Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2013 12:06 PM

Sep 2010
Loved the first episode and those are some great mech designs.

The characters are great too I just hope it don't go downhill anytime soon and this will be my favorite anime of the season along with Valvrave and Urobutcher's mecha. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 4, 2013 12:15 PM

Aug 2009
I loved it, 5/5
More of this please!
Apr 4, 2013 12:18 PM

Jul 2012
lol so they can't decide on having overly large noses or virtually no noses at all on the characters.
Apr 4, 2013 12:29 PM

Feb 2013
Okay, after finishing the whole episode, I have to say that while it has some promising factors: animation, music, cgi. etc. The writing and plot is stale and boring. We have generic alien villains, generic military, generic special forces...its all looking like one big generic fest!

All the characters look and act like 50 cent versions of their Gundam counterparts. We even have our 35 cent Char clone who's commanding the main ship (at least he's seems interesting.)
The main team seems to be made up of cliches: the brainy one, the dumb girl, the emo one...sigh.
Even the MC is a boring photocopy of your worst Gundam leads. He's like a mix of Shinn and Uso.

Also, unlike other mecha shows, there is really nothing special about the main team, in fact they are totally incompetent and don't even have good teamwork. In a real war situation they would already have gotten themselves, each other, AND their charges killed. The ending was idiotic and forced, why in the heck would these 5 idiots be able to stop the enemy when the ENTIRE military force wasn't able to? And also, those people they were trying to save on the base, did any of them even appear to be in danger. They were simply strolling along as if this was just another day in the park. That's just lazy, animators!

The battles were okay, nothing special. I actually thought the main ship's crew more interesting than the 5 idiots (yes, I'm going to keep calling them that). I'll watch another episode or two, but this show is really close to being dropped. 2.5/10 for me.
Apr 4, 2013 12:30 PM

Sep 2011
I liked it, they did the character development from useless students to pretty much natural fighters a bit fast but overall I thought it has a good feel.
Apr 4, 2013 12:32 PM

Aug 2012
I enjoyed this first episode im hoping this turns into something good

Apr 4, 2013 12:41 PM
Aug 2011
Idk about this one. I just wanted to give this a shot but mecha is not my strong point.

I'll let it sink in for a couple of episodes more.
Apr 4, 2013 12:50 PM

Sep 2012
Will most likely drop this one, a very classic and average mecha serie so far. I like the soundtrack though, but it's not enough.
Apr 4, 2013 1:01 PM
Jan 2012
Hmmm. I'm not really impressed. I think I don't like mecha after all. ;p I never saw a mecha anime before, so I thought I'd try to follow this one, but it's kinda boring.
I'm not dropping it already though, gonna give it a chance for a few episodes, but if it stays like this, I'll definitely drop it.
Apr 4, 2013 1:03 PM

Aug 2009
Okay first episode. I like the art style.

The Mecha Design however...
This one makes me remember the hobby of Rika from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai...
Apr 4, 2013 1:09 PM

Oct 2012
First episode was mehh...Only thing bothering me is the character design. It's a bit...weird for me. :/

Apr 4, 2013 1:09 PM

Nov 2011
eminagnam said:
Seeing the title, I had expected something serious. But after watching the first three mins, I dropped the series. Mecha with a cheesy comedy is not my taste.

I was able to watch whole episode AND im gonna give this a 2nd chance! Im on kind mood today although i have feeling that im gonna drop this...
Apr 4, 2013 1:18 PM

Mar 2011
Hmm let me see. Nice action scenes (which isn't something I care much for). The characters have interesting personalities. The music is ok. I think that's all the good things I can say about this.

The characters are just cookie-cutter stereotypes without any kind of depth. There's no hint of what's going on, and no reason is given why we should care; even the characters have no clue what they want, except for the idiot who wants to be a hero.
The villains are Evil Aliens Hunting Inferior Species For Fun. The “mysterious” senior office is too deus ex machina — fair bet everything will go according to his plans until the end of the series when he'll get maybe one surprise at the climax.

Seriously, just stop. This is terrible.
Apr 4, 2013 1:25 PM

Mar 2011
I like this mecha show.
Art is same with Gundam Seed,mecha design is good, ost is decent and CGI on mechas was good.
Apr 4, 2013 1:29 PM

Aug 2011
The art's okay, not really my type, but it's okay. But the animation is pretty good. It's only been one episode so I won't really judge the story based on that. But it seems interesting. The music was pretty good too.
Apr 4, 2013 1:30 PM

Jun 2011
hmmm, the animation was awesome but the plot didnt pleased me
Apr 4, 2013 2:09 PM

Dec 2012
I just can't get into it, and what happened to them being bad at working together? I did enjoy watching the CG but the normal animation was so bad, it's easily noticeable at the beginning when a ship explodes, the people inside don't move at all and there's no detail whatsoever, I think Gargantia will probably be the best Mecha anime this season, this and Valvrave seem a lot like Guilty Crown mixed with Code Geass - in a bad way.
Apr 4, 2013 2:27 PM

May 2011
The sock puppet style mouth animation was too much for me.
AerilithApr 4, 2013 2:57 PM
Apr 4, 2013 2:44 PM

Nov 2011
There are some things that I don't absolutely love about it, but I still gave it a 5/5 because it left me excited for the rest of the show.

I already started getting over the character designs, which I knew going in would be something to get use to.

And yeah the fact that they sent to 5 worst pilots on such a dangerous mission with the fancy new mechs was a bit out there, but that's also the main point of the show. Hopefully they explain it, but I'm sure its just going to be the commander saw something special in them or something of the sort (that's how it usually goes right?). But again, I knew this going in.

But the mech designs and the animation is what got me. It doesn't look like its going to be the greatest anime ever, but I can't get over how flippin' awesome the battles are.
Apr 4, 2013 2:55 PM
Sep 2012
"I want to be a hero" -_- DROPPED.

I don't think this is for me, too cheesy and at the end when everyone was suprised I just face palmed.

I'll give it a couple more eps, but it's pretty meh at the moment.
Apr 4, 2013 2:56 PM

Dec 2009
I don't know why the shows I didn't plan to watch are always the better ones, but who cares. I don't say I loved it, but I liked it a lot, more than expected. The cast is very refreshing. No Kaji Yuki, no Kamiya Hiroshi, no overall very popular seiyuu beside few exceptions. The song at the end was very good too and the animation as well. The show is definetely promising, so I will stick with it until it either changes or through the end.

The preview was interesting, I'm in for that hottie at the very end \o/

xtremexx said:

That's exactly what I like about anime like that. RL has no heroes like this, unfortunately. Anime for me is too flee from reality into a better one and I think heroes are a big part of that. I find the idea of that very nice.
Would you have left those ppl to die? I bet.
IsalinaApr 4, 2013 3:00 PM
Apr 4, 2013 3:02 PM

Oct 2008
I actually really enjoyed it a lot. No, it isn't your generic mecha. It may feel like it because of the art style (most people will associate with Gundam Seed) But it feels like something that could turn into a refreshing series. I do see the slight problem with the art style though, it's not going to be for everyone. To the people griping about the characters, I guess they can't be happy? Not a single angsty or wimpy character in the main team and people still can't be happy.

Also to the people calling this a Gundam clone. Uhhh what? LOL Only thing remotely similar is the art style to Gundam Seed, and a Char clone?.... Char clones are known for their blonde hair and face masks. If anything the commander in this series is inspired by Gendo from Evangelion. Especially his appearance from 3.0

And one more thing: Those mechs are pure sex. I have seen bad CGI (Total Eclipse) and this anime isn't bad CGI.
AvakianApr 4, 2013 3:08 PM
Apr 4, 2013 3:04 PM

Feb 2011
Great first episode. I feel that I'm going to enjoy this a lot.

SquChan said:

xtremexx said:

That's exactly what I like about anime like that. RL has no heroes like this, unfortunately. Anime for me is too flee from reality into a better one and I think heroes are a big part of that. I find the idea of that very nice.
Would you have left those ppl to die? I bet.

I feel the exact same way. Heroes are awesome.
morshuwarriorApr 4, 2013 3:26 PM
Apr 4, 2013 3:06 PM

Feb 2011
I felt the urge to watch a mecha . Character design was pretty strange . Liked the ending song .

Haven't felt like this since Muv Luv last year . Cool .
Apr 4, 2013 3:12 PM

Nov 2011
ending was pretty intense...love the music
Hate Keeps me warm
Apr 4, 2013 3:31 PM

Mar 2010
First ep was pretty cool I guess. I hope it isn't going to turn into a bunch of useless fillers about school life like most other shit though.. Hope it stays on track for once
Apr 4, 2013 3:39 PM

Feb 2013
So far i'll give it an OK. I like the character design as it reminds me of Gundam seed (a lot). But it lacked in the informative category.
But i'm not going to be hasty. I mean, they will probably give an explanation to who the enemies were. And all other stuff, like that eye-covered man is and a bit more about who those five are.
But the fact that I didn't get a feeling of who of those five that was the main character until the later part was a bit strange (Don't know how to describe it).

Wonder if the main (I wannabe Hero) character is gonna be one of those naive character (most likely I would say).
I take time to watch anime. I don't know whether I'm allowed to, but I do it anyway.
Larry Wall

I'm totally addicted to Japanese anime and spend way, way, way too much time watching it.
Connor Jessup
Apr 4, 2013 3:51 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
lalomartins said:

That's the one problem I had with this episode o_O Definitely seemed like they won that battle too easily despite them being the "Fail Five."

My first reaction to the opening scene was that the directing of the battle was pretty intense. It was fast paced and engaging to watch. Then I looked at the characters and I thought, "this art looks familiar..." and then I found out that the character designs were done by the same person as Gundam Seed, which I had just finished watching earlier this week. GS is older, yet I like the character designs there more than here...mostly because of the noses :/ It was an interesting start, but I don't know, I don't really like aliens, they kind of remind me of Young Justice for some reason. The comedy was also not my cup of tea, but maybe it'll get better? Well at least the animation/directing is pretty nice.
Apr 4, 2013 4:04 PM

Oct 2008
just so so so sosoossoosos terrible
Apr 4, 2013 4:04 PM

Apr 2009
...why did they send the worst students(?) on the base to fight? The ones who don't work well together? Why not send the team that actually beat them in the training run? They looked as if they were pretty good.
Apr 4, 2013 4:41 PM

Sep 2012
Well this is decent, i guess, i had no good expectations for this but i enjoyed it, hope the next episodes will be more serious, the CGI in this one is sweet to watch, character designs are strange but i'm okay with this, the mechas are awesome, the action was good, but i just didn't understood how these noobs actually made the Alien(?) army flee. Well, let's see what it turns out.
Alcyone. Electra. Maia. Taygeta. Calaeno. Asterope. Merope.
By the blessing of the Seven Sisters,
I descend from four hundred lightyears in space!
I AM MR PLEIADES!!
Apr 4, 2013 4:52 PM

Nov 2012
Some of the opening comedy was a little cheesy and the character designs are different, but once they hit that battle at the end I was blown away. Those mobile suits they had were amazing in my opinion, and the fight itself was so fast paced. I kept rewinding it over and over to watch that battle.

Plus that song for the last part of the battle was really good as well I thought. Hopefully it will get better and better.
Apr 4, 2013 4:52 PM

Sep 2011
Not bad start,the character designs and art really remembers me of Gundam Seed(well same person) specially the faces.

The mecha battles were great! the 5 guys are not bad and there interactions are fun to watch specially liked Hitachi by not giving up to save the survivors(as cliche it is),well to soon to tell but first episode was not bad many unanswered questions but is still the first episode and its 2 cour so still a lot of time to know more about the plot.

Will continue to watch no doubt!
Apr 4, 2013 5:06 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
A desperate war of annihilation, and a group of misfits.

symbv said:
Not much of explanation about what they are fighting - we don't even know what the enemy is talking about....
I'd say they've come to take our women and drink our beer, but they didn't look like the type to drink beer.
Apr 4, 2013 5:14 PM

Mar 2012
Failed or sucked at practices doesn't mean that they will fail at the real thing for sure.. It's like they have a hidden potential, that's why the commander chose them IMHO..
Usually I never watch mecha though, guess gonna give this one a try and see it for another couple eps..
Keep moving forward
Apr 4, 2013 5:17 PM

Apr 2010
Good show good show. I think I might turn out to like this. Action is nice and so is the CG.

Brings me back to the good ol days of space combat anime.

Can't entirely see why people are giving this such a low rating right off the bat.

Apr 4, 2013 5:25 PM
Nov 2009
Damn, these are some pretty mixed reactions. I, for one, enjoyed it. I like all the characters, some really cool mecha designs and CGI that actually looks really good. There's still a lot about the plot that wasn't explained but the show has 24 episodes; I'm sure it will get to that. It's a shame its rating is so low on this site after just one.
Apr 4, 2013 5:36 PM

Feb 2012
They should seriously drop the sd on this one. This is a mecha show so they shouldn't give an image of complete buffoons. I mean why is this girl sounding like she is barking when she sees her new mecha and they're going to do an important mission? I'm not asking for anime to be super serious, but come on...
Apr 4, 2013 5:49 PM

Nov 2011
Amarrez said:
...why did they send the worst students(?) on the base to fight? The ones who don't work well together? Why not send the team that actually beat them in the training run? They looked as if they were pretty good.

They where only needed to distract the enemies, why would they risk better soldiers for such a job?

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Apr 4, 2013 5:53 PM

Mar 2009
I don't mind the comedy in the show, I don't really want to watch 45 year old war hero's having serious conversations about the morals of war. I for one like the sort of plain looking characters, I don't know why. It's probably due to the fact that I'm a Seed fanboy, but even if they don't stand out at all there isn't anything wrong with them either.

I do not like, however, the CGI that they use for the Mecha. I hate it when anime use CGI, it completely takes me out of the experiences because it contrasts way too much with the hand drawn animation.

Aside from that, it seemed to be very quickly paced. Hey you guys suck, okay you'll be cannon fodder in these new high tech machines (what?), oh look even though you guys suck it took you 1 minute of fighting to fend off the entire enemy fleet. Yea, okay, why not?

Overall I'd say its a 3/5 right now. Kind of bland characters (even though that doesn't annoy me at all), no idea whats going on (but it's only the first episode so that's okay), CGI make it seem meh.
But the great animation, aside from the CGI, and the music I like. I also enjoyed watching it, though I will admit that it wasn't "good" or "praiseworthy." We'll see how it progresses.
Apr 4, 2013 5:59 PM

Oct 2012
Seems like it getting alot of hate, but i think it was quite good. Like the ending of ep1 the intense music with some cool fighting, those parts really get to me in animes. The animation were quite weird though they went from being bad to being amazing from time to time. But will follow it!
Apr 4, 2013 6:01 PM

Jan 2012
An_anon said:
Damn, these are some pretty mixed reactions.

Apparently people don't like comedy and variety with their mecha.

I think the more series action-pack mecha that people are looking for it Valvrave (that comes out next week.
Apr 4, 2013 6:03 PM

Jan 2013
Meh.
"What color do you want to be?" -Shiina Mashiro
Apr 4, 2013 6:12 PM

May 2012
I feel this show is easy to get in to and will apppeal to western audiences. Personally, I like this first episode quite well and will continue watching it.
Apr 4, 2013 6:22 PM

May 2012
i dont know, i stay neutral for now, gonna watch few more eps to see if it gets interesting..

Apr 4, 2013 6:28 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm, I don't like the character designs.
Apr 4, 2013 6:40 PM

Sep 2008
I don't know how to feel for this one.
It started with people screaming while dying and not a minute later it skipped to comedy and silliness. I didn't like that. You can't start a show as something dark and gritty, people were screaming while being blown up for crying out loud, only to change it into comedy with no time skip whatsoever. You just can't.

I liked the animation and I loved soundtrack, but as far as the show goes, it was average to below average. I'll keep watching, if for nothing than for soundtrack.
Apr 4, 2013 6:45 PM

Feb 2012
kaykenner54 said:
Apparently people don't like comedy and variety with their mecha.

More like people don't like bad transitions and amateurish direction.
Apr 4, 2013 6:49 PM

Feb 2013
Kirahito said:
I actually really enjoyed it a lot. No, it isn't your generic mecha. It may feel like it because of the art style (most people will associate with Gundam Seed) But it feels like something that could turn into a refreshing series. I do see the slight problem with the art style though, it's not going to be for everyone. To the people griping about the characters, I guess they can't be happy? Not a single angsty or wimpy character in the main team and people still can't be happy.

Also to the people calling this a Gundam clone. Uhhh what? LOL Only thing remotely similar is the art style to Gundam Seed, and a Char clone?.... Char clones are known for their blonde hair and face masks. If anything the commander in this series is inspired by Gendo from Evangelion. Especially his appearance from 3.0

And one more thing: Those mechs are pure sex. I have seen bad CGI (Total Eclipse) and this anime isn't bad CGI.

1) You're right, this isn't a Gundam clone, Gundam's too good for that. This is like a Gundam photocopy that didn't go through correctly. Any given Gundam series at least will give you an explanation as to why the inexperienced newbies are the ones with the fancy tech, new model ship, and taking on the enemy ships single-handedly. It's got the mechas and started off with a good space epic tone, and then somehow degraded into a generic mess.

2) Do you know anything about Char clones? They do not ALL have to be blond and have full masks. Gundam itself has had at least 4 Char clones that aren't blond and at least 2 that only use sunglasses (and that's not including Char HIMSELF). The commander here has the potential to be a Char clone, though not a very good one.

And when you say "angsty" do you really mean that the characters actually have some DEPTH? So far, there's nothing really interesting about the characters of the 5 idiots other than that they're cliched stereotypes.
Apr 4, 2013 6:49 PM

Jan 2008
I would have liked this more if the characters didn't feel so wishy-washy , and it's like they devolved from Gundam Seed's character designs. That one guy looked like he had a potato for a nose on his face.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

121 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 18, 2023 5:41 PM

Poll: » Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2013

33 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 18, 2023 5:02 PM

Poll: » Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

30 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 18, 2023 4:20 PM

Poll: » Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2013

33 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 18, 2023 3:41 PM

Poll: » Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2013

59 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 18, 2023 3:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.