Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 14, 2013 9:53 AM
Mar 2012
Hi! I read some discutions on internet that Katsura Hoshino might end the manga soon so I would like to know if that is true?
Apr 15, 2013 9:20 AM

Aug 2010
Really?! :O This is the first time I hear this.. But then again, I've been out of touch with this series for quite some time..
Apr 15, 2013 9:24 AM
Oct 2011
Let's hope for it. It dragged enough.
Apr 15, 2013 9:54 AM
Mar 2012
Well the thing is that the author had many hiatus with the manga, some people say that it's due to her illness or copyright and she might plan to put an ending to the story, well rumors can be true or false too, so don't take it serious but I would like to know some details. This is only what I read on internet.

The second thing is that Is it possible the airing of third season? I made some calculations and the aired anime was divided in two seasons. Season one with 51 eps called 1st Stage and season two with 52 eps called 2nd Stage both needed about 8 volumes so the ''3rd Stage'' could come out in a few years IF they want to air it because now there are 7 volumes for it. It's only a IF. I would be happy if it's true ^^

Mod Edit: Please use spoiler tags for large images.
LunaJul 17, 2013 12:15 PM
Apr 15, 2013 9:59 AM

Aug 2009
I know that the manga was in danger of being cancelled a while back, but other than that I don't know. I hope they end it soon though, its dragged on for to long already..
Apr 19, 2013 2:55 PM

Apr 2011
Propater said:
I know that the manga was in danger of being cancelled a while back, but other than that I don't know. I hope they end it soon though, its dragged on for to long already..
The manga was never in danger of being cancelled and as far as I've seen, there aren't any plans for a continuation of the anime until *maybe* after the series is completed. (According to ANN, volume sales have remained strong so I don't see why it wouldn't happen, really.)

Anyway, I don't know why people on so many sites believe these rumours so easily. Please go to an *official* source (or find a quote from an official Japanese source translated by someone reliable like the people at Mangahelpers or something), and confirm any such major news that you hear. When people believe and spread these rumours, it brings out the worst in everyone.

Propater, if you feel DGM has "dragged on" too long despite the complicated situation every character is in, with the main plot in the midst of a huge cliffhanger and multiple subplots (and themes) that require resolution, then maybe you should think about whether this story is really for you. I'm sure you wouldn't want to read some rushed and incomplete ending anymore than anyone else would.
Apr 19, 2013 2:57 PM
Jul 2018
I should catch up the anime and manga.
Apr 21, 2013 12:32 PM

Apr 2013
I don`t think the manga will end soon..cause there are a lot of mysteries which aren`t resolved..
Apr 23, 2013 5:54 AM

Mar 2008
Well I hope it ends soon, the story is a mess ever since it came back after the long break.
Apr 28, 2013 10:21 AM

Mar 2013
whitetear said:
Propater said:
The manga was never in danger of being cancelled and as far as I've seen, there aren't any plans for a continuation of the anime until *maybe* after the series is completed. (According to ANN, volume sales have remained strong so I don't see why it wouldn't happen, really.)

Anyway, I don't know why people on so many sites believe these rumours so easily. Please go to an *official* source (or find a quote from an official Japanese source translated by someone reliable like the people at Mangahelpers or something), and confirm any such major news that you hear. When people believe and spread these rumours, it brings out the worst in everyone.

Propater, if you feel DGM has "dragged on" too long despite the complicated situation every character is in, with the main plot in the midst of a huge cliffhanger and multiple subplots (and themes) that require resolution, then maybe you should think about whether this story is really for you. I'm sure you wouldn't want to read some rushed and incomplete ending anymore than anyone else would.

So true and, not to mention its been going on for a long time now because DGM only get maybe a max of 10 chapter each year now.
Apr 28, 2013 12:37 PM

Apr 2011
I've heard that the mangaka is extremely lazy and carefree about it, but that's just another rumor.
May 1, 2013 3:52 PM
Aug 2012
Too bad :( i had heard miss Hoshino has problems with her hands and about her illness, but i didn't really buy it. I hope she gets better , untll then we have to wait for chapter 219 :)
May 4, 2013 6:43 AM

Sep 2011
People need to learn the difference between cancelled and hiatus. It's on Hiatus because of her illness.
May 4, 2013 8:57 AM

Apr 2011
*Agrees with Tyrel*

Also, people need to learn that while you might decide whether or not to continue the story based on it, you don't judge a whole story based on the gaps between chapters instead of the actual story content.

With all the foreshadowing, symbolism, and character development leading directly to the point we are currently at in the manga (aside from the two comedy arcs I never see anyone complain about for interrupting/"losing sight of" the story even though they *technically* really do do that, if temporarily, lol), it's laughable the way some folk out there complain the story has "dragged on." As I said, I can only guess such people consider the time between chapters to be part of the story as there's really no other explanation for that if someone's paying attention to what's been happening from the start of the series.

If you don't have the patience to wait, then stop waiting already and move on to something that will hold your fickle attention span. Enough with the self-pity-fest already.
May 8, 2013 10:26 PM

Aug 2012
^ Yes. Having just caught up by marathoning the whole thing, the plot progression and character conflicts/development carefully lead up to the conclusion it seems we may be reaching soon by revealing twists, and following them up with small bits of detail before ultimately leading into another development. It doesn't drag at all, it progresses by revealing these details in intervals so as not to spoil a later twist, and to allow the story to be told properly with (most) character's circumstances and motivations being considered.

Point is, like whitetear said, when you take out the hiatuses, there's nothing really wrong with the progression of the actual content, unless you just don't like what Hoshino seems to be going for.
May 15, 2013 10:15 PM

Feb 2011
Maybe the story does not have problems in the continuity or the art but we can't forget most of us read the manga as it is published and the hiatuses do affect how we can perceive the story, there is not always the time to go back and reread the last chapters when a new one is published, THAT is what gets tiresome and that's why so many people are complaining.
Jun 10, 2013 5:47 PM
Oct 2008
Nidstang said:
I've heard that the mangaka is extremely lazy and carefree about it, but that's just another rumor.

You're thinking of Togashi
Jul 13, 2013 9:02 PM
Sep 2010
Honestly I don't believe that the last couple of chapters dragged on at all. It was just the pacing. First we get monthly chapters for DGM and then sometimes bi-monthly and then even tri-monthly. To actually remember what has happened from the previous chapter is a bit of a dust. But if Katsura Honshino starts to speed up the ending than I don'think it will end the way it should. I get the frustration it puts on us D.Gray-Man fans out there that the series is on hiatus. Here's a quote: "Rome wasn't built in a day." It will take time for Katsura Honshino to draw and especially with her health issues. What I think needs to be done concerning the Anime is that they should restart a new series like they did with FullMetal ALchemist Brotherhood. A fan can only dream *____*
Oct 15, 2013 9:58 AM
Mar 2012
Uyy it seems close but they could make a Stage 3 with the material until now. Stage 1 for the anime has about 8 volumes and Stage 2 too, so for the third stage they could use volume 16 'til the latest chapters hihihi but it will be only a dream. Let's hope that she gets better or find someone to draw her ideas for the manga, was one of the best in my opinion (story, art style....).
But like some people say to have to re-read it would be tiresome like experiencing now with 07 Ghost.
If some can't wait... so read another amazing loooong manga!!!.... hmmm... maybe One Piece hihihi ^^
Oct 16, 2013 9:19 PM

Jun 2010
kairi07 said:
If some can't wait... so read another amazing loooong manga!!!.... hmmm... maybe One Piece hihihi ^^

One Piece IS amazing, isn't it?

On topic:

I don't think they'll be producing Stage 3 anytime soon. Stage 1 contained material from volume 1 up to the end of volume 5 and Stage 2 from volume 6 to about the ending of volume 16. Considering Stage 1 had some filler episodes and some episodes based on stories in the Reverse Novels and Stage 2 being all canon, I'd say if they were to make Stage 3, assuming Stage 3 would be 51 or 52 episodes like the first two stages, they would need more material for 50 or so episodes. So, if they were to make Stage 3 with no fillers they would probably need about 11 volumes worth of material which is not available currently. Volumes 17 to 23 is 7 volumes and if these chapters were to be animated into a third stage they'd likely need 15 to 20 episodes of filler, this is of course considering the pacing of the previous seasons.

Personally, I think after the series has more material to work from I'd like to see an anime remake like they've done with Hunter x Hunter. I'd also love to see the Snow Fragment story from the third Reverse Novel animated. Just thinking about several scenes from the manga being animated which have yet to be animated gets me pumped!
hiroshiaozoraOct 16, 2013 9:23 PM
Oct 18, 2013 3:24 AM

Sep 2010
hiroshiaozora said:

On topic:

I don't think they'll be producing Stage 3 anytime soon. Stage 1 contained material from volume 1 up to the end of volume 5 and Stage 2 from volume 6 to about the ending of volume 16. Considering Stage 1 had some filler episodes and some episodes based on stories in the Reverse Novels and Stage 2 being all canon, I'd say if they were to make Stage 3, assuming Stage 3 would be 51 or 52 episodes like the first two stages, they would need more material for 50 or so episodes. So, if they were to make Stage 3 with no fillers they would probably need about 11 volumes worth of material which is not available currently. Volumes 17 to 23 is 7 volumes and if these chapters were to be animated into a third stage they'd likely need 15 to 20 episodes of filler, this is of course considering the pacing of the previous seasons.

Personally, I think after the series has more material to work from I'd like to see an anime remake like they've done with Hunter x Hunter. I'd also love to see the Snow Fragment story from the third Reverse Novel animated. Just thinking about several scenes from the manga being animated which have yet to be animated gets me pumped!

Totally agreed, sir. Hope Hoshino will get better soon and keep drawing the manga. I don't care whether it's a Stage 3 or a remake (I would love to see Madhouse do a remake though) as long as the story ends clearly. I mean, considering the cliffhanger at chapter 218 and it's almost been a year without a chapter or news about DGM, what should we fans do? :/
Nov 5, 2013 11:54 AM

Feb 2011
*tl;drs last few posts*

Idk I still am hoping for a surprise new chapter, but... at the same time I think it's going to take a while. BTW something tells me Hoshino Katsura's illness isn't so serious. I mean she did original character designs for Kakumeiki Valvrave meanwhile...

My assumption for her excuse is that character designs take much less work than manga chapters and she wanted to do something but hasn't had enough energy for another chapter, or some other side trouble like law or publisher or something...

Well let's see what happens in the future.
- This is a bucket.
- Dear god...
- There's more!
- No...
Nov 13, 2013 6:53 AM

Apr 2011
The simplest answer is that her illness probably causes her to work slowly &/or requires a lot of rest. That makes things difficult, but it doesn't mean she has to quit. I'm glad her employer has stood by her and kept her *manageably* busy all this time. Companies have a tendency to overwork people in Japan, but hopefully they're adapting to her pace, since the new volume of DGM is selling as well as ever. :)
Jun 1, 2014 7:44 AM

Apr 2008
I'm not buying her illness excuse one bit at this point. She clearly lost control and interest of her own creation by complying too much to the fanbase's whims.
Jun 2, 2014 8:13 AM

Jul 2013
No one's know yet.
Jun 7, 2014 1:57 PM

Sep 2011
Darklight0303 said:
I'm not buying her illness excuse one bit at this point. She clearly lost control and interest of her own creation by complying too much to the fanbase's whims.
Same thoughts here. Her "Illness" let her somehow design the Valvrave stuff. Makes sense...
Jun 9, 2014 6:13 AM

Apr 2008
I don't know, drawing a design is vastly different than the work it would take to draw a manga, you really can't compare them.

Honestly I do have a theory on what has happened though. After her first hiatus for her illness, when she came back her art changed and the story became much more convoluted. I wondered if she wasn't having someone else draw for her , like a ghost writer would for an author. Her still trying to tell the story while someone else does the work. By doing this she has lost sight on where her own manga is going now and disheartened by it's quality.

What I think should happen now is a book released, could even be a fanbook that just explains everything. So so many questions are left unasked, I then let the story finally be closed.
Jun 24, 2014 12:19 PM

Jul 2013
The only reasonable thing is to assume that it is on hiatus, NOT cancelled, since its status is on going/publishing. Just have in mind that Togashi had Hunter x Hunter on hiatus for 2 years. Hoshino didn't complete 2 years of hiatus yet and I'm not saying that she should. All we can do is wait and support the mangaka.

Also, I would be TRULY hurt if it was actually cancelled, it is one of my personal favorites. Cancelling it just in the middle of the story would be disappointing after all the effort Hoshino put in it, seriously.

“In all things, the heart must take precedence. The heart rules over all things, and all things come from the heart.”

Jun 26, 2014 9:29 PM

Apr 2013
Rather then ending the series... i rather find out if the author wants to just put the manga on "hiatus" status forever... because if they do... at least I can know how to "hope" for any more >.>

Jul 1, 2014 7:14 PM

Oct 2013
If the mangaka can't continue the series because of her hands. She could make someone continue the story for her and just tell them what to do, or make a light novel.
Jul 2, 2014 7:38 PM

Jul 2010
I will wait for it to have a descent ending .
Jul 17, 2014 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
I agree with duderus.

I would love for this manga to finish, and for another anime.

It would be a severe disappointment to leave the story unfinished on a cliffhanger, a true shame ;(

but if the hiatus because of illness really isn't true, and she has no plans to work on it in the future, she really should make a statement so us hardcore d gray man fans can at least know that our dreams are shattered and don't keep hoping for a new chapter that's never coming ;(

I really hope that's not the case though..

Someone in Japan needs to send a letter to the publisher or hoshino sensei and get an answer on if its even possible to continue the manga (because of copyrights or whatever) or if it is most likely to never return
Aug 25, 2014 9:07 AM

Feb 2011
Well I have found some news on this matter and I must say, it's not Hoshino's fault that this manga is still on hiatus, but JumpSQ's. Hoshino is working hard to get her rights back right now. As soon as she gets, she'll restart the manga
- This is a bucket.
- Dear god...
- There's more!
- No...
Aug 25, 2014 9:34 AM

Jun 2014
I think that Hoshino-san cares a lot about her series so I very much doubt she would give up on it. Besides, on every single site it says that D.Gray-man is ongoing. It's merely on hiatus, no official canceling so far (thank god).

Anyway, there are a lot of theories about why it's on hiatus, but one of them is that because she gets sick so often and has to keep putting the manga on hiatus her publisher dropped her. Another is that there was a dispute (I think for translations) about dropping pages important to the story and stuff to save money. She didn't want that so she left her publisher. Either way, the end result of both stories is that her old publisher still owns half the rights to D.Gray-man and she doesn't have the funds to buy them, so she's trying to get the money to do so.
THIS IS ONLY WHAT I'VE HEARD SO DON'T FORM AN ARMY AGAINST ME IF I'M INCORRECT >.<

Anyway, I still have hope for this manga because I love it and I REALLY don't want it to end like this ;-;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» How is d gray man? Should you get into it?

MonadProxyy - Feb 21, 2022

18 by Enbu_Kirikaze »»
Mar 17, 2:49 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 250 Discussion

DarkHumor04 - Jan 22

7 by Roxas232 »»
Mar 16, 12:36 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 249 Discussion

Mei-o_Scarlett - Oct 26, 2023

7 by Enbu_Kirikaze »»
Jan 13, 8:31 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 242 Discussion

Illyricus - Nov 9, 2021

14 by SoulReaper01_ »»
Dec 4, 2023 4:33 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 222 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2016

37 by jeremysama »»
Nov 14, 2023 11:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.