Forum Settings
Forums

GAINAX To Animate Four-panel Manga 'Sadon-Desu'

New
Mar 20, 2013 11:57 PM

Feb 2008
GAINAX has announced an anime adaptation of the four-panel manga "Sadon-Desu" at Tokyo International Anime Fair 2013.

Sadon-Desu manga official website

"Sadon-Desu" has been serialized by Noir (the wife of Yamaga Hiroyuki, the President of GAINAX) in Weekly Young Magazine since November 2012. It's a slice-of-life about high school girls who belong to a Sadõ (Japanese tea ceremony) club.

GAINAX also announced two original anime: "Akubi wo Suru niwa Wake ga Aru," which is about a diving girl, and "Tenshi Yoho ~Strange Weathers~" which is a CGI anime movie.

Key visual of Akubi wo Suru niwa Wake ga Aru
Key visual of Tenshi Yoho

Source: Picture of GAINAX panel at TAF2013, Mainichi
NaruleachNov 8, 2014 6:03 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 21, 2013 12:02 AM

Sep 2012
The panel in the picture is too small to tell it is about Sadon-Desu.

Given there is just one volume out, it is certain that it is going to be short anime of 3min or 5min length.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 21, 2013 12:14 AM
Oct 2010
More of this stuff lol
Mar 21, 2013 12:17 AM

Aug 2011
dtshyk said:
It's a slice of life of high school girls who belong to Sadõ (Japanese tea ceremony) club.
That's all I need to read to drop my big fat nope on this one.
Mar 21, 2013 12:25 AM

Aug 2008
Way too many girl high school clubs. I don't think even Gainax can turn this cliche into something good.
AntanaruMar 21, 2013 3:52 AM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 21, 2013 12:28 AM

Feb 2012
Character designs aren't that appealing to me...
Mar 21, 2013 12:36 AM

Sep 2012
DraconisMarch said:
dtshyk said:
It's a slice of life of high school girls who belong to Sadõ (Japanese tea ceremony) club.
That's all I need to read to drop my big fat nope on this one.
And all for the better. Banishment this world!

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 21, 2013 12:40 AM

Nov 2007
dtshyk said:

This interests me.

It also has Pleiades Movie and Akubi anime.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 21, 2013 12:43 AM

Jan 2011

What are the two anime in the back behind this and Pleiades?
VioLinkAug 3, 2013 10:29 AM
[center]
Mar 21, 2013 12:45 AM

Aug 2012
Sounds generic. Maybe I'll pass on this one
Mar 21, 2013 12:58 AM

Nov 2011
Another upcoming title from Gainax? Oh boy.
Mar 21, 2013 1:51 AM

Mar 2011
More 4 panel manga getting animated, lol.
Mar 21, 2013 1:52 AM
Jul 2008
I love how people asume it's generic just because it's a female highschool club...
I'm not saying this particular anime won't probably be exactly what they are expecting, but there has been countless very different anime which central theme could be framed in "XXXXX highschool club". Not to mention a myriad of sports anime are just about a certain school baseball/tennis/mahjong/whatever club. Chihayafuru is in a sense a slice of life (as well as a romance, but that doesn't make it less SoL) about a highschool karuta club, yet it's vastly different to anyof the shows you guys are probably complaining about.
Anyway.

Probably not watching this since I don't trust Gainax much... Also the drawing for some reason make me think of unpolished hentai doujins (totally random comment).
Mar 21, 2013 1:52 AM

Jul 2009
Premature? ANN reports the following:

Saito also clarified that although Gainax displayed a poster of its Sadon-Desu collaboration with manga creator Kyo Hatsuki at TAF, an anime has not been announced or green-lit.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Mar 21, 2013 3:36 AM

Sep 2012
arsonal said:
Premature? ANN reports the following:

Saito also clarified that although Gainax displayed a poster of its Sadon-Desu collaboration with manga creator Kyo Hatsuki at TAF, an anime has not been announced or green-lit.
Not sure about ANN but the national newspaper Mainichi reports this as a new anime:

http://mantan-web.jp/2013/03/21/20130321dog00m200035000c.html

Mar 21, 2013 3:40 AM

Oct 2008
gainax ain't what they used to be
Mar 21, 2013 3:41 AM

Sep 2012
Stark700 said:
Another upcoming title from Gainax? Oh boy.
SIX altogether to be precise.

VioLink said:

What are the two anime in the back behind this and Pleiades?
The blue one to the left is named "Akubi wo suru niwa wake ga aru" which is an original anime about diving in a world with raised sea level. The one to the right is named "天使予報 the strange weathers" Not sure what it is about. There is also a panel named "Wizard the musical".

Mar 21, 2013 3:49 AM

Jul 2009
Well, it looks like everything Gainax displayed (except for Pleiades) is pretty much prototype work to solicit support. Essentially they would like to make the anime if they can gather funding.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Mar 21, 2013 4:06 AM

May 2012
Really, Gainax? Really? -_-

The guys who did FLCL, Evangelion and Gurren Lagann are now doing the most generic slice-of-life moe high school anime. Do the Japanese never tire of this genre? >.<

I bet they're just doing this to make a quick buck for their REAL next project!
Mar 21, 2013 4:24 AM

Sep 2012
SteampunkDalek said:

The guys who did FLCL, Evangelion and Gurren Lagann are now doing the most generic slice-of-life moe high school anime. Do the Japanese never tire of this genre? >.<
Don't you know last year they already did a LN adaptation named Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian that many say is quite generic?

And slice-of-life high school anime.. nothing wrong about it. I don't mind seeing more of it.

Mar 21, 2013 4:54 AM
Mar 2010
Unless it's like Kotoura-san, I'm not watching it. I have nothing against girls in clubs/slice of life but I need a break from cute girls doing cute things. Which is why Kotoura-san was a very refreshing SoL.
Right now, I don't see any sense of originality in it, plus it's probably going to be a 3-5 minute anime.
If it's a full length anime I'll give it a chance though.

Symbv, you said that in Mainichi Newspaper, this was announced as an anime wheras in ANN it said it had still not been green-lit. What about the other anime Akubi o Suru?
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Mar 21, 2013 4:59 AM

Sep 2012
phoenixalia said:
Symbv, you said that in Mainichi Newspaper, this was announced as an anime wheras in ANN it said it had still not been green-lit. What about the other anime Akubi o Suru?
Mainichi said Gainax is to start work on 6 titles and these include Sadon-Desu as well as Akubi wo Suru niwa Wake ga aru, the latter one being an original anime.

phoenixalia said:
Right now, I don't see any sense of originality in it, plus it's probably going to be a 3-5 minute anime.
Well, I have yet to see an anime based on the Way of Tea (Sado) so it looks fresh to me. Just like the hiking in Yama no Susume. And I love how it mixes hiking with SoL and cute girls.
symbvMar 21, 2013 5:11 AM

Mar 21, 2013 5:00 AM
Sep 2012
Gainax's version of Aki, Frau and the never dying Yamada right here lol.
Mar 21, 2013 5:06 AM
Mar 2010
symbv said:
Mainichi said Gainax is to start work on 6 titles and these include Sadon-Desu as well as Akubi wo Suru niwa Wake ga aru, the latter one being an original anime.

thanks. I'm so looking forward to Akubi wo Suru.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Mar 21, 2013 6:59 AM

Feb 2012
Gainax?........will watch
Mar 21, 2013 9:12 AM

Oct 2007
I definitely miss the days when Gainax did those larger than life mecha anime like Gunbuster, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and even Evangelion. Even Sunrise and I.G have eventually made their way back to the sort of stuff they were associated with after brief stints of experimentation. I think if Gainax hadn't lost the Evangelion license they'd have done something with it by now but with so much of the old staff and licenses gone I guess that's it. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann now seems like it will have been the last hurrah for the classic Gainax style robot anime.

Though I suppose it's always possible this isn't how it looks and it's not the laid back uneventful slice of life story people are expecting but a high kinetic energy comedy or something, which they have been known to do well with. On the other hand the whole adapting the wifes manga thing though reeks of nepotism and a vanity project and that sort of thing very rarely turns out well. I still remember when the director of Gundam Seed allowed his wife of almost no experience to write the scripts for the majority of it's sequel and how much worse it turned out for it.

edit: I just found out about it and now I can say I honestly hold higher hopes with the diving anime, which actually does sound like one of Gainax classic coming of age themed anime.
PeacingOutMar 21, 2013 9:16 AM
Mar 21, 2013 9:17 AM

Jan 2008
Hope there's cleavage.
Mar 21, 2013 9:26 AM
Apr 2010
I read "GAINAX" and said "fuck yes". Read the whole OP and shook my head in disappointment.
Mar 21, 2013 9:55 AM

Nov 2008
I want some more information on Akubi wo Suru niwa Wake ga Aru, Sadon-Desu looks ok plus I don't think I have ever seen an anime about a tea ceremony club yet. Tenshi Yoho looks like it is not for me so I'll have to pass on that.

Mar 21, 2013 10:04 AM
Jun 2009
Isn't it just going to be Saeki and his crew again? Might be worth checking out if Kobayashi gets to direct an episode.
Mar 21, 2013 10:16 AM

Nov 2008
SteampunkDalek said:

Gainax's adaptation work has never been particularly great, so is often forgotten. (with the exception of Kare Kano, but apart from that, who remembers He is my Master? Or Mahoromatic? Or Hanamaru Kindergarten?) I imagine the main announcment here is one of the other two (Akubi wo Suru niwa Wake ga Aru and Tenshi Yoho ~Strange Weathers~), which are a footnote on this news post. We don't know much about either, other than ones shares its premise with Amanchu and the other is 3DCGI.

Also, the guys who worked on TTGL left to make masterpieces like Inferno Cop as Studio Trigger.
Rosa_FOEtidaMar 21, 2013 10:20 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 21, 2013 10:42 AM

Sep 2012
This sounds interest-
dtshyk said:
It's a slice-of-life of high school girls, who belong to Sadõ (Japanese tea ceremony) club.

..nevermind.
Mar 21, 2013 11:10 AM
Dec 2011
SteampunkDalek said:

What about Hanamaru Youchien
Mar 21, 2013 11:25 AM

Oct 2007
FOE-tan said:

Also, the guys who worked on TTGL left to make masterpieces like Inferno Cop as Studio Trigger.

I'll add that that Evangelion is now being made at Studio Khara.
all for fun.fun for all
Mar 21, 2013 3:03 PM

Jul 2009
CMONNN animate medaka TROLL ARC. QQ
Mar 21, 2013 7:37 PM

May 2010
disappointing Gainax....
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
4 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
5 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.