Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (35) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2013 6:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, a strange song to open the series I guess.

Okay, the animation is also a bit strange and edgy. It felt like watching some from the 1990s. My hopes are a bit low now as I think the animation does not fit his character well imo.

Also, a somewhat part of the major plot is shown with strange voices in the mix. However, there's no action from it? Strangest ending I've seen in awhile.

Dat Nakamura:

Moderator edit:
It seems this thread has been getting a lot of attention. Most of them are negative. Please be civil. Personal attacks on other people in this thread and any blatant attempts to anger and provoke others are not tolerated.
LunaMay 2, 2013 2:12 AM
Apr 5, 2013 6:26 AM

Apr 2009
This never happened. There is no such thing as an Aku no Hana anime.

I wish the moderators would delete this joke already.
Apr 5, 2013 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
Ikr? The episode felt so out of space.
Apr 5, 2013 6:28 AM

Apr 2009
Stark700 said:
Ikr? The episode felt so out of space.

Exactly. Why is a bad Japanese live action drama on MAL? Someone fix this already.
Apr 5, 2013 6:30 AM

May 2009
Animation

Stark700 said:
Okay, the animation is [...] edgy.

Stop, please, not even here.
Apr 5, 2013 6:32 AM

Apr 2009
In case I hadn't already made myself clear, my thoughts on the matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeLxUVACQF0
Apr 5, 2013 6:36 AM

Jun 2011
This anime is so non-anime it's art.
I work in VNs. Sometimes, they have h-scenes and I go "waai~". I also like to not write at Oppai is Justice, a blog with great urls.
Apr 5, 2013 6:38 AM

Sep 2011
Okay, after looking at that picture Stark I shall perform to give my eyes surgery from stabbing them Q_Q.
Apr 5, 2013 6:39 AM

Jun 2011
If you guys think it's horrible in static, imagine it moving.

This is the problem with rotoscoping, one of the first animation techniques. Basically, you trace over something. In this 'anime,' the director actually filmed a live-action adaptation of it and then rotoscoped it. It's honestly one of the best arguments AGAINST rotoscoping.
I work in VNs. Sometimes, they have h-scenes and I go "waai~". I also like to not write at Oppai is Justice, a blog with great urls.
Apr 5, 2013 6:41 AM

Apr 2009
But really... why did they do this? It's not fair, I was really looking forward to it as well.
Apr 5, 2013 6:42 AM

May 2009
Kill it with fire
Apr 5, 2013 6:43 AM

Sep 2011
bastek66 said:
Kill it with fire

Yep, dropped. I can't stand that. Thank you for shining such hope onto us.
Apr 5, 2013 6:54 AM
Jun 2009
I was really hoping that they would only use rotoscope for a few select scenes, but I probably shouldn't be surprised given the secretive nature of the trailers.
Apr 5, 2013 6:59 AM
Nov 2009
I like the movement but it's a real shame about how the characters look. We're going into uncanny valley here, and not in a good way. At least it's visually unique compared to everything else this season, so I'll stick along for the ride.
Apr 5, 2013 7:55 AM

Dec 2012
Jesus christ how horrifying.
Apr 5, 2013 7:57 AM

Aug 2011
After two minutes into the episode, I fastforwarded through the whole thing. Couldn't handle the disparity between the art style of the manga and the anime. Dropping it now. I guess I'll just stick to the manga...
Apr 5, 2013 7:59 AM
Sep 2012
I'll just smile and look through the ceiling.
Apr 5, 2013 8:02 AM

Jan 2009
bastek66 said:
Kill it with fire

Apr 5, 2013 8:11 AM
Mar 2008
I just took a look at the raw.
Ugh...
Why?
Apr 5, 2013 8:18 AM
Sep 2011
Hmm, the visuals don't look that bad to me. It's not the typical anime look but if it helps to bring the story across then I won't complain. And from the looks of the manga the original character design doesn't seem like it strives to be attractive anyway.

EDIT: Wow, I was rather worried after reading the negative reception here, but after watching the episode itself I surprisingly LOVED it. This show oozes atmosphere and captivated me from start to finish, mainly thanks to the great sound direction which creates a wonderfully eerie mood, that felt both soothing yet unsettling and most importantly, opressive.
I especially liked the parts where the MC recites parts of the book the title of this show refers to and how surreal the environments got afterwards.

Everything feels so naturalistic, from the incredibly detailed and gorgeous background art to the character design. I appreciate the producers' efforts to make the characters more life-like, as they're not supposed to be especially attractive or pretty to look at, nor do they have squeaky anime-voices and instead normal body proportions, you know, like people you could meet at your street corner (or at least if you live in Japan).

The OP seemed oddly cheerful to me at first but the lyrics were so bizarre that I could let it slide, not to mention I actually liked the song itself. I do hope the OP gets changed to something more eventful.

The animation definitely wasn't as atrocious as vocal commenters made it out to be, though it definitely looked edgy and I guess I wasn't that thrown off by it since I'm probably more inclined to watch experimental animation than the average viewer. I even dare to say that this anime contains more actual animation than the average anime tv series thanks to the rotoscope animation and that the approach the producers took actually elevated the source material for me from what I've read so far. Overall this is a series I would have expected from Studio 4C° for lack of a better comparison instead of ZEXCS, since it actually tries to push the boundaries of anime convention and does something different. Only the following episodes will show whether it will be successful on this part.

Obviously this appoach won't appeal to everyone and the adaption will most likely remain a niche series at best unfortunately, but for me it's definitely a keeper.
EudaimoniaApr 5, 2013 11:32 PM
Apr 5, 2013 8:21 AM

Apr 2009
Oh fucking wow, this is really horrible.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 5, 2013 8:31 AM

Oct 2009
What...what were they thinking??
And i was really looking forward for a good adaptation, damn!
Apr 5, 2013 8:39 AM

Sep 2012
Well, I heard many western viewers of anime say they don't care about character design and in fact hate the unrealistic, often moe, artstyle and lament why Japanese anime cannot have more realistic character design? Now your wish is granted. The wonder and glory of rotoscope animation, courtesy of the demanding director Nagahama Hiroshi.
symbvApr 5, 2013 8:54 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 5, 2013 8:44 AM
Sep 2012
Rewatched it again to see if there is any good. Oh god I need to watch K-on or Hidamari or something. I can't sleep.
Apr 5, 2013 8:50 AM
Jul 2012
Was going to watch it,just look at the pics holy shit that was scary. Deleteing this. That's why maybe they hate this show
Apr 5, 2013 8:55 AM

Apr 2010
ROOOARRR said:
Hmm, the visuals don't look that bad to me. It's not the typical anime look but if it helps to bring the story across then I won't complain. And from the looks of the manga the original character design doesn't seem like it strives to be attractive anyway.

The horror when they try to animate this scene...

http://i.imgur.com/BpFumNM.jpg

The original manga art might not be the best at making attractive characters, but its still leagues better than this junk

Apr 5, 2013 8:56 AM
Oct 2012
I feel like I have been raped.
Apr 5, 2013 8:57 AM

Apr 2010
Boxxyfan said:
I feel like I have been raped.

You weren't...

http://i.minus.com/jbn0CPm8RvPYar.jpg

The characters were, though.

Apr 5, 2013 8:58 AM

Aug 2010
WTF?! I thought April 1st has passed already???
Apr 5, 2013 8:58 AM

Sep 2012
Now I can see why in the trailer PV we saw no character in it....

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 5, 2013 9:02 AM

May 2012
bastek66 said:
Kill it with fire

Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 5, 2013 9:02 AM

Dec 2012
symbv said:
Well, I heard many western viewers of anime say they don't care about character design and in fact hate the unrealistic, often moe, artstyle and lament why Japanese anime cannot have more realistic character design? Now your wish is granted. The wonder and glory of rotoscope animation, courtesy of the demanding director Nagahama Hiroshi.
But Japanese people are moe irl, this is not
Apr 5, 2013 9:03 AM

May 2012
symbv said:

but.....true that
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 5, 2013 9:04 AM

Apr 2009
I have moved past the anger stage and into the denial stage.

It's still April Fools, right?
Apr 5, 2013 9:04 AM

Nov 2009
Good lord ...
You can't be serious, I was looking foward to this adaptation. I guess I was wrong, now they gonna revolute the anime industry? with rotoscope animation?
Now we're going to see some old fags calling this real art and put on a perfect score - 10!!!!!!!!!
Apr 5, 2013 9:07 AM

Sep 2012
Monde11 said:
symbv said:
Well, those characters are done by real-life actors so they are real life Japanese people.... And surely not all Japanese are moe irl.. at least not those the director picked to act for this anime...

Apr 5, 2013 9:08 AM

Mar 2012
Pictures alone do not show how the true horror of this,

Here, have some gifs instead.

Apr 5, 2013 9:10 AM

Jul 2009
=.= I couldn't finish the whole episode, and i don't think of this as anime so I can't put it in my list.....
symbv said:

Well then they're not have taste ...o_o
yurkinApr 5, 2013 9:28 AM
Apr 5, 2013 9:13 AM

Jan 2010
Is this a late April Fools joke?

I'm hoping it is...
Ok™
Apr 5, 2013 9:15 AM

May 2012
symbv said:
Monde11 said:
symbv said:
Well, those characters are done by real-life actors so they are real life Japanese people.... And surely not all Japanese are moe irl.. at least not those the director picked to act for this anime...

The director sure is talented in picking actors. I love it.

And doing rotoscope animation might be unique , but can you consider it to be better than the usual animation ?

No, being unique doesn't mean that it will be good. Since the fuck when the majority demands for realistic character designs, what they usually want is better storyline,less cheesey crap,less extreme fanservice,and less cliffhangers. You rarely hear people want ''real life character designs''. We all want the big eyes and beautiful coloured hair.

Just my opinion. I had to let it all out
Apr 5, 2013 9:16 AM

Dec 2010
WTF JUST HAPPENED
Apr 5, 2013 9:17 AM

Sep 2011
Well, I'm waiting for translation. Guess, whole rotoscopy ordeal will just add layer of depression onto that pile of melancholy. I'm kind of disappointed but not that much.
Apr 5, 2013 9:18 AM

Dec 2010
symbv said:
What is the point in watching Anime if you don't like unrealistic stuff and don't care about character design? Go watch some American TV show
Apr 5, 2013 9:22 AM

Oct 2009
Tommk said:
The director sure is talented in picking actors. I love it.

And doing rotoscope animation might be unique , but can you consider it to be better than the usual animation ?

No, being unique doesn't mean that it will be good. Since the fuck when the majority demands for realistic character designs, what they usually want is better storyline,less cheesey crap,less extreme fanservice,and less cliffhangers. You rarely hear people want ''real life character designs''. We all want the big eyes and beautiful coloured hair.

Just my opinion. I had to let it all out

I totally agree with what you've said.
And i don't think Aku no Hana would have any moe in it if it had normal animation.

Oh well, i guess i'll have to wait for a real Aku no Hana adaptation.
Apr 5, 2013 9:29 AM

Jan 2008
The successor of Inferno Cop has been born!
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Apr 5, 2013 9:29 AM

Apr 2009
I seriously hope this never gets subbed. It must be contained.
Apr 5, 2013 9:32 AM

Dec 2012
Amarrez said:
But I still want to watch and discuss it!
Apr 5, 2013 9:34 AM

May 2012
Amarrez said:

\
You wake up and find out that this episode is just a nightmare. Then you watched the real deal in normal animation.
Apr 5, 2013 9:35 AM

Sep 2011
Junchi said:
The successor of Inferno Cop has been born!
But inferno cop was intentionally bad animation, this was trying

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 5, 2013 9:36 AM
Oct 2011
comedy of da year trulyy epic so epiccc
epicc for the winnnnnn!!!!!!
lols xd this anniemay sogud man feelsgud.
Pages (35) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.