Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 8, 2007 4:02 PM

Sep 2007
I'm not sure if I should say people.
Alot of anime blogers go crazy for Lucky ☆ Star and I don't
get it. I watched two episodes and am not a fan at all.
So my question is : Are you a big fan of Lucky ☆ Star.
And if so, why?

{Please forgive and spelling and grammar errors}
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2007 4:06 PM

Aug 2007
I've only seen the first episode and didnt really like it, but because Ive heard so many good things I will watch some more episodes soon.
Oct 8, 2007 4:08 PM

Sep 2007
The first two episodes aren't fantastic. I suppose it gets a tad better around episode 5-ish, but anyway. I've finished the whole series, it's probably a 7 or 8 on my list. I didn't like it as much as my brother did, but I did like the interaction between Kagami and Konata. Plus Lucky Channel did it for me. The endings aren't too great either but when Minoru starts doing his gigs around ep 13, it becomes a lot better.

Other than that, at episode 14, I remember thinking "Oh great, I still have 10 episodes left." And each episode took FOREVER to end (in my opinion).

Yeah, not too big a fan of Lucky Star, I see what you're saying :)
Oct 8, 2007 4:12 PM

Sep 2007
To me the anime seems like a bunch schools talking about random dull things that
aren't funny.
Oct 8, 2007 4:21 PM

Jan 2007
I got as far as episode two, also. I'm gonna give it a try again, though, since everyone likes it so much. I like Azumanga Daioh and Ichigo Mashimaro a lot so if this gets better I figure I'll enjoy it quite a bit.
Oct 8, 2007 4:22 PM

Sep 2007
Roxkis said:
To me the anime seems like a bunch schools talking about random dull things that
aren't funny.

Uh, that pretty much sums it up =/ The only thing that's really different is their endings.
Oct 8, 2007 4:25 PM

Jun 2007
i dont love it cause they talk WAY TOO MUCH about NOTHING AT ALL. But it did make me laugh ocasionally... i dont really mind it, and i loved Konata so, that kinda makes up for it.

Oct 8, 2007 4:26 PM

Sep 2007
AirStriker said:
Roxkis said:
aren't funny.

Uh, that pretty much sums it up =/ The only thing that's really different is their endings.

After reading your first post I was thinking of watching a few more episodes, but
if it just continues like that then forget it.

I don't see the point of watching an anime with no plot.
Oct 8, 2007 4:26 PM
Sep 2006
Actually, I generally hate shows like Lucky Star, but I ended up watching LS with a friend which makes it more enjoyable. It's just one of those things that loses a lot of its flare when you're watching it alone. Having friends with you to laugh with is kind of necessary when watching this type of show. ^^
Oct 8, 2007 4:32 PM

May 2007
True, the anime gets better and better from episode 5-ish and up. The director changed after episode 4, I believe.

You might say Lucky Star is easily acceptable, just like Azumanga Daioh, Crayon Shin-chan, or even Seinfield, as there is no real story plot engulfing this 24-episode comedy series. Any non hardcore anime fan can laugh watching it. You don't need to get the references to get a lot of the jokes. Heck, they even made American show based references. Frankly, I find the anime bloggers are the ones who criticize Lucky Star a lot. They say this anime attract attention and fanbase from the akiba crowd, or whatever the case might be.

The plotless story revolves on the average modern day daily life of the girls with a splice of the Japanese culture. I like how the comedy is done in a slow and laid back pace as it is. And not just references, the jokes pertaining real life circumstance are really, really up to date.

In my personal perspective, a lot of things they talk about, stuff they do, they did occur in my own experience. Of course, I’m amused seeing my own habits appear in an anime show and especially illustrated with those cute chibi high school girls. I know this is not everybody’s anime. People who have totally different lifestyle will find almost everything irrelevant and “weird” for them so to speak.

At first, I thought only the Hirano Aya fans, or any Haruhi cast crew supporters, or Kyoto Animation supporters are the ones who give Lucky Star 5 out of 5 stars. Apparently, several of my friends who didn’t watch a lot of anime think Lucky Star is great. Basically it's up to you. This anime have different appeal to everyone.
Oct 8, 2007 5:11 PM

Mar 2005
*moves to Lucky Star board*

Roxkis said:

I don't see the point of watching an anime with no plot.

not all anime have to revolve around plots. Lucky Star is part of a genre called slice-of-life, and there's a lot of anime where there is no plot, and you just watch the daily life of characters. If you're looking for action you will be disappointed, so the answer is...don't look for action lol. Would you look for guns and explosions in an episode of Seinfeld or Friends? nope, and Lucky Star runs along these lines.
Oct 8, 2007 5:17 PM

Jun 2007
Moe phenomenon mixed with a healthy dash of industry reference and a catchy dance number.

And BOOM...success in a can. Now, market it.
Oct 8, 2007 7:59 PM

Jul 2007
One major reason I like it so much is well... alot of those stuff and situations they talk about actually happened to me. I also talk about them or at least wondered about them. Its just fun to watch some anime repeating something you done. Its not that funny but its just fun to watch.

One example is when Kanata visit. I warmed my heart since in the past and still in some way think my grandma (not my mom, she still alive. :D) would look over me like that.

So yeah, you life experiences can work for or against you for Lucky Star.
Oct 8, 2007 9:59 PM

Sep 2007
It's hard to say. Cute girls? I like how Konata and Kagami always tease each other. Also, Konata kinda reminds me of myself. She's a procrastinator and always talks about anime. The anime references are just extra icing on the cake. It’s the slice of life-ness that’s just like “Oh, I do that, too!” and just the ironic things that happen and things that go a little too far, like discussions about Miyuki’s bust size or Konata’s dad liking high school girls a little too much. XD

What I don’t get is what’s so great about Haruhi. @_@

Roxkis said:
I don't get it. I watched two episodes and am not a fan at all.
I only watched 2 eps. and didn't like it, also! Then I saw clips from later episodes on YouTube, which made me want to watch it again, and now I like it!
Nek0Oct 10, 2007 9:46 PM

Oct 9, 2007 1:05 AM

Jul 2007
I like it because I can relate to it a lot. I went to a lot of the places and events (comiket, animate, gamers) that they do. It reminds me of when I was living in Japan. All the talk about kotatsus or making your friends call you '-sama' is nostalgic.
And I think it's really fun and unique. Definitely not for everyone tho.
Oct 9, 2007 1:30 AM

Feb 2007
I'm having negative thoughts right now. Jeez, another user posting their distaste for an anime they don't like by making a thread. Can't you do this in a blog entry instead? Anyway, Here we go again...

LS isn't for everyone, but I find it hard for anime fans to not like it. The character interaction is great, and after Episode 5, the jokes get a lot better. They do ride on the Haruhi hype train quite a lot at times, but they make up for it with the final 4 episodes. Those were the best episodes of comedy anime I've watched this year.

Plus, BadSeafood also makes another good (and funny) point.

BadSeafood said:
Moe phenomenon mixed with a healthy dash of industry reference and a catchy dance number.

And BOOM...success in a can. Now, market it.

Roxkis, if you don't enjoy LS after Episode 6 or 7, then you might as well drop it, since it isn't your type of anime.
BlueYoshiOct 9, 2007 1:36 AM
Oct 9, 2007 2:17 PM

Sep 2007
BlueYoshi said:
Roxkis, if you don't enjoy LS after Episode 6 or 7, then you might as well drop it, since it isn't your type of anime.
You HAVE to watch episode 8!

Oct 10, 2007 6:11 PM

May 2007
Man, you might think lucky star is over rated, but thats because you did not find the deeper meaning of watching such series.
Its not just parody, it has sometimes some philosophical questions behind.
Of course thats not all the time. But it still has.
Another thing is the psychology analisys shown by the anime.
It might sound crazy and maybe difficult, but the show it self tries to explain/show/understand personality patterns, and also makes you identify yourself as one of those thousand characters.

It might sound silly, but alot of people, including my self acts like konata. (Otaku, delayer, pulls all-nighter one day before tests xD, lazy and lot more.)
There also alot of tsunderes i know exactly as kagami
Or even tsukasa.

The only type i did not manage to met was Miyuki xDD

Well.... Thats mine opinion, there are loads of people who just watch it cuz they have fun seeing those types of storys.
Oct 10, 2007 7:03 PM

Aug 2006
Meh, dropped it halfway through. Like all the KyoAni animes I've seen, it was OK but not even close to being worthy of all the praise it gets. Oh well though, thats the way its always gonna be I guess. Now with Clannad airing I'm sure that regardless of how good it is the praise will just come pouring in. I'm staying far away from this one though.
Oct 11, 2007 1:22 AM

Feb 2007
Mk200114 said:
BlueYoshi said:
You HAVE to watch episode 8!

I was talking to Roxkis. I finished LS two weeks ago.
Oct 11, 2007 4:54 AM

Jul 2007
the point is to watch it with friends.

The series is a little funny, even when your alone.
but nothing like sayonara zetsubo sensei, which is hilarious btw.

Lucky Star is also probally the number one show viewed by pedophiles, considering that everyone in the show looks like a 12 year old.

Oct 11, 2007 5:10 AM

Feb 2007
Ammy said:
Lucky Star is also probally the number one show viewed by pedophiles, considering that everyone in the show looks like a 12 year old.

When Kodomo No Jikan starts, THAT will be the number one show viewed by pedophiles.
Oct 11, 2007 5:15 AM

Jul 2007
BlueYoshi said:
Ammy said:

When Kodomo No Jikan starts, THAT will be the number one show viewed by pedophiles.

XD
hahaha, no doubt

Oct 11, 2007 5:17 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Ammy said:

Lmao!

You can enjoy Lucky Star even if you watch it alone, it was hilarious when I did.

If you think SZS is funnier than LS, then that's your opinion and not necessarily the opinion of everybody else.

And that comment about pedophiles just cracked me up. Sources? Ahaha~ xD

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 12, 2007 9:10 AM
Jun 2007
Lucky Star is funnier if you're watched other shows. The entire series is basically a fan service to fans of other series like Suzumiya Haruhi, Kanon, Sergeant Frog, and others. Not only that, but there are several subtle (and some not-so-subtle)references to video games. Most of the jokes are small references, but they're easy to catch if you've watched other series. For example, there was one scene of Kagami yelling at Konata for something or another, and then for about two seconds, Konata is shown with angel wings saying "~uguu~" which is a direct reference to Kanon. Just listen to the absurd stuff that Konata spouts off, you'll start hearing things that sound familiar. Also, the Lucky Channel at the end is hilarious even if you're not well-versed in other anime. I also like the karaoke segments during the end credits, where the seiyuus sing the Doraemon Theme and "Cha-La Head-Cha-La" from Dragon Ball Z. Again, it's a throwback to other series that will appeal to fans.
Oct 13, 2007 1:44 PM

Aug 2007
I love Lucky Star basically because it manages to keep a smile on my face throughout each episode. It has this certain charm I can't explain, but even if the series isn't "LOL ROFL" funny, I'm still entertained regardless of whats happening it the episode.

Plus I like the opening lolz.
Oct 13, 2007 1:53 PM

Jun 2007
I only watched 2 eps of it and I stopped. they talked about stuff that completly bored me... if its true that it gets better then I may continue to watch because (the same reason as haruhi) I love the animation x3 its just adorable: 10 for animation. and I do love konata and the op
Oct 13, 2007 2:06 PM

Nov 2006
MOE MOE MOE
MUST STICK PENIS IN [LUCKY STAR GIRL'S NAME HERE]

also, voice actors.
Oct 14, 2007 8:07 PM

May 2007
windy said:
MOE MOE MOE

also, voice actors.

huh?
Oct 14, 2007 8:18 PM

Sep 2007
ahazkun said:
windy said:
MOE MOE MOE

also, voice actors.

huh?

Thats what I said.......
Oct 14, 2007 8:49 PM

Jun 2007
Roxkis said:
ahazkun said:
windy said:
MOE MOE MOE

also, voice actors.

huh?

Thats what I said.......

Its a joke, cuz shes female.

Oct 14, 2007 8:52 PM

Sep 2007
Legion17 said:
Roxkis said:
ahazkun said:
windy said:
MOE MOE MOE

also, voice actors.

huh?

Thats what I said.......

Its a joke, cuz shes female.

....ohhh...... (o_o)
[feels really stupid]
Oct 15, 2007 8:37 AM

May 2007
Roxkis said:
[feels really stupid]
Same
Oct 16, 2007 10:26 PM

Sep 2007
Lucky Star is a series that starts off slow, and then gets to be outrageously awesome in the later episodes.

Probably also helps somewhat if you understand otaku culture and can relate to konata, and have seen the anime that get parodied.
Oct 16, 2007 10:35 PM

Sep 2007
Maybe I'm not with the times anymore....

I remember back in my day [last year]
animes didn't have to be random to be popular.
Those where the good old days.
Oct 16, 2007 10:50 PM

Sep 2007
It's no more random than Azumanga Daioh, which is older than a year. And it's much less random than Excel Saga (aired 1999), which is immensely popular.

Haruhi Suzumiya, was as random as Lucky Star (if not moreso) and probably the *most* popular anime of last year.

And Death Note, the majority of which aired during 2007, was hardly random at all.

Your statement makes no sense.
Oct 16, 2007 10:51 PM

Jul 2007
cyruz said:
Ammy said:

Lmao!

You can enjoy Lucky Star even if you watch it alone, it was hilarious when I did.

If you think SZS is funnier than LS, then that's your opinion and not necessarily the opinion of everybody else.

And that comment about pedophiles just cracked me up. Sources? Ahaha~ xD

xD
my sources?
My own mind and those crazy kids on youtube xD

Oct 17, 2007 8:54 AM

May 2007
Ammy said:
crazy kids on youtube xD

XDDD
true.
Oct 18, 2007 12:59 PM

Sep 2007
Roxkis said:
I'm not sure if I should say people.
Alot of anime blogers go crazy for Lucky ☆ Star and I don't
get it. I watched two episodes and am not a fan at all.
So my question is : Are you a big fan of Lucky ☆ Star.
And if so, why?

I think it all depends on where your from, alot of american's might not really understand this series considering its nothing like the usual stuff they see on Adult Swim. Personally I like, could almost say I love, this series because of all the references it makes to other anime series and the fact that its so kawaii...

@running_lemon I think your being a bit shallow/hard headed in saying that all KyoAni produced series don't deserve the praise they get, series like this are intended for Japanese to understand and relate to so maybe you just don't understand these things or you are cold hearted.

Oct 31, 2007 12:23 PM

Aug 2007
I decided to watch this series on a whim and my first thought was that it's too random and not very funny. The beginning episodes, namely episode one and two, took some getting used to, but it picked up after that and I'm hooked. If your first impression isn't so great, keep watching. It does get better!
Nov 1, 2007 5:46 AM

Jun 2007
I also started watching the series on a gamble and I loved it from the start, even though the first episode started pretty slow. After a few episodes I thought the series was gold and then I started a Lucky Star fad on another board and drove some people crazy. lol
Nov 18, 2007 4:26 PM

Oct 2007
i think lucky star is quite overrated....
im almost done the series, and i dont get what the hype is about.
and its not even THAT funny... by the time a joke comes, you are too bored to laugh out loud.

i dont get whats so great about this series, although i must admit the opening song is a bit catchy.
Nov 18, 2007 4:59 PM

Oct 2007
The key to watching Lucky Star is to NOT watch it in order if you have never seen it. It's true that the show has no clear particular plot, so watching it out of order isn't a big deal. The thing that puts most people off is when they start watching episodes 1 and 2. The first few episodes are amusing, but the anime really picks up in later episodes.

It's not really something for everyone if you don't like the humor. Usually, I am the kind of person that would flat out hate an anime series if it has a crappy plot. Lucky Star is one of the few exceptions just because it does not set out trying to follow a particular plot. It's based on a 4 panel comic strip, so this should be obvious. The main reason why people like Lucky Star is probably the pure humor. There are a lot of jokes and ridiculous inside jokes. Even if you're not a gamer, don't play mmorpg's, or, at worse, don't watch anime, there are still so many random jokes that everyone can enjoy.

To sum up the anime in three words: pure comical randomness.
Nov 19, 2007 8:34 PM
Sep 2007
I started watching Lucky Star when my bf found the OP on youtube, and we thought it was funny, So we decided to watch the series.

I think the main pro of this series is the comedy, that everyone can understand, Just like AegisReborn said, and its worth the hype to the people with the right sense of humor for this anime.

A lot of the people I've seen here who aren't fans of LS, are fans of a lot of anime with explosions and guns etc. So most of the time it seems obvious to me why they wouldn't like it.
Nov 19, 2007 10:06 PM
Nov 2007
AegisReborn said:
The thing that puts most people off is when they start watching episodes 1 and 2. The first few episodes are amusing, but the anime really picks up in later episodes.

QFT

I saw the first episode and thought "This is horrible! All they do is talk nonsense." and promptly dropped it. Then a few weeks later my friends got to talking about how it was much better then they had first thought and, feeling a little left out of the conversation, I decided to pick it back up again.
I'm very glad I gave it a second chance. I would have missed many a funny moment, and vast amounts of Haruhi references too. =p
Nov 21, 2007 5:37 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Hmm... I haven't downloaded it yet so I don't know....I plan to watch though....But Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu was really original. You have to have an incredible knowledge of anime, manga, Japanese culture and language to get all the jokes and satyre of it. It's like when I watched Seto no Hanayome I laughed like crazy but my friends didn't get it at all. Even with subtitles they didn't get the satirical mentions in it (especially the sakura music in the background that was reference to really really old Japanese dramas or the play with words as well as the hilarious slang expressions) I guess you really have to be Japanese or to be extremely familiar with the controversial image of otaku in Japan...to enjoy the series at its fullest.... but you don't have to...My Japanese is not that good yet but I indeed have a great familiarity with Japanese culture though.....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 22, 2007 6:07 PM
Nov 2007
I downloaded the first episode and, unlike just about everyone else, thought "wtf they're talking about eating snack foods. haha I need to watch this show".

Also, when Konata set her ringtone to Mikuru singing the song from episode 1 of Haruhi, that made me happy. Because that's been my ringtone for almost a year. :)
Nov 24, 2007 9:52 PM

Oct 2007
at first, Lucky Star didnt look interesting. but when i tried to watched it, i got interested
Nov 29, 2007 6:23 AM
Jul 2018
the first three episode is make by a director which will be replace by another want in episode 4.. u will starting to enjoy it after episode 7.. I cannot get enough of it...
Nov 29, 2007 8:20 AM

Nov 2007
Lucky Star is cute and makes for good light entertainment. Its certainly not deep and will probably be horribly dated in a few years (hellooooooo too many Haruhi references) but it's definitely good for some giggles and relaxation, and the characters are pretty likable and have a good group dynamic. I gave it an 8/10.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

chibuki - Sep 16, 2007

253 by EggWithNoPan »»
Apr 20, 1:55 AM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Sep 10, 2007

85 by biuberry »»
Apr 9, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Joseph_ - Aug 27, 2007

112 by biuberry »»
Apr 8, 4:12 AM

Poll: » Lucky Star Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - May 22, 2007

84 by Celt1cs »»
Apr 7, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sidestep - Aug 19, 2007

62 by biuberry »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.