Forum Settings
Forums

Live Action Movie of Mobile Police Patlabor Due in 2014

New
Mar 20, 2013 9:45 PM

Feb 2008
According to the official website, a live action movie of Mobile Police Patlabor was announced to be aired in 2014.

Patlabor Next Generation official website

Source: Precepe News
myanimelistllcMar 5, 2016 12:03 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 20, 2013 9:53 PM
Nov 2012
cant wait!
Mar 20, 2013 10:18 PM

Jan 2009
with the success of Rurouni Kenshin live action movie, we might see more awesome movies like this
Mar 21, 2013 12:28 AM

Jan 2013
Swoot!

For some reason I kinda think making live action adaptations off older anime franchises (like 80's and 90's) sounds more appealing than live action off anything current from the anime industry?

Mar 21, 2013 10:07 AM

Nov 2008
for some reason i thought they had made 1 a long time ago already
Mar 21, 2013 10:37 AM

Jan 2008
j0x said:
with the success of Rurouni Kenshin live action movie, we might see more awesome movies like this

Unfortunately Kenshin movie was a stinking pile of poo, so I have no hope of this movie being any good. Japanese just don't know how to adapt their anime, it always come off cheap and hackneyed.

Unless when Takeshi Miike is doing it.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 21, 2013 10:40 AM

Sep 2012
Beatnik said:
Japanese just don't know how to adapt their anime, it always come off cheap and hackneyed.
Perhaps you can let me know who else beside the Japanese adapt the anime well? Or perhaps it is just the way Japanese like to see the adaptation anime?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 21, 2013 5:08 PM

Jul 2010
Having no hope is better. Live action adaptation is always risky.
Mar 21, 2013 5:59 PM

Feb 2008
I don't watch live action, but I may change that with a Patlabor adaptation.
Mar 25, 2013 4:59 PM

Jan 2008
symbv said:
Beatnik said:
Japanese just don't know how to adapt their anime, it always come off cheap and hackneyed.
Perhaps you can let me know who else beside the Japanese adapt the anime well? Or perhaps it is just the way Japanese like to see the adaptation anime?

The Japanese don't have the ridiculous budgets of US, which is why their adaptations not only look cheap, but also are limited in terms of story as well. They can't afford to recreate most anime storylines because of budget constraints. Takeshi Miike is a genius director though and works around that hurdle, but most other writers/directors cant.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 25, 2013 7:17 PM

Sep 2012
Beatnik said:
The Japanese don't have the ridiculous budgets of US, which is why their adaptations not only look cheap, but also are limited in terms of story as well. They can't afford to recreate most anime storylines because of budget constraints. Takeshi Miike is a genius director though and works around that hurdle, but most other writers/directors cant.
To be honest, given the paltry budget that Japanese have for animation works compared to American animation, I am actually very impressed with how to come up with -- adaptation may not be top-notched, but in many ways it is compensated by other technical achievements like art and animation.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 10, 2013 3:25 PM

Mar 2009
oh! I want to watch this <3
Aug 3, 2013 10:49 PM

Sep 2012
Some fans caught sight of the movie being filmed in Tokyo. The Patlabor is impressive !!

Aug 15, 2013 6:54 AM

Sep 2012
Key Visual looks pretty cool

Aug 15, 2013 12:20 PM

Apr 2011
Is this...... a mecha? Seeing a mecha in Live-Action, well. That will be something to look forward to, I guess.
Aug 15, 2013 6:35 PM

Aug 2008
awesome!!
patlabor is my fave mecha show :D
Aug 15, 2013 8:56 PM

Dec 2007
Beatnik said:
j0x said:

Unfortunately Kenshin movie was a stinking pile of poo, so I have no hope of this movie being any good. Japanese just don't know how to adapt their anime, it always come off cheap and hackneyed.

Unless when Takeshi Miike is doing it.

If Americans did it, it would be far, far worse. We'd prolly get a white guy as Kenshin.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Aug 15, 2013 11:03 PM

Aug 2013
Oh my, how nostalgic. I think it's been 10 years since i first read the manga, which became one of few classic series i was very fond of during my childhood. Initially i was pretty disappointed that they pick live action instead of anime adaptation, but whatever. After all, live action is cheap to produce and able to touch wider audience
Aug 15, 2013 11:07 PM

Jan 2009
Pacific Rim did not have a sucess in Japan so i got doubts that Patlabor another mecha film can be successful, how is the hype on japan right now?
Aug 15, 2013 11:14 PM

Sep 2012
j0x said:
Pacific Rim did not have a sucess in Japan so i got doubts that Patlabor another mecha film can be successful, how is the hype on japan right now?
At least Patlabor has some good fanbase from the manga and anime, which Pacific Rim cannot compare given 1) it is an original 2) it is viewed as some westerners copying our kaiju stuff. That said, Pacific Rim is not really a failure in Japan though. Anyway, seeing Warner Japan gave BD of Madoka movies to Del Toro as gift for his visit brought many smiles to many Japanese fans...

https://twitter.com/warnerjp/status/367843302671806464

Aug 15, 2013 11:15 PM

Jul 2012
symbv said:
Some fans caught sight of the movie being filmed in Tokyo. The Patlabor is impressive !!

Looks hella epic!
הלב שלי כבר מת
Aug 15, 2013 11:15 PM

Jan 2009
symbv said:
j0x said:
At least Patlabor has some good fanbase from the manga and anime, which Pacific Rim cannot compare given 1) it is an original 2) it is viewed as some westerners copying our kaiju stuff. That said, Pacific Rim is not really a failure in Japan though. Anyway, seeing Warner Japan gave BD of Madoka movies to Del Toro as gift for his visit brought many smiles to many Japanese fans...

https://twitter.com/warnerjp/status/367843302671806464

thats cool

and i read this news about Pacific Rim not being successful in Japan - http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/73689-pacific-rim-doesnt-take-off-in-japan
Aug 15, 2013 11:18 PM

Sep 2012
^ Indeed it did not take off. Japan is a place where heightened expectation set for global smash hits may not get met, but I would not call it an absolute failure either.

Sep 5, 2013 9:42 PM

Sep 2012
Mano Erina ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erina_Mano ) is in the main cast. I guess that means she plays Izumi Noa ?

Sep 24, 2013 11:16 PM

Sep 2012
The press conference held today gave surprising news !!!

- Chief director of the project is Oshii Mamoru

- It will a series of movies. In fact TWELVE of them each lasting 48 minutes, to be released in 7 batches

- A full length movie will follow in 2015

- It is set in the time after captain Gotoh is gone and the section is now headed by a new chief.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 2 hours ago

4 by mshfqtny »»
32 minutes ago

» Light Novel 'Saikyou no Shienshoku "Wajutsushi" de Aru Ore wa Sekai Saikyou Clan wo Shitagaeru' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

Vindstot - Apr 21

8 by modcarparking »»
1 hour ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

11 by modcarparking »»
1 hour ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
5 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.