Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 22, 2013 4:29 AM

Jan 2011

Genres: Drama, Gender Bender, Music, Psychological, Romance, Tragedy

Summary: A seventeen years old prodigy violinist whose obsessed with perfection, Mizuki Nakumaru, is nothing but a puppet to her Father. Obeying his every command he's ignorant about her silent hatred that's built up over the years. On a quest to find the truth and destroy everything her Father loves, she's bid her time calmly looking for the perfect moment to strike. But things aren't going the way she planned. Mizuki is hiding some secrets of her own, secrets that could shatter the line between memories and reality. And there are those who will do anything to get back the Mizuki from when she used to smile. Where does she go from here? Fall in love and let go of the past that haunt her even in her dreams? If only things were that simple.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Chapter 1: Prologue: The Birth of Indifference

The most cherished device to a violinist are the hands that help them create a very powerful sound. They do everything to make sure their health is perfect, because injuring your hands is like destroying that small hope of becoming a professional musician. Without it, their distant and fragile dream will only always stay as a dream and become even farther to reach. For us it meant everything.

My fraternal twin brother played the violin every chance he had. It was something that caught his gaze the moment he heard it at the violin concerto we first went to as a family. It was obvious that he received a great part of his talent from Mom. Haruki just wanted the world to listen to his music, he wanted to touch the hearts of people. Nevertheless, Father only saw him as a product to produce what he wanted...no more like what he was obsessed over. "The sound of an angel" as he called it.

My Mom, she was one of those few who had bad luck. When she was a kid she was called a prodigy who enchanted those who heard her play. She'd capture your very soul. But after falling down the stairs she had to get surgery done on her right arm. The doctors said that she'd never be able to play like she used to and that if she kept overdoing herself she might not be able to play at all. Their predictions came true and her dreams shattered in just a matter of seconds.

Even though I started playing the violin before my little brother he could already play pieces from famous musicians that I still had trouble with. After seeing how much talent he had, Yoshiaki Nakumaru, my Father, did everything he could to make him famous. Which was pretty easy since he was the owner of the famous entertainment company. Nakumaru Entertainment. This company was mostly known for their classical players; violinists, pianists, flute etc. But they also took in all kinds of other musicians and even had three separate schools where Middle and High school students were able to study in their choice of Music, Theater and Fashion Design.

Both my parents were proud of him. Who wouldn't have been? Adorable and good-natured, he was loved by everyone. A sweet innocent boy who simply played the violin because of his joy for it. I only looked on from a distance but I was really happy for him. If I could get to see his laugh it was enough for me. I'd smile even if I had to force myself, I'd do anything to make sure he kept that innocence of his. However, that was just me being naïve. Haru noticed that something was wrong with me. I should have realized that he would catch on sooner or later, he's my twin after-all.

I...should have tried harder to hide the darkness that was slowly consuming me. Because of me…because of me…his existence vanished in but a split second. His smile, I wouldn't be able to see anymore. Him calling my name...his loving nature...that sweet sound he created I wouldn't be able to hear anymore. Wasn't I the big sister? Wasn't I the one who was supposed to have protected him? So...why did such a thing have to happen? That one time I thought it would be okay if I teased my cute little brother. I never thought it would have ended up like that. When he reached out his hand to me I wasn't able to reach it. I'm certain he resents me for it. He died before ever reaching the age of sixteen, before falling in love, before getting into Junior High, before making friends, before seeing his dream he cherished more than anything become reality. Like Mom he wouldn't ever be able to pick up the violin again.

And then...that's when everything started to fall apart. Piece by piece my soul was ripped apart from me. My eldest brother Katsuhiko threw away his family and friends to become an actor, relinquishing his right to the successor of the company. My little brother Akihiko had become even more distant from me. I knew that they both blamed me for this family's distant relationship.

I had suddenly become the next in line to take over the company. Even though it was supposed to be my little brother Father said that he was too immature and that I needed to start taking responsibility as the one to carry on the family's name. Not only that, but he also wanted me to practice the violin so that I could one day become as good as my brother was. I trained endlessly in many things. I had a personal tutor for the violin, for school, for business and even learned how to play other instruments to widen my different styles of sound.

My Mom tried to help me cope with the high expectations from my demanding father. She made playing the violin which had become more like a chore to me, enjoyable. I found happiness...that was the biggest mistake I had ever made. As I started to perfect my techniques even she became more distant. But that wasn't the only reason... I should have been more careful around her, especially when he was watching. If only I had practiced my violin more and not spent all my time with her...if only I took it more serious...if only...but when did I stop smiling all together? When did I start saying, "if only"? Again, he took away what meant everything to me. Again...I did nothing but let go of the hand that had given me warmth.

My 15th birthday party, three years after Haru's death mom had come home from work after having been gone for a few months. She'd been ignoring me for about two years now, as if I didn't exist. As beautiful as ever, she wore a dazzling gown, accompanied by a famous pianist. Even though it was my birthday...she barely paid attention to me. She came to my party only keep up appearances, I kept thinking.

Mom, why aren't you looking at me? Please...don't leave me.

What made the pain so unbearable was that even though I saw it coming I did nothing to stop it. It's not my fault. It was her fault. Her fault. Her fault. She left me all alone in this hell. I remember standing there, looking down at my dying mother who lied face down on the cold floor. With her body slightly curled she cried out in pain. Yeah...I simply stood there and watched. With a detached expression I watched as she died.

Aren't I better than Haru now Mommy? I'm really here, aren't I?

Some people rushed out of the house, the kids cried and the parents tried to hush them, some panicked and crowded me and my Mom, who kept screaming. And others whispered and stared. "What a cold girl, she didn't even blink and it's her own mother."

Aren't you the ones to talk...I'm not the one pointing and whispering while a person was dying. Shallow. My world was nothing but filled with shallow thoughts. Don't look at me you ugly creatures. You're no better than me. "Mizuki, go to your room. You're not needed here. We will take your mother to the hospital." But maybe...the most ugliest was me.

I practiced everyday for you...since you praised me...I wanted to get better.

My father stood in front of me, his hand on my shoulder. It burned, the place he touched. It was like a searing pain, one that didn't quickly fade away even as the source of it no longer touched you but a pain that lasted for a very long time.

I bowed to him respectfully, "I understand," and left from the party. I walked around the still body and went up the stairs. You see, what no one seemed to get was that the reason I didn't panic or cry wasn't because of my indifference, it was because I didn't know how to react. What kind of expression should I have shown? Should I have cried while on my knees? Yelled for help? Should I have laughed, smiled or smirked? Those kind of emotions...I no longer knew what they were for. They were empty expressions.

You were the only one who gave me a reason. And yet...you dare to leave me?

You see, a child growing up without the warmth of a parent's hand is a very scary thing. But a child who once knew warmth and loses it, can only search for a way to survive in the cold. After Mom's death, the pressure of becoming a prodigy violinist and taking over the company increased and pushed me to do something that I knew would anger him. One night in my room I tried to get rid of the hands that they would have treasured most. I couldn't protect them. Why was it that I was able to play the violin when they couldn't anymore?Unfortunately, my attempt failed. My maid stopped me before any serious damage was done. The scar on my wrist still remains. That was the second time I tried to harm myself. The first was when Haru left me.

I understand. I understand perfectly now. This is all his fault.

Memories. Memories of laughter and happiness. Memories of playing at the park with my twin. Memories of watching the stars on top of the roof. Darkness. Darkness that shrouded those happy memories with the clear smell of blood and screams. I couldn't forget even if I wanted to. Because of this cursed ability to remember things after just seeing it once, I was plagued with the images of their corpse. Their eyes that looked at nothing, their pale skin and cold hands and the blood that poured down from their body to my feet, then and till now, stained my vision. This was the melody of my nightmares.

That night I made a promise to myself, that I would do everything and anything it took to destroy the Nakumura, to destroy everything my Father raised and was obsessed with. Including myself. Steadily, I lost the part of me who knew how to love, the most important emotion that was needed to create breathtaking music. Losing grasp of the dream I wanted to protect, I also lost those sweet memories I had with the one who was my other half. When Haru left this world, he took a part of me with him.

I could only hate. No, even hatred was buried somewhere deep and only showed its form when it was something about Yoshiaki Nakumaru. This indifference of mine had stilled my heart. And to move my heart again would be nearly impossible. At least...that's what I thought.
YukiTsubakiMar 23, 2013 10:59 PM
Mar 22, 2013 5:21 AM
Mar 2013
Wow. That's some excellent writing there! When's the next part coming out?
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

Mar 22, 2013 7:40 PM

Jan 2011
@Dunois - Thank you very much. I'm glad you think so. ^_^
The next chapter is below. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2: The Heart that Doesn't Beat

Mizuki: Friday at 7:21 am: This never-ending dream...

"Did Dad get mad at you again?"

I'm always chasing after your shadow. That silhouette that stood before the moon, if you wanted I'm sure you could reach out and hold it in your hand. And yet...everything slips through my fingers, like the lotus flower you once gave me, its petals I'm unable to grasp.

"No matter what, I'll take your side! We're twins after all!"

My sweet, sweet Haruki. Without you...how am I able to still breathe? Sometimes I'm glad that I have a photographic memory, because I get to see your smiling face calling out to me so vividly when I want to. But at other times, I curse it, because I can clearly remember the love and hatred I felt for you. You'd gather everyone around you with your cheerful personality. They'd laugh and praise you at what a good girl you were. Like our names...you were the sun, while I was the moon living in your shadow.

Mizuki! Mizuki! I love you!"

And then...I found it. My dream. My reality. In order to keep you hear with me, I'll imitate your very existence. I'll love the person you loved. I'll smile the way you did. I'll play the songs you played. I'll die the way you died. I hated you...but I loved you even more. And yet...I couldn't save you.

"Promise you won't let go..."

On top of a tall building, I looked down into nothingness. I was twelve years old. Was this another dream? I couldn't tell the difference between the memories of you I have and dreams. It was dark, the brightness of the moon gave me enough vision to see where I was. Suddenly, that light disappeared. The wind blew hard, and without hesitation I leaned forward with my eyes closed. Ahhh...so this was how birds feel when they fly? That strong gust of wind...it could take me anywhere I wanted and what I wanted most I couldn't allow myself to have. At least, not yet.

Gasping, I opened my eyes to me big, empty room. A dream? It felt so real...I held the bed sheets close to my bare skin, over my thumping heart. No...it was that same dream I used to have when I was a kid. Not a dream. A nightmare. After so long, I wonder why it came back now. It must be because I'm so close to getting what I want. Taking a deep breath, I stood, with the sheets curling around me. Only the big bed in the middle with white and red sheets, my study desk, the shower room, a tall mirror, my school uniform hanging on the wall and the violin that sat next to it, occupied my room. It was all I needed. Becoming attached to objects, meant attaching yourself to earth. To living. And that was something I didn't need.

Knock. Knock. "Miss...it's time for school." My maid said in a big, panicked voice from outside the door.

"I'll be down in a few minutes." I walked over to the balcony door, dragging the sheets with me and gazed up at the sun. Blocking its brightness with my hand didn't so much because I could still see through the gaps between my fingers. Another clear day. Not a cloud in sight. Great, looks like the meeting won't get canceled after all...and when I thought it would rain today. A crappy forecast. How tiring, I should resign from the student council...but if I do, he'll probably give me another lecture about taking responsibility.

I dropped the bed sheets. It pooled around my feet and I stepped over it to get my uniform. A customized black and red uniform with strips on the skirt. The white ribbons in my hair fell to ground, revealing my long and wavy black hair. Lazily combing it through with my fingers, I took one last passing glance at the mirror after grabbing my violin and made my way downstairs.

Mizuki: Friday at 1:48 pm: During class, the clouds are gathering.

"Stooooop! Stop, stop, stop!" Asami yelled. She stood in front of the class and banged her hand against the board behind her in anger. Almost everyone jumped in fright. She sighed, exasperated. "There's only two months left until students are to be chosen for the music competition and the Principal is especially looking forward to those who will be participating from this class... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure plenty of time has passed since I've assigned this piece for you guys practice?"

No one said anything. I sat at the desk next to the window, leaned back in my desk. I drowned out the voices in class by listening to the sound of the rain. It was amazing how the weather can change so fast. Looks like a storm is coming after all, which means no student council meeting.

"Then...what excuse do you have Yumia, to make such a stupid mistake? It's a simple part. Gradually increase the tempo at the right timing...what's so difficult about that?"

Yumia stood there, stunned and in the next few seconds tears started to fall. "Hic...hic..sniff..."

I wonder if it'll clear up a little by tonight. I should practice a little here at the soundproof room before I go home. The soundproof room is a room prepared to let students practice when they needed. There are some conditions. One, you have to sign up for a room before school starts and write what time you want to use it for that day. It's first come, first serve. Second, you can only use the room for two hours. And three, members of the student council have the privilege to use it when they wish to. Yes, even if it is full. There are seventeen rooms placed randomly around the school and two outside of the school, in that three-story building that is used for specially talented students.

"Oh spare me! Don't think that crying will get you off easily this time! Listen here little brats, this is a famous school for students who are aspiring to become future musicians, if you're going to be such crybabies then go home NOW! Don't you dare make me look bad." She muttered to herself about how she didn't have to time to be babysitting while walking back and forth in a straight line, her heels making a clicky, click sound that annoyed me to no end.

...I want to use the room next to the Library on the second floor...it was the best place to play my violin. I liked it there.

Asami sighed again, this time she surprisingly (not!) turned towards me. "Nakumura-San, could you please show her how to play that part correctly? You're the only one here I can actually count on in this class." Besides her flashy outfit, her voice also made me shiver...with disgust.

With my violin in one hand and the bow in another, I stood up pushing back my chair, and picked up my case. It was laid against the back of my chair. I placed my violin and bow carefully inside and looked at the teacher, who was, by the way, puzzled at what I was doing. While getting my things ready, I said to her without looking up, "I doubt that anything I show her will help in the least if she can't even play that piece correctly. However...as a music instructor shouldn't you be the one instructing, and not the student? With that said, it shows what level of "professionalism" you're on. Before you start scolding your own students, I'd worry more about what you're going to do about your career as a musician, Asami "Sensei". From what I've heard, lately you haven't been doing so good...I'm sorry to say, but I don't think you're fit to teach us anything when you can't even properly secure your career as a singer. You should resign, or you'll make yourself look bad."

Most of the teachers here are either famous or professional musicians. Asami Keiko, known simply as Keiko, was a famous singer and one of the best known dance choreographers, but because of her violent performance in an interview that happened two months ago, requests for her to sing and other things included have stopped coming in. How do I know that? Well, I am the daughter of the person who owns the company she has a contract with her after-all...more like almost all the teachers here have a contract with the Nakumaru Entertainment (abbreviated NKE). NKE is already considering what to do with Keiko. The only reason why they're hesitating is because she has a five-year contract with them, and is only on her third year.

Shocked, the teacher looked at me with her mouth wide open. "Where are you going Nakumura? Class isn't over yet!"

"Student council meeting." I'm only going there to make sure the others know that the meeting is canceled...but whatever. I walked out the class, and the other students scurried after me, laughing as she yelled and pointed for us to come back.

"Way to go Pres!" Ryuu said as he passed me out in the hallway. He winked his eyes and smiled. Ryuu, full name Ryuusei, was also in the student council. He barely comes to meetings though, for personal reasons.

I went to a private school called Koeteyume (Beyond Dreams), for students who wish to have a career as a musician. Koeteyume was a branch school of NKE and had a total of nine schools around Japan that is part of that branch, so it's pretty much hard to get in and nearly impossible for "commoners". And of course, there's also two other departments that NKE owns, Theater and Fashion Design.

The school had on-campus living and was also separated from Junior High to High School. So kids from age eleven to eighteen studied here and those between nineteen and twenty-two had the chance to take extra lessons as an assistant/tutor while going to college or making their debut. Most of the students who graduated from here, either go on to make their dreams of becoming famous come true, or pursue the idea of helping other students reaching their dreams (becoming a teacher here). The classes were split by your personal grades, and your level of talent in whatever subject you focused on. Of course I was in the top class. At the end of the year, there's a test to determine what class you'll be in the start of the new school year. There are rare cases of when a student does so bad, the teacher sends them to a lower lever class. That's was how Koeteyume's system worked.

Me and my little brother have been going here ever since Junior High. So it isn't rare for classmates to have known each other for over a long period of time. Almost everyone in my class has been together since then. Only two students have been dropped from the top class since then. I don't really care about that though. That is, unless they can be of use to me.

Haruki: Friday Night at 8:12 pm: I wish this night would never end.

"Haru! Do you want anything to drink?" He asked me from behind the bar, while opening the mini-fridge.

I smiled at Ryuu, and shook my head. "Maybe later. How about we play another round before everyone else comes?" With my head down on the table, I followed his movements as he took out a soda and drank, waiting for his reply.

"You're challenging me even though you know what the results will be?"

I mumbled, "You might never know."

He took off his apron, and pushed the small door open. "Alright then. I accept!" He threw his apron on the counter. "Old men, is that okay with you?"

"I'll call you if things get busy." His Dad, without looking at us, answered.

Before we could make it through to the back door, we were stopped twice by his fans. Ryuu was really popular. He had that prince quality about him, which reminded me of someone. Blue eyes, and brownish-red long hair, 5'11 in height and a nice build that would shame any men. If only he would shave his beard...then again I guess that's also part of his charm. With it, he looks like he's in his late twenties, when he's only eighteen years old...about a year older than me. But because of family situations in the past, he started junior high a year late.

We finally made it to the back room. It was a big private room that we used to play pool, there were two pool tables, one large sofa, and some chairs. "It's almost eight. Aren't they a bit late today?"

Ryuu grabbed two pool sticks and threw one to me. "Who knows, they probably got lost or something..."

"Knowing Jun, that could happen." I smiled.

Ryuu grinned and blew at the tip. "True...How about we make a deal? If I put the eight ball in by the...lets see...third try? Then you have to tell me what school you go to." He stared at me and waited.

I hesitated... "Ryuu...that's..." That's right, even though we've known each other for three months now, we didn't know much about each other. We only met here on Fridays. But that was how things were with us five. More like, it was a silent rule between us, to not ask each other about our private lives. The only thing I knew about Ryuu, was that his Dad owned this bar, and that was the only way we were able to hang out here.

At least...that's what I pretend to only know.

"What? Scared?" He asked me in a low voice. He was angry. Maybe because he thought I couldn't trust him. "Or...is it that you're hiding something from me? Something that you don't want me to know?"

I couldn't say anything to that, because it was true. Why did he want to know so much about me? The friendship we had now, it was all we needed. When I thought that this silence was dangerous if it carried on any longer, the door opened and in came the other three.

"Boo! You guys are already playing without me? How cruuuueeeel." Jun pouted. "Let me play, let me play, let me plaaaay!" He walked over to me and begged, yanking on my arm. He was the youngest here, at fifteen years old. The other two were sixteen.

"There's another table you know." Kaoru said, pushing up his glasses. He went to the couch and sat down with his legs crossed.

Kei laid down on the couch, with his head on Kaouru's lap, closed his eyes and folded his arms. "Kaoru, you know how attached Jun is to Haruki. So let him play, you haven't even started the game yet."

Kaoru pushed Kei off his lap, and he fell on the floor with a thump. That must have hurt... "I agree with what he said, Ryuu."

Ryuu glared at Kaoru, "Only a few seconds ago you were saying how there's another table."

"Did I now?" Kaoru turned his head away.

"If we're talking about attachments...I'd say you and Kei are..." Kaoru threw a eight-ball with ease at Ryuu before he could finish. Fortunately, with Ryuu's fast reflexes he was able to dodged...and the eight-ball got stuck in the wall behind him. I laughed so hard that I had to cover my moth not to be heard from where the customers were.

This was how it was like every Friday. We'd laze around and chat about useless stuff, forgetting anything and everything to do with our lives. Escaping reality.

"Alright, alright. Why are you guys late anyways?" Ryuu asked.

"Oh...Jun..." Kaoru and Kei said at the same time.

"Hahaha, I knew that Jun must have pulled you guys somewhere else and got you lost. He really is directionally challenged!" Ryuu laughed hard, clutching his stomach. Jun blushed and yelled at him, Kei tried to climb back on the couch while going, "Ouch, ouch" and Kaoru ignored him.

I wish that night-time had more hours.

The only thing they knew about me, was that I was a seventeen years old boy who loved playing the violin, with brown short hair and uncanny gray eyes. And for some reason, maybe because I was more sensitive on nights like these, guilt had climbed its way in my conscious. Ryuu...I'm sorry that I can't tell you the truth...I know you worry for me at times...but it's for the best. If you knew the real me, a kind guy like you wouldn't even glance my way. Or maybe you'd pity me. Which was something I didn't want to see coming from you. Besides...this is part of my atonement...for him...it was all I could think of doing.

In order to keep you hear with me, I'll imitate your very existence. I'll love the person you loved. I'll smile the way you did. I'll play the songs you played. I'll die the way you died.

No...it was my hidden obsession. An obsession I had over not being able to let go of the only person my heart would beat for.
YukiTsubakiMar 23, 2013 9:23 PM
Mar 23, 2013 2:08 AM
Mar 2013
Wow this is going really well!

Next chapter?
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

More topics from this board

» People who don't believe that there is anything wrong with western entertainment and influence.

kratos960203 - Apr 19

28 by Ex-Aid »»
6 hours ago

» Made An Anime Youtube Video thoughts?

panque - Yesterday

1 by TheMechaManiac »»
Yesterday, 11:43 AM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

361 by panque »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Anime hoodies - New brand

abambata - Apr 13

3 by abambata »»
Yesterday, 7:47 AM

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

3 by abambata »»
Yesterday, 7:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.