Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 6, 2013 4:46 AM

Apr 2012
For those of you who have watched more than 1 adaptation. What do you prefer? I think it’s a good idea to compare them now because they’re all around the same point in the story. The first episode is roughly equal to the first two chapters of the manga. Chapter 1 of the light novel is equivalent to the first half of the episode. So we could compare the first chapter of the LN, the first two chapters of the manga and the first episode of the anime.

In order I like LN the best then the manga and then the anime. I like the light novel a little better than the manga because the manga cut some of Hachiman’s thoughts. I can understand why but I like his digressions and ultimately useless trains of thought. Also I’m pretty bad at reading the emotions of anime characters so being told that Yukino glanced at Hachiman “as one does when looking at garbage” means more than a picture of such.

Furthermore the first chapter strongly implied that Hachiman’s hostile thoughts and musing are actually a form of escapism. As an aside, I too use reason to try and subdue or redirect my emotions so I can understand how he uses them. With the likely fact, the author adds a bit of “depth” to the character Hachiman. I define depth as the answer to the question: how does the character change as you get to know them? (TV Tropes) Depth doesn’t really involve character development but instead is about hidden depths. Back on topic, I think his escapism is likely to be important (reader sympathy?) since it was established in the first chapter. Whereas in the manga or anime the reader or watcher assumes it’s just because he’s bitter, angry etc. However I think the manga is still a close second because of the combination of imagery and lack narrative cuts. It doesn't mean much but my brother prefers the manga for this reason as well.

As for the anime, it’s a long story. I will post it in this thread if anyone is interested. In short: I liked the visuals, I was somewhat disappointed with the dialogue cuts and I thought pacing was an issue. However the last two reasons are somewhat permissible with light novel adaptions. I suppose the “long story” would be explaining why and what more exactly.

Anyway for those who got this far, thoughts or rebuttals?

TL;DR - I like the LN the best and the anime the worst but I still like the anime. What are your thoughts?
terribadMay 20, 2013 6:08 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 6, 2013 9:15 AM
Jan 2013
Manga>LN>Anime

Manga - It has a good balance between visual humor and reflective part. I like the design.
LN - deep. (so obvious)
Anime- dynamic but full of holes. Design unaccustomed for me.

[Although is still too early to claim].
Apr 6, 2013 9:50 AM

Apr 2012
jimi888 said:
Manga>LN>Anime

Manga - It has a good balance between visual humor and reflective part. I like the design.
LN - deep. (so obvious)

I was worried that I was a little too early. Perhaps I should have asked: Which of the LN, manga or anime had the best initial impression for you?

The main purpose was to find out the different points of view on the anime by those who have read the LN or manga. Because when I watched the anime (with 5 translations so far) most of my thoughts were comparisons to the light novel or manga. I think people who watch the series will do the same and I wanted to see how my opinion differs.
May 6, 2013 2:51 PM

Dec 2007
I've only read 3chapters of the manga and not the LN, but my impression of the anime is that it's very good.
from the opening/ending, somehow the music composition (for example when he tries to save yui from yumiko, or when he does his 'meteor strike'), the seiyuus.
at first I was like 'the anime chara design is not as good as the manga is' (especially yui), but it's ok.
with these 3 chapters as a comparison anime is better. so I have the same criteria as jimi888 but the sounds make it all :p

May 7, 2013 12:08 AM

Apr 2012
ManteR said:
I've only read 3chapters of the manga and not the LN, but my impression of the anime is that it's very good.
from the opening/ending, somehow the music composition (for example when he tries to save yui from yumiko, or when he does his 'meteor strike'), the seiyuus.
at first I was like 'the anime chara design is not as good as the manga is' (especially yui), but it's ok.
with these 3 chapters as a comparison anime is better. so I have the same criteria as jimi888 but the sounds make it all :p

So your criteria gives more weight to sights and sounds as opposed to say dialogue, and thus the subtler elements of the story. If I'm right, it stands to reason why you would prefer the anime.
May 7, 2013 11:55 AM

Dec 2007
terribad said:
ManteR said:

So your criteria gives more weight to sights and sounds as opposed to say dialogue, and thus the subtler elements of the story. If I'm right, it stands to reason why you would prefer the anime.

that's not right.
my criterai effectively gives weight to sounds. I was saying that chara design are better in the manga, but it's because of the sound that I prefer animes.
and I haven't said the dialogue is not important. I genuinely think that the best part of OreGairu is the dialogue.
But I think the dialogue is well transcripted in the anime. It's the 1st time of my whole anime watching life, that I have ever thought "wow who wrote this script and the dialogue!!!!".
I dont think the dialogue is better in the manga. But again I only read 3 chapter so.. I'm fine with only the anime. If the ending is not enough I'll switch for sure to the manga. As I'm not confident I can get the LN and I'm not really fan of LN, I mean, I can't go with only reading.
my personal opinion only :)

May 8, 2013 3:22 PM

Dec 2012
I dislike reading LN, coz I have to wait very long for them to be translated. That's why, I never wanted to even start reading them, coz I don't know Korean, Chinese, and not even Japanese...

Now about manga and anime, I must say I liked better manga at the beggining of the whole story (the starting story in both manga and anime are quite similar, so they could be judged simultaneously by me). Although because of slow translation releases, I currently like anime better ("^_^").

Oh, and if you ask me why I like manga better, it's because there are details like particular scene's presented better for me to interpreted those to myself in manga !!!
MonsterguyMay 8, 2013 3:29 PM

May 9, 2013 12:39 AM

Apr 2012
ManteR said:
terribad said:
ManteR said:

that's not right.
my criterai effectively gives weight to sounds. I was saying that chara design are better in the manga, but it's because of the sound that I prefer animes.
and I haven't said the dialogue is not important. I genuinely think that the best part of OreGairu is the dialogue.
But I think the dialogue is well transcripted in the anime. It's the 1st time of my whole anime watching life, that I have ever thought "wow who wrote this script and the dialogue!!!!".
I dont think the dialogue is better in the manga. But again I only read 3 chapter so.. I'm fine with only the anime. If the ending is not enough I'll switch for sure to the manga. As I'm not confident I can get the LN and I'm not really fan of LN, I mean, I can't go with only reading.
my personal opinion only :)

My deduction is wrong as I expected? That's the reason I wrote it down in case I misunderstood you. It's bad but I was just comparing your choice of the anime to the LN rather than the manga. If I compare your post to the LN, I still think my criteria may stand if you read it.

I didn't mean to imply that you think the dialogue is unimportant. That's why I said your criteria "gives weight to", it's all relative so absolutes like "best" or "important" lose worth. I wouldn't say they're completely irrelevant though. Anyway you giving weight to sounds/sights more was the only reason why I thought the dialogue cuts won't bother you but...

As you mentioned, we disagree with the effect of the dialogue cuts. We could say "lets agree to disagree" but where's the fun or understanding in that? In light of that I ask you why you think it doesn't matter that the dialogue was cut. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth or equivalent exchange. It follows then that I should do the same.

The dialogue cuts glossed over some elements in the story. Hachiman's fish eyes, although confirmed but not validated in episode 5, appear just when he's lost in thought. As I said in the first post, Hachiman almost outright thought that his witty remarks and monologues are, partly at least, a form of escapism. People would have guessed but now we have fairly solid proof rather than speculation [unless you think he's lying to himself somehow]. Finally by the end Yukino/Hachimans first meeting, the difference in the LN is shown by the end, that is Hachiman was on the verge of tears. Hachiman's arguments are the most elaborate in the LN. Perhaps conversely, this makes them easier to understand and logically sound. I could go on but I'll stop for now.

I suppose that you think there was no change because the general message, albeit in broad strokes, is transferred well. I think because it's general it misses out on a lot of LN's commendable features. One thing is that Hachiman's behaviour can be completely predicted from the prologue and first chapter of the LN from what I've seen (spoilers/summaries up to volume 7). Although one has to really study it even as bad as word by word in some cases. As an example, there have been a number of times Hachiman elaborates on a principle and I thought "so that's what he meant in his first essay". As an aside, what allows my analysis to work is that he's very resistant to change so the work you put in now will probably still apply at volume 7.
May 9, 2013 12:56 AM

Apr 2012
Monsterguy said:
I dislike reading LN, coz I have to wait very long for them to be translated. That's why, I never wanted to even start reading them, coz I don't know Korean, Chinese, and not even Japanese...

Now about manga and anime, I must say I liked better manga at the beggining of the whole story (the starting story in both manga and anime are quite similar, so they could be judged simultaneously by me). Although because of slow translation releases, I currently like anime better ("^_^").

Oh, and if you ask me why I like manga better, it's because there are details like particular scene's presented better for me to interpreted those to myself in manga !!!

I can relate. I've waited for 3-4 months for LN and 3-4 weeks for the manga but for LN things are picking up. There are two new translators and an editor working on the project. Though Edsamac (first translator) the perfectionist that he is will be sorely missed. As for the manga, all I can say is maybe Yen Press will pick it up. I say can because I'm not sure how much what I heard is likely to be true.

So you're saying you prefer the manga because some particular scenes are up for interpretation? If so I've got some things to say but it would be a waste of energy assuming I'm wrong. I will wait for your reply.
terribadMay 9, 2013 1:03 AM
May 9, 2013 4:19 PM

Dec 2012
terribad said:

I can relate. I've waited for 3-4 months for LN and 3-4 weeks for the manga but for LN things are picking up. There are two new translators and an editor working on the project. Though Edsamac (first translator) the perfectionist that he is will be sorely missed. As for the manga, all I can say is maybe Yen Press will pick it up. I say can because I'm not sure how much what I heard is likely to be true.

So you're saying you prefer the manga because some particular scenes are up for interpretation? If so I've got some things to say but it would be a waste of energy assuming I'm wrong. I will wait for your reply.

Wow, thanks for the update... ;)

Well, yes I like anime and this is one of the best, according to my taste, but still everything is developing so fast in anime (in general) that I miss things over here, sometimes.

On the other hand, manga gives me much deeper feelings and better understanding of everything, what I love particularly.

Nonetheless, don't understand me wrong I always want(!) to see anime of a good series, especially if it's one among my favorites, but if it has manga with the same plot as well, to me that will always mean "much more", and give me ultimate hapiness...XD

May 10, 2013 2:13 AM

Apr 2012
Monsterguy said:
terribad said:

Wow, thanks for the update... ;)

Well, yes I like anime and this is one of the best, according to my taste, but still everything is developing so fast in anime (in general) that I miss things over here, sometimes.

On the other hand, manga gives me much deeper feelings and better understanding of everything, what I love particularly.

Nonetheless, don't understand me wrong I always want(!) to see anime of a good series, especially if it's one among my favorites, but if it has manga with the same plot as well, to me that will always mean "much more", and give me ultimate hapiness...XD

I would ask about what your taste is but I suppose it would be against the purpose of this thread. Unless we compared the LN/anime/manga with respect other LN/anime/manga and then compared that relative relationship between the three versions. For example the LN is number X in said LN ranking compared to the anime which is ranking Y in said anime ranking and I think A or B about this.

I can relate to your reason to preferring manga to an anime. Nonetheless, I put more weight on the understanding rather than feeling but I digress. However if an anime and manga have the same plot, I'm pretty certain that you know it's not always the case. For example the manga adaptation of the anime original series Blood +.

Can you elaborate on why if you see a good manga you want to see the anime adaptation? Personally I like the manga characters in motion and with sound and colour. However if I had to choose, I would likely still choose the manga. It's also interesting to see the decisions in production or just the differences small or big.

While we're on the topic, do you think that anime adaptations should follow the manga to the letter and panel? I think it depends. For example Full Metal Alchemist and Trigun had anime original endings but are highly praised. I read the mangaka of Trigun praised the ending saying that he couldn't have wrote anything better. I think most people are familiar with the bad original endings. On a more general level I'm fine with it provided there's a good reason.
May 11, 2013 4:59 AM

Dec 2012
terribad said:

Can you elaborate on why if you see a good manga you want to see the anime adaptation ?

This, ...

it's similar to your reasons, because I sometimes get fascinated by the colorful art, music (sound), and similar things (like characters in motion) from the anime.

Additionally if the story has great "plot development", which is well implented in anime, I feel internal satifiction, and judge it as a true masterpiece !!!

Still, I hate it the most, when production of anime ruines the show with a few "BAD" ending episodes which are NOT in the original art, so that they reach their quota (how many episodes they will create - written in contract) !!!

I prefer and respect it the most, if production of anime wants to do more episodes, but does not step away from original story (be it adoption of LN, manga or similar, like for example Bleach, Btooom!, ... ).

terribad said:

While we're on the topic, do you think that anime adaptations should follow the manga to the letter and panel?

I also agree with you and think similar to you here as well, because "I think it depends", why some things are sometimes better left as they are, but others are meant to be corrected if they turn out to be better (individual person's taste/opinion plays a "big" role here, in general for each story independently ) !!!

Sorry, but I can not go into details here, coz I haven't read or watched Full Metal Alchemist or Trigun at that matter, but I plan to at some point...XD

Jul 15, 2013 2:11 PM

Jan 2013
Anime > LN > Manga

The anime is the first Oregairu work I've seen and I immediately got interested in it after episode 1. Heck, I thought "This anime might be my favorite for this season!", which came true.

Normally, I prefer LNs for the sheer amount of detail they contain, contrary to their respective adaptions, which have to cut short on it due to the differences in medium and storytelling style. However, the Anime adapted the LN excellently. The anime made a perfect choice when picking the scenes and lines that were important and letting out those that weren't. That is something the Manga failed in, trying to use too much of the LN's material, using the more 'lame' jokes and more insignificant explanations and dialogues, thus dragging out the story progress and make it seem slow. Those things were doing just fine in the LN, but they simply didn't fit the manga. Of course, by cutting the material short, the Anime slightly changed a few things, for example Yukino's competetive nature that was never shown to the extent it was in LN or Manga. But I don't really mind that. In fact, I appreciate that particular point.
Jul 17, 2013 3:18 AM

Apr 2012
I read the manga first. After chapter 1, the manga, perhaps foolishly, became one of if not the top romance/slice of life, for me. Despite what my anime list suggests I watched and read a lot of anime and manga.

After watching the anime, I agree that the anime handled the scenes and line cuts well. The pacing seemed smooth among other things. The pacing also felt right in comparison to manga or even the light novel. Because I hardly wished for the story to be faster or slower.

I'm not certain about the pacing problems for manga.

I think the anime changed much of characterization. For example, Shizuka's character seem to be more dogmatic and unreasonable in the anime adaptation. Or Yukino's tongue is even sharper in the light novel at the beginning. Or Hachiman is even more logical in the light novel. He presents a good case before calling Yui a bitch initially.
Oct 30, 2013 3:56 AM
Aug 2013
I have watched both animation and comics but I bet the light novel is much better. Sadly, I can't read Japanese without a dictionary and that said novel requires me to look every single words. Well, grammar is the only thing I know atm :D.
Jul 3, 2015 4:15 AM
Jun 2015
JinMuRiEl said:
Manga>LN>Anime

LN - deep. (so obvious)

will there be season 3?
and should i read the manga even though ive watched it?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Looking for similar anime but not the ones which are most recommended on its page?

C2H2F2O2 - Apr 25, 2014

5 by ag_ »»
Oct 7, 2020 5:54 AM

» A bunch of questions.....

AkariLila - Jul 15, 2016

1 by Saxonkeel »»
Jul 20, 2016 10:29 AM

» Wallpaper, Screenshots, images from manga and anime or even LN, all gathered in this one Thread

Monsterguy - May 8, 2013

4 by theflogat »»
Apr 9, 2015 1:14 PM

» Anyone know when season 2 is coming out?

tanoshiibear - Sep 6, 2014

7 by theflogat »»
Apr 5, 2015 3:28 PM

» LN Spoilers/Summaries

terribad - May 6, 2013

1 by terribad »»
May 20, 2013 6:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.