Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2013 5:23 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Energyless mother which made daughter wants to leave her. Co-worker (I guess he's the one who's voiced by FukuJun) somehow likes to talk to her, there's a mother who likes someone to listen to her talk. I guess her son's the one who is voiced by Hino-san (?), poor him at the end.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 28, 2013 1:55 AM

Apr 2009
Aside from the punch.. this anime was quite depressing to watch.
Mar 28, 2013 12:58 PM

Sep 2010
Liked the way the mother decided to live for "herself" now.

For her daughter... You bitch! She did everything so that you can get a better life. At least in terms of financial support and so-called "mother duties" she tried her best. Of course she would feel without energy and happiness. Look at that husband. Does not even know the bus hours. She is your wife fuck head! You could worry a little bit more! And for the college boy, a classical spoiled jackass... Knowing nothing about real life, just being a spoiled child and getting what he wants, without even paying thanks or some consideration...

It was depressing yes, but at the same time we should take our lessons from it. Do not give up on your life! Live for yourself first. Other people around you are not around you just because they LOVE you. It's just they may not have other people. Consider it. Be alive for yourself first.

God I got irritated by all those side characters and felt really bad for the mother.
Mar 28, 2013 3:57 PM

Apr 2009
That episode was brutal in the way it portrayed a situation that could happen to anyone of us. I really enjoyed this one though and think it was probably the best episode along with the first that aired over a year ago.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 28, 2013 6:16 PM
Apr 2012
Should have punched daughter instead.

Whole family needed to help and appreciate her mote tho.
Mar 28, 2013 11:51 PM

Dec 2010
Somehow I expected this to turn into a milf hentai :P
Apr 2, 2013 5:19 AM

Nov 2008
Fuck life!
Apr 8, 2013 2:41 PM

Sep 2011
Son: Don't fuck with me.
Mom: Don't fuck with me. *uppercut punch*
HAHAHA. Way to go, mama.

For real, it's sad how much I connected with this character. How I feel like I'm going to end up like that and it terrifies me. Happy to see that she changed herself for the better. I would've loved to see more of her and how she handles her clueless husband. This episode and the episode before this made the series awesome. I could've skipped the first 3 episodes.

Episode: 5/5 Overall: 8/10
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Apr 9, 2013 8:25 AM

Jan 2008
Poor her. She's a very responsible mother trying to provide her family their basic needs and a clean home to return to. Housework is tasking and cooking meals early everyday is a sacrifice and to have a night shift part time job is definitely exhausting. Her family are unappreciative. The husband is useless, dumb, and uncaring. Why did she marry him in the first place? Marriage arrangement, prolly? It's still a practice in some in Japan.

I understand the point the daughter was trying to say of not wanting to be like her mother but she didn't see how much her mother sacrificed for their family. Bitchy daughter.

This is depressing but it ends positively good. She's now living her life and I'm glad it ended that way.
Apr 9, 2013 9:30 PM

Sep 2011
In general, a great series.
Apr 13, 2013 10:03 AM

Dec 2008
Wow. Even with that ending, it was still pretty freakin depressing. This was my 2nd favorite. First being the first one.

Shame I can't give this series a 10 anymore.
Overall 7/10.
May 2, 2013 8:52 PM

Jun 2010
I like this one the best out of the four because the level of sappy fantasy is way lower here. It gets pretty cloying in the first two.

Some nice little touches in here, like the way woman's husband is useless not because he's uncaring but because he's lazy, and the way the daughter who apparently was a stereotype of the rude teenager actually feels violent angst in regards to her mother rather than banal disrespect.

It's a nice touch that the lead's creepily pale skin takes on some color after she snaps and becomes more lively.

sevki said:
For her daughter... You bitch! She did everything so that you can get a better life. At least in terms of financial support and so-called "mother duties" she tried her best. Of course she would feel without energy and happiness.

"Of course" she's like that? That's even worse!

I don't think the woman even disagrees with her daughter when the girl says she hates the way her mother lives. The whole episode is an explication of how this woman blandly hates her life.
May 5, 2013 2:07 PM

Aug 2011
This is so realistic. I desperately hope I won't end up like that when I get older.
May 6, 2013 4:35 PM

Feb 2012
Of the 4 episodes this is probably my favorite one. The slap at the end was hilarious. I'm glad they decided to make 3 more episodes after the original because if it had just been the original episode I don't think I would've enjoyed this series as much.
Jul 26, 2013 11:36 AM

Jan 2008
Nice episode, but the punch pissed me off.
Aug 10, 2013 5:33 PM

Feb 2010
One of the best 20 minute standalone episodes I've ever seen in anime. There's not a single person in this anime that I can't feel for and understand where they come from (except her coworker probably). They are all so adorably flawed <3. Very good atmosphere too.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 28, 2013 2:45 AM

Apr 2009
I feel like she taking back her "entire life's worth of ambition, courage and the power to take action"! Sorry I couldn't help but borrow the concept from the third episode when this episode ended. XD Go mama!

My preference by episode order would be 3≥4>1>2. Life and the surprises it would lead you... I hope there would be more of this series, I wouldn't mind the waiting. 8/10 overall for the series.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 9, 2013 3:36 PM

Jan 2013
This is a very realistic and depressing sorry, and I know it far too well.
What the daughter did could be considered disrespectful, but it was actually one of the things that triggered her mothers revival. The daughter was actually helping her mother become herself again whether she knows it or not.
If the daughter didn't do what she did, it would just be the same damn thing happening every day. No changes, no hope, nothing.
It would be nice if the father also has a revelation. Than the family could be going down the right track.

It's funny how just 1 minute of happiness at the end changes the mood of the show.
It's sad how everyone was so selfish except for the mother. I would almost like to see another episode of her in her current state.

Too bad that this lifestyle can actually happen. Trust me, I've seen it. And the day of realization never comes for them.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Oct 14, 2013 11:22 AM

Oct 2011
very nice story/animation which i definitely could identify with - hitting middle age, always trying to be the nice/accommodating person who always gets stepped on for being selfless - loved the way she finally stares her tormentors/loved ones in the eye and says "f#$k you, this is my life and i'll live it as i see fit.....overall loved the series - wonderful to see slice of life with this much intimacy and realism in anime - the world needs more tales like these! 7/10 for this one and 8/10 for the series.....
Dec 7, 2013 7:10 PM

Jul 2011
Selfish daughter. If you hate how she lives, support and help her rather than contributing to the problem. Same for you, son.

I freakin' LOL'd when she punched him!!

And I wish it showed her talking to her family and working out the issues, but the last few minutes relieved me.
Jul 13, 2014 12:57 AM

Jun 2009
Definitely my favorite episode... Was pretty depressing, yet realistic...

I'll try not to end up like that man... And make my future-wife feel empty like her...

Btw, nice punch!

I think she'll get along a bit better with her son after that.
Gut feeling...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2014 4:27 PM

Jul 2012
Well damn. That was pretty depressing.

I feel so bad for my parents now for acting like a bitch all the time. This episode out of all four made me think the most and is probably going to impact how I act towards my parents. Seriously, the daughter was so rude to her mom. The mom had so much shit to do everyday and people to feed. She even worked a nightly shift so they could survive and pay off loans.

But seriously, this was done really well. One of the most realistic portrayals of family life that I've seen in anime so far. Screw Clannad, this is the real thing.

8/10 for all four. This one being the most influential, episode 3 being the most enjoyable, episode 2 being the happiest and episode 1 being the best written.
Sep 30, 2014 4:28 PM
Jan 2010
When she actually does not protest till she is remainded of her daughter when that coworker guy takes her to a hotel, and in the end she says I am an old woman that's why he should ask me out. Does this mean she wants to go out with that guy. Ending got me confused.
Nov 2, 2014 1:46 AM

Jun 2013
This episode was more close to realism than the 2nd episode hands down.. while it stands on equal footing with the 1st and 3rd episode. Overall, a great watch. Wondering what the reactions of the elder women, to whom this anime was particularly aimed at, after watching this particular episode. Loved the way the mother suddenly came to the realization about what Hammer was trying to do and when she punched her son and decided to lead a life by always lifting her head up rather than drooping it down.
Apr 23, 2015 12:00 PM

Oct 2012
Hmm, so in the end she solved pretty much nothing, only gave herself false hope and made a lot of further problems.

I like the mood of this episode and the slice-of-life was well done but I really didn't like its message. The ending was literally wrong.

Yes, this was perhaps as true to modern japanese society as it could be and I really liked those little details and behavior of other characters but I simply didn't like the way this movie tried to promote similiar actions in other women, telling them revolt and do the same. Almost like in some feminist propaganda.

Instead of being rude and exacting her way of life on others, she should slowly change her way of thinking and find herself some nice hobby that she liked to do. Even if she tried to be tough in spur of the moment her doubts will simply not go away with this action ignited by spur of the moment. Later she would definitely regret what he did, troubling herself even more in the process.

Her daughter was pretty right on the spot. She literally turned the environment of their flat into unmotivated, unrespected place full of worries with suffocating atmosphere for everyone else.

It's kinda sad to know that we actually live in this society of 'sheeps' that don't think and do what they're saying on TV and don't stray from a herd, which is even more true for Japan. At least in this, there is something to think about. But I really don't think the solution this movie offers was viable one and that's why I found its end unsatisfactory.

6/10 for this episode. 7/10 Overall, mainly thanks to great third story.
May 5, 2015 2:05 PM

Sep 2014
Depressing but real. That was on hell of a slap to her son. If only she could have done that to Hina, lol.
Sep 19, 2015 4:12 PM

Dec 2011
Wow, this was tense. It is sad to think that this happen to a lot of women on real life too.
Jun 25, 2016 6:32 AM

Nov 2013
Histerical women throws tantrum, uses violence. How exactly is that epic or funny?
You all need to watch Nami.

Jun 25, 2016 8:33 AM

Jun 2010
abystoma2 said:
Histerical women throws tantrum, uses violence. How exactly is that epic or funny?

It's because of the context of the story. Up until then the main character is demonstrating forbearance and self-sacrifice, ostensibly for the sake of her family (which is admired and even expected in Japan) but she snaps out of it because her family aren't reciprocating (her son is rude to her, her husband barely pays any attention) and as her daughter's departure demonstrated she wasn't actually fulfilling her role as a mother. Plus parents slapping children for serious disrespect or wrongdoing doesn't seem to be controversial (if I can judge from depictions in anime) and the way she knocks him over is a dramatic/humorous exaggeration.

This story is about middle-aged angst and being trapped in a rut and the semi-happy ending is the woman "waking up" and living more consciously.
Jun 25, 2016 8:57 AM

Nov 2013
Fronzel said:

Plus parents slapping children for serious disrespect or wrongdoing doesn't seem to be controversial (if I can judge from depictions in anime) and the way she knocks him over is a dramatic/humorous exaggeration.

"Shuuichi, mind if I borrow your bike?"
"Sure."
"Rather, I'm just going to take it. Don't ride it without asking me first."
"Huh? Isn't that a gift for getting accepted into college?! Don't fuck with me! Don't ride my bike without saying anything! Dammit!"
"Dont't fuck with me!" *punch*

So, she asks him if she can borrow his bike, he easily agrees, she acts like a dick which angres him, she vents out stress by punching him.

Either I missed something (with I admit could happen, since I multitasked throught the episode as it was boring for me) or the mother is in the wrong this time.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jul 21, 2016 10:01 AM

Jan 2012
This was actually my least liked episode. I know it's only a part of the episode but I just couldn't stand how the daughter behaved towards her mother. Actually it would have made more sense if she slapped her daughter instead of her son.
Apr 1, 2017 10:28 AM

Dec 2014
I never heard about this before watching it and these four episodes were just wonderful. How is this so underwatched? It was so damn good. I go into almost everything I watch with knowing little to nothing about it. That leads to me watching a lot of mediocre things but every now and then I find something like this and it makes it so worth it. 4>2>1>3

8/10
May 12, 2017 8:17 AM
Jul 2008
abystoma2 said:
Fronzel said:

Plus parents slapping children for serious disrespect or wrongdoing doesn't seem to be controversial (if I can judge from depictions in anime) and the way she knocks him over is a dramatic/humorous exaggeration.

"Sure."
"Huh? Isn't that a gift for getting accepted into college?! Don't fuck with me! Don't ride my bike without saying anything! Dammit!"

So, she asks him if she can borrow his bike, he easily agrees, she acts like a dick which angres him, she vents out stress by punching him.

Either I missed something (with I admit could happen, since I multitasked throught the episode as it was boring for me) or the mother is in the wrong this time.

You need to rewatch the episode again. The son may seldom use the bike as depicted in earlier episode so she asked to make the bike to be hers rather than not be used at all.
He did not agree about that and he keep acting whiny was the trigger after she heard other people's whine in her head. Did you notice all her belongings are handown from her kids? After that the son keep acting whiny so that was the time she 'snapped'.

Have you ever snapped before? I've been once and it was unpleasant feeling. Look at her face after she slapped her son. You have no control on your body and shocked after you did the deed.

I sometimes meet someone on MAL who said 'I multitasked while watching this, so can someone explain this?'. Unless it's gag anime, you need to stop doing that..

Here're some screens in case you missed them

Oct 5, 2021 3:34 AM

Jan 2021
uwah, I know it's shocking but it's so satisfying when Maho finally says "don't fuck with me!" then punched her son. Though I wish she should have slapped her daughter first.

They didn't see how tired Maho was from the morning having been busy preparing various things, cleaning the house and delivering food to Maho's mother's house, at night she worked part time, went through a cold night and when she got home she still had to deal with several things, she only had a little time to sleep.. the next day she kept doing the same thing so she didn't have time to rest or take care of herself, not to mention having to take care of two impudent children who were difficult to even talk to and her husband was also indifferent and didn't want to know the situation at home.. she was so exhausted that she didn't even have the energy to argue. And also, yes, this doesn't always happen but I can really understand how difficult it is to take care of a girl (also a daughter in Maho's case) especially when she is still middle or high schooler.

I'm glad to see Maho finally decided to live for herself. By the way, this reminds me a bit of the Korean movie "Kim Ji Young: Born 1982" which also tells about the hardships of living as a housewife. But indeed the situation, conditions, causes and end result are different. It's just that it's also pretty good to watch, maybe someone wants to watch it ~

Oct 8, 2021 2:56 PM

Aug 2015
I'm not crying...

Nov 6, 2021 2:45 AM

Jun 2007
"I don't know why my children are like that. It's not like I raised them or something. I got nothing to do with it, poor me. Also fuck my husband it's not like I chose him and it's not like I can divorce him. Life is unfair to the old poor me boohoo"
So she got tired of playing victim/martyr and decided to play something different... and started with punching her son for no reason. "Your bike is mine now" bitch....... ughhh.
Also I wonder why no one mentioned how she was about to cheat but then the thought of her daughter made her change her mind and falsely accuse the guy of assaulting her? lmao you guys, really, what a nice character.
Mich666 said:
Instead of being rude and exacting her way of life on others, she should slowly change her way of thinking and find herself some nice hobby that she liked to do. Even if she tried to be tough in spur of the moment her doubts will simply not go away with this action ignited by spur of the moment. Later she would definitely regret what he did, troubling herself even more in the process.

Her daughter was pretty right on the spot. She literally turned the environment of their flat into unmotivated, unrespected place full of worries with suffocating atmosphere for everyone else.

I agree.
SorvarinNov 6, 2021 2:50 AM
see you, space cowperson . . .
Nov 6, 2021 9:46 AM

Jun 2010
Sorvarin said:
"I don't know why my children are like that. It's not like I raised them or something. I got nothing to do with it, poor me. Also fuck my husband it's not like I chose him and it's not like I can divorce him. Life is unfair to the old poor me boohoo"
So she got tired of playing victim/martyr and decided to play something different...

I think this irony is quite deliberate. It deliberately starts off as a cliche image of an unhappy middle-aged woman with a lazy husband and disrespectful children (i.e. her problems are created by others) but then it's thrown back into her face when it turns out her daughter isn't ignoring her but correctly perceives what a pathetic life she's leading and can't stand to be around her. The story twists from others' behavior causing her problems to her own behavior causing her daughter problems.
Nov 6, 2021 11:08 AM

Jun 2007
Fronzel said:
I think this irony is quite deliberate. It deliberately starts off as a cliche image of an unhappy middle-aged woman with a lazy husband and disrespectful children (i.e. her problems are created by others) but then it's thrown back into her face when it turns out her daughter isn't ignoring her but correctly perceives what a pathetic life she's leading and can't stand to be around her. The story twists from others' behavior causing her problems to her own behavior causing her daughter problems.

Ah mate idk but let's just think it's exactly like you said :] I'd prefer it to be so
see you, space cowperson . . .
Jan 27, 2023 8:08 AM

Aug 2020
Blew me away with its writing not only the best episode of this series but also one of the best episode out their.

Everyone in this episodes were wrong,even the daughter who triggered the change instead of saying she hate her mother because of how she is , she could have a lively conversation with her mother and tells her feelings and what she thinks about her mother instead of deciding everything on their own and straight up hating her by doing this she surely is right but her methods were clearly wrong and she failed as a daughter. 
Then that father who was lazy not not someone who doesn't care about others(his family), otherwise why he is obediently following what her wife says or even suggest the idea of taking bus and finally the son who is completely spoiled and unable to do anything in future and just gonna slack off and become lazy or even careless person. Everyone failed as their role of father,daughter and son that's why the mother become a sacrifice which was shown throughout the ep.

The mother who is mc is truly brilliant character, whose character shown as a woman in various forms which a woman experience in their entire life that's being daughter,wife and mother. Man when she says that she is alive for not only yours to her mother is what hit so hard ,the entire atmosphere changed and that small amount of happiness feels way more satisfying than anything.

Really this episode is very thoughtful and shows the aspect of a life which all of us human hates and don't wanna be like this , the main girl was just lost in everything and forgot she is alive not only for others but for herself too since you don't live life for others only but there's have to be a life of your own too.

Ep 4>ep 1=ep 2>ep 3.
Aug 17, 2023 6:10 PM

Dec 2009
E1 - 6/10, E2- 5/10, E3 - 4/10, E4 - 4/10

It was very intriguing until the end. Shockingly, in the finale, no one is very redeemable.
Even though it was depressing for the most part, where I rooted for the mother, I couldn't full respect her afterwards either.

F*ck them kids. Ungrateful nonsensical bastards.
It's relatable in how we can get annoyed with parents and wanted independence and simply live our life alone, but... 
Both daughters don't make sense. Her daugther is illogical, and she herself dismissing her mother as well is a bit weird. 

Too much left unknown. 
Nov 4, 2023 12:04 PM
Dec 2019
Reply to LeonLanford
abystoma2 said:
Fronzel said:

"Sure."

You need to rewatch the episode again. The son may seldom use the bike as depicted in earlier episode so she asked to make the bike to be hers rather than not be used at all.
He did not agree about that and he keep acting whiny was the trigger after she heard other people's whine in her head. Did you notice all her belongings are handown from her kids? After that the son keep acting whiny so that was the time she 'snapped'.

Have you ever snapped before? I've been once and it was unpleasant feeling. Look at her face after she slapped her son. You have no control on your body and shocked after you did the deed.

I sometimes meet someone on MAL who said 'I multitasked while watching this, so can someone explain this?'. Unless it's gag anime, you need to stop doing that..

Here're some screens in case you missed them

@LeonLanford Its not that son has whined, he responded to her disrespect.... If she did not disrespect by not saying "Rather, I'm just going to take it. Don't ride it without asking me first" she could've said "You don't use that bike much, so I'm going to use it, I will give it to you when you need" without the disrespect.... No human can tolerate that kind of disrespect (saying I will take this thing that belongs to you and you have to ask me permission first if you want to use it) and not retaliate... that is not whining by son, it was complete disrespect shown by mom towards her son.... You say that she snapped at his whining while she disrespected him first which caused him to "whine".... Even after snapping did she even apologise to her son after hitting him...That should say everything you need to know about her

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawamo wo Suberu Kaze Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Lieila - Apr 20, 2011

53 by 0x0718 »»
Nov 13, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Otona Joshi no Anime Time Episode 3 Discussion

Naruleach - Mar 24, 2013

26 by Kristiwazhere »»
Nov 10, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Otona Joshi no Anime Time Episode 2 Discussion

Josh - Mar 20, 2013

39 by Kristiwazhere »»
Nov 10, 2023 10:06 AM

» That feel when you check your list and notices that this show has more episodes...

Pizzaholic - Dec 27, 2012

17 by ueki27 »»
Mar 19, 2013 2:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.