Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « First ... « 19 20 [21] 22 23 » ... Last »
Jun 5, 2015 4:38 AM

Sep 2012
Spartan16 said:
Did anyone notice that there is a contradiction with Saki/writer's logic when dealing the "ogre". The "ogre" died when it killed Kiroumaru because he was a monster rat. However, earlier Kiroumaru stated that his army, of monster rats, were killed by the "ogre" and not the Robber Fly army. So the "ogre" should have suffered the Death of Shame then.

There is no contradiction, watch again. "Ogre" just stripped down Kiroumaru's army and destroyed their weapons leading to their annihilation by the hands of squealer's army however as "Ogre" didn't kill them directly and wasn't directly involved with their killing therefore no death of shame.
Jun 11, 2015 6:28 PM

Jan 2010
Alright, let's see how far I can read into this show. As it seems, Cantus is metaphoric for real-life mental states. Obviously, a destructive personality can harm others through physical violence. For someone who is depressing and is a general downer though, they can bring others around them down as well, influencing their environment by creating a subtly heavy atmosphere. It could also be the human potential, where just by thinking about it, people can dedicate themselves to accomplish great things, just as they can accomplish horrifying things.

I think it was stated through this show at some point, but the village in Shinsekai yori is supposed to be like a Utopian society, where everything is engineered to be a perfectly functioning world. In theory, it should work. Children are raised accordingly to strict regulations, with potentially dangerous children removed as to not cause problems. They don't have rights until they are of a certain age, so until then, the adults can do as they'd like so long as they follow the society's rules. This control is further enforced through diverting sexual drive and tendencies towards violence. Homosexuality is used as a sexual release and to control birthrates, and death feedback is used so people aren't able to hurt others. Through genetic engineering, the rules of society are embedded in their genes, which is something far more effective than simple conditioning.

From what Utopian societies I know of, they're normally run through some sort of idea or concept, whether it's grounded in intellectual pursuits, religious endeavors, or some sort of dissatisfaction with how society is run. However, they only last as long as their founding leader is alive, or until the second generation population are born and leave out of a lack of interest. In fiction, Utopian societies are more metaphorical, serving as "what if" scenarios where assuming humans were capable of living in precise ways, they'd be able to live in peace and harmony. I'm thinking of stuff like Thomas More's Utopia, Charlotte Perkins Gilman Herland, or the city imagined by Jacque Fesco in Looking Foward, where mindsets, social structures, and even human biology could be altered and used as a basis for a better world.

Of course, the flipside to these are Dystopias, where everything isn't as perfect as the creator may have imagined. There are implications which aren't considered, perhaps due to a lack of testing or differing interests. In the case of Shinsekai yori, it doesn't seem to be a Utopia out of choice, nor is it a Dystopia as a result. If anything, this society has no choice but to implement strict control on how its populace lives, else it would completely destroy itself. At the same time, this is similar to how Utopias are based around humans capable of living in a predictable, controlled manner. Assuming people in a society wouldn't do harm or outright kill each other, they'd be able to live happily.

The question is though, how could that be accomplished? Education? Psychological conditioning? Pious living and constant religious service? Mechanical assistance? Or, in the case of Shinsekai yori, biological alterations? What of human rights, and ethics in biological engineering? Are such issues no longer a problem when anxieties take over? Perhaps then, such issues are luxuries when there's no imminent and immediate threat to daily life. It would take a remarkable event, such as a great tragedy, to change the mindset of a society that much.

This anime presents an extreme case where a Utopian society is actually needed - something which I've never really seen before. Certainly I've heard of such Utopias being proposed over society going downhill, such as the Industrial Revolution wreaking havoc on cities and the working class, but I've never seen a case, even in fiction, where impending self-destruction has and is a threat to humanity. What's scary is how Boy K - the first fiend - wasn't exactly pushed over the edge by any one event. He almost randomly snapped in the middle of class. It's different from other anime, where it's caused by a bully-type character pushing the monster-in-waiting too far. Here, it just happens. Say, just like how in everyday life, a person next to you in school or work could just snap. The horror isn't the monsters or the society. It's the fact that individuals are just that fragile, yet they're also as destructive as a force of nature given the worst case scenario.

I'm not sure of Shinsekai yori intentionally includes any societal observations, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
ShockedJun 11, 2015 6:42 PM
Jun 12, 2015 11:18 AM

Nov 2014
God, I finally finished it....

I don't feel like writing a full review, so I'll keep it brief and full of adjectives.

What I liked: Beautiful art, animation, and atmosphere. Multiple layers are introduced well in the first few episodes; it's like a mix of Harry Potter and Logan's Run.

What I disliked: It quickly gets bogged down with a lot of characters and things suddenly happening without any clear indicator of its direction. It depends heavily on exhausting infodumps to fill the gaps, and plot devices to connect the dots and legitimize abrupt tone shifts.

Summary: Shinsekai Yori is a hollow bore that's both over-engineered and haphazardly constructed (in my personal and completely subjective opinion). It didn't connect with me at all.

5/10
Jun 12, 2015 10:20 PM

Jul 2012
I've seen people mentioning in this and other SSY threads that they've read an online translation of the novel. Where can I find it? Also, some of those mentions said it was in progress. Is that still the case, or is it finished?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. For future reference in case anyone's interested, there are two different translations, which are here and here. The Baka-Tsuki one is waaaay behind the other one which, at the time of this post, is partway through Part 5 (there are 6 parts total). I don't know how quickly or slowly that translation is progressing, but from some of the comments I read on the site it seems like the person working on it has every intention of finishing their translation, which makes me a very happy panda.
SejinJun 13, 2015 10:13 AM
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Jun 14, 2015 6:52 AM

Dec 2014
On episode four I said I was probably going to give this a 10/10 and that's exactly what I gave it. I loved this series, from start to finish I didn't find it slow at all like a lot of people did. My only regret is that I couldn't finish it faster because it was so good.
Jun 14, 2015 5:04 PM

Jul 2012
I just want to talk a little about some complaints I have with the show. Most of them are pretty minor, and they are heavily outweighed by the things I like about the show (and there is a lot that I like about the show).

In ep. 3, I don't get why Saki says that stuff about Maria. I get that it's foreshadowing, but why is it placed there? It doesn't have any relevance 'til much later. I honestly think they didn't even need to foreshadow that. The foreshadowing helps make Saki's sudden realization that the Fiend is Maria's child a bit easier to take at face value, but I think that they could have handled that reveal better to begin with. It's just, "Oh, that's Maria's kid!" The Fiend has the same eye and hair color as Maria, and I don't remember seeing anyone else in the village with the same eye and hair colors, but that's not even an explanation given by the show as to why Saki realizes it's Maria's kid. She just...does.

That's more a symptom of a somewhat larger problem, though, which is that I think the show is too indirect at times. The other notable example of this that I can think of off the top of my head is in ep. 6 (I think that's the right one?), when Saki and Satoru are trying to excape from the monster rat caves and they encounter the cloud of poison gas, which they promptly flee from. They obviously inhale some of it in that first instance because if it was really leaking into the small area they were trapped in after the cave-in, they'd be in much worse shape than they were. However, they never come into physical contact with the cloud of poison gas that we and they can see, which has led a lot of people to miss that they inhaled some of it.

In a completely logical way, it makes sense that they wouldn't have to make physical contact with a visible part of the cloud. The chemical properties of gases are such that the molecules are spread far apart. So the actual edges of the gas cloud are spread out farther than the physical cloud you can see. From this, you can assume that Saki and Satoru inhaled a very small amount of the gas, and you can make logical sense out of it. But from a visual storytelling point-of-view, it just doesn't get that across clearly enough, as evidenced by the number of people that failed to pick up on the fact that they were poisoned.

There were a number of things left open-ended at the end of the show, and I generally liked that. Doing it that way was important for the way the show handled its ideas and themes. The one thing I think they should have "tied off" more conclusively was what happened to the human babies that Squealer stole. I'm not even saying it has to be tied off in a positive way. It could just as well have been either, "We found the children Squealer stole" or "We didn't find the children Squealer stole, but we're still looking". Heck, the second one would actually be really friggin' scary and have some really serious, frightening, worrisome implications. But the fact that they don't mention it at all, when it was an incredibly important plot point considering the devastation that even just one child raised like the Fiend could cause, makes it feel like they either forgot or ignored it entirely, which, again, is pretty bad considering how important it was.

The last thing, which is my most significant complaint, is that there were a number of times the story lost the momentum it had build up, making it feel somewhat directionless. The first time is near the beginning, when Rijin is taking the kids back to the village after they talked to the false minoshiro, which gets derailed when they're attacked by the Queerats. That turn isn't really what I have the problem with, as I understand why they did it. My issue is more with the depiction of their stay in the caves. To me, it generally felt lacking in momentum. The characters just sort of go along with it, and we aren't given insight into how they feel about it. Is their curiosity piqued by what they see once they're in the caves, causing them to somewhat forget the urgency of the situation and lessening their immediate desire to escape and find their friends? Are they feeling anxious to escape because of the urgency of the situation? That doesn't really come across, making large chunks of that section feel like they meander.

The other instances of this loss of momentum that really stood out to me were the time skips. The first one actually didn't bother me hardly at all because there wasn't much momentum for it to derail, in addition to the fact that it's generally smoothed over well by things we already know. At the end of ep. 7, the events from the previous episodes had wound down, so when ep. 8 came there wasn't much momentum built up. The only thing they did do to try to add a little tension was mention at the very end of ep. 7 that the adults really did know all along what had happened. But because nothing comes of that in the next episodes, that tension just fizzles out. I actually don't have a problem with nothing coming of that, because it makes a lot of sense. From what the kids learned from the false minoshiro and from the suspicions they already had of their society, they know that bringing everything up and trying to do something about it wouldn't really work. At best they'd be ignored. At worst they'd be killed. They're smart, resourceful kids, so it's reasonable to assume they'd understand that much.

The other two time skips bother me a bit more. The same roadblocks that keep the kids from doing anything after the first time skip are there in the second one, but it also adds the memory alteration as another obstacle. The third time skip is the most jarring to me, and is the least smoothed-over. The main reasons it's so jarring are because of the amount of time skipped and because of how we're told that Saki and Satoru have had a falling out over something minor. I mean, normally, yeah, that makes sense. People change over time, which can lead to drifting apart. But in this case it's hard to swallow mainly because of how Saki's stated that she didn't want to lose any more of her friends (I know that she stated that directly in the last episode, but if I remember correctly, she also said it more indirectly before the third time skip; I could be wrong about this, though). That seemed like a pretty strong motivation for her, so it's hard for me to believe that she'd let it happen.

I understand that a big part of the story and the ideas it explores is the difficulty (maybe even bordering on impossibility) of change, so in that sense the fact that the characters don't really do anything to try to change things makes perfect sense. But from a storytelling perspective, the repeated, abrupt stops to momentum really took me out of it, especially since it's the same thing over and over.

Stories are all different. Some are more in service to the story overall, and some are more in service to the ideas they want to explore, and the story is a little more directly a vehicle for that. That's just fine, and it's not something I have a problem with in the slightest (I love Ikuhara's works, and that's a part of his MO). My issue (and, again, it's not a huge issue or anything; I don't even remotely dislike or hate the show for this) is more the way that it's handled here, with the time skips and jolting stops in momentum hindering my enjoyment a bit.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Jun 20, 2015 12:16 PM
Sep 2013
Could someone please explain to me the hype behind this anime and why it is considered to be so great?
Today I finally finished it after dropping it for at least 4 times in last 6 months.
Heard people talking about some unexpected, extremely surprising plot twist, but as I kept going (marathoned 14 episodes in one go) nothing really happened.

Was a decent show, certainly not anything outstanding, not at least for me.
Jun 21, 2015 11:17 AM

Feb 2013
N2P1 said:
Could someone please explain to me the hype behind this anime and why it is considered to be so great?
Today I finally finished it after dropping it for at least 4 times in last 6 months.
Heard people talking about some unexpected, extremely surprising plot twist, but as I kept going (marathoned 14 episodes in one go) nothing really happened.

because of many psycholigcal aspects like, how the sociaty deals with karma demons, past humans (the squearats) are treated, and many more
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Jun 25, 2015 11:41 AM

Oct 2013
Wow...what a nice ending of a pretty emotional, bloody and sad show. I liked it!
Jun 25, 2015 5:43 PM
Nov 2014
N2P1 said:

Before I go on, I say watch episode 25 again, last episode if you don't want a spoiler anyone. The monster rats, going back to the 4 type of human colonies back in the dark ages, are the ancestors of the slave and "normal" humans that lived in peace somewhat with the technological civilization, which I assume became the modern psychokinesis towns. The cantus humans had a disadvantage being they could not kill normal humans either, leaving them defenseless against attack. So they mutated the normal humans with naked mole rats, being that the monster rats and humans have 23 chromosome pairs. This was the big twist.
Jul 1, 2015 4:48 PM

May 2012
This anime have so much controversial themes. I can't fully agree with the way they sacrificed kids for basically no reason (if they were not good enough with their cantus they were easily discarded ), but them you see what someone out-control can do and that makes it hard to blame the leaders for what they were doing.

It was nice to see the characters growing up too, but the only thing i don't think they explained right was the reason Shun accepted Satoru. Shun liked Saki from the beginning, he could have at least tried some with her. Maybe this is explained better in the novel.

I cant give a note other than 10/10 Must see anime.
KaeUBWJul 1, 2015 5:02 PM
I despise woke people.
Jul 3, 2015 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
This episode gave me goosebumps, just beautiful. Perfect conclusion to such an interesting, thought-provoking series.
This has become one of my favorite anime :3
Jul 3, 2015 9:05 PM
Nov 2014
This anime is so underrated.
I don't care about any faults this anime had, it's an amazing anime. So intriguing, and interesting. Damn. Leaves me speechless. More like leaves me crying xD
I love how well elaborated the story plot was.
The friendships and relationships they had too.
The characters were awesome! Hurts so much to know they all died >.<
And the hardships they went through. They were able to get through them together (Saki and Satoru) *tears up*
That ending tho! Love it!
They get married, and we even see that Saki is pregnant!! *cries again for the 5th time today*
And we also see when they're picking the baby's name!!! :3
I would give it 15/10 -no regrets, don't care what anyone says.
Jul 9, 2015 6:33 AM
Nov 2010
The story and the way it used the characters to show and explain various things were very well done. After the first episode, in which not much or enough was shown, Shinsekai yori kept me enthralled all the way to the end.

A-1 pictures has done the job of producing this marvelously. Though there might have been a few experiments here and there, the animation and the soundtrack were definitely good.
Jul 12, 2015 1:16 AM

Dec 2013
now wut........
Jul 12, 2015 1:23 AM

Jul 2012
Xorion1997 said:
now wut........

How did you like it?

Thiss_grll said:
I don't care about any faults this anime had, it's an amazing anime. So intriguing, and interesting. Damn. Leaves me speechless. More like leaves me crying xD
And the hardships they went through. They were able to get through them together (Saki and Satoru) *tears up*
They get married, and we even see that Saki is pregnant!! *cries again for the 5th time today*

I like you!
Jul 12, 2015 3:01 AM

Dec 2013
LOVED IT!!!!!!!

it has been a battle though, the battle of my ship (sakiXsaturo), it may have seemed blurry at first but in the end my ship won :P :P :P :P

Lolcats1997Jul 12, 2015 3:47 AM
Jul 12, 2015 4:20 AM

Sep 2014
This is....well probably the best anime I've ever seen (Sort of tied with Steins;gate) I don't see another anime topping this in my eyes, maybe steins;gate 0 will. This is TRUELY a one of a kind anime. Transcending any sort of medium out there be it books, video games, art w/e. Already bought the BD. I can't believe I dropped this anime around a year ago around eps 10-12 because I thought it was boring at the time.

There is just SO much to this anime and it's world. The more you reflect on it the more you realize how much there actually is to this world that this anime creates that isn't thrown at you. It touches on so many subjects and issues in real life as well. On another note, maybe if humans one day did start developed PSI (Which could happen in the future) perhaps the world would in one thousand year resemble something similar to shinsekai yori. I could go on and on about this anime there is just so much to talk about.
davinci12Jul 12, 2015 4:23 AM
Jul 12, 2015 4:28 AM

Feb 2013
Xorion1997 said:
now wut........

i know this feel, but you still have many rly good animes left to watch :D likse kiseijuu or code geass:P

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Jul 16, 2015 7:36 AM
Dec 2011
its a brilliant story the plot is epic as hell you really have no clue what will happen next and i loved every minute of it.

the plot is unbelievable i don't know what to say its so unique and so great that every minute will keep you guessing and in edge of your last nerve its just so exciting to watch.

any anime fan this is a must watch! i smiled with it i cried with it i scream of joy with it so many experiences i never felt before ran through my heart as i watched this masterpiece !

so many lessons are given about the reality of the world and what it could become some day and how humans act for their survival. in some actions you feel "this isn't right" and "there have to be a another way" and there always is you just have look for it and take the first step toward the road called "hope" otherwise you will be in dark .

you have to have enough strength and courage to change the world for the better ! this is the important message this fantastic anime give us and its been my great pleasure to watch this beautiful story unravel !

the music is superb the most memorable i have heard for a while its completely one of kind, it a masterpiece of its own made just for this anime .

animation and specially the English voice actors made these characters come to live i love them.
i love each and every main character they had their own heart and soul which is magnificent.

a one of a kind anime that is a must watch for anyone , i will miss the characters very much even now as i type this ..

so watch this and learn what true strength is all about :3
Jul 16, 2015 1:42 PM
Aug 2013
after all tht fear of the tainted cats in the first half, the ending showing those cute fluffy kittens really killed it!!

a very unconventional and controversial anime i have watched ever!!
Jul 20, 2015 3:18 PM

Nov 2013
this ending has wrapped up everything in the show, especially what is queerat, where they come from, I can't still imagine how cruel those ningen with cantus power in the past towards normal ningen, I'll never ever forget this anime...
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jul 21, 2015 12:06 AM
May 2011
Eh, show was alright, i'd give it at 7. I thought the begining was a bit boring, but the middle up before the second timeskip was much better than the rest.

not something i'd ever want to rewatch though.

Not a fan of how they used their powers, or the lack of actually using them.

As for the homosexual stuff, not sure why that was a big deal at the time, there was like one episode devoted to it and a few scenes afterward but then it's practically ignored entirely.

And the explanation for why the "fiend" could kill didn't really make sense.

Pretty much means any of them could kill if they just got brainwashed into believing they weren't attacking humans.
TylerrJul 21, 2015 12:12 AM
Jul 21, 2015 3:07 AM

Feb 2013
Tylerr said:
Eh, show was alright, i'd give it at 7. I thought the begining was a bit boring, but the middle up before the second timeskip was much better than the rest.

As for the homosexual stuff, not sure why that was a big deal at the time, there was like one episode devoted to it and a few scenes afterward but then it's practically ignored entirely.

And the explanation for why the "fiend" could kill didn't really make sense.

Pretty much means any of them could kill if they just got brainwashed into believing they weren't attacking humans.

the last part istn true. death feedback kills you if you think you kill your own species. since she grew up with the rats and didnt even hava a mirror + she was a kind at young age so she belived her "fake parents" that she is 1 of them.

Jul 22, 2015 9:45 PM

Sep 2013
Wow it took then 10 years to have their first child. Lol

Pretty entertaining anime overall. There are a lot of plotholes and unanswered questions but that was kinda expected since this is a sci-fi anime so there are bound to be made up shit. The plotwist in the end seems stupid though, why bother changing their genetic code when you can just slaughter them.

The art and animation was pretty bad but it got a little better overtime. The explosions still sucks though.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 22, 2015 9:50 PM

Sep 2013
Smooki said:
Tylerr said:

And the explanation for why the &quot;fiend&quot; could kill didn't really make sense.

the last part istn true. death feedback kills you if you think you kill your own species. since she grew up with the rats and didnt even hava a mirror + she was a kind at young age so she belived her &quot;fake parents&quot; that she is 1 of them.

You totally missed his point. What he is saying is that if you brainwashed a human into believing he is not killing a human then its possible to kill other people. Which kinda makes sense. It was not also clear how Shun killed people but he didnt die from the death feedback even though he clearly knew he killed his own parents.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 27, 2015 2:45 PM

Mar 2014
Good shit

Solid 8/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 3, 2015 3:22 PM
Aug 2015
Something absolutely new, original, intriguing adventure, was holding me untill the end while marathoned for 2 days. Not a fan of yaoi or yuri since fanservice and fujioshis ruining current anime, but in this context..it was logical and brung me deeper into the atmosphere, especially in the scenes where students where shown during breaks all paired with same sex and in romantic actions. Just last episode Shun and Satoru where cool guys, the next - they hold hands like a pair of faggots(yes, I dislike such thing and can't do anything). This gave a feeling of a real utopia, not just flying cars and tall glass buildings and everybody with cybernetic eyes with FPS shooters HUD, but a different society on the mental level. I could've put it on the same level as Code Geass, because of how both attract into the story and the big world, which goes far beyond their village. I laughed at the moment when Saki saw her beloved Shun and Satoru kissing and felt NTR-ed, then like a normal girl run away to cry to her bestfriend, furthermore she chose to f*ck(kiss and oppai groping and oppai-face-burying) her, basically did the same. Some episodes felt boring, but not bad, rather good. The wars and battles made everything splendid for me, here is war, there is love, and then blood, sacrifices, etc. A story including many moments, making it one of the best for me. P.S. when saw SakixSatoru was in full mode "yes yes yes yes", it was obviously that an end like that would happen, but after all those deaths and suffering kinda lost fate, but I'm happy that it ended on a good portait of hope and happiness.
AlestairAug 3, 2015 3:28 PM
Aug 3, 2015 4:03 PM
Oct 2013
Just goes to show what humans will do to be on top...
Aug 9, 2015 3:13 PM
Jul 2015
I haven't seen something like this before, sadly. ;) This show was really good for me, story plot was intriguing and I really liked the characters =D Maybe animations weren't as good as in other animes but still enough. Ending was satisfying and gives something to think about afterall :P My overall rating is 8/10 :]
Aug 10, 2015 5:43 AM

Jun 2014
meh, wasn't really my thing, 1/10

overrated imo
alpha_shadowOct 24, 2015 2:54 AM
:3
Aug 10, 2015 6:33 AM
Jul 2010
There was no happy ending. The cantus users are evil in my eyes and they only confirmed it by what they did to the regular people. Disturbing ending.
Aug 18, 2015 1:32 AM

Oct 2010
Xynic said:
It was not also clear how Shun killed people but he didnt die from the death feedback even though he clearly knew he killed his own parents.

Been awhile since I watched the series but if my memory serves me correctly Shun didn't kill his parents. Perhaps you're thinking of the girl who became a Karma Demon in the past?

The reason she (and Shun if he in fact did) could kill their parents is because they were Karma Demon's.

Karma Demon's basically have zero control over their subconscious which causes them to pretty much completely and uncontrollably warp reality around them. They wouldn't get death feedback from this since it's not them killing people, it's their subconscious mind.
Aug 18, 2015 11:57 AM
Dec 2014
obvious
Aug 22, 2015 8:08 PM
Oct 2014
I have just finished this anime, and didn't expect it to be so predictable.

Few things I hate about this anime :

1.Emotionless and unbalanced face (especially the eyes) .

2.The execution for Maria and Mamoru's death.Let's be realistic,It is impossible for Squeler to have such a convenient way to have their child. They escaped before Squeler had any information about them. Here is something I read about this execution:
Squealer helps Maria and Mamoru escape. Furthermore, he lets them stay and live with the colony.
Squealer waits for (or sweet-talks) Maria and Mamoru into having a child.
Once the child is born, Squealer (and/or his fellow rats) kills Maria and Mamoru.
They take the child and raise him/her. ("him" in the Novel, "her" in the Anime)
Squealer then takes the bones of Maria and Mamoru and gives them to the ethics committee.

If this is true in the novel, then I've lost all the respect for the writer for create such an ugly plot device.

3. Saki turned into a typical shounen mainchar at the last episodes.

4. The last conversation between Saki, Satoru and Squealer, quite genetic and cringe. I feel like the writer try to add more deep and complexity into Squealer's character but too lazy to do it right.

5. The homo kiss scenes, so fucking gross!

6. The predictable ending, I feel like almost every animes I've watched struggle at this.

Btw I really enjoyed the show, just a bit disappointed at some unnecessary flaws. This show has an amazing plot, I remembered I was so hype when the first plot twist revealed at eps 4 or 5.

6.7/10
minhquan0Aug 22, 2015 8:32 PM
Aug 23, 2015 9:17 AM

Oct 2008
Thiss_grll said:

I have to quote this because I can't agree with this more and there isn't a like button.

Things were a little confusing when it began but it just kept getting better. I absolutely loved the world-building, the slow revealing of truths and development of the relationship between Saki and Satoru.

Episode 10 made the biggest impact on me and left me in tears. Even listening to the OST track that was played during that scene is enough to trigger feelings. Also, ED1 is A+.

I feel so empty now after completing the series. ;_; I'm glad though that I finally got myself to watch it. I knew that this show would be great because of Kishi Yusuke but I left it in my Plan To Watch list for way too long.

Overall despite the sometimes-obvious lack of animation budget, it was an amazing ride that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Aug 24, 2015 3:31 PM

May 2010
I am just... speechless. It was hinted before that bakenezumi used to be human, but I thought they were cantus users in actuality. But no, the writer was one step ahead, and gave us this punch in the name of "them being non-cantus humans" I just... wow. That's... phenomenal. I have no words. I knew something was coming in the last episode and I am just so glad I endured spoilers. It's just so rewarding...

In the end, neither of them was right. It's stories like these which make you think. Some problems have more than one solutions, but by choosing one or another you might end up hurting certain people.

In the end, I believe this novel was written in an attempt to make people open their eyes. Really, it's not that different from our own world. Rich people want the poor to serve them, but if they dare complain, who knows they might be given a death penalty. Really, it works like that. That's why the poor tend to become flattering just to earn something extra from their masters. When Squealer said, "'you guys are good to us only when we make you happy" I felt this pain. He wasn't wrong... that was it. Saki understood that better than anyone. I just really like how she develop throughout the story.

When Squealer made his plea "to call him a human" and everyone laughed, something inside me died down. Because no one was really at fault in that scene. For one perspective, Squealer was right and from another, the humans. The one reality is, the people who knew about the meaning behind Squealer actions, felt a pain-- namely Saki and Satoru as well. When they revealed that humans and the "bakenezumi" share chromosomes, and that the cantus users reprogrammed their dna only to break the death feedback rule, I lost it. I was literally shaking... and just. It was mind-blowing.

Another amazing thing was, the scenes at the end. They touched my heart and I just... felt like weeping. Except that I couldn't of-course. I was literally shaking, I still am...

This anime opened my eyes. I learned something. The message by Saki, that letter was so beautiful... This anime should be shown everywhere just because of that, that alone makes it worth it (not trying to say the rest is bad or anything. It's the opposite) It shows all kinds of horrible sides of humans, and it doesn't go easy in any aspect. That alone makes it a 10/10 in my eyes. Combine with that world-building, all kinds of plot twists, deep characters, amazing soundtrack, great art (and occasional amazing, fluid animation) I just... Take all my money and my points and whatever you want. Seriously.
Aug 31, 2015 3:09 AM

Feb 2013
Frigidcold said:

If anyone could enlighten me about what was so thought-provoking about this show, I'd love to know. All the ideas that I could glean weren't exactly new.

1. The rat slaves, who were humans, but because they lost the wars, they got changed into these rat humans. They tried to free themselves, like it happaned often in the past in many countries.

2. that the future goes more and more into the direction, that the avarage human gets controlled. Same is in psycho pass for example. We are already reducing the freedom for a lower crime rate. The control increases by much every few years.

3. humans werent stupid in this show + the time skips were important, every small detail had a meaning (kids vanishing, because they are dangerous individuals who break rules and can become karma demons, if rats kill a human their whole colony gets destroyed, saki had a sister who got disposed of and the parents know it, memory altering, even the homo scenes was actually because of the plot... ep 4 explenation.....)

Sep 10, 2015 6:00 AM
May 2015
I'm speechless. This is one of the best shows I've ever watched. Amazing. 10/10
Sep 16, 2015 6:57 AM

Nov 2013
Slow beginning aside. This stuff is cool especially till episodes 21. Psychobuster arc (22-till end) is somewhat bother me because It's kinda dragged and even though I'm relieved the conclusion is not dissapointing. The art was alright but the animation could be bad at times. The music is easily the best part of the show. Like it. The characters which many people criticize much about being one/two dimensional doesn't bother me because I think the show is only just about saki's development and the distopian world. All in all this is pretty show but it could be shorter instead of 25 episodes.
DannyTheDonkeySep 16, 2015 7:01 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 4, 2015 8:58 AM

Jul 2014
easily a 10/10 show for me. So glad I watched this.

I will remember this show for a long long time from now, pretty sure this beautiful anime will have a special place in my heart.
How do I signature?
Oct 4, 2015 10:58 AM

Jan 2014
Strange anime.
Slowburner, yes, but even when things got serious, things still felt kinda dragged. But I don't think that's a bad thing, really, it's just that the show prefered more on telling things with a visional language, rather than mere action.

I will remember this show, really, I will remember this little group of friends who sadly encountered a sad and depressing fate, not being able to enjoy their happy moments for long...

The saddest thing was what happened to Maria and Mamoru.

And cheers to Squealer/Yakomaru. One hell of a villain.
The things he schemed were horrible, but still, wasn't he that wrong?
Oct 6, 2015 12:18 AM

Feb 2015
Pretty good but didn't like the show as much after the time skip. The use of Shun's character this late into the series was cheap.
Oct 7, 2015 8:09 PM

Aug 2015
The story and background is one of the best I've ever came across. 10/10 for sure!

So in the end, it was actually the scientists who were the most ruthless out of the 4 groups of survivors. Turning all the non-PK humans into queerrats.
NiNjA_kOct 7, 2015 8:24 PM
Oct 7, 2015 9:20 PM

Jul 2012
NiNjA_k said:
So in the end, it was actually the scientists who were the most ruthless out of the 4 groups of survivors. Turning all the non-PK humans into queerrats.
I agree! What was really cool about this show was that they had the "enemies" and "final boss" but we all really know that humans are the most gruesome and evil out of everyone

devinder said:
Pretty good but didn't like the show as much after the time skip. The use of Shun's character this late into the series was cheap.
It was foreshadowed from the start, though.
Oct 8, 2015 12:25 PM

Jun 2013
Just marathoned this and I haven't seen such an epic anime in a long time. 10/10 for me.
Oct 11, 2015 7:08 AM

Jan 2013
What a story.
Halfway through the show I found it a bit hard to keep myself intrigued but that quickly passed.
I'm glad that Saki managed to let Squealer end his suffering, knowing how screwed the entire society is / has been, making non-Cantus users into queerats just so they had the option of killing them without any death feedback.

One thing that stood out from the amazing story telling (obviously) was the music, it's just so good, maybe not memorable but it fit so many scenes and made it so much better :)

9/10, would've been 10/10 if it didnt feel dragged out at some points.

*Quick to note; shame people dropped or thought less of the show because of a few yaoi/yuri scenes, even when it was explained why they were so casual about it in the show.
PrOxAntoOct 11, 2015 7:14 AM
Oct 16, 2015 7:00 AM
Jun 2014
Well that was disappointing. The plot holes, inconsistencies, stupidity and lack of depth in the characters made this a very frustrating watch. I should have ignored the people who said it gets better and just dropped this. The show introduces nice concepts and then never goes into any depth. The atmosphere of the show, mainly due to the soundtrack was the best part. The saddest part is how much potential it had.
Oct 19, 2015 10:54 PM

Oct 2010
myronator said:
The plot holes.

You know, I really wish people would stop claiming this. Either their lack of understanding or not catching some detail does not make something a plot hole.....or hell, just take 5 minutes to look up these supposed plot holes, they're constantly pointed out for this series and are constantly explained by those that actually paid attention.
Oct 19, 2015 10:56 PM

Nov 2013
SimmianPrime said:
myronator said:
The plot holes.

You know, I really wish people would stop claiming this. Either their lack of understanding or not catching some detail does not make something a plot hole.....or hell, just take 5 minutes to look up these supposed plot holes, they're constantly pointed out for this series and are constantly explained by those that actually paid attention.

+10000000
Pages (27) « First ... « 19 20 [21] 22 23 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.