Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Jan 5, 2015 12:04 AM

Aug 2013
Hmmm Idk how I feel about this show...

It wasn't bad, but I felt like there were a lot of things that were lacking. Especially since I'm watching this almost approximately 2 years after the original air date, and there is still no second season announcement.

The story was good, and the concept was interesting, but there was not a lot of screen time for the 2 main characters.

The way this went, one character was doing stuff, while the other one was away on an equally important mission, yet when they reappear (after being gone for a long ass time) we just get a vague overview of what they did. Did not like that.

Also, they were practically married, yet hardly had any screen time together. And the time they did have together was hardly productive at all. The relationship between Maou and Yuusha had hardly any substantial progress. For fucks sake, the only real character who got growth was the serf-turned-maid. AND she got more screen time than the MCs most of the time.

Maybe it's just me, but with the romance tag I expected some real romance, and that aspect seemed incredibly neglected.

I also don't like the forced harem they threw in. I didn't care for female knight as a character, and I don't like the fact that she forced her way into their relationship. Even though MULTIPLE times she was like "oh I don't care if he doesn't touch me...oh I don't want to get in the way of you two". Yet immediately after turned around and tried to woo him.

Also didn't care for the ending. So many major plot pieces left unanswered. It's like this was begging for a season 2 the second it ended. Yet here I am 2 years later without even an announcement.
- the mage girl got hardly any screen time.
- They introduced guns and liberalism
- the church was going to start a third holy war while working with the azure demons
- a dual currency system was starting but never fleshed out by the end of the show
- Maou was going to set up a 4 demon meeting that we never saw happen

Like I said before, I enjoyed the show. And it was telling a really enthralling story, but the lack of MC growth and the open ending made me feel like this was incomplete on a lot of levels.

2 years isn't too long.... season 2?? *fingers crossed*
Jan 5, 2015 12:09 AM

Aug 2013
Skipchmosha said:
dropped on 3 episode

Then why the fuck did you comment on the last episode's discussion thread?
To feel fucking cool and important?
Jan 21, 2015 6:48 PM

Jul 2012
Could be better overall. Not sure how to score as it as I lost interest after the speech episode. >_>

Here's a few things I didn't like about this series:
Love triangle between female knight, maou and yuusha. Was this really necessary?
Maou's fanservice. Was this really necessary?
I also felt like I was being spoonfed information as if this was written for teenagers.

Also, the Merchant (voiced by Kamiyan) and King (voiced by Hirarin) were a million times more interesting than our MCs. That says a bit.
Jan 26, 2015 4:05 PM

Jun 2014
Is this the same author as Spice and Wolf or just same studio and director?

Jan 30, 2015 10:25 AM

Sep 2014
Ruined potential, honestly. Just a worse Spice and Wolf rip off. The romance in here is just horrible. This guy is a hero? And he's too much of a puss to make a move on her even though the story is like 2 years long? WTF
Feb 6, 2015 10:03 PM

Jul 2014
There were lots of moments where I was pretty bored and/or confused but that's just me watching anime while exhausted :P

It's not bad but it's just not great either, it was pretty average at best. 7/10 from me.
Feb 17, 2015 9:26 PM
Jan 2015
KevinRammstein said:
For me, it was quite a letdown. I had some hope that it would be similar to Spice and Wolf, just because of the similar setting and the same Seiyuu for the main two characters and I even liked the first few episodes very much.
But it was just...boring to watch for me. I'm not saying it was bad. It had a lot of enjoyable moments, just not that many.
Because that's how my rating system works, this is a 6/10 for me. If it would have been any worse, I wouldn't have finished it. It was just enough to enjoy watching a bit I guess.

EDIT: Also, if MAL finally would mark this Anime as finished, I could also do so in my list...why does it say it is airing until tomorrow...?
I thought it was going to be similar to Spice and Wolf too after seeing the first few episodes :/
Apple, apple, apple. *nom*
Mar 7, 2015 10:46 PM

Mar 2012
A bit rushed, quick end to what could have been an otherwise epic showdown between the hero and the possessed Demon King....otherwise it was a decent show.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Mar 26, 2015 12:06 PM

Nov 2009
Its a pity this is only a 1 cour show, I really enjoyed it and it was great watching the new ideas founded by the Demon King flourish but it really started to feel like they were cramming a lot in these last few episodes and especially the finale.

8/10
Apr 26, 2015 1:28 AM
Aug 2014
I liked the first episode, and the show had so much potential, but they just had to rush it =/ . Well 3/5 of the LN's are translated and the translator still seems active so I guess I will give it a read.
Apr 26, 2015 3:29 PM

Jun 2007
rodac said:

Anyway, now that they have discovered Liberalism, doesn't that mean they get a free technology?

I love you for that. Seriously. I would hug you if I could. When she said liberalism its Civ icon immediately popped into my head: "Yes! Free technology!".
May 31, 2015 6:28 PM
Sep 2014
What an amazing anime. I was searching for some good political anime and it was never to be found because of people who dont know how to recommend anime. They connect this show with other anime just because it has "hero" and "demon lord" in it, but the fact that other one is just harem comedy with no plot doesnt matter. I would give it pure 10 if they didint finish it like this.
Jul 29, 2015 3:23 PM
Jul 2015
The finale was okay, but this show failed to reach the potential that it had.

The romance was dead after ep 2.

The rivalry over the hero was unnecessary.

Support characters didn't stand out. (except for the maid sisters)

This show had potential to be great with the plot and overall story, but only turned out to be average.
Aug 4, 2015 7:08 AM
Nov 2010
This was quite the jewel anime I've missed watching. It was a good adaptation to this interesting story. I'll return to reading it again, since, looking at its sales, I believe the chances of this getting a second season are low.
Sep 13, 2015 2:15 PM

Sep 2013
He never did kissed her in the mouth...
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Oct 28, 2015 7:42 PM
Apr 2015
I know why this Anime is not action based..
Because it'll be totally boring..
Yuusha is total OP and BA.
He can fly, fucking teleport, healing people, super strength, and Kamehameha blowing mountain,etc..
It'll be one sided fight everytime..
Nov 3, 2015 8:45 AM
May 2015
This anime is good, but so much low ranked on MAL. For those who are expecting romance will be disappointed but economics students will be very happy.
Nov 7, 2015 7:44 PM

Mar 2015
Solid 9/10. Finale was something I had predicted, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. I love how they built up this entire world so intricately, and I really hope one day there'll be a second season. Also, I noticed the characters aren't given names - something I appreciated as it highlights the fact that each character fulfils a role only they can play in the story, and they would all contribute to the end result.

This could have been a 10 if there was a sequel explaining more about the world (eg. the magician that showed up in the end and her seemingly split-personality, Maou, the Church, etc), but with 12 episodes to work with, they've done a fantastic job introducing me to this franchise. Oh, and gotta love how Hero is so OP and yet he doesn't actually get to fight throughout the entire series. It really does go to show that fantasy genre =/= violent magical battles. Well done MMY, this has been quite the ride :)
Mar 9, 2016 6:38 AM

Aug 2015
well, even tho it was silly and somewhat chaotc, I really enjoyed the series.
May 29, 2016 12:16 PM
Dec 2015
It's really sad... this series had potential but the amount of rushing that they did, destroyed all of it but oh well. It was still an enjoyable watch just that I felt that all the potential was wasted. A better fleshed out story would give us a much fuller picture with all the politics, the balance of power, the economics and even the romance between different races..
Aug 23, 2016 12:06 PM

Oct 2008
It's been a while since I've seen a series spread itself so thin,like literally this could have easily been a +50 episodes series without any sort of problems.This can a be a great "how not to write a story" guide for upcoming screenwriters.

Instead we get this scrambled mishmash of dumb comedy/fan service,half baked romance,macroeconomics,theocracy,feudalism,medieval warfare,magic,demons,D&D elements...

And while you could commend all of this ambition and all the nuances it tried to touch upon,but as a whole it just failed spectacularly.
Dec 1, 2016 12:03 PM

Apr 2013
I really loved the fantasy setting in this one, Maou was also an interesting charcter. Didn't like the environment art too much, looked kinda lazy. Also it was a bit boring at times, but I still enjoyed it. 7/10
Jan 14, 2017 4:17 PM

Sep 2015
Kind of a mediocre ending. I liked a lot of the build up, but the speech to the Demon people and the lame romance stuff at the end soured it for me. I also thought the mostly set up for a future season that hasn't happened, scene with the shadowy church dudes was really stupid. As is introducing guns to a medieval fantasy setting. Never a good call. Still while this show underwhelmed me, it had some really great scenes and ideas under it's tepid fantasy romance surface. The "I am a human" speech will always be incredible. Definitely thought provoking if far from perfect. I give it like an 8/10 and I think that might be a little generous.
Jul 13, 2017 9:47 AM

Aug 2014
lmao what

did anything even conclude im like..lost
Xtina is my mother!
Nov 23, 2017 4:59 PM

Jan 2015
rodac said:
eminagnam said:
Good finale. Especially the ending with the powerful song was very impressive. And lol @ Maou vs Knight. Wonder which will win his heart. Also, I wonder how the war will go. It felt like there'd be season 2.

Why not both? I think it's already been indicated that they are willing to share. (polyamorous pagan proclivities on display here)

It looks like a season two, particularly with the revelation that the whole war is being orchestrated to keep the church in total control of most of the human world. (Although giving the blue demons a large foothold in the human world in exchange for their services probably ranks up with the U.S. arming the Taliban to drive the Soviets out of Afghanistan as one of the great strategic blunders of all time.)

I think this show has been an 8/10 largely due to the underlying concept and the parallels to human technological and social "progress". The main criticism I would levy is that at times they seem to assume a detailed knowledge of the source material so we get quick cuts between major scenes or small time skips from one high point in the action to another without any explanation of what has happened in between. You are left wondering where did this character come from and why are they suddenly playing such a major role, didn't they just appear for a few seconds in a previous episode?

Anyway, now that they have discovered Liberalism, doesn't that mean they get a free technology?

The thing with the female knight was terribly forced and felt really awkard. All that cliche 'we will kiss, but something always interrupt' moments, and then a second love interest made this feel really cringy and awkard to watch. Shouldve stayed a 1-1 romance..
Apr 23, 2018 5:10 AM

Mar 2014
What ?? That's it ?? This is the end ??? Is it me or is it incomplete ??? What about the War ??? If I knew the ending turn out like this, I wouldn't even bother watching it....it was good honestly yes but what kind of shit ending is this ???
Apr 27, 2018 3:19 PM

Jul 2015
Pretty good, but I was kinda upset to see that Maou and Yuusha's relationship didn't really go anywhere. In terms of the actual story though, by itself, it's a decent ending. But if there were a second season, then it did a pretty good job in paving the way for one, but after 5 years, I don't think we'll be seeing a second season.. oh well. The 'economics' aspect of it was pretty interesting, especially after the fact that I just finished the course lmfao what a coincidence. Overall, 7/10 for me.

caught in the wonder
Apr 29, 2018 4:57 AM

Aug 2016
I finally overcome this and wrap this. Show with one or two good battles about bunch of hippies trying to make world better place with cheat codes for bonus technology. In the end both sides will co-op with demons and have war with each other, hurray for multiculturalism, but central nations stealing gun technology will even the odds and bring next century war and Hero will potentially almost certainly have threeway at some point.
I love good endings.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2018 7:23 AM

Mar 2016
This series had a chance to be pretty good and engaging if it had any sort of focus. Having the cute Demon King go to sleep for like 5 episodes makes no sense in a 12 ep show. They tried to fit too much in and even with the intriguing setting and atmosphere, it's hard to care about this obviously abridged story. Characters were decent when we saw them, so why not actually focus on them?

Narrow the focus and tell a simpler story, and this could have been better. Conceptually interesting, but simplistic. Perhaps that's the fault of the source material or just another victim to the way the series was planned.

Still love the backgrounds.
Feb 15, 2019 4:51 AM

Aug 2017
Overall boring anime but I give 5/10 because I like the harem ending. Was not expecting that, I thought blonde knight might perish. Harem endings always best.

Hero is a wimp and should have made moves on both the girls.
Apr 4, 2019 2:45 PM
Mar 2018
This last episode was muddles in open ends. Sure they "fight" and he brings her back through affection, I guess, but nothing else was settled. They may have needed another season to make things right, but as it is there are mayn open ends left open. Like, what was with the blue meanies and what was that magic fountain the mage was in? And who betrayed who? This was very confusing at the end. And why did they just stop at smallpox and rifles? Why not make some steam, find oil or split the atoms? Or make those shiny razorblade-swords like in Attack on Titan? And why we are at it, is someone else having the feeling that Gate ripped some ideas off this anime?
Aug 14, 2019 7:47 PM
Aug 2019
So it’s been a good, I dunno, six years since this post was made and probably longer since the Anime came out. I’ve seen a lot of confused commentators asking why there was no season two(As it was perfectly lined up for a new season) and tbh I’d like to know as well, is anyone aware of some place I can go to learn more about it?

Slight Edit; After some heavy searching around the internet, I found an article stating that it believes the show will make a season two, however it may be released in the distant future (Estimated around 2022)
KarthrokAug 14, 2019 8:16 PM
Sep 24, 2019 7:33 PM
Mar 2018
I could have done without the knight demon king scene. Either way, the series is seriously underrated.
Jan 17, 2020 5:44 AM
Feb 2018
I know it a long shot but I want a dub and second season
Sep 23, 2020 10:34 AM

Jul 2013
The strength of this show is in its dialogue. It probably has the best one where no lines are wasted to bloat the script.
Jan 31, 2021 1:14 AM
Jan 2021
Hoping for another season. If ever anyone in this already know about this manga chapter or light novel, please leave a comment below. Because i can't find any source about this great anime. I thank you for that.
Jan 31, 2021 1:15 AM
Jan 2021
Hoping for another season. If ever anyone in this already know about this manga chapter or light novel, please leave a comment below. Because i can't find any source about this great anime. I thank you for that.
Apr 20, 2021 7:42 PM

May 2016
wtf was that. it just blew right through everything at light speed and didn't show lots of stuff that happened.
Aug 21, 2021 4:17 PM

Mar 2020
Lackluster at it's finest.

Man, I wish the OP wasn't so good so that i won't remember this show.
Subscribe to my Youtube : Rosvl Studio

I post Skits, Fingerstyle about Anime, F1 and many more :)

Link In My Profile!!
Dec 29, 2021 3:00 PM
Dec 2021
good. greninjagreninja
Jan 3, 2022 3:48 PM
May 2020
Lots of things left unanswered as if it was leading up to a second season. Still a very nice anime
May 13, 2023 12:36 AM
Apr 2023
half cooked ending.. it need s2
Nov 6, 2023 11:25 PM

Jan 2019
I liked the show, and I don't understand why there is no sequel
Jan 9, 4:26 PM
Jan 2024
Wasted potential of an anime
Mar 2, 6:23 PM

Dec 2022
Something about this anime felt particularly hurried, or frenetic. When you're working with a plot that prioritises narrative over action, that may not be the best writing approach.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

symbv - Mar 1, 2013

211 by MeguriRapture »»
Mar 6, 12:04 AM

» End Credits Visual Illustration

AsteriskWarrior1 - Dec 30, 2023

0 by AsteriskWarrior1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:11 PM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2013

92 by DOMBAS2001 »»
Dec 30, 2023 10:46 AM

Poll: » Do you think that anime season 2nd will be available in future?

SametTakao - Nov 6, 2023

9 by Rudericky »»
Dec 3, 2023 2:55 PM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

464 by lorwne »»
Oct 31, 2023 2:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.