Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 19, 2013 1:38 PM

Sep 2012
9988 said:
then you have the good time slot fit for ratings: 10 pm friday @ animax. So for me at the least its more evident that its going for ratings, primarily at least, disc sales second.
The thing is 10pm is still considered a late night timeslot though it should be easier to get audience than, say, a 2am show. That said, Aku no Hana is not the only anime airing between 10pm and 11pm. We also have Hataraku Maousama, Majestic Prince and (gasp) Samurai Bride (two being aired on Thursday and the last being aired on Friday). I guess that means they are also going for ratings then?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 19, 2013 1:56 PM

May 2012
symbv said:
That said, Aku no Hana is not the only anime airing between 10pm and 11pm. We also have Hataraku Maousama, Majestic Prince and (gasp) Samurai Bride (two being aired on Thursday and the last being aired on Friday). I guess that means they are also going for ratings then?

Yes. So? 10 pm is not considered late night at all, in case of Aku no Hana it shows us that it does not need to rely 100% on disc sales, for the series yo cite, can you say they have 0 interest in ratings and rely 100% of disc sales then?

Lets play your usual game, show me irrefutable proof that Aku no Hana does not want ratings and its relying 100% on disc sales, and likewise show me irrefutable proof that Samurai Girls, Hataraku and Majestic Princes dont want some ratigins either, then I will shut up, otherwise your -also- conjectures cannot debunk mine either.

Just like you guess that Hataraku, Majestic and Samurai G. could not go for ratings due to its nature (this kind of anime goes for disc sales) I also guess that the creators (of AnH)are not idiots to anticipate the negativity and hate of the hardcore fanbase (disc byers) and would still rely 100% on disc sales.

It always amuses me that your conjectures, guesses and logic is always right and can debunk any other arguments but never the other way around.

I cannot prove Aku no Hana goes for ratings first and disc sales second,hence I say "for me its evident", but so cant you irrefutably affirm the contrary.

symbv said:
The thing is 10pm is still considered a late night timeslot though it should be easier to get audience than, say, a 2am show.

Yes thank you. This translates that even with the 1000 or 2000 disc sales some of you mention, with the ratings primarily or in second level of importance, they can even and or help each other profits wise.

So no, as we dont have rating leaks (save for top 10) the disc sales data alone will never be enough to irrefutable say Aku No Hana was a failure commercially wise in case it sells mere 1000/2000 discs.

So again, those hating and finding comfort with the probably low disc sales should think twice before labeling this or anticipating it as "failure".

9988Apr 19, 2013 2:55 PM
Apr 19, 2013 2:21 PM

Oct 2012
THERE COULD BE LEGAL PROBLEMS WITH YOU VIEWING
EPISODE 3 OF AKU NO HANA DEPENDING ON THE LAWS
IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY. CHECK TO BE SURE.

The scene in the library from 09:50 to 10:35 is an unprecedented technical and artistic
accomplishment in animation, and I am not restricting my statement here to Japanese
anime alone. Here, we finally see the director make full use of the capabilities of the
animation method. I am pretty sure that they were using 24 frames per second.* That
is the same as classic Disney animation in the 1940s. Note that Japanese anime is
normally just 12 frames per second. Also, it is well known that the majority of the
rotoscoping in Aku no Hana was done at 8 frames per second. Watching this calls us
back to the classic 1937 rotoscoping of Snow White playing with the birds.

In the short scene, fine details are lovingly yet accurately captured such as the plastic
buttons bouncing in a physically realistic manner off the floor. From my point of view,
this single 45 seconds will give Aku no Hana a place in animation history as a notable
example. By the way, 45 seconds at 24 frames per second is 1080 frames. Normally,
an entire 30-minute episode requires 5000 frames. So the director made an artistic
decision to spend a very large fraction of the episode budget on only 3% of the time.
In any other circumstances, anybody would question the wisdom of doing that. In
this case, he nailed it.

What did you see in those 45 seconds? It was not what you thought you saw. Again,
we finally see the genius of the director revealed. It took two and a half episodes to
get to this point, with many viewers being lost along the way. As a result, all of these
people are going to want to see this scene in the highest quality format that is
available. So there is going to be some commercial demand for volume 1 of the
BD/DVD. In addition, I forsee this scene as something that is going to be played and
replayed for years in university classes on the history of animation.

Repeatedly, this show screams at the viewer to be repulsed by its darkness, cynicism,
pessimism, abusiveness and ugliness. Yet a close examination reveals that this is not
carelessness, laziness, lack of money or lack of competence. Rather, each frame must
be examined one-by-one to reveal the depth of thought and creativity in this once-
in-a-decade masterpiece.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
References:

http://www.crunchyroll.ca/anime-news/2011/10/30-1/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make
http://altairandvega.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/aku_no_hana_animation/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_animation

* Thank you to the person who checked very carefully and found out
that they were using a maximum of 12 fps, but were also using some
motion blurring to compensate for the limited frame rate.
okanaganApr 20, 2013 2:52 AM
Apr 19, 2013 2:32 PM

Jan 2011
lol I wondered how they would animate that scene, funny as hell.
Apr 19, 2013 6:05 PM

Aug 2012

Man. This episode was both disappointing and hilarious. The gym clothing scene was unbearably awkward.
Apr 19, 2013 6:11 PM

Dec 2011
Vannayuki said:
The gym clothing scene was unbearably awkward.
Mission accomplished.
Apr 19, 2013 7:00 PM

May 2009
9988 said:

Why do you bring TV rating when animax is paid channel. Your whole though process about ratings is completely wrong.
And yes, they have ZERO interest in sales of discs becasue they pulled such shitty animation and style for adaptation.
Apr 19, 2013 7:38 PM
Dec 2012
Interesting development though the animation still felt weird. It felt forced when Nakamura pushed him down to the floor cuz it was unrealistic a guy failed to dodge a girl. And lol@Kasuga in the gym uniform. I wondered if she was going to rape him, but she dressed him in the uniform. Like she said, they are hentai. Haha I chuckled imagining real actors performing the scene.

It's fun to watch him getting pulled over to the dark side more and more.
Apr 19, 2013 9:01 PM

May 2010
I'm really sorry to be the person to say this, but.......... Subs where? T_T Did the subbers drop it because people hated it or something? (Sorry, I've just been looking forward to this episode all week)
Apr 19, 2013 9:03 PM

Sep 2012
9988 said:
Yes. So? 10 pm is not considered late night at all
Any anime that is shown about the "golden hour" that ends in 9pm hour slot is "late night". If 10pm is not late night, is it early night then?

9988 said:
in case of Aku no Hana it shows us that it does not need to rely 100% on disc sales, for the series yo cite, can you say they have 0 interest in ratings and rely 100% of disc sales then?
I never said Aku no Hana wants to rely on disc sales, but I do not see how you could then draw the conclusion that its primary goal is only for the ratings. As basketk66 said above, bringing TV rating in a paid cable channel like Animax is just odd.

9988 said:
Lets play your usual game, show me irrefutable proof that Aku no Hana does not want ratings and its relying 100% on disc sales, and likewise show me irrefutable proof that Samurai Girls, Hataraku and Majestic Princes dont want some ratigins either, then I will shut up, otherwise your -also- conjectures cannot debunk mine either.
Well, if you argue that just because an anime is shown in 10pm time slots, then all the anime that is aired in the same time slots should follow your logic and then go only for TV ratings then, right? What make you so certain? If anything, shows like Majestic Prince is aired on network TV and so I presume it makes it even more likely to be one of your "don't care about disc sales, care about TV rating" anime then?

9988 said:
It always amuses me that your conjectures, guesses and logic is always right and can debunk any other arguments but never the other way around.
I cannot prove Aku no Hana goes for ratings first and disc sales second,hence I say "for me its evident", but so cant you irrefutably affirm the contrary.
It is more about how you just jump to conclusion on things that is based on your faith and belief systems instead of actual facts. "For you it is evident", perhaps, but please don't throw it around like it is some true facts because what is evident to you can be just delusion resulted from your deep bias.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 19, 2013 9:14 PM

Jan 2011
5layer said:
This show isn't gonna get very far with the pace it's going at. Just how much manga did they plan to cover like this...

My bet is they'll cover until chapter 15, with this pace.
Apr 19, 2013 9:20 PM

Feb 2013
I develop an interest in Baudelaire.
I need more literary enthusiasts in anime.
Apr 19, 2013 9:27 PM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
It is more about how you just jump to conclusion on things that is based on your faith and belief systems instead of actual facts. "For you it is evident", perhaps, but please don't throw it around like it is some true facts because what is evident to you can be just delusion resulted from your deep bias.

You like to obtain total victory, and I personally respect you for that, but in this case there is no real reason to go down that particular rabbit hole.

9988's trying to make a distinction between ratings and disc sales is irrelevant. All ratings would do (particular on a niche tv channel) is to lower the amount of Blue Rays a show needs to sell in order to be successful. If the 1-2,000 disc prediction you forecast is true (and given your success at such predictions I have no reason to doubt you), then even IF Aku no Hana scored with ratings it would still be considered a failure.

Of course you point that ratings on an anime focused channel is irrelevant is true (even if there is high ratings it still would have to translate to disc sales for the producers to make money), but that is a bit difficult to prove. You don't have to fight at that level. Your larger point is equally true.
Apr 19, 2013 9:48 PM

Sep 2012
It is not total victory that I crave, but finding ground that reasonable consensus can be reached while rejecting far-fetched and prejudiced views. I think our discussions on the reviews and positioning in ANN reflect that I debate with as much interest to reach consensus as well.

I have already argued why TV ratings is not likely to be the primary goal, at the very beginning, when I said it is useful only to attract rich sponsors if the goal is not to sell more discs but I do not see any particularly special sponsors for this show. As I said earlier, the main target is to raise awareness (which I already said can be considered successful) and then to sell the manga (which we have no data to reach any conclusion yet).

As for TV ratings on cable channel, it is a side point anyway, but it is also something worth pointing out.

Apr 19, 2013 10:45 PM

Oct 2012
ahmed_great2005 wrote:
Seriously,I can draw character designs better than tht...

By far, the major complaint that people have about Aku no Hana is
"bad character design". This is the result from the thread with the
poll called "How can Aku no Hana be improved? (suggest a change)"
Apr 19, 2013 11:05 PM
Jan 2010

And that has been my report on the rampancy of raging hormones on mentally unstable school girls.
Ponytails N. Sideburns reporting live from [redacted].
Apr 19, 2013 11:18 PM
Mar 2011
Orix said:

And that has been my report on the rampancy of raging hormones on mentally unstable school girls.
Ponytails N. Sideburns reporting live from [redacted].

haha i dont think she or he is going to go away. i mean she or he is part of the class, no?

i do wonder how many episodes until someone finally realize "i've been saying the art in this anime sucks in every episode thread"

greatest example of hope i guess. its far more ridiculous to keep hoping the art is going to get better on the next episode.
"....i am the villain in this story"
Apr 19, 2013 11:20 PM
Mar 2011
ZtarWarrior said:
That scene in the library.....
....well alright...the worst is yet to come....
Nakamura will be in my nightmares for sure.

just wait.... if they stick to the manga,
Apr 19, 2013 11:20 PM
Jan 2010
i do wonder how many episodes until someone finally realize "i've been saying the art in this anime sucks in every episode thread"

I've been sharing the same sentiments, actually. But instead of raging about it, I've decided to make fun of it. At least I'm not destroying my good mood over character designs that I clearly don't like. :>
Apr 19, 2013 11:21 PM
Apr 2013
omg where are the subtitles!?
been waiting all day, this is the best anime of the season, i love the animation
the MOE-ish style of the manga doesn't quite fit what the author wants to express, and i swear to good, i just watched the 2 first episodes last night and i was like seriously freaked out.
Apr 19, 2013 11:24 PM

Oct 2012
In this episode we saw at least one excellent character design !

Check out the lady, about age 40, on the street, and she had this fantastic
looking Mexican-style moustache ! The camera spent a minimum of 15
seconds clearly showing her, so you can get a very good look.

Some ladies have moustaches. I am NOT criticizing by any means !

Kassandra22 wrote:
this is the best anime of the season

I would correct this to, "This is the best anime of the season of this genre."
okanaganApr 19, 2013 11:30 PM
Apr 19, 2013 11:27 PM
Mar 2011
Orix said:

I've been sharing the same sentiments, actually. But instead of raging about it, I've decided to make fun of it. At least I'm not destroying my good mood over character designs that I clearly don't like. :>

thats the spirit! ive been saying all along, the art is hard to accept for majority of the watchers and i doubt the art is going to change. if youre really interested, find some way to enjoy it.

i defend the adaptation but i find the ridiculous things ridiculous. for example, just like the picture you showed, my reaction was to instinctively laugh. but i do wonder when it will become just repetitive and dull instead of being funny
Apr 19, 2013 11:28 PM
Mar 2011
okanagan said:
In this episode we saw at least one excellent character design !

Check out the lady, about age 40, on the street, and she had this fantastic
looking Mexican-style moustache ! The camera spent a minimum of 15
seconds clearly showing her, so you can get a very good look.

Some ladies have moustaches. I am NOT criticizing by any means !

haha i noticed that too. i thought id pause it and find out if its her nose or something. but i just let it go lol. totally irrelevant
Apr 19, 2013 11:30 PM

Sep 2012
kassandra22 said:
the MOE-ish style of the manga doesn't quite fit what the author wants to express
But the author drew it in that style, right? It is hard to imagine that the author drew it in that style while thinking that it does not fit what he wants to express.

Apr 19, 2013 11:32 PM
Mar 2011
symbv said:
kassandra22 said:
the MOE-ish style of the manga doesn't quite fit what the author wants to express
But the author drew it in that style, right? It is hard to imagine that the author drew it in that style while thinking that it does not fit what he wants to express.

honestly, the manga didnt have "fantastic" drawings either. If you look at the author's other work, his drawings all look the same. his art is pretty generic, for a lack of a better word.

we cant really know for sure, hard to imagine or not, what he wants to express. i mean even when he "admits" his intentions in interviews alot of people still questions it
Apr 19, 2013 11:34 PM

May 2010
kasuga prett much got raped by a girl this ep.

it has been a downward spiral since ep1 and i dont feel like this is going to end well.

still loving and enjoying art and animation style. anime is sure different but entertaining.

5/5
Apr 19, 2013 11:38 PM

Oct 2012
kasuga prett much got raped by a girl this ep.

I expect in the next episode he is going to go to the police and press charges
against Nakamura for "sexual assault". From what I saw, she did not
actually rape him. But it was a serious crime nevertheless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_assault

I am very, very curious what kind of reaction he would get from the police if
he actually tried to do that.
okanaganApr 19, 2013 11:44 PM
Apr 19, 2013 11:46 PM

Jan 2009
Nakamura is crazy lol and damn this two are comedy material

Apr 19, 2013 11:48 PM
Mar 2012
Pretty good episode overall. Even though the last scene lacked suspense.

Why the fudge is Kasuga holding a Pink Floyd book in those last few moments? He gave up on Baudelaire and opened up to Gilmour?
Apr 19, 2013 11:50 PM

Oct 2012
Why the fudge is Kasuga holding a Pink Floyd book in those last few
moments? He gave up on Baudelaire and opened up to Gilmour?

You are talking about the book with the prism picture.
That book is titled "Science Fiction Novels in Other Countries".

Sorry, not Pink Floyd !

Just noticed: Subbed version
has just been posted !
okanaganApr 19, 2013 11:55 PM
Apr 20, 2013 12:00 AM

May 2008
Stark700 said:

Oh wow, that scene at the bookstore was just...

THE BEST.
Apr 20, 2013 12:00 AM
Mar 2011
okanagan said:

Just noticed: Subbed version
has just been posted !

let the games begin!
Apr 20, 2013 12:10 AM

Jan 2013
5/5
Apr 20, 2013 12:13 AM
Mar 2013

Regarding the frame rates, after reviewing the scene, it still looks to be 12 fps (24 fps with frame doubling). They do attempt to compensate for the lack of fps with motion blur though, but it's not enough to get rid of the jittery appearance. There are some parts of the sequence where the background and foreground motion alternates per frame, so there's always a change of motion per frame, but they're still moving at 12 fps each.
Apr 20, 2013 12:16 AM

Jan 2009
yoshiyukiblade said:

Regarding the frame rates, after reviewing the scene, it still looks to be 12 fps (24 fps with frame doubling). They do attempt to compensate for the lack of fps with motion blur though, but it's not enough to get rid of the jittery appearance. There are some parts of the sequence where the background and foreground motion alternates per frame, so there's always a change of motion per frame, but they're still moving at 12 fps each.

dude anime is LIMITED ANIMATION that is the reason it lacks a lot of frame, if you want real 24 frames of animation then watch american cartoons that are considered FULL ANIMATION
Apr 20, 2013 12:19 AM

Oct 2012
dude anime is LIMITED ANIMATION that is the reason it lacks a lot
of frame, if you want real 24 frames of animation then watch american
cartoons that are considered FULL ANIMATION

I 100% understand what you are saying.

The action was really, really fast but still extremely smooth and lifelike.

Thank you yoshiyukiblade for checking carefully about that.
okanaganApr 20, 2013 12:25 AM
Apr 20, 2013 12:24 AM
Mar 2013
j0x said:

dude anime is LIMITED ANIMATION that is the reason it lacks a lot of frame, if you want real 24 frames of animation then watch american cartoons that are considered FULL ANIMATION

I personally don't care what fps it's rendered at as long as it isn't distracting. Conventional anime techniques have done well to compensate for their limited rates but this show hasn't and it's kinda distracting (getting used to it though).

I was responding to the poster who believed that this specific scene was running at 24 fps when it technically wasn't. Again, it could be the motion blur effect that compensated for the low fps, but it's still not that smooth. You can also catch the use of blur in other scenes from time to time.
Apr 20, 2013 12:29 AM

Oct 2012
I was responding to the poster who believed that this specific scene
was running at 24 fps when it technically wasn't.

Yeah, that was me. Thank you for checking that carefully !
Apr 20, 2013 12:29 AM

Jan 2009
okanagan said:

I 100% understand what you are saying.

The action was really, really fast but still extremely smooth and lifelike.

those rare scenes in anime has a term its called SAKUGA animation, you can read about it more here - http://nebs66.livejournal.com/1154784.html
Apr 20, 2013 12:30 AM
Mar 2011
there are parts where the animation seems to flow with perfect fluidity and then there are scenes where it seems like it doesnt even move when its supposed to.

it makes me wonder if this whole series was rushed in production or is really limited in budget. they might improve on these FPS thing on the blu-ray and dvds?

that said, im really loving this.
Apr 20, 2013 12:35 AM

Oct 2012
those rare scenes in anime has a term its called SAKUGA
animation, you can read about it more here -
http://nebs66.livejournal.com/1154784.html

Thank you !
Apr 20, 2013 12:37 AM

Jan 2009
amginex said:
there are parts where the animation seems to flow with perfect fluidity and then there are scenes where it seems like it doesnt even move when its supposed to.

dude that is normal on any anime TV series since its LIMITED ANIMATION they do that to lower the cost of production, the fluid scenes of an anime episode has a term called SAKUGA animation sometimes their is a episode full of SAKUGA animation for example when big fights in Naruto Shippuuden is made like Killer Bee vs the Team of Sasuke or that awesomely animated episode (its episode 85 if i remember right) where Kakashi, Ino, Choji fight against Hidan and Kakuzu
Apr 20, 2013 12:38 AM
Mar 2013
okanagan said:

Yeah, that was me. Thank you for checking that carefully !

The scene was very detailed though and it does demonstrate the merits of rotoscoping when creating realistically intense moments like that. :D
Apr 20, 2013 12:41 AM

Oct 2012
In order to understand "frames per second" and "blur", here is a very
good online app that you can play with to demonstrate the idea:

http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

Yes, "blur" can make motion look smooth even when frame rate is not so high.
Apr 20, 2013 12:42 AM
Mar 2011
j0x said:
amginex said:

dude that is normal on any anime TV series since its LIMITED ANIMATION they do that to lower the cost of production, the fluid scenes of an anime episode has a term called SAKUGA animation sometimes their is a episode full of SAKUGA animation for example when big fights in Naruto Shippuuden is made like Killer Bee vs the Team of Sasuke or that awesomely animated episode (its episode 85 if i remember right) where Kakashi, Ino, Choji fight against Hidan and Kakuzu

ah, i never noticed it before. i guess ive never been so engrossed with the actual animation productions of the series i watched until Aku no hana and probably because of all the debate that continues to go on in this threads.
im more story-based first, visuals second and sad to say, never cared very much about OSTs either

also, no offense but ive never ever attempted to watch Naruto
Apr 20, 2013 12:42 AM

Jan 2010
Animations getting better

Zandatsu (斬奪 - "cut and take")
Apr 20, 2013 12:46 AM

Oct 2012
im more story-based first,

Exactly !

In this case, the story was that she was taking off his clothes and dressing
him up in Saeki's gym outfit.

They did an excellent job of telling the story. That is all that counts.
Apr 20, 2013 12:47 AM

Aug 2011
I'm pretty sure I watch this show just to feel bad for Kasuga. Poor guy...
Apr 20, 2013 1:01 AM

Feb 2012
terrible just terrible i woulda slapped the hoe
Apr 20, 2013 1:07 AM

Feb 2012
itsvero said:
itsvero said:

he so stupid its hard not to hate him
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.