Forum Settings
Forums
Yowamushi Pedal
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 27, 2013 1:44 AM

Oct 2010
The avenger, the attention-seeker, and the ultimate beginner. It’s a 3-way race to the finish!

With the limiter we all know as the 'utility bike' now removed, [insert dragon ball meme here] Onoda didn't waste too much time catching up to his buddies, impressing his seniors while at it.

What more can I say, Onoda-kun is a freaking beast! With each rival he passed/overtook, I actually felt pretty pumped up as if I was riding my own mountain bike. Reading this volume even made me want to just grab it and go ride it to somewhere, seriously. Especially during that particular chapter where his pedals were (almost) hitting the asphalt while cornering-- I know very well how that felt as cornering at top speed is my favorite thing to do when riding on the road.

Sure, things may be a bit predictable-- the way Onoda-kun was being built up to have the sort of talents to excel in road racing that it's not really surprising to see him do so well esp now with his anchor gone; almost easily catching up with his 2 leading pals/rivals. Winning is an entirely different beast, however and as much as I would want nothing more than for him to win, I could only see indicators/hints in this volume on how and why he's not going to.

The first and most obvious reason being that he mostly have exhausted his energy just catching up in such an incredible pace. And no matter how determined and strong his willpower is, one's body can only do so much realistically.

Secondly is the quite naive goal which he had set for himself from the very beginning of this race. Simply put, he's not in it to win it but rather, he's in it just to have fun and enjoy riding with his best buds. That I assure you is not the ideal (winning) mentality for one to have in a competition, even for one such casual, 'friendly' intra-club contest they're having.

To be honest, I still believe it's the fact that this race is merely casual that he's been doing so well up to now. He has yet to feel actual pressure from adversaries and friends alike, not to mention the pressure from the expectations of your own teammates to do not only good, but great. He just hasn't experienced the true ugly, gritty, competitive atmosphere and nature of the sport.

And lastly, the deal he struck with the devil club pres-- w/o a moment's hesitation, choosing to catch up only to eventually retire at some point, instead of just keeping a steady pace and steadily finishing in 3rd place. XD
a1onerMar 27, 2013 1:48 AM
HAPPY SCANS!
Bringing the COOL in old school!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yowamushi Pedal Chapter 1 Discussion

Emmrys - Mar 2, 2013

1 by ibels »»
Apr 11, 10:27 PM

Poll: » Yowamushi Pedal Chapter 759 Discussion

Tsunamii_ - Mar 1

0 by Tsunamii_ »»
Mar 1, 3:54 AM

Poll: » Yowamushi Pedal Chapter 755 Discussion

Tsunamii_ - Mar 1

0 by Tsunamii_ »»
Mar 1, 3:40 AM

Poll: » Yowamushi Pedal Chapter 750 Discussion

Tsunamii_ - Mar 1

0 by Tsunamii_ »»
Mar 1, 3:24 AM

Poll: » Yowamushi Pedal Chapter 749 Discussion

Tsunamii_ - Mar 1

0 by Tsunamii_ »»
Mar 1, 3:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.