MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Any shounen/sports anime?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Any shounen/sports anime?

12-16-08, 8:54 AM

Anything is fine as long as its not mecha or about the future.( I liked fma and busou renkin though). It should be big (above 13 episodes atleast). Death note or Akagi like animes are good as well. (Monster had too dark an enviroment). If you got anything in mind please recommend it. In dire need of an anime.xD.

12-16-08, 12:04 PM

lol, you're watching 3 mainstreams (KHR, Naruto, Bleach) but you're not watching One Piece?
I think you should give it a try, best shonen anime/manga with epic drama/comedy/GARness/etc...

btw fma is neither future nor mecha oO

12-16-08, 12:19 PM

I'm not big into sports anime, but I loved Over Drive. Partially because I'm a cycling geek and the series is really SPOT ON with the details/explanations about bicycles, but also because there was a lot of excitement involved around the race (which takes up most of the series). Once the race started, I found it hard to not watch episodes one right after the other.

12-16-08, 12:24 PM

Something like Death Note..

Jigoku Shoujo: Whenever something bad happens and the terrible guys get away with it. The victim can seek revenge by visiting a special website that can only be accessed at midnight everyday. In exchange for their soul at the end of their life, the individual will be handed a straw doll which when unleashed, a group of saviors will be executing the villian in unthinkable horrifying ways. Justice served?

Something like Akagi..

Yakushiji Ryoko: The result of mad scientists and corrupted politicians would be monsters wrecking havoc at a city where everyday people can end up as victims. However, if Yakushiji Ryoko is around, things will be quite different. The anime can be summed up as female superintendent of Tokyo's MPD supernatural division's journey to beat up some of the corrupted "amakudari" (career bureaucrats) and their problematic involvements at the cost of her own life and her servant, uh.. *cough, cough* I mean subordinate.

Something sport-themed..

The Prince of Tennis: I only watched the first or second episodes, it was too long and it mainly focuses on tennis tournaments. If you love sports, you love this anime.

Something shounen..

Nabari no Ou: At first thought, it is very similar to Naruto. However, the more you watch it, the more different it becomes. The themes in Naruto are like friendship, romance, and comedy. The themes here are destruction and survival. It is also co-produced by J.C. Staff (Shakugan no Shana) and Square-Enix (Final Fantasy XIII).

12-16-08, 12:25 PM

Gintama

12-16-08, 12:25 PM

Kira01 said:

Something like Akagi..

Yakushiji Ryoko: The result of mad scientists and corrupted politicians would be monsters wrecking havoc at a city where everyday people can end up as victims. However, if Yakushiji Ryoko is around, things will be quite different. The anime can be summed up as female superintendent of Tokyo's MPD supernatural division's journey to beat up some of the corrupted "amakudari" (career bureaucrats) and their problematic involvements at the cost of her own life and her servant, uh.. *cough, cough* I mean subordinate.

What

12-16-08, 1:40 PM

Ookiku Furikabutte.

12-17-08, 7:38 AM

Kira01 said:
Something like Death Note..

Jigoku Shoujo: Whenever something bad happens and the terrible guys get away with it. The victim can seek revenge by visiting a special website that can only be accessed at midnight everyday. In exchange for their soul at the end of their life, the individual will be handed a straw doll which when unleashed, a group of saviors will be executing the villian in unthinkable horrifying ways. Justice served?

Something like Akagi..

Something sport-themed..

The Prince of Tennis: I only watched the first or second episodes, it was too long and it mainly focuses on tennis tournaments. If you love sports, you love this anime.

Something shounen..

Nabari no Ou: At first thought, it is very similar to Naruto. However, the more you watch it, the more different it becomes. The themes in Naruto are like friendship, romance, and comedy. The themes here are destruction and survival. It is also co-produced by J.C. Staff (Shakugan no Shana) and Square-Enix (Final Fantasy XIII).

I'll try yakushiji ryoko. I think you got akagi mixed with something else.I already finished the others. xD.
ScrumYummy said:
I'm not big into sports anime, but I loved Over Drive. Partially because I'm a cycling geek and the series is really SPOT ON with the details/explanations about bicycles, but also because there was a lot of excitement involved around the race (which takes up most of the series). Once the race started, I found it hard to not watch episodes one right after the other.

I finished overdrive, the ending scene was the best. They should have continued the anime.xD.
ntHai said:
lol, you're watching 3 mainstreams (KHR, Naruto, Bleach) but you're not watching One Piece?
I think you should give it a try, best shonen anime/manga with epic drama/comedy/GARness/etc...

btw fma is neither future nor mecha oO

I'll start it. Thanks. xD
Sorry I thought fma was mecha.
T0sh1k1 said:
Gintama

I'll start watching it.xD.
Jashleigh said:
Ookiku Furikabutte.

Not into baseball but I'll still try it.xD.
Thanks, everyone!

12-17-08, 7:42 AM

Akatsuki (Sport)

12-17-08, 7:56 AM

t0MaToe said:
Akatsuki (Sport)

Is it that gundam movie? I searched and got that. Alternate title? or something would be good. xD.

12-17-08, 11:23 PM

Hmm... Sports anime are rather easy to come by, do you have additional qualifications on that point?

Off the top of my head, I would suggest:

Initial D - I could argue its a sport anime anyway
H2 - lots of baseball
Eyeshield 21 - American football
Kickers - more oldschool, but pretty good
Slam Dunk - basketball
Red Baron - robot fights
Hajime No Ippo - boxing
Ashita no Joe - boxing, the orgininal Rocky Balboa. :p Track this down and you earn the Otaku Medal of Epic Win.

Enjoy.
~Mr. Panda
~ #1 Setsucon Ejectee (2011)
Get your case heard at the Anime Parliament
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here.

12-17-08, 11:34 PM

Warfaze said:
t0MaToe said:
Akatsuki (Sport)

Is it that gundam movie? I searched and got that. Alternate title? or something would be good. xD.

I think he meant the manga called Akatsuki.

12-18-08, 12:59 AM

Hungry Heart Wild Striker for sport

12-18-08, 1:35 PM

Hajime no Ippo is a MUST watch.

12-18-08, 2:07 PM

KEKKAISHI

Also:
Soul Eater
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Slam Dunk (manga, plz)
Baccano!
Blade of the Immortal (manga, plz)
Casshern Sins
Claymore
Darker than BLACK
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (if you enjoy hardcore shounen)
Kaze no Stigma (it have a lot of stupid cliches, but is enjoyable)
Karas
Night Wizard
One Piece (seconding it. and the manga, plz)
Samura Champloo
Shaman King
X/1999
Yuu Yuu Hakusho

12-19-08, 7:07 AM

Mr_Panda said:
Hmm... Sports anime are rather easy to come by, do you have additional qualifications on that point?

Off the top of my head, I would suggest:

Initial D - I could argue its a sport anime anyway
H2 - lots of baseball
Eyeshield 21 - American football
Kickers - more oldschool, but pretty good
Slam Dunk - basketball
Red Baron - robot fights
Hajime No Ippo - boxing
Ashita no Joe - boxing, the orgininal Rocky Balboa. :p Track this down and you earn the Otaku Medal of Epic Win.

Enjoy.

Red baron's mecha rite? I don't wathch mecha.Iam gonna try kickers, Ashita no joe and H2. I have seen the rest of them. xD. What do you mean by track it down? o.O
Plate said:
Warfaze said:
t0MaToe said:
Akatsuki (Sport)

I think he meant the manga called Akatsuki.

THANX ! I started it and its great.xD.
kie_ said:
Hungry Heart Wild Striker for sport

I finished it.Loved the anime, he shouldn't have left the team though. :D
Karura said:
Hajime no Ippo is a MUST watch.

Finished it. ; D

tater_head said:
KEKKAISHI

Also:
Soul Eater
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Slam Dunk (manga, plz)
Baccano!
Blade of the Immortal (manga, plz)
Casshern Sins
Claymore
Darker than BLACK
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (if you enjoy hardcore shounen)
Kaze no Stigma (it have a lot of stupid cliches, but is enjoyable)
Karas
Night Wizard
One Piece (seconding it. and the manga, plz)
Samura Champloo
Shaman King
X/1999
Yuu Yuu Hakusho

Finished most of them (including kekkaishi). Isn't Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann about da future. I'll try Karas,Baccano, One piece(already started), Cashern sins, Claymore, X and Blade of the immortal.(These are the ones I haven't seen yet) xD.
Thnx everyone.

12-19-08, 8:56 PM

Red baron's mecha rite? I don't wathch mecha.Iam gonna try kickers, Ashita no joe and H2. I have seen the rest of them. xD. What do you mean by track it down? o.O

Yes, I forgot about your criteria on mecha. :p As for Joe, the series is not readily findable on this side of the Pacific. I believe, however, that the series is being released through Hong Kong, so you should be able to find at least part of it with some effort.
~Mr. Panda
~ #1 Setsucon Ejectee (2011)
Get your case heard at the Anime Parliament
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices