Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 1, 2013 7:54 AM
Oct 2010
ahmed_great2005 said:
lol the subbers were so ganbaranai.
XD So true.

Anyway, this anime was very weird, but entertaining nonetheless. 7/10.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Apr 1, 2013 8:40 AM

Feb 2008
Very weird series (but coming from Shaft that's not a surprise), but it improved with each episode and I ended really enjoying it.
8/10
Apr 1, 2013 10:33 AM
Aug 2011
Blah that was terrible. 4/10
I really only liked that episode where they record Sasami's day as she goes shopping and stuff.

I've enjoyed Shaft's "uniqueness" all across the board in past (from whatever i've seen) but this didn't do it for me.

I shouldn't compare shows like that but I only kept watching just because this came from them and I had some expectations.
Insta-drop had it been another studio.
Apr 1, 2013 10:58 AM

Mar 2011
Well, it was eccentric, that's for sure.
Apr 1, 2013 12:10 PM
Jan 2010
squall
whata fuck man

6 for the lesbians and edogawa
Apr 1, 2013 12:39 PM

Jul 2010
So does anyone have an idea what the plot is about in the end? I know SHAFT is eccentric and random at times but this is taking it a bit too far, half of the time I was so confused about the plot.

My main point of confusion I'd like to understaqnd is the fact that "Onii-chan" turned out to be Tsurugi's brother, so I am very curious as to how he's related to Sasami? And didn't her mother call him brother too, back when we saw Sasami's memories of when she was little? So uh, he's possibly Sasami's father [okay that's weird, especially with the imouto fetish going on but fine, they explained that incest is "normal" in their family to preserve the spiritual powers] but he can also be her ?? since he's Tsurugi's brother?
I am very confused and would be very thankful if someone could explain this.
Apr 1, 2013 1:15 PM

Dec 2009
Shaft did a wonderful with as usual. This time, however, the source material wasn't really all that strong.

Being more well-versed in Japanese mythology would definitely help, but even then it's simply a crazy twist on mythology.

5/10
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 1, 2013 2:18 PM

Jan 2011
neontaster said:
Loved every second of this show and everything in it. Just wish it could have been twice as long, and that I understood all the references to mythology. I'll miss this show a lot. Also wish we had more Edogawa. Loved that character. Also the VA cast did a terrific job.

9/10

This, plus I loved the OST and artwork in every episode. In every episode you could take a screen cap of the scenery and it would make a excellent desktop background.
[center]
Apr 1, 2013 2:25 PM

Feb 2011
Honestly, after episode 4, I totally lost my curiosity for this show. It just went downhill from that point.

Fortunately, the first 4 episodes are crazy awesome.

6/10
Apr 1, 2013 2:33 PM

May 2011
Welp, unlike most of the people who posted, I enjoyed it. Fun cast is usually what I anticipate, and they had a fun cast. I've been waiting to hear this catchy ED for a long time.
7/10
Apr 1, 2013 3:24 PM

Jan 2009
Raphow said:
j0x said:
Lyrisia said:
Sooo uuuh Sasami's brother was thar red-haired god??

it seems so lol

i gave this anime a 10/10 i love the trolling about japanese mythology mix with social matters plus awesome sakuga scenes like the battles

the red-haired one was actually susanoo cuz he mentioned he slayed yamato no orochi once , and thus amaterasu's (tsurugi-sensei) brother who is ruling the underworld, sasami's "brother" true identity is still unknown till the end ...

tsurugi called sasami's brother her brother too, and you say tsurugi/amaterasu has a brother named susano, does that mean tsurugi/amaterasu has 2 brothers?

EDIT:

so ye Amaterasu (Sun Goddess) has 2 brothers named Susano (Storm God) and Tsukoyomi (Moon God) according to Wikipedia

so its obvious Sasami's brother is Tsukoyomi
degApr 1, 2013 3:33 PM
Apr 1, 2013 3:53 PM

Mar 2011
I guess some people are just not prepared to love the chaos.
Apr 1, 2013 5:33 PM

Jan 2012
So many unanswered questions....
Apr 1, 2013 5:42 PM

Sep 2008
Took a while to pick up, but it did become pretty fun by the end. 7/10 for now; will possibly re-rate after a bit of reflection.
KatOct 22, 2013 2:28 AM
Apr 1, 2013 5:54 PM

Jan 2010
this show wasnt terrible, i dont think it deserves a 4/10 ok
im gonna give it a 6/10 because a couple episodes were enjoyable and the characters had great personalities that weren't generic anime personalities
last episode was poop and im sad they introduced a sexy male character at the episode why
he seemed really fun actually oh well
Apr 1, 2013 7:05 PM

Dec 2008
I think it could have turned out pretty decent if they hadn't made everything look silly and unimportant. The really serious scenes simply felt completely out of place because they came out of nowhere when everything was funny and non-sense. I actually got most of the mythological references, but damn, it didn't help at all. It doesn't matter if they were inspired by something cool if what they did to it was this atrociously stupid. The characters remained mostly (with the exception of some development from Kagami and a tiny bit from Edogawa in this episode) undeveloped, and everything led us to take nothing seriously.

So yeah, very terribly done regarding the story.
Apr 1, 2013 9:39 PM

Jul 2009
Wish I had more innate knowledge of Japanese mythology. 7.5/10
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Apr 1, 2013 10:20 PM

Dec 2009
Episodes 4-7 = Episode 10 > Episodes 11-12 > Episode 8-9 >>>>> First three episodes

SHAFT have done way better than this.
6/10
Apr 2, 2013 12:01 AM

Aug 2008
i kinda love all the randomness, so it's a solid 7 for me :D
Apr 2, 2013 2:22 AM

Nov 2009
This show was SHAFT WTFness done badly. I've given up watching a normal show from then long time ago but they didn't gave their ussual mistyque this time to this series.
Apr 2, 2013 3:56 AM

May 2010
It's weird till the end but I like it 9/10
Apr 2, 2013 4:51 AM
Feb 2012
SHAFT and Japanese mythology are the only things that kept me watching. 6/10
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 2, 2013 6:10 AM

Jun 2011
Well i abused the hell out wikipedia this episode i kept pausing and bringing up their wiki articles when the names kept popping up i have got some knowledge on Japanese mythology and the gods but not on the level this episode needed lol. Though with quick searches and reading through their wiki articles it made the episode alot more enjoyable and i beefed up on my knowledge at the same time.

For the series as a whole probably 7/10 it might of got an 8 but it was kind of weak in some parts of the series and the ending of the last episode was a bit rushed and just sort of ended without any real closure or real epilogue. There are also quite a few big questions left hanging (biggest being the brother) and i dont think this will get a 2nd season i also dont think the blu-rays / DVD's are selling that well if i remember right?
DragoonDeusApr 2, 2013 6:19 AM
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Apr 2, 2013 6:58 AM

Apr 2012
7/10
Apr 2, 2013 8:08 AM

Jul 2011
It could be either source material or low production value (i read somewhere that the producer don't expect it to sell well), this certainly one of the weaker Shaft anime imo. Many episodes were rushed, stuff not being explained properly, inconsistent animation, incomplete episode... Though the story itself still quite interesting and i really enjoyed the later episodes, music is also good and some of the fights are pretty awesome.

This show as a whole: Not very good, but not bad either, i have a feeling that this series could be done better if the producers put in more effort, it's a shame that with its poor sales, there're probably no more season after this,
Apr 2, 2013 12:04 PM
Aug 2011
LovingHate said:

Somehow this is directed at me. :(
Look on the bright side, at least I didn't give a 3, 2, or 1.
Apr 2, 2013 12:18 PM

Dec 2012
parfaited said:
LovingHate said:

okay, then this is directed at me, huh? :D

but i'm really jealous of people who could enjoy it or who gave this show six or more points. well, each to his own, right?
Apr 2, 2013 1:09 PM
Aug 2011
hiabara said:
parfaited said:
LovingHate said:

okay, then this is directed at me, huh? :D

but i'm really jealous of people who could enjoy it or who gave this show six or more points. well, each to his own, right?

Ahahah actually it wasn't directed at anyone.

There's a little corner over there called "people who gave this show less than a 5". Let's go sit there together. :x

I felt the same boredom you did and the fact that I personally think SHAFT madness and charm is done so much better in other series.
Enter: Arakawa, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, the entire -monogatari series.

I guess Madoka also but that actually has more structure than the others so I don't want to lump them together.
Apr 2, 2013 7:48 PM
Jun 2012
I enjoyed it. I didn't understand a lot of it, but I enjoyed it. lol

I'm just going to assume that this is what you would get if you decided to write a story while on acid.
Apr 2, 2013 8:37 PM
Jan 2011
Kopta said:
j0x said:
Raphow said:
j0x said:
Lyrisia said:

it seems so lol

i gave this anime a 10/10 i love the trolling about japanese mythology mix with social matters plus awesome sakuga scenes like the battles

the red-haired one was actually susanoo cuz he mentioned he slayed yamato no orochi once , and thus amaterasu's (tsurugi-sensei) brother who is ruling the underworld, sasami's "brother" true identity is still unknown till the end ...

tsurugi called sasami's brother her brother too, and you say tsurugi/amaterasu has a brother named susano, does that mean tsurugi/amaterasu has 2 brothers?

EDIT:

so ye Amaterasu (Sun Goddess) has 2 brothers named Susano (Storm God) and Tsukoyomi (Moon God) according to Wikipedia

wow thanks for that was really confused xD

also explains why nobody sees his face: "Simply by making eye contact with the victim, Itachi can use Tsukuyomi to transport them to an illusionary world of Itachi's creation... Because Itachi created this alternate reality, his control of it is absolute, including the flow of time itself. Limited only by his own imagination, he is able to torture an opponent in any way he desires..."

this whole season i was wondering why he was hiding his face. now i know. thank you
Apr 2, 2013 11:36 PM

Mar 2009
Final rating for Sasami-san:
a girl grew a penis/10

This anime was bizarre, even for Shaft.
Apr 3, 2013 10:26 AM

May 2010
DA Hell?

5/10
Apr 3, 2013 5:07 PM

Nov 2012
I feel really sorry for this anime. It had likeable characters (even thought they were generic) , good music, cool shots and very enjoyable humor. Story wasn't too good though.
It's biggest problem was probably that it was an unrewarding mix of chuunishit and slice of life. Because of that there was no fangroup that could really enjoy it.
But it's defnitely better than most other shows nowadays.
YellowlineApr 3, 2013 5:45 PM
Apr 3, 2013 11:04 PM
Aug 2011
Firstly, thank you [BasedKubo] , thanks for trolling some ****ers.
Now,
One of the best shows in a long time.
The first episode surely was trippy, but the explanations that followed were great. I loved all the mythological references and the plot was simple to understand, and sometimes let's one ponder.

I just thought about how Jou was in the same situation as Sasami and how the ending symbolised how similar they were but different as well.

Not the ending I hoped for, it could have been done much better, specifically, if it let the Gods reign supreme again.

8/10 - Some slow episodes and ending not 100% satisfactory.
Apr 4, 2013 12:51 AM

Jun 2012
I liked this show. Kudos to Asumi Kana. She did a wonderful job bringing Sasami's character to life and making her unique.

Sasami had so many layers to her personality: a desire to make friends, a strong sense of responsibility, a sense of laziness at times, a sense of innocence at other times, a bit of tsuntsun toward her perverted brother, a smidgeon of jealousy when she felt the same brother was being approached by girls.

It is absolutely amazing that Asumi Kana was able to weave those seemingly disharmonious personality traits, and others as well, into a believable and largely likeable character.

For people who don't understand the story, it is important to remember the story is about Sasami-san and her personal growth. Her name is in the title isn't it? The mythology is an ancillary, although important, aspect of the show. Just like the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is about Haruhi, this show is about Sasami and your mileage will vary depending on how much you like and relate to the titular character.

Overall, I endorse this anime. It's not a favorite but I definitely enjoyed it.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Apr 4, 2013 1:29 AM

Jun 2009
Tsurugi is Amaterasu...
Tsukuyomi is Tsukuyomi... (Amaterasu don't want to see his face, so he have to always hide it in the show)

So... I am 99% certain that the red hair guy is Susanoo.
Damn Susanoo is strong, as expected of the god who took down Yamata no Orochi...

This show makes a lot of reference to Shinto religion... Can't believe it took me 10 episodes before I realize that. (Forgot which episode, but the episode where Amaterasu talked to Sasami personally)
Tsurugi = Kusanagi no Tsurugi
Kagami = Yata no Kagami
Tama = Yasakani no Magatama

I don't think I would've been able to enjoy this show half as much if it weren't for my prior shinto knowledge.

Overall, I don't think the show blend together too well, it definitely have it's moments, but... No...

5/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2013 1:30 AM

Sep 2007
TheDrifter said:
Kopta said:
j0x said:
Raphow said:
j0x said:
Lyrisia said:

it seems so lol

EDIT:

also explains why nobody sees his face: "Simply by making eye contact with the victim, Itachi can use Tsukuyomi to transport them to an illusionary world of Itachi's creation... Because Itachi created this alternate reality, his control of it is absolute, including the flow of time itself. Limited only by his own imagination, he is able to torture an opponent in any way he desires..."

this whole season i was wondering why he was hiding his face. now i know. thank you

Please do not listen to that person. Its obvious they copy and pasted something from a Naruto website.

There is not a character in this show called Itachi. Itachi Uchiha is from Naruto. The creator of Naruto uses alot of things common in Japanese traditional Shintoism, including the term Tsukuyomi. Other terms shared between them is Izanagi, and Izanami. They are taken by the creator of Naruto and used as terms form the Uchiha's Sharingan. These name refer to the Sharingan's techniques, and have nothing to do with this series, as far as I can tell.

The red haired guy at the end of this episode is indeed Susanoo, the ruler of the land of the dead and Amaterasu's (Tsurugi's) brother. However, its only speculation as to if Kamiomi is her brother as well. He does she the same name as her brother, however this is also Sasami's sur name. Its a possibility that Tsurugi's brother Tsukuyomi had human offspring. This would also make sense as to why Tsurugi chose Sasami's family originally to hold on to her power, since it would mean they are essentially the offspring of a god.

As to why Kamiomi never shows his face....well, I am a bit stumped on that one.
Apr 4, 2013 1:45 AM

Jun 2009
Kopta said:

I FUCKING LOLED!

Tsukuyomi(Moon god) angered Amaterasu(Sun god) by killing Uke Mochi(Food god). Amaterasu got so angry she never want to see Tsukuyomi's face again. Which is why when the the sun(Amaterasu) is out, the moon(Tsukuyomi) is not. Vice versa.

Which is why we never see Tsukuyomi's face in the whole show.

Itachi huh...

LMAO!
AirStylesApr 4, 2013 1:57 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2013 5:12 AM

Jan 2012
Shaft: We have succeeded in mindf*cking everyone. Great job staff, now let's continue with Bakemonogatari in the summer.
Apr 4, 2013 6:16 AM

Aug 2012
Last few episodes redeemed the subpar beginning. Whew. This episode seems like a sequel hook...

Looking forward to watching the trollsubs some mores...
Apr 4, 2013 12:29 PM

Mar 2011
Yea, BasedKubo was utter win.
Apr 5, 2013 1:55 PM

Jan 2011
This show has been a very fascinating ride tbh, it feels really random but it isn't, all the things connect.
I'm doubting between 6/10 and 7/10...
Considering the uniqueness, the "interesting" way of presentation and direction... 7/10.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Apr 6, 2013 8:57 AM

Aug 2012
I didn't understand a lot, but I liked it.

7/10.
Apr 6, 2013 9:40 AM
May 2012
Those weird camera angle pauses made me feel like i'm watching Bakemonogatari.

Overall, good story, though i get confused sometimes. Real props to their creative EDs, at least they got it right this time.

7/10.
Den0sApr 6, 2013 9:47 AM
Apr 6, 2013 10:29 AM

Jun 2011
Well I enjoyed the show to some degree. But there were some points I don't get in this episode. Like what happened after tama got "eaten"?

Nonetheless 7/10
Apr 10, 2013 10:58 AM

Apr 2013
Title of the anime explains nothing. The whole show explains nothing about it. Gotta try harder Sasami-san.

Squall Leonhart would be proud.
Apr 10, 2013 6:48 PM

Feb 2010
What did I just watch for 12 episodes?

..I kinda liked it....sometimes.

5/10
Apr 12, 2013 5:21 AM

Nov 2010
have this feeling the japanese and those outside of japan with good knowledge of the mythology will understand it far better (and there we'll probably find who the red haired guy was defeating the 9 headed dragon)

same as we found out that sasami's brother is the moongod and so on...

for me it needs a second season (this felt like shaft pulled an other Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko haha) so for now i'm going to give it a 6 (will bump it upwords when a sequel gets out)
Apr 13, 2013 8:05 AM

Mar 2011
I Ganbaranai'd and gave 8 in the end.
Apr 14, 2013 10:17 AM
May 2012
borefest... 5/10
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2013

381 by Infrasoul »»
Jan 24, 8:13 PM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2013

68 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 9, 2023 11:31 PM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

symbv - Mar 14, 2013

79 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 8, 2023 10:41 PM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - Mar 7, 2013

49 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 5, 2023 1:19 AM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 28, 2013

50 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 4, 2023 12:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.