Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 21, 2008 10:45 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A few things.
1. Grell is a perv.
2. This bad guy is pretty cool with the whole making people into dolls thing.
3. Wait. Ciel actually cares about someone?
4. I love the character designs in this show.
Jan 15, 2009 5:48 AM

Jun 2008
Is this not subbed? I can't find the sub anywhere >.<
Jan 16, 2009 9:58 AM

Apr 2008
Wow, Grell is my new favorite character in this show. (:
Enjoyable series. And, agreed, such lovely character designs!

@myexodus: You can download it at animetake.com. :O
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2009 10:14 AM

Oct 2008
Yeah, Grell has shown his true self :D
This show enjoys me more and more with every new episode! Even different variations of "London brige" are nice :)
Sooo lovely :3
Jan 16, 2009 12:28 PM

Mar 2008
wow. looks like things are starting to get way more interesting.
:D

i liked the background info we finally get on ciel. very nicely done, explains his current position
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2009 12:30 PM

Oct 2008
am i the only guy watching this still?

creepy episode though
Jan 16, 2009 2:07 PM

Aug 2008
nope shoxk, I am...this felt more Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and not in a good way. I can't put my finger on it, but there was just something I generally disliked about this episode.
Jan 16, 2009 3:16 PM

Jun 2008
lol Ciel stole half of Sebastian's catchphrase XD

and loved the flashback, the music was amazing!
TakaiJan 16, 2009 3:20 PM
Jan 16, 2009 3:20 PM

Jul 2008
This Episode gets a 5, almost purely because it contains Grell <3
LOVE that crazy cookie <3
Jan 16, 2009 3:22 PM

Nov 2007
Return of Grell =O, and what a messed up birthday D:
Jan 16, 2009 3:28 PM

Jun 2008
i have to say i love Joker >_> i feel my drawing inspiration coming back suddenly, i want to draw him <3333333
Jan 17, 2009 10:13 AM

Dec 2008
Grell is awesome.

"CAN I KISS HIM!? EVEN... DOWN BELOW!?" Oh God I laughed. Loved this episode though. Also, interesting to see a compassionate side of Ciel (with Lizzy).

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection
Jan 18, 2009 3:32 PM

Jun 2008
I really, really hope that this new doll villan guy isn't a substitute for Joker. They look similar, but their personalities and stuff are different. Joker is way more cool.

Rule of Anime #18 - Law of Hemoglobin Capacity
The human body contains over 12 gallons of blood, sometimes more, under high pressure.
Jan 18, 2009 5:12 PM

Jun 2008
lol Grell is such a disgusting psychopath.

Jan 19, 2009 11:06 AM

May 2008
Grell's awesome and I'm glad he showed up, I was beginning to miss him! xDDD

Takai said:
i have to say i love Joker >_> i feel my drawing inspiration coming back suddenly, i want to draw him <3333333

:o So I'm not the only one... his makeup is so fun to draw. ><
Jan 22, 2009 11:39 AM

Apr 2007
I start to like Greil. I disliked him for killing Lady Red, but I can't resist his lovely gayness... XD

Too much Elizabeth in this episode though... and way too much Ciel being concerned about her. >_>
Jan 26, 2009 11:55 AM

Mar 2008
wah~ for someone who is generally freaked out by victorian dolls this episode was creepy as hell >w< is nice to see that it may be turning back to the kind of creepiness that made me fall in love with the show in the first few episodes ^__^

and yes, 5/5 for Grell >.< he is LEGEND |3
Jan 26, 2009 10:40 PM

Jul 2008

The only reason anyone ever needs to watch this episode.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Jan 27, 2009 10:58 PM

May 2008
So, this episode basically answers the question: if your mother is killed during the Oedipal stage of development, what are the consequences down the line?

Answer: you're forced into an ambiguous master-slave relationship with a demon by a cult of creepy mask-wearing occultists. Then, you come to necessarily depend on the demon -- fond of its maternal aspects, yet aggressive towards its paternal features -- while it reciprocates its intense desire to have you soul with a bevy of undertones: sadomasochistic, pedophilic, homoerotic. Also, you end up hating your birthday.

Well, more accurately, it finally the poses the question to the answer it's been giving all along. However, this series is still working on a much deeper level than I first expected!

Grell was hilarious and I agree the dollmaker henchman was done quite well in both character design and presentation, including the use of the London Bridge song. Quite creepy! I like the exposition about Ciel's backstory, even though it only gave us marginally new information.

(I'm also a guy, shoxk.)
Jan 28, 2009 8:37 PM

Aug 2007
Agreed to a few points.

The doll maker does look similar to Joker but Joker definitely had a personality and was not like a puppet/robot himself (some of his movements were rough and rigged like it was mechanical). This is my first time watching and reading at the same time (I usually never read) so I'm actually able to pick up the differences (in this case, vast) in storyline. So it's almost as if we're getting two versions of the same series (and I don't just mean reading and watching).

Another deal is that the animation do look very slick. I think it's like X or Blood: The Last Vampire where even if it was made many years ago (X), the graphics are still so nicely done that time has no real effect on it.

I'm actually very, very, very annoyed by Elizabeth, will never call her "Lizzy", and am quite frankly rooting for her death. xD Sorry for any fans, but she needs to die. Right now. I was surprised when I first started the series at how dark it was and I absolutely came to love it so much more because of the dark side. With Elizabeth? It kills, and her voice as well as personality and presence brings me to wish each and every time that I see or read of her...that she dies. So, my dear dark series, please, as a favor, kill her off. After all, it would help by bringing more drama to Ciel's life, especially if he did lose her on his birthday. See? Two birds with one stone.

Lots more to say but I'll leave it at that.
Feb 7, 2009 11:12 PM

Nov 2006
THIS IS THE WORST FILLER EVER. IT'S EVEN WORSE THAN D.GRAY-MAN, AND THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING. AUGHHHHHHDlfdlf;s;fsdf
May 23, 2009 1:04 AM
Jul 2008
O my god!!! I was surprised to see Rozen maiden dolls in this episode! it's remarkable!)))
Jun 14, 2009 7:19 PM

Nov 2007
Okay, so did anyone else pick up on the fact that the series clearly goofed this episode? Allegedly, a Reaper's (shinigami, whatever) scythe or scythe substitute can cut through anything, right? We were told this. So why in the world did Greil's scissors fail to slice through that one puppet's hands? Huh? Did this bother anyone else?
Jun 18, 2009 9:28 AM

Apr 2009
'I long for those vibrations again!'
Wow, Grell is permanently horny Dx

Elizabeth, please die. kthxbai

That organ-grinder/dollmaker reminds me of Hikaru/Kaoru so much xD
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 1, 2009 2:06 PM

Aug 2008
chicanerous said:
So, this episode basically answers the question: if your mother is killed during the Oedipal stage of development, what are the consequences down the line?

Answer: you're forced into an ambiguous master-slave relationship with a demon by a cult of creepy mask-wearing occultists. Then, you come to necessarily depend on the demon -- fond of its maternal aspects, yet aggressive towards its paternal features -- while it reciprocates its intense desire to have you soul with a bevy of undertones: sadomasochistic, pedophilic, homoerotic. Also, you end up hating your birthday.

Well, more accurately, it finally the poses the question to the answer it's been giving all along. However, this series is still working on a much deeper level than I first expected!

Grell was hilarious and I agree the dollmaker henchman was done quite well in both character design and presentation, including the use of the London Bridge song. Quite creepy! I like the exposition about Ciel's backstory, even though it only gave us marginally new information.

(I'm also a guy, shoxk.)
HAHAHAHA thanks so much, you made me laugh out loud =)

I can't agree more with you! (Except the part when you say you're a guy, lol)

Tsumayouji said:
Okay, so did anyone else pick up on the fact that the series clearly goofed this episode? Allegedly, a Reaper's (shinigami, whatever) scythe or scythe substitute can cut through anything, right? We were told this. So why in the world did Greil's scissors fail to slice through that one puppet's hands? Huh? Did this bother anyone else?
Yes, I was wondering that too D:

Aug 8, 2009 9:14 AM

Jan 2009
Ciel promising Grell one day with Sebastian in which he can do whatever he wants to him O_o... that's like Shinigami heaven for him *_*!

i really don't know if this is still a filler or not, but after i finish the anime i really want to read the manga too; hopefully i'll understand more about Ciel's past because right now with the explanations so far i'm worse than clueless. to me everything make less sense with every episode...

Aug 31, 2009 2:24 AM
Jul 2009
I like Shinigami xD
Sep 1, 2009 1:27 PM

Jul 2009
Graill irresistible... but I still a little bewildered by his gayness. He is male, right? 0_o
If I could fly...
Sep 29, 2009 9:18 AM

Sep 2008
Ahh, more creepy dolls. o_o I seem to be watching a lot of stuff with creepy dolls in it lately heh. At least they weren't possessed or anything this time around, they just looked creepy.
wtf @ Greil's extreme gay-ness.
oh and,
Tsumayouji said:
I was also wondering this. D:
Oct 26, 2009 7:50 AM

May 2009
love the episode the part with the doll maker is cool
Nov 14, 2009 7:30 AM
Sep 2008
Oh, it just got grimdark.

I really liked this episode. The whole doll thing is actually pretty cool and creepy. lol the dog finally got some clothes.
Dec 20, 2009 6:32 AM

Apr 2009
the episodes are just better and better. and these are still fillers? wow. I've recently started to get those in a number of shows. is it something like 'good filler episode' season or something? but really, a great episode. can't wait for the next.

Tsumayouji said:
yeah, that scene made me wonder. maybe greil got into so much trouble so that they really are just plain scissors after all? but on the other hand it's kind of crazy, even if it's someone who managed to get a chainsaw in the 19th century.

Catboy said:
lol the dog finally got some clothes.
yeah, i laughed qute a bit. what happens when he calms down and turns back into a dog? Bye bye pretty clothes lol
Jan 19, 2010 3:26 PM

Nov 2009
chicanerous said:

(I'm also a guy, shoxk.)

ahaha glad to see i'm not the only one thinking about the oedipal stage here =P
"Father yearned for yesterday. You yearn for today. I yearn for tomorrow." -Lelouch
Jan 20, 2010 9:24 AM

Nov 2007
can anyone link me the music when
Jan 23, 2010 9:37 AM

Aug 2009
Ohh, Elizabeth's going to be turned into a doll. Ciel you better hurry up or you'll lose your fiancee. Also, why don't they show the eyes of Ciel's father? Is he like going to play a role in the future? Makes me wonder.

Grell became Ciel's partner for a while only because Ciel will let him do whatever he wants to Sebastian later on, lol. Pluto seems to be worthless since he didn't even transform when Ciel needed him. :(

I wonder what happened to Ciel in that birthday party of his when he was younger. Some kind of ritual occured to him. Also, I think the reason why Grell's scissors couldn't cut down those metal dolls was because he's using a ordinary scissors since that guy took his sycthe away, lol.
Mar 15, 2010 6:40 PM

Jan 2010
1. Greil is officialy gay
2. I cried when the cut and branded ceil
3. pluto was pretty much usless
4. joker is so damn hot
5. joker is cool with his power and stuff
6. Elizabeth better not be a doll in the next episode
Jun 15, 2010 4:25 AM

Jun 2010
Bakayaro said:

The only reason anyone ever needs to watch this episode.

Yes! :D
Almost like a Sailor Moon.
His moves I mean, and the moon in the background.
Jun 20, 2010 8:45 AM

Aug 2009
I had no idea this show was gonna be so halloween-ish! This is awesome!
Jun 30, 2010 4:53 PM

May 2009
The appearance of Grell makes this episode the best since the end of the first arc.
Jul 3, 2010 3:41 PM
Mar 2010
That was some nice noah ship^^
Aug 13, 2010 1:01 AM

Aug 2009
NOOOO!!!

SEBASTIAN!!
Sep 4, 2010 2:57 AM

May 2010
Grell is in epic gayness mode... WIN..
Oct 12, 2010 6:30 PM

May 2010
I'm ashamed to say this but I actually like Grell...I hate him but at the same time he really amuses me.

Also! Finally get to see a bit more of what happened to Ciel. It's horribly sad and upsetting but I want to know!
Oct 23, 2010 3:59 PM

Jun 2009
Good to see some background in Ciel’s past.
Grell was bribed with one day of ‘do-whatever-you-want-to-Sebastian’. Amusing.

They still can’t make me like Elizabeth, I don’t care for her. Pluto is useless too.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Nov 5, 2010 1:48 PM

Apr 2007
Yay for more Grell <3

It seems they took some elements from the circus arc in the manga and put their own twist on things. It's interesting in a few ways, at least.
Dec 4, 2010 1:39 PM
Jul 2010
LovingHate said:
1. Greil is officialy gay
2. I cried when the cut and branded ceil
3. pluto was pretty much usless
4. joker is so damn hot
5. joker is cool with his power and stuff

6. Elizabeth better not be a doll in the next episode

Agree with everything. Especially the bold part xD

It was nice to see some of Ciel's background. I want to know more... This was probably the best episode so far imo. I just loved it.

Also, did anyone notice:
Dec 16, 2010 7:14 AM

Jun 2010
Greil is so over the top, I love him... her? Him?

I wonder if there will be a 'Masonic' type theme, what with Ciel being branded in that strange ritual. This is Victorian London, after all.
Feb 23, 2011 8:02 AM

Apr 2010
where can i watch this episode?
Mar 17, 2011 3:03 PM

Jan 2010
KYAAAAA!!! Moving dolls are creepy /\/\/\
Denerwować się to mścić się na własnym zdrowiu za głupotę innych.
Jun 26, 2011 1:30 PM

Dec 2009
Grell in this episode was just ...wow lol
God, I don't like Pluto..
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 9, 2009

69 by Apratim »»
Apr 22, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SlaughterChichi - Mar 26, 2009

318 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 22, 7:52 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MaxwellLily - Oct 30, 2008

115 by Apratim »»
Apr 21, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zeino - Mar 12, 2009

110 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 21, 2:21 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Chrissi-chan- - Mar 9, 2009

107 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 20, 4:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.