings of a "god".

symbv said:
There are thousands of Kumano shines out there and each of them is basically some kind of nature worship of the local deity,
True, there are 3,000 of them throughout Japan, however all of them are sub shrines to the main shrine in Kumano. This is merely one of several shrine networks in Japan, including the Ise network, the Inari network, and several others. The Japanese love of hierarchies in effect here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumano_Sanzan

symbv said:
but Kumano being near the main site of the influential Kouyasan esoteric Shingen buddhism

Shingon, not Shingen. I have actually visited Kouyasan twice. Kobo Daishi (Kuukai) is an interesting historical character. He was one of the first buddhist monks to outline syncreticism. But Koyasan was a 8th century creation, Kumano was important at least 200 years before this.

symbv said:
and where the key pilgrimage routes pass, the influence of Buddhism on the Kumano shrines is more prominent, which is why many also double as worship places for some Buddhist deities, particularly for the three mountain gods.

Yes and no. The Pilgrimage route first became important not because of Buddhism, but because of the promotion of Ise and the Sun Goddess as the originator of the Imperial Family. When the Imperial Family was based in Yamato and Nara, the Saio (daughter of the Emperor who served as the chief priestess of the Ise shrine) passed this way. That dates to the mid 7th century, Koyasan dates to the mid 9th, and the fusion occurred in the 11th centuries.

symbv said:
As for the identity of himegami, although she looks really powerful, I am not yet sure she is indeed Amaterasu. I guess I need to see more details about her before I draw my conclusion. At the moment I am also inclined to see it as just one goddess instead of two, but I guess there is just too little information for us to be certain.

Definitely would agree here!

symbv said:
Anyway, I love how the story goes but I am also worried about how it will end. Almost halfway in the series we are still sort of in a world setting stage, still discovering new things, new relationships/factions and new characters (and if the OP is any hint we are going to see more still). Some questions are answered but there seem to be even more raised. In many ways we still cannot tell what the story is about and what the positions of the characters are and what they aim for. That said, I am happy to go along with the ride and I think the character design, the sakuga and the overall art presentation is really beautiful (particularly Mayura). And it seems we are even going to see more of fighting between people coming from background of different streams of Japanese occultism. It's just that I have a feeling that the series will end just when we get to know what the characters are there for and what they want to achieve.

And here as well. I am very curious how it is going to turn out.
Apr 25, 2013 9:59 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
symbv said:
At this point I'm just assuming that there is a "planned" second season.
Apr 25, 2013 10:08 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
Cratex said:
This same spirit also told the guy who was the self professed judge that "Izumiko will be the one to choose." It was almost like two different personalities. And then, what would Izumiko be 'choosing'?

You noticed that too, I thought I was just reading too much into it.
I was a little hesitant to say anything until you brought it up because this show's dialog is way over my skill level with Japanese but I know enough to not always trust subtitles.

Anyway, interesting stuff. Let's see where this goes.
Apr 25, 2013 11:08 AM

Oct 2012
I really don't get this anime and their petty school disputes.. it's just ridiculous and it have nothing to do with main character's fate. Those explanations were dull and boring to watch.

There are too many characters coming and mentioned and nothing is transparent anymore - one can get lost very quickly. I am thinking of dropping this, nothing interesting comes with this show except confusion.
Apr 25, 2013 8:16 PM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Buddhism is not "monotheistic" in the Judo-Christian-Islamic sense of having a single personified god that created the universe, however it does have what I would describe as a single purified "god-head", i.e. an ultimate reality that humans are seeking to rejoin. The various entities that people pray to: Kannon, Yakushi, etc. are all emanations of this single godhead. In this way Buddhism is similar to Roman Catholicism concept of the trinity, multiple entities sharing one nature.
I have spoken to quite a few people who follow Buddhism in Japan, China, Taiwan, Thailand and Singapore. What I see is for lay followers the overwhelming belief is that there are many "gods" (or deities) even though they believe there is a single truth and reality (and the reality we see is just manifestations, with distortions, of that reality). Only when I talked to some monks (of certain schools) or scholars did I see stress placed on one "single godhead". And the interesting thing is Buddhism indeed tolerates all these different belief systems without as much of schism or heresy suppression as in the Judo-Christain-Islamic (or Abrahmic) religions. This is why the view of Buddhism being "neither" mono or polytheistic somehow makes sense.

Takuan_Soho said:
It certainly is not polytheistic in the sense of having many separate gods that stand as individual units.
I would say almost all my Buddhist friends and their family lean towards polytheistic view and they do believe that the gods are separate individuals, so it is not really that clear-cut.

Takuan_Soho said:

Shingon, not Shingen. I have actually visited Kouyasan twice. Kobo Daishi (Kuukai) is an interesting historical character. He was one of the first buddhist monks to outline syncreticism. But Koyasan was a 8th century creation, Kumano was important at least 200 years before this.
Yeah, Shingon真言, the words of truth. Last time I went to Kouyasan I actually hiked 17km from Kami-Kosawa to go there and then went on to hike the 3 inner shrines in Kouya Sanzan which is another 9km. A wonderful and enlightening experience I must say. I met a lot of pilgrims in the hike towards Kouyasan itself and it was great talking to those people, and the hike in the inner mountains, where almost the whole time I was by myself, was so tranquil that I just felt being assimilated into the vast nature of the surroundings.
http://eng.shukubo.net/guidance.html

symbv said:
Yes and no. The Pilgrimage route first became important not because of Buddhism, but because of the promotion of Ise and the Sun Goddess as the originator of the Imperial Family. When the Imperial Family was based in Yamato and Nara, the Saio (daughter of the Emperor who served as the chief priestess of the Ise shrine) passed this way. That dates to the mid 7th century, Koyasan dates to the mid 9th, and the fusion occurred in the 11th centuries.
Yeah the pilgrimage route was there already before the Buddhism took hold of Koyasan, sure. My point is just that the presence of Koyasan at the end of the pilgrimage routes that passed through Ise and Kumano may have had something to do with the prominence of the Buddhist theme in the shrines around those regions.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 25, 2013 9:20 PM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
I have spoken to quite a few people who follow Buddhism in Japan, China, Taiwan, Thailand and Singapore. What I see is for lay followers the overwhelming belief is that there are many "gods" (or deities) even though they believe there is a single truth and reality (and the reality we see is just manifestations, with distortions, of that reality). Only when I talked to some monks (of certain schools) or scholars did I see stress placed on one "single godhead".

True, but by the same criteria if you asked many laypeople in Roman Catholicism, their veneration of saints would make them equally susceptible to being considered polytheistic. Now I will admit that it is difficult to draw lines in any large tradition, but outside of Zen, if you read the Sutras that are followed, then there is only one Buddha-hood with many manifestations.

symbv said:
And the interesting thing is Buddhism indeed tolerates all these different belief systems without as much of schism or heresy suppression as in the Judo-Christain-Islamic (or Abrahmic) religions. This is why the view of Buddhism being "neither" mono or polytheistic somehow makes sense.

This is another western view of Buddhism I had that didn't survive my actually looking into it. There were plenty of buddhist interpretations that were suppressed in Japan. A well known example is the Nichiren school, but if you look into the Kojiki and Nihon Shoki, they mention other examples of elite Buddhism smashing upstart versions of Buddhism, starting from the early 8th century all the way through the introduction of pure land Buddhism. It is hard to read the "Tale of the Heike" without noticing that both Hiei and Kouyasan had standing armies of Buddhist "monks" that would descend on the capital. Some of the fiercest opponents Nobunaga and Hideyoshi fought were Buddhist, including the Ikko-Ikki movement and again Kouyasan.

Either way, to return to RDG, I don't think they are going to go the Buddhist route (though I am curious why then they selected the Kumano shrines) because it would be too complicated even for the average Japanese to follow. At the same time, even though they made some hints regarding Amaterasu this episode (the shrine in Nagano houses the rock that was supposed to cover the cave that Amaterasu hid in), I have a feeling they are going to go with some composite deity unique to this show rather than an actual Shinto deity. I hope not, but I have that feeling.

I think next episode will allow us to speculate on firmer ground. Their purpose in Nagano should be revealed. Who the power backing the Souda family is will be illuminating, and I think we will have another descent from the goddess.

I think it is pretty cool you did that trail. I have done some walking trails in Japan, but not that one. Both the Kumano and the Shikoku Temple circuit are on my list to do should I live long enough to follow through on my plans to retire to Japan.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

199 by KempachiZaraki »»
Aug 2, 2023 11:52 AM

» This anime was horrible

Olwen - Jun 16, 2013

33 by Warchiii »»
Jul 19, 2023 5:59 AM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2013

133 by Hanemiyakazutora »»
Dec 12, 2021 8:20 PM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2013

89 by Stardew »»
Jul 3, 2021 11:56 PM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2013

209 by Stardew »»
Jul 1, 2021 8:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.