Forum Settings
Forums

Visual Novel 'White Album 2' to be Animated

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 6, 2013 8:50 PM

Nov 2011
Might give it a shot. I'm not really a big fan of the first seasons though.
Apr 6, 2013 8:51 PM

Jan 2013
People who dont play Visual Novels referring to any Novel with romance as a dating sim.

Never gets old.
Apr 6, 2013 8:54 PM

May 2009
Stark700 said:
Might give it a shot. I'm not really a big fan of the first seasons though.

It isn't really the "sequel" to the first White Album, definitely not "second season". The only references to WA1 are the same town and three songs "White Album", "Sound of Destiny", "Power Snow" and that's it. Someone on /jp/ said before that WA2 could be renamed to "Todokanai Koi" (Unreachable Love) and the experience would remain the same.

btw, I really hope Suara will participate in this project because Uehara Rena's songs are really the weak point in WA2's music department...
bahoadayApr 6, 2013 9:11 PM
"Life is not fair. Get used to it" -- Bill Gates
Apr 6, 2013 8:57 PM

Jun 2009
I heard White Album 2, the VN, was really freaking good so I'm definitely looking forward to this. I'd rather wait for the VN to get translated. But, hell, Introductory Chapter isn't even finished yet.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 6, 2013 9:05 PM

Jan 2010
Now this is excellent news.

I wish the translation project was still alive though...
Ok™
Apr 6, 2013 9:08 PM

Aug 2009
Oh boy I really hope they won't mess this one up. Having Maruto(Original author) be in charge of the script makes me more hopeful at least.

Interesting to see which scenario they will choose in Coda...
Apr 6, 2013 9:13 PM

Jan 2013
Just wanted to repeat this, VNs featuring romance with individual routes are not all "dating sims".
Apr 6, 2013 9:15 PM

May 2009
opernlied said:
I'm not sure whether this classifies as a nakige, utsuge, or a combination of both. Some moon expert enlighten me.

Both in my opinion. Some parts of the story are just depressing (and rage-inducing) but the others are tear-jerking.
Well, it also depends on which heroine you root for in the end.
bahoadayApr 6, 2013 9:19 PM
Apr 6, 2013 9:37 PM

Dec 2011
Though I haven't played White Album 2, it has received A LOT of praise. However like most eroge that end up getting animated, there's a very large chance that this will turn out to be a disaster.
I blog about eroge at:
Apr 6, 2013 9:41 PM

Apr 2011
Drizzy_Drake said:
I should be called "Black Album" just because

For some reason, "Black Album" sounds familiar...

NEKO WORKi?
Apr 6, 2013 9:52 PM

Sep 2011
This looks amazing.

Hopefully its nothing like the other White Album.
Apr 6, 2013 10:11 PM

Jan 2010
I honestly don't get the hate of the first White Album series. I went in with no expectations, but I found it to be a very entertaining story after watching it.

The MC's actions really made you cringe, but it was like a slow moving train wreck that you just couldn't help but watch. Everything made sense if you paid attention to it so the nonsensical argument really didn't work either. The ending was mediocre which I will admit, but the drama throughout the show was pretty entertaining. I really liked the 1980's setting and the drama that came about because of it. Today we don't think twice about contacting someone, we just whip out our smartphone and text them. Back then, cell phones were attached to brief cases and were several pounds. It's not a show for everyone, but it's not a terrible show by any means if you take the time and watch for the subtle nuances in each episode.
Ok™
Apr 6, 2013 10:59 PM

Sep 2009
100 watch. I don't care about haters cause I really liked the first one. And if article is right they asked scriptwriter of VN itself to work on scenario for the anime.
Apr 6, 2013 11:30 PM

Apr 2010
Shit, I haven't touched White Album since 2010. Second season has been On-Hold since then. The audio was like 5 minutes out of sync on the stream I tried to use for it back then. Didn't torrent or even DDL back then so I gave up and set it aside. Then gradually forgot about it.

To be honest I barely remember watching the first season at all. Something about a dude in college who kept getting laid.

Well, maybe I'll finish out the second season at some point this year and give the new one a go.

Apr 7, 2013 3:15 AM
Nov 2012
I was excited by all that talk about how this is one of the best visual novels. Then I saw the trailer and it seemed like a terribly generic love triangle anime. Then again, most VN adaptions are generic.
Apr 7, 2013 3:23 AM

Sep 2012
mahay_love said:
I was excited by all that talk about how this is one of the best visual novels. Then I saw the trailer and it seemed like a terribly generic love triangle anime. Then again, most VN adaptions are generic.
Generic just means "characteristic of the genre" - nothing necessarily bad in itself. At the end it depends on the execution and presentation. Besides, how many VNs are not generic?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 7, 2013 3:24 AM

Jan 2012
Hope it arrives for the winter season 2022
My Twitter
My Tumblr - Anime Blogging on current airing season as I watch them.
My deviantArt - Anime FanArts.

Please leave replies on my profile page, as I am unlikely to see them otherwise. Thanks.
Apr 7, 2013 3:43 AM
Nov 2012
symbv said:
Generic just means "characteristic of the genre" - nothing necessarily bad in itself. At the end it depends on the execution and presentation. Besides, how many VNs are not generic?

I consider it bad since it's usually played too safe without trying anything new. I could think of many VNs that are not generic, unfortunately most of those never got adapted, but I'm sure there's about %80 chance that they will be generic when they do because a refined anime adaption of a visual novel is hard to reach.
Apr 7, 2013 4:08 AM
Sep 2012
Looks nice, probably going to watch it.
Apr 7, 2013 4:22 AM

May 2009
mahay_love said:

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Fujibayashi twins' arc in Clannad are "terribly generic" then.
Apr 7, 2013 4:27 AM

Apr 2012
Neither have I played the VN, nor have I watched the first season of this anime but I surely got my sights on this one. Quality product incoming. Heard a lot of good stuff about the closing chapter of White Album 2 and as Leaf haven't produced this as a bad title I hope the people who are responsible for the adaptation of this will make it faithful to the original and of course last but not least include White Album 2 ~closing chapter~. Oh, that opening theme is amazing by the way. That is all. :)
AerbageApr 7, 2013 5:38 AM
Dies Irae! :)
Apr 7, 2013 4:38 AM

Mar 2011
Looks like any other romance anime.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Apr 7, 2013 5:03 AM
Jul 2018
Wait is this the intro chapter or the closing chapter?

Because one sucks and the other is a masterpiece. Hmm.. from the webpage, it looks like the it's the closing chapter good.

Ironically, I just finished this game a while ago

some other screenshots
removed-userApr 7, 2013 5:29 AM
Apr 7, 2013 5:06 AM

Dec 2009
Apr 7, 2013 5:27 AM
Jul 2018
mahay_love said:

Well, this one takes place in college and has a more mature setting (work, money, relationship problems, pressure, you get it). But then again, the male lead isn't likeable at all, I wonder if he's really 20 lol.

Adapting a VN like this one is very difficult, I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to be happy right now. There's a huge chance that it'll turn out to be a lot worse so let's not get our hope up.
Apr 7, 2013 5:28 AM

May 2009
edwd2 said:

Because one sucks and the other is a masterpiece. Hmm.. from the webpage, it looks like the it's the closing chapter good.

You can't read Closing Chapter without reading Introductory Chapter. Both of them make up "White Album 2". Just like Clannad and Clannad After Story or Muv Luv Extra and Muv Luv Alternative. Furthermore, IC definitely isn't bad, either. It's better than many (if not most) romantic eroges, you know.

Personally, i hope they'll follow setsuna's true end. I consider that line the most realistic.

Me too.
Apr 7, 2013 5:51 AM
Jul 2018
bahoaday said:
edwd2 said:

You can't read Closing Chapter without reading Introductory Chapter. Both of them make up "White Album 2". Just like Clannad and Clannad After Story or Muv Luv Extra and Muv Luv Alternative. Furthermore, IC definitely isn't bad, either. It's better than many (if not most) romantic eroges, you know.

Well, I feel that the Introductory Chapter didn't have much to tell. I mean, really nothing much happened in it until the end, and it should be fine as long as the previous events are referred to in the flashbacks of the Closing Chapter and it could keep the viewers interested too. It's unnecessary to spend episodes animating how they were practicing for their performance.

For me at least, IC was quite boring until it became bad in the end
Apr 7, 2013 5:51 AM

May 2010
I like visual novels adaptation, since even if I don't like the main girl, I can play it and choice the one I liked most :D Besides charadesign looks nice, I'm probably in.
I hope that main girl isn't the tsundere, though.
Apr 7, 2013 6:03 AM

May 2009
edwd2 said:
Well, I feel that the Introductory Chapter didn't have much to tell. I mean, really nothing much happened in it until the end, and it should be fine as long as the previous events are referred to in the flashbacks of the Closing Chapter and it could keep the viewers interested too. It's unnecessary to spend episodes animating how they were practicing for their performance.

While Introductory Chapter doesn't have as much content as CC, it introduces the characters and makes you feel for them. It also helps you realize the significant contrast between the personalities of the characters at the beginning and the end of the story, thus emphasizes how devastating love can be (take Haruki and Setsuna for example). Re-reading IC after finishing CC and you will appreciate it more.

btw, the side story about Setsuna between IC and CC is one the reasons why I love this series so much. It explains her actions in CC well and make it very believable.

There's two tsunderes in WA2. However, they are different from the "normal" tsunderes, though.
bahoadayApr 7, 2013 6:12 AM
Apr 7, 2013 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
bahoaday said:
edwd2 said:

While Introductory Chapter doesn't have as much content as CC, it introduces the characters and makes you feel for them. It also helps you realize the significant contrast between the personalities of the characters at the beginning and the end of the story, thus emphasizes how devastating love can be (take Haruki and Setsuna for example). Re-reading IC after finishing CC and you will appreciate it more.

It's not bad for the visual novel however in the case of the anime, considering the limited budget and time, I'd say they better focus on CC. Even for the purpose of character introduction and familiarization, IC isn't very efficient. Perhaps they could compress it and animate the necessary parts.
Apr 7, 2013 6:17 AM

May 2010
bahoaday said:

There's two tsunderes in WA2. However, they are different from the "normal" tsunderes, though.

Well, damn.
I'm still not losing my hope though, there are some likeable tsundere around.
Apr 7, 2013 6:30 AM

Sep 2011
Looks like more and more popular eroges are being animated.
not that i'm complaining as long as they adapt em well.
Apr 7, 2013 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
ok, so it's this fall according to the official site.

Now I'm really worried if they can adapt this well in half a year.

Apr 7, 2013 7:02 AM

Sep 2012
edwd2 said:
ok, so it's this fall according to the official site.
I don't think this information is in the official site. The image you quoted seems to be from some general anime sites. The information about a fall schedule seems to be from some fans attending an event. So far I cannot find any confirmation from official source. Not to say that I don't believe a fall schedule - just want to stress that all we have so far is only information provided by fans.

By the way, key visual from the official website looks quite good:

symbvApr 7, 2013 7:10 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 7, 2013 7:53 AM

Nov 2008
Back when the first show aired it was only months since I had started watching anime and couldn't fully comprehend everything (tropes and what not) going on, and I remember being quite annoyed and disgusted with the male lead, but I've really come to appreciate the show, now looking back on it. I can only hope the same in this case. And please let there be a theme song by Uehara.
Apr 7, 2013 9:35 AM
Jun 2012
And anime will be have 50 episodes

Source http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-15545.html
Apr 7, 2013 12:23 PM

Jul 2011
White Album 2's one of the highest-rated visual novels out there [next to MLA and Clannad]. If a shit studio picks this up, it's going to suck [i.e. if the studio who adapted the first season picks this up, you're better off waiting for the finished translation of the novel]. If it's someone credible, then it's probably still going to suck [you cannot adapt 50 hours + of reading time within ~13 episodes, it would be difficult even with 26].
Apr 7, 2013 1:45 PM

Nov 2008
mdz said:
White Album 2's one of the highest-rated visual novels out there [next to MLA and Clannad]. If a shit studio picks this up, it's going to suck [i.e. if the studio who adapted the first season picks this up, you're better off waiting for the finished translation of the novel]. If it's someone credible, then it's probably still going to suck [you cannot adapt 50 hours + of reading time within ~13 episodes, it would be difficult even with 26].

Apparantly Satelight is picking this up.. according to the OP.
Apr 7, 2013 2:21 PM

Jan 2008
I just hope the male lead is less of a complete cunt than he was in the first season. Seriously the girls seemed interesting and I liked the whole idol thing, but damn that guy was a douchebag and made it painful to watch.
Apr 7, 2013 3:43 PM

Sep 2011
marconii2002 said:
And anime will be have 50 episodes

Source http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-15545.html

Wtf? are you serious?
holyshit i definitely wouldn't mind.
Apr 7, 2013 6:51 PM

Jan 2013
Romance anime appears generic to people who use anime to gary stu.

They can't connect with a guy who has a girlfriend, the concept is alien to them.
Apr 7, 2013 8:02 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
Another source is saying 13 episodes, and they'll only make more if it sells. Also overheard at an event. In other words, nothing is official on episode count yet.
And that source also said it will cover only the IC (Introductory Chapter). It seems that CC (Closing Chapter) and Coda, supposed to be the main story of the VN, won't be covered in the coming anime.

Apr 8, 2013 1:41 AM

May 2009
Aerbage said:
Why no closing chapter? :(

Because you can't watch closing chapter without going through introductory chapter first. If they decided to delicate the whole first season to IC, I'll be fine with that. Moreover, unlike Muv Luv Extra, IC is great and very emotional in the end. However, I highly doubt Satelight will use that approach because there isn't enough content in IC to be stuffed into the whole first season (6-8 ep for IC will be ideal). If you let the game play in auto mode, you will finish IC in about 8-9 hours and it's just like watching an anime (IC is linear).

Again, as symbv said, nothing is official yet.
bahoadayApr 8, 2013 1:48 AM
Apr 8, 2013 1:50 AM
Jul 2018
symbv said:
jmal said:
Another source is saying 13 episodes, and they'll only make more if it sells. Also overheard at an event. In other words, nothing is official on episode count yet.
And that source also said it will cover only the IC (Introductory Chapter). It seems that CC (Closing Chapter) and Coda, supposed to be the main story of the VN, won't be covered in the coming anime.

Well, I Hope that will turn out to be FALSE. Otherwise, it'll be disappointing.
Apr 8, 2013 5:14 PM

Jun 2010
Not familiar with it but I might watch it.
Apr 9, 2013 3:48 AM

Sep 2011
It seems this will go on my PTW. But it seems I need to watch White Album 1 first... or is it not necessary?

Apr 9, 2013 5:33 AM

Apr 2012
Tennouji_ said:
It seems this will go on my PTW. But it seems I need to watch White Album 1 first... or is it not necessary?

It is not necessary. But it is best to read the VN/eroge IMO if you are familiar with Japanese. :)
Dies Irae! :)
Apr 9, 2013 5:57 AM

Sep 2011
Aerbage said:
Tennouji_ said:

It is not necessary. But it is best to read the VN/eroge IMO if you are familiar with Japanese. :)

Glad to know that I don't need to watch the first White Album. And I can't play its VN because I can't read moonrunes. :(

Apr 9, 2013 11:16 AM

Nov 2008
i have been meaning to watch the first season in a long time but for some reason i always forget
Apr 9, 2013 1:05 PM

Jan 2010
jmal said:
The 50 ep thing was just what someone posted overhearing at some kind of event. It's not official.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-15553.html

4 cour is extremely unlikely without being split into multiple seasons for a late night anime anyway.

Yes, a 4 cour show in late night is basically unheard of. However, 50 episodes total doesn't seem very far fetched though. Large budget VN adaptions can get split 2 cour adaptions. Little Busters and Clannad are some more recent examples. Of course, it can go with the Majikoi style of bullshit and end up with a terrible 1 cour adaption, but I would not be surprised if this was 2 cour in the Fall of 2013 followed by a second one in the Fall of 2014.
Ok™
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
9 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
11 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

30 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.