Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Jan 12, 2015 2:31 PM
Apr 2014
This episode represents well the show. It had quite a good potential, but it mostly went wasted throughout the story. The comedy is fine and enjoyable, but the drama, while it had a solid basis, was handled in a really bad way. Especially her situation with her mother; like the fact she was crying when she left would be enough to forget about all the bad times MC had to go through...
Moritani was the same: if she was supposed to become the comic relief and a reliable friend, what was the point in making her so dislikeable at the beginning? It's like she had a completely opposite personality after the first five episodes.
Overall good comedy and bad drama: 6/10
Jan 19, 2015 12:16 PM
Aug 2014
Been awhile since I saw an anime that tugs at the heartstrings while making you laugh. 9/10 for me.
Feb 18, 2015 4:39 PM

Jan 2014
It had a strong start, then it got meh in the middle, but the last episode was great. I give this a 7/10. Made me laugh alot and it was cute :)
Feb 25, 2015 8:36 AM

Sep 2014
I absolutely despise the fact she forgave her poor worthless trashy excuse for a mother in the end, and she did it so easly lol. I wanted to see that whore suffer, but i guess I came to a wrong place...

4/10.
Feb 25, 2015 9:18 AM

Mar 2008
08/10
Mar 25, 2015 11:27 AM

May 2008
They balanced the drama and comedy pretty well. Only the last arc was a little too obvious and it dragged out a while until the suspect revealed her identity which most of us already know it miles away. The last episode was not that bad :3 Would really like to see more... 9/10
Mar 26, 2015 8:19 AM

Nov 2011
And they all lived happily ever after. With this sentence we can summarize the whole episode, the final putting in place all the problems present in the plot.
Narration quiet, calm rhythm from a background with a wistful, perhaps a bit too fast troubleshooting, oh well!
TV series that had a nice strong start by the impact, and then not being able to capitalize on the fruits, with a second part of the season a little bland, the final lifts a little history thanks to those who did not leave contentions open but close all accounts at once.
Too bad though that is short-lived, perhaps a longer season would give many more chances regarding its popularity.
My rating is 6.5 / 10!
Mar 28, 2015 6:13 PM
Mar 2015
this is my favorite episode because the ending with her mom made me tear up a little bit. what i really liked is when she finally confessed to manabe.
May 25, 2015 11:33 PM

Dec 2008
Well show got really predictable by the end...though the psychiatrist resolution of beating out your emotions on another with a pillow was funny. iIN the end the show was funny, and had one or two ups and downs. Still though....ERO GRANDPA!!! 7.5/10
Jun 11, 2015 6:31 AM
May 2014
It was an alright series. It had a great start but turned mediocre by the end, it got to the point where I was pushing myself to finish it. Call it wasted potential, I guess. 5/10.
Jun 11, 2015 8:12 PM

Aug 2012
Gonna be boring and agree with most people about this anime. Great first episode that promised a lot...and the rest of the series had its ups and downs...leaving it a mediocre experience. This is one of those shows that had great potential both with characters and plot, but ended up letting itself down a bit.

The mother-daughter conflict could have been the pillar of a very strong story, but instead it was sterile, emotionally impotent and never got any momentum. The team behind this anime just gave this open goal away and made the show very standard and generic for its genre. Either they lacked time or ambition...or both, i dont know.

Well worth watching however, and the incredibly good voice actor behind Haruka is the same one that did Ika-chan!
DeliciousKawaiiJun 11, 2015 8:26 PM
Jun 30, 2015 3:13 PM

Feb 2015
It was a lovely anime. I wish more would be like this one.
Oct 6, 2015 2:47 AM
Mar 2008
Yvese said:
The series started off strong and totally unexpected. I didn't let that mislead me though since I knew it wouldn't have the same tone for the rest of the series. My expectations remained low throughout so my enjoyment remained intact.

There were some things that bothered/annoyed me like Moritani being a bitch at the start then joining the gang, and Kotoura blaming herself repeatedly. The former I got over, but the latter annoyed me after the 2nd or 3rd time. Despite those 2 annoyances, it was good. Thus, 7/10.

Best part of this ep:

Giggity. If only! :D

ihateeveryone said:
I hated how little buildup there was to Kotoura and her mom's resolution and meet up. It's like she just came into the apartment and they made up after a little fight of feelings and a sleepover.

Strong start as everyone says, but then it turned to shit. Shame, this could've been really great. 4/10
Can't really blame them though. This was the last ep so they had to fit all they could. It would have been better if they didn't do that detective arc and instead focused on Kotoura reconciling with her mom.

I havn't read the manga though so I have no idea if this is how it's supposed to go.

They wouldn't have had to have such a forced, rushed reconciliation though if they cut out some of the fluff, which was like 80% of this anime.

Sigh, such a strong start .. disappointed.
Oct 17, 2015 3:42 PM

Mar 2010
the mom <3
Oct 24, 2015 5:13 AM
Sep 2015
ihateeveryone said:
I hated how little buildup there was to Kotoura and her mom's resolution and meet up. It's like she just came into the apartment and they made up after a little fight of feelings and a sleepover.

Strong start as everyone says, but then it turned to shit. Shame, this could've been really great. 4/10

Exacly! I dont understand how people liked the way it all worked out when her mother created a living hell for Kotoura to live in for years. Instead of a pillowfight she should had told her to fuck off and thrown her in out the garbage where she belongs.
Apr 26, 2016 9:01 AM

Mar 2014
Club disbanding .. Oh well .. yeah right ~ . This Research Society ~ .
And that's settles it . Very heartwarming for the mending ~ .
Perfect Episode ~ !!! Great overall ~ . It is too lighthearted for me after all <3 .

Well , I thought it would be a generic kind of lighthearted anime but I was spoiling it a little bit . I cannot say having drama as a twist would deliberately makes it appealing because the comedy was superior to it .
Anyway , They did mixed up nicely . It is definitely comical and underrated .
Cliched or not, if it makes you laugh , there is no reason not to like it ~ :D .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 16, 2016 8:30 AM
Jun 2016
Personaly this Anime rose to my top slot. I may not have seen many but i LOVED this one. The start was excellent, the end was excellent, true a bit rushed but still excellent. The middle is where it gets a bit generic thats true. But those who give it a bad rating because of it are missing something in my opinion. The detective arc yes that could of been improved majorly. But I feel as it was a necessity because the entire show is based on reversing the way Kotoura thinks. For example, in the beginning she thought she could never have friends, but she found out she could. The detective arc was just to prove to Kotoura, well so that she could prove to herself more rather, that she can help others with her ability. I feel as if the people who give below a 7 are either misinterpreting, skipping episodes, or just missing some information in general. I thought character development was pretty well rounded. While there was not much of it, each character had its shining moment and I feel I knew what I needed to know. Manabe, a young man who has a bit more lustful thoughts than most men, but is still a loving and caring boyfriend who would rather see his girlfriend be safe than do anything else. He is loyal yet not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a general pleasure to the series. That is an example of the character development. Small short, but all you need to know. In the end I feel as if this show is over criticized. Mainly because after reading some people who vote low 4/10 and lower, seem to not mention some of the funny or important stuff in middle episodes, so i feel as if they skipped when the dark stuff in the beginning episodes faded away. Anyways thats why I love this anime, because almost no thought is involved, no hidden backstory leaked out, just take it as it is comedy. And thats why I feel people hate it, because it strays from the back and is rather straightforward. In the end, I give a 10/10
Jun 22, 2016 2:33 AM
Jun 2016
Didn't liked it all. I came to know that it was last episode when i checked net. I was expecting more episode. How can it be last episode without any pervert thing.....
Jul 10, 2016 4:01 AM

Oct 2015
aww I cried so hard when Kotoura fell asleep next to her mother ;(
Oct 15, 2016 3:02 AM

Jun 2016
satisfying ending.
love every episode of this show.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Feb 13, 2017 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
Overall a decent show. It got surprisingly dark at times (seriously, what was with that last murder story arc???) and sometimes I got the feeling the showrunners didn't know what to do with it-- a lot of episodes felt a bit random, and the story structure felt all over the place.

And Moritani's 180 degree turn as a character, along with the fact that she sent people to beat up Manabe, was completed brushed off because Kotoura saw into her heart that she was in pain and ~*~forgiveness~*~ and whatever... Gimme a break. I also don't understand the logic of getting your crush beaten up when she could have just sent thugs to beat up Kotoura instead... But whatever, Moritani was a totally useless character after she was accepted by Kotoura and the others, she seriously added nothing to the show.

Ah well, I enjoyed the show for what it is, and I really like the interactions between Manabe and Kotoura. I find them to be a pretty non-typical and refreshing couple, with Manabe teasing her with thinking all his pervy thoughts, but at the same time, he's very open about his affection for her. I thought it was super sweet♥♥ Also like Muroto/Yuriko but too bad nothing really developed there.
Apr 13, 2017 6:33 AM

Oct 2013
Man, in my opinion that was a big example of how it is possible to make a great serie with few episodes. I loved it. In overall. Really.

It has a good idea, well planned plot, romance, humor, drama...

For me it only missed a kiss however the main ship was so consistent that wasn't a defeat you know? which could screw up the whole serie as some animes around.

I want a second season ;_;
Jun 3, 2017 5:12 AM
Mar 2017
Soo Cute! The SHIP has SAILD!!

Rate 8/10 cuz no kiss scene well not complaining :D
Jun 10, 2017 1:04 AM

May 2015
Glad Haruka said all of the things that she was keeping inside to her mother thus enabling her to move on with her life... thanks to her meeting Yoshihisa she made quite the progress in a short amount of time... I can imagine after this anime ende that she is going to be a happier person and this is not counting when she is finally able to have MC children. Lol!

Hope Yuriko feelings reach Daichi in the near future and Hiyori finds a guy that reciprocates her feelings...

Overall this was a good animation with lots of potential but sadly 12 episodes wasn’t enough to flesh out some of the characters, I wanted to see Manabe backstory, Haruka's grandfather & Daichi (pre-Yuriko)...
Aug 1, 2017 10:54 AM

Apr 2017
Kind of a shit ending to an otherwise good series. The mom should have been run over by a truck somewhere, she did not deserve any symphaty from Kotoura whatsoever.

Also, not even a kiss at the end? They focused too much on family drama and too little on the romance. Ecchi-comedy got too repetitive and was overused as well. Anyway, I like the series overall.

7/10 from me.
Aug 14, 2017 4:29 PM

Sep 2014
Really don't have much to say about this show, the first and last episode had a strong feeling but throughout the series it really didn't live up to it. Regarding the last episode, I really only liked the complicated relationship between Kotoura and her mother. Honestly, I'm happy that the mother finally had a decent talk with her only daughter, I just wished she would have actually apologized herself rather than Kotoura reading her mind. Because let's be honest if Kotoura didn't have the power to read minds she wouldn't know what really happened when her mother left. Either way I'm happy their on good terms.

The show overall really messed up on the whole drama and romcom tied to it. Can't really explain much on this note, It could have done better if they focused more on the seriousness than the comedic aspect of the show, either way I rated this anime 8/10 from the start ending to a 6/10. (^~^;)ゞ
Sep 2, 2017 6:59 AM
Jun 2014
Japan must spawn some of the most vile females on the planet. At least, anime watching females. What do anime teach you? If you're a princess (Japanese females in general) you can do no wrong. If you've massacred a whole city, you're forgiven. If you've bludgeoned people almost to death, you're forgiven. If you've abandoned your child and suddenly reappear, you're forgiven. If you bully and make lives of others miserable, the blame is shifted for laughs towards protagonist or simply forgiven.

This is one aspect of anime and japan in general that i'll never get used to. Not that i want to.
Nov 3, 2017 2:23 AM

May 2017
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally, this show is over.

Well, I would say that this finale was okay but wasn't anything too special. Ya, even the mom makes her usual grumpy appearance again. The talk between the two were kinda grumpy as well. Nice to see Kotoura-chan own her with that pillow :3 Lol @ Manabe and his perversions with attempted kiss. Oh God. Dem tears

I'll rate this series 5/10 for now.

5/10?

Are you one of those FEW who expects this show to be some kind of battle shounen or a supernatural seinen when it's clearly just a RomCom?
Nov 12, 2017 1:24 PM

Oct 2013
I really want to smack Kotoura's mom in the back of her head, why did she acted like a total bitch after she abandoned her own daughter tho. Well at least she came back and cleared up everything about her feelings towards her daughter. I wonder where Kotoura's dad is, he never showed up since the first episode

I'm so happy for Kotoura that she finally found people who care about her. Kinda feel bad about Moritani tho, but Kotoura and Manabe looks so cute together.

Overall score 7/10
Mar 1, 2018 7:26 AM

Mar 2016
Kotoura is cute. Not sure that the heavier elements were handled as well as the comedy. Was kind of hoping that that would just be a set up and that feeling would fade away as the show continued on, but the 'suffering' continued, and it didn't make sense for it to do so. Moritani was horrible, but the show was consistent in 'punishing' her humorously. The whole detective attack story did not seem necessary. At the very least they could have wrapped up the president's 'I'm a villain who wants to use your power' thing in a different way; not that they were consistent with this either. Liked the animation, designs and colors, and the characters weren't bad in any way. The writing in the beginning episodes felt rushed. Could have been better.

Also, people who like suffering should fuck off. Bottom of the barrel taste.
syncrogazerMar 1, 2018 7:41 AM
Dec 23, 2018 5:29 AM

Mar 2010
2/10, the comedy was repetitive and boring (yes, we get it, MC is a pervert) and the drama terribly forced. I only finished this out of sheer masochism.
Jan 26, 2019 8:12 AM

Sep 2010
I think this anime deserve more than 4 score because this anime not that bad.
the cemistry between romance, comedy and music are balance well.
the artwork also good.

score 7/10 for me.
there's no reason for me to hate this anime

after all what happened in my life, I finally realized.
God never say a thing. And God's silence has nothing to do with life or death.
Feb 18, 2019 3:05 PM
Jan 2017
THe first episode of theis anime is very sad and dark for kotoura .. the one that she know leave her one by one and even her mother too is the painfull ..
next i know this is not all kotoura fault, but im undertand how the feel of the people arround her who dont want to their secret can be know by other and kotoura say it without think and not at the right time,, its because her mother not told it so,,

but at overal season kotoura become happier girl after meet manabe and the other and all thie problem was clear at the last episode her mother back to her too even just a little change but she still regret about her weakness to leave kotoura alone,, yeah beagin from hurt and deadlist situatin and finish with happy ending,,
its quit interesting story
Feb 24, 2019 3:25 AM

Jan 2016
I think the show started to go down in quality after the summer vacation. Tho I honestly still enjoyed it.
7/10
May 12, 2019 1:57 AM
Apr 2017
I just can't. 8/10 for me.

The most I was emotional about was the mom part. Really pulled my heart strings.
Happy mother's day to all those moms out there.
Jun 3, 2019 9:58 AM

Aug 2013
Good music but the plot and drama is all over the place.
4/10
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Jul 31, 2019 9:38 AM

Jul 2014
The reunion between Haruka and her mother was rushed af.

The overused "haha manabe/grandpa is a pervert lol xd" moments were too unfunny and repetitive, and the drama wasn't well-written enough to make up for it.

My initial rating for this show was 4/10 for just being kind of boring, but episode 11 was so crappy that I lowered my rating. It was a perfectly good idea for a story arc, but they butchered it.

Very shallow and lazily-written anime. 3/10
D-ohnutsFeb 15, 2020 8:46 PM
Jan 12, 2020 9:44 PM

Aug 2017
Bad show, 3/10. Started well and got progressively worse.
May 23, 2020 6:00 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh yeah great confession at the end and fortunately the drama with Kotoura's mother is finished, very very enjoyable anime overall
Nov 28, 2020 7:12 AM
Apr 2020
Wow what a ride.. I had a plenty of laughs in some of the episodes. I thought this would've been a simple one but they added a little bit of twists in some of the eps that makes this anime decent. Plus I got the ending that I wanted. 9/10 overall rate for this. Had a great time watching this :)
Dec 11, 2020 4:48 PM
Apr 2016
Hated this show so much, its comedy made me retch and its serious moments were blatantly asinine. Making pedophilia jokes is NOT funny! And even that aside, every single joke is just that guy thinking of something perverted and then Kotoura seeing it and going "Ekk! Pervert!" Perhaps it would cater to some 14-year-old pubescent teenager, would be funny to them, but to me? Not a chance. The conversation with her mother at the end was a bit entertaining and satisfying although, therefore I'll give it a 2 rather than a 1.
May 5, 2021 11:03 PM
Dec 2020
I have reached the end I can say that it wasn’t too bad but it did fall short on somethings here and there. It did made feel a but emotional which not many shows manage to do. The police arc felt a bit awkward, especially how it ended. I am glad kotoura managed to see a glimpse of how her mother felt when they parted. 7/10 not bad. its alright to just watch and chill.
Jul 28, 2021 3:22 AM

Aug 2018
Well.. It seems I see quite some broken mothers lately in anime.. Who do some shit..
Overall, I have some thoughts about this anime.. That it was nice in the beginning.. As well as towards end.. But in the middle it had some strange slice of life at times, as well as Moritani's situation wasn't resolved properly, it felt, so group dynamics seemed weird during the middle of the anime.. Eventually Moritani found her place.. But I feel that it could really have happened some episodes earlier..
I liked initial drama about Kotoura.. As well as detective story was nice as well.. And during crime arc we also finally got Moritani coming, where she should be.. As well as more about Yuriko's feelings about all things..
So in the end, it really depends on what I put accent on this anime.. With time, I feel, it might even become more enjoyable anime in my memories, because it had things I liked, and eventually we arrived to slice of life which feels nice.. The middle of the anime, on the other hand, was quite strange, to my feel.. So it really depends on perspective, how to rate this anime for me personally.. In the end I like the characters.. And like journey in the beginning and later half.. I don't like comedy which was in the middle.. So that is what I think about this anime, I guess..
Dec 24, 2021 2:46 PM
Dec 2021
Good anime. Really liked daichi, hoped they would show his proper face more. I despised that filthy red hair girl
Sep 16, 2022 9:58 PM

Apr 2015
Somewhat good ending and fine show overall, I felt that the writing/directing suffered from confusion, there were too many aspects to handle
tragedy, comedy, romance and a bit slice of life among other things and couldn't handle them well or rather bring them into harmony
and the result was this rushed romance, unpolished tragedy and untimely comedy

Anyway I appreciate what the show tried to do in just 12 episode and it was again, fine
Dec 7, 2022 4:58 AM

Oct 2021
A satisfying ending I guess, still hate kotoura's mother tho. Manabu probably my favourite character in this anime next that chibi senpai, enjoy it would've given an 8 but there's no kiss so 7/10
Jun 5, 2023 3:16 PM

Sep 2018
Very weird tonal shifts and is overly dramatic and without subtlety. In saying that, the perverse humor I enjoyed (especially with it's unique portrayal through mind reading) and the characters are fun to watch.

The fact that it doesn't take itself so seriously for 80% of the show, really clashes badly with the all the bad shit that happened/happens to the MC.

Some real shitty writing with the Mother in the end, in no way is she redeemable in my books, acting like a bitch pretty much until the end lol.
Jul 11, 2023 3:25 AM
Oct 2018
underrated, very cute anime, good ending
Sep 13, 2023 2:55 PM

Dec 2009
Notes from 2014:

Dec 20, 2023 12:57 PM

Aug 2019
why did this fall apart so bad in the end? it was downhill after the attacker thing started. the mother is so fucking stupid if you were sorry and crying about how you were a bad mother and abandoned your daughter THEN WHY THE FUCK DID SHE KEEP BEING A MEAN ASSHOLE TO KOTOURA???
i assume its the anime's fault that their making up was rushed into a few minute long fight. during that i was chanting "HAKKAA SE!" ("beat her up!" in finnish) when kotoura was smacking her with the pillow. and when kotoura dodged her slap i couldnt hold back my laughter

at least the confession was nice.

this show was really funny, cute and occasionally very serious. but there were so many things about it that i also hated so ill have to rate it a 6. i might read the manga someday assuming it is better done.

seems like others here think the same. strong start but then it crumbled down
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

172 by _untitled »»
Apr 8, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2013

196 by SereniTeaHive »»
Mar 22, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jan 17, 2013

299 by _untitled »»
Mar 11, 9:08 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GotenSakurauchi - Jan 10, 2013

456 by _untitled »»
Mar 4, 8:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.