Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 17, 2013 6:46 PM
Oct 2012
Anybody have any good points on how Akira was an influence in culture in both Japan and worldwide?
Apr 17, 2013 6:47 PM

Dec 2012
Don't know about Akira, but Ghost in the Shell inspired like the matrix and the entire cyberpunk nation. And i think stuff like GitS and Cowboy Bebop had a bigger effect on society than Akira. i might be wrong though,
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Apr 17, 2013 6:49 PM
Apr 2013
Never heard of it...
Apr 17, 2013 6:53 PM

Jul 2011
Fiddy said:
Never heard of it...

Really?
Apr 17, 2013 6:57 PM

May 2012
pralan said:
Fiddy said:
Never heard of it...

Really?

Sadly, neither have I. Looked it up and looks badass.
Apr 17, 2013 6:58 PM

Dec 2012
I can't fathom an anime fan not knowing about Akira....
Apr 17, 2013 7:01 PM
Apr 2013
pralan said:
Fiddy said:
Never heard of it...

Really?

Yep.

Looked it up, and apparently, it's some old movie. I probably have heard the name before, but I tend to avoid anime films (that aren't based on a TV series I've seen), so it's not surprising that I don't really know anything about it.
Jovoo said:

In 2013? Okay...
Apr 17, 2013 7:03 PM

Sep 2009
I believe Akira was the first big anime production to get a large amount of attention from the west. I have no idea about influence in Japan, but it definitely helped anime become more popular in other places.
Apr 17, 2013 7:04 PM

Jan 2008
And why did it not come to mind to google this question that already has so many answers instead of asking MAL/us who will just give stupid responses like some of the above?
Apr 17, 2013 7:05 PM

Feb 2012
"Most anime is notorious for cutting production corners with limited animation, such as having only the characters' mouths move while their faces remained static. Akira broke from this trend with detailed scenes, pre-scored dialogue (wherein the dialogue is recorded before the film starts production and the movements of the characters' lips are animated to match it)[3] – a first for an anime production – and super-fluid motion as realized in the film's more than 160,000 animation cels." (from Wikipedia).

I also understand that it had a great reception in the west and helped to establish wetsern "otaku" culture.
Apr 17, 2013 7:06 PM

Dec 2012
Fiddy said:

Jovoo said:

In 2013? Okay...

It's like not knowing the Titanic or Matrix, at least I see it as such.
Apr 17, 2013 7:13 PM
Apr 2013
Jovoo said:
Fiddy said:

Jovoo said:

In 2013? Okay...

I seriously doubt that this "Akira" film is that popular, seeing as one of the films you listed made over two billion dollars.
Apr 17, 2013 7:16 PM

Dec 2012
Fiddy said:
Jovoo said:
Fiddy said:

Jovoo said:

In 2013? Okay...

I seriously doubt that this "Akira" film is that popular, seeing as one of the films you listed made over two billion dollars.

In terms of effecting society you might argue that it was more popular. You have no idea how much those films influenced future films and novels.

EDIT: Talking about stuff like Akira, GitS, Cowboy Bebop etc.
Apr 17, 2013 7:18 PM

Oct 2012
Might want to join this club OP, they're pretty much all respectable members that will happily explain how certain anime is influential.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 17, 2013 7:19 PM
Oct 2012
thanks everyone
Apr 17, 2013 7:30 PM
Apr 2013
Jovoo said:

In terms of effecting society you might argue that it was more popular.

Nonsense. Popularity doesn't work that way. You can't argue that this film is more popular than The Matrix or Titanic because it isn't. Period.
Jovoo said:

You have no idea how much those films influenced future films and novels.

If you think I have no idea, then enlighten me. I specifically stated that I don't know much about the film, so what is your argument, exactly? All you did was state the obvious.
Apr 17, 2013 7:34 PM

Dec 2012
Fiddy said:
Jovoo said:

In terms of effecting society you might argue that it was more popular.

Nonsense. Popularity doesn't work that way. You can't argue that this film is more popular than The Matrix or Titanic because it isn't. Period.
Jovoo said:

You have no idea how much those films influenced future films and novels.

If you think I have no idea, then enlighten me. I specifically stated that I don't know much about the film, so what is your argument, exactly? All you did was state the obvious.

I never said it was more popular, and it's stupid to assume that I did. I said more influential. Because those movies/series have inspired writers to write scripts and novels that would in return influence other writers to write other stuff that was influenced by the people that were influenced by those anime, and this goes on and on.

The Wachowski brothers have stated that one of their biggest influences was Ghost in the Shell. Not to mention stuff like Deus Ex that was also inspired by GitS. These are just a couple of examples.

It's one thing to sell a billion in the box office, it's another to influence society.
JovooApr 17, 2013 7:39 PM
Apr 17, 2013 7:35 PM

Jun 2012
Jovoo said:
Same

@Fiddy How about you go and watch the movie and add one of the must-watch anime to your list of 2 completed anime? It's a good step into the anime world.
HolybaptiserApr 17, 2013 7:38 PM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Apr 17, 2013 7:40 PM

Feb 2012
Holybaptiser said:
Jovoo said:
Same
Well he's only seen two anime according to his list so it's not that unbelievable (though I guess the word fan wouldn't fit either then so you're statement may still be reasonable). I have watched anime my entire life, but I didn't know about Akira until a little over a year ago (maybe two).

Also here's a link relivant to the topic: http://www.gojapango.com/culture/anime_history_golden_age.html
Apr 17, 2013 7:43 PM

Jun 2012
This thread has actually inspired me to watch the movie, to be honest. I've read the manga and haven't really given a shit about the movie, but I'll be watching it soon thanks to this thread and even having said, "go watch one of the must-watch anime." Can't be a hypocrite now, can we?

Apr 17, 2013 7:47 PM

Oct 2012
Tavor said:
Might want to join this club OP, they're pretty much all respectable members that will happily explain how certain anime is influential.
I took a look at this Uber-Elitist club, and the related anime: Bleach, Angel Beats, Clannad, Guilty Crown, K, Infinite Stratos, Soul Eater, Sword Art Online, Zero no Tsukaima?! Fuck off LOL. Wolf in sheep's clothing.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 17, 2013 7:47 PM

Feb 2012
Holybaptiser said:
This thread has actually inspired me to watch the movie, to be honest. I've read the manga and haven't really given a shit about the movie, but I'll be watching it soon thanks to this thread and even having said, "go watch one of the must-watch anime." Can't be a hypocrite now, can we?
Don't hype it up too much, you may not like it as many don't.
Apr 17, 2013 7:48 PM

Oct 2012
katsucats said:
Tavor said:
I took a look at this Uber-Elitist club, and the related anime: Bleach, Angel Beats, Clannad, Guilty Crown, K, Infinite Stratos, Soul Eater, Sword Art Online, Zero no Tsukaima?! Fuck off LOL. Wolf in sheep's clothing.

That relation list is their list of over-hyped/shit anime. They have a thread for the goodies: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=548745

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 17, 2013 7:48 PM

Jun 2012
Slyr3do0n said:
Holybaptiser said:
Don't hype it up too much, you may not like it as many don't.
Meh, I really do like the manga, though, so I don't know... I'm not trying to hype it up.

Apr 17, 2013 7:50 PM

Feb 2012
katsucats said:
Tavor said:
Apr 17, 2013 7:53 PM

Jan 2013
EpicKayful said:
pralan said:
Fiddy said:
Never heard of it...

Really?

Sadly, neither have I. Looked it up and looks badass.
Same here looks pretty cool.
Apr 17, 2013 8:10 PM
Apr 2013
Jovoo said:

I never said it was more popular, and it's stupid to assume that I did.

It's stupid of you to fail to elaborate in your previous post. You also brought up an argument (influence) that had nothing at all to do with my posts, when all I shot down was the popularity of the film in comparison to Titanic and The Matrix.
Slyr3do0n said:
Holybaptiser said:
Jovoo said:
Same
Well he's only seen two anime according to his list so it's not that unbelievable

I just signed up like three hours ago. I haven't bothered to add everything I've seen yet.
FiddyApr 17, 2013 8:19 PM
Apr 17, 2013 8:22 PM

Dec 2012
Fiddy said:
Jovoo said:

I never said it was more popular, and it's stupid to assume that I did.

It's stupid of you to fail to elaborate in your previous post. You also brought up an argument (influence) that had nothing at all to do with my posts, when all I shot down was the popularity of the film in comparison to Titanic and The Matrix.

You just went full retard, never go full retard.
Aug 29, 2015 2:54 PM

Dec 2010
Akira's poster inspired Masashi Kishimoto to become a mangaka. You could argue just how important this inspiration was to the culture in Japan and worldwide.
Sep 18, 2020 12:50 PM

Aug 2018
Akira isn’t an influental film like Ghost in the Shell

Akira is a film that changed everything. It made Anime to be viewed as a something else , set standarts that were light years ahead of their time. I think it was the true first anime film aiming adults. Even if u see the film as complete garbage you just CAN’T deny the fact that this is history of animation and a legendary achievement of creation.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akira Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Friendlysoul - Apr 12, 2008

216 by Halestorm3000 »»
24 minutes ago

» Ending interpretation

Fukoku - Apr 13

0 by Fukoku »»
Apr 13, 11:25 AM

» Akira is not cyberpunk, it's just a paranormal genre

TheRedComment - Jan 22

46 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 22, 5:34 AM

» Tropes created in Akira

curvedtree - Dec 22, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:55 AM

» Am i the only one who think that akira is a bad movie? ( 1 2 )

Harley3579 - May 14, 2019

59 by peterross »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.