Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 20, 2013 1:13 PM

Mar 2013
Explain which arc is your favorite and why.People always seem to bring up these two arcs the most.I haven't read the manga so no major spoilers please^^.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 20, 2013 1:48 PM

Feb 2012
Well... plotlike they are different arc. But I guess talking about that would be a spoiler.

I connect every arc with a "feeling":
Hunter Exam - Adventurous
Heavens Arena - Fighting spirit
York Shin - Dark
Greed Island - Fun
Chimera Ant - Tragic

Chimera Ant arc is much more emotional, and it's centered on Gon and Killua, though there are a lot of characters involved. York Shin is centered on Kurapika instead.

Also the events in York Shin happen in the same city and mostly involve the mafia community and the main characters, leaving normal people out of the action.

In Chimera Ant arc things happens in Mitene Union, a federation of 5 countries. A lot of people is involved, so things reach a whole new level.
Mar 20, 2013 2:27 PM
Feb 2010
CAA brings forth the cynical poet Togashi that I like best.
Yorkshin is like a good thriller that sucks you in. CAA is like a well written novel where you notice the thought put into it making it.
Mar 21, 2013 12:00 AM
Feb 2013
GinkgoTree said:
CAA brings forth the cynical poet Togashi that I like best.
Yorkshin is like a good thriller that sucks you in. CAA is like a well written novel where you notice the thought put into it making it.

My sentiments exactly. Chimera Ant arc is just so satisfying if one is willing to put up with a lot of reading and thoughts. Yorkshin arc is great in a different sense, but I favor Chimera Ant more.
Mar 21, 2013 1:37 AM

Oct 2011
Personally, I prefer Yorkshin over the CA arc. I don't have a good track record when it comes to talking about the CA arc but I will clarify a bit. I don't think the arc is bad, in fact it is a very good arc, still a top notch shounen arc, just for me personally when compared to the rest of HxH I think they edge it out in certain aspects.

For me, what made HxH so unique was that it focused more on the adventure and the story to set up the rare fights instead of being like other battle shounens where everything gets resolved through throwing down. So for this arc to be loaded with, what I consider to be, a lot of minor unneccessary fights, it took that magic away. The lighthearted and fun moments were pretty few and far between, so there was little comic relief to go along with all of the deep, emotional moments that were unfolding in the arc.

The Ant arc did do some things that I liked, but overall I was disappointed when I finished it. I know a lot of people love the arc, but for me it was just a different emotional attatchment to it. There were certain moments I thought excelled and certain characters I grew attatched to (such as the King) but overall as a whole the arc wasn't the greatest for me.

I will however, hold off full judgement of the arc until I see it animated since I think it will be better in anime format than the manga despite the fact that I'm sure a lot of the gory and brutal moments people loved will be toned down.
Mar 21, 2013 12:32 PM
Jun 2012
I personally like Chimera Ants more but I think you can already kind of guess if you're gonna like this or not.

If you like the same as fearthebeard, that is the sense of adveture in HxH in a more lighthearted (not really that much though) approach you're gonna like Yorkshin better because even if it was dark, it never got AS tragic and shocking as Chimera Ants did.

Now, if you like the dark themes more than you're gonna get a lot of enjoyment (as I did) from CA, there are points where it almost gets to Seinen and not only because of gore but because of really shocking scenes which I think I could even call psychological violence.

About the fights, there really were unneccessary fights in this arc (stiil awesome though) but I think that when it didn't get itself lost in them, it gave us the most awesome/epic moments of the series and some of my favorite fights are here in this arc as well so unneccessary doesn't describe all the fights and even though they were kind of unneccessary I never got the idea of a generic battle shonen from HXH.
Mar 21, 2013 6:54 PM

Feb 2013
Im not finished with Chimera but so far I like Yorkshin. Yorkshin includes all the major characters and focuses mainly on Kurapika (my favorite character).
Mar 23, 2013 10:45 PM
Feb 2012
Yorknew was never really my favorite. I like Greed Island and Heavens Arena better than Yorknew. The reason why is because I like Gon and Killua better as the center of attention then Kurapika even though I do think Kurapika is cool. He's just not GAR.

Chimera Ant is my favorite because we get Gon and Killua as the stars
and we get the adventure feel like Greed Island but more battles
like Heavens Arena and it's got the dark grittiness like Yorknew.

Plus The Chimera Ant Arc is just bad ass.
Mar 24, 2013 2:00 AM

Apr 2011
I watched the old series and never read the manga, even after the series/OVA ended. Though I enjoyed the series, I never went further and touch the manga. Many years later, I decided to read the manga and found out it was possible for specially challenged person to be a manga artist in Japan. [found out about the author antics blah blah...). Years later again, 2011 HxH pops out and give me a small taste of my childhood and improved it with higher quality visualization and audio. 2011 Now is the better version of the story during the Yorknew arc.

^ ZERO SPOILERS~
Mar 24, 2013 6:01 PM

Jan 2013
dude these comments have totally convinced me to pick reading HxH back up where I left off at the beginning of Chimera Ant arc, well a couple chapters in. Ive been keeping up with the current series all well as watched some of the older one as well as all the GI OVA's. CA hasnt got into anything too deep yet from where im at but from what you guys say I'll enjoy it. I liked Yorkshin a lot, the specific part
was intense. i liked kurapika and his Nen powers a lot. Greed Island was probably the weakest arc IMO, well there were good character interactions just the plot/setting was..idk I like the series too though because it integrates light-heartedness with more deep subjects at times. Well Yorkshin was more like that than anything else. Sounds the CA arc has some deep thought put into it or changes themes which Im excited to read, Im always left wanting more after every weeks episode haha.
May 4, 2014 12:36 PM

Sep 2011
I loved the Yorknew arc, that's the arc that really made Hunter x Hunter an amazing manga for me. What I liked about it is how fast the pacing was and how in such a short time span Togashi was able to introduce a lot of amazing characters and make you care about them. I also liked the fact that Gon and Killua took the supporting roles for this arc, personally I've never been a big fan of either of them. Gon is too generic as Shonen characters come and Killua is kind of boring. Really hope Kurapika and Leorio have bigger roles in the upcoming arcs.

As for the Chimera Ant arc, it's probably my second favorite but it has some serious pacing issues. There's way too big a gap between the events leading up to the emergence of the king and the actual fights with the royal guard. The pacing problems hurt what would otherwise had been a perfect arc. I think my favorite part of that arc was the Shogi/Chess matches between Meruem and Komugi.
May 4, 2014 12:51 PM

Dec 2012
Yorknew. Easily.
May 4, 2014 2:54 PM

Apr 2014
Chimera Ant arc easily.
The best thing about this arc is how it captures the dark site of humans.
Best example netero speech about the infinite malice in humans.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

May 4, 2014 3:50 PM

Sep 2011
I think the ones that always compares Yorkshin and CA arcs are Ryodan fans.
May 4, 2014 4:12 PM

Nov 2013
Chimera Ants, no doubt about it, before I get into it, I'll talk about Yorknew first.

I love Yorknew, it's the reason why I started to like HxH, it's when the series starts to go dark. The Phantom Troupe, brilliant villians and a lot of development for Kurapika. I do like Yorknew, but the Chimera Ant arc came along and made HxH my favourite anime. Very dark that it starts to border Seinen level, tackled very mature and dark themes, massive amount of character development for all characters, one of the best villians I seen in anime and that soundtrack is a masterpiece. Although I know why some people don't like it, it's Togashi's most controversial arc due to very poor artwork and the large amount of hiatuses, but the anime is how I first saw the CA arc and just fell in love with it before I read the manga, but with the arc not following typical shounen tropes, it made it unpredictable and therefore more amazing to watch and that ending of the arc is just beautiful and sad
"Now, let us drink. Let us drink. Drink to the human race. In every age, there will be good humans and bad humans. Human life is too long to devote to reproduction, yet too short to devote to learning, in the helix of time. Perhaps that is why humans succumb to desire and seek release. Despite the fact that life is complete with the sun, the land and poetry." Supreme Leader Diego(Real) (Hunter x Hunter 2011)
May 4, 2014 8:35 PM

Jan 2014
Chimeras, although YN is the second best arc in anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2014 3:09 AM

May 2013
For me Yorknew presents Togashi at his best. Chimera ants is an amazing arc, the character development, themes and shocking events were great. But the arc is veryy long and although this gave Togashi a chance to develop every character it also made the pacing of the story slow at times. Episodes before Pitou was born, the month Gon had no nen ect. Yorknew didn't had that problem, every episode with Kurapika or the Spiders were nothing but intense hype. Characters like Uvo, Nobunaga, Paku and Melody were developed nicely for such a short arc. Speaking of Uvo, this fight with Kurapika is still my favorite fight of the series. How cruel Kurapika tortured and killed Uvo, it leaves me shocked everytime I watch episode 47.

In the end both arcs are top notch. I understand why some people perfer CA.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
May 5, 2014 3:26 AM

Apr 2014
Yorknew is best for me becuz of its intensity and every ep was exciting with awsm fights
while chimera arc has best character development
Life is Fun! Yeah,try chanting that 10,000 times each day!
it will mess with your head,and all your pain will disappear
May 5, 2014 3:59 AM

Oct 2013
Yorknew Arc was the one that made HxH stand out from every other shit I had watched at least in this genre, if not in almost all anime... It was dark with great villains and story development, it had awesome fights and good character development for Kurapika also it was realistic and unpredictable.....

But Chimera Ants arc is the best for me as personal preference. The amount of thought and detail that CA demanded is on another level, not that the Yorknew wasn't well written. It's just the themes presented in CA are handled on multiple levels with mastery that it leaves me in awe. Not to mention that CA provides a wider range of emotions than Yorknew. The character development is just amazing as well...

CA arc > Movies :P
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
May 5, 2014 4:59 AM

Apr 2013
I definitely like the chimera arc better. Yorknew was good but it just focused on kurapika and and was short. The chimera arc has more character development with almost everyone involved expect for just one person.There are also more characters involved like knuckle, palm, Ikalgo, and netero. I also find the royal guard and the king more interesting than the phantom troupe. This arc is also much darker and more developed. I'm hoping there will be another phantom troupe arc that is even better.
May 5, 2014 5:17 AM

Dec 2008
Chimera Ant for me. The range of powerful emotions is what gets me.

May 5, 2014 5:01 PM

Apr 2013
I like the dark feeling that is present in both of the arcs. I would have to choose the Chimera Ant arc over the Yorknew City arc however, due to the fact that it has more of Gon and Killua in it, as well as much more in depth character development.
May 6, 2014 12:57 AM

Mar 2010
YN cause it reminds me of Death Note and it has Kurapika in it. :D
May 7, 2014 5:39 PM

Oct 2012
Salce said:
Well... plotlike they are different arc. But I guess talking about that would be a spoiler.

I connect every arc with a "feeling":
Hunter Exam - Adventurous
Heavens Arena - Fighting spirit
York Shin - Dark
Greed Island - Fun
Chimera Ant - Tragic

Chimera Ant arc is much more emotional, and it's centered on Gon and Killua, though there are a lot of characters involved. York Shin is centered on Kurapika instead.

Also the events in York Shin happen in the same city and mostly involve the mafia community and the main characters, leaving normal people out of the action.

In Chimera Ant arc things happens in Mitene Union, a federation of 5 countries. A lot of people is involved, so things reach a whole new level.

Agreed .
Shonen!
May 8, 2014 11:45 PM
Apr 2014
Chimera Ant arc for me.
more character development
a longer story with more depth
additionally,the connection between this arc and the Bible
May 9, 2014 11:33 AM

Apr 2014
C.A. arc by faaaar.
May 9, 2014 3:21 PM

Jan 2014
It all boils down to preference, but Yorknew by leaps and bounds.

Yorknew had a better blend of multiple elements and really intriguing events. It also kicked off right from the start and maintained interest all the way through unlike the CA which has been pretty wishy-washy.

It is clear that most of the praise for CA comes from "themes" and "character development" which I care far less about. Those fall flat if the sequence of events themselves are uninteresting and the feeling is lost.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 9, 2014 3:29 PM

Feb 2014
lxixsxa said:
Chimera Ant arc for me.
more character development
a longer story with more depth
additionally,the connection between this arc and the Bible

Me too.

To me it's probably same quality with more quantity so I loved it more.
May 9, 2014 6:30 PM

Feb 2012
Chimera Ant arc. It's the arc I re-read the most, leave the strongest impression and most memorable. I can name so many of my favorite scenes, favorite moments from the arc.

Yorknew is not even my 2nd favorite.
May 9, 2014 10:39 PM

Mar 2014
Yorknew Arc is what got me to watch the anime (watched Uvo's requiem where the rest of the troupe just tore shit up). I really liked that arc, it was fantastic. The entire troupe was just so interesting (especially Chrollo) and I was pretty hyped throughout the entire thing. It was really well-executed.

However, CA left a huge impression for me. The entire theme of "Man or Monster?" was beautiful and I love how it was carried out. Yorknew had more interesting characters but there was a lot more character development in this arc and a lot of the main characters in this arc were also very interesting (ie. Meruem). I had no problems with the pacing because I just zoomed through every page in the manga, so I can see why people are moaning about how it's dragging on when they only see new episodes once a week. Nonetheless, I thought the episodes were very well done.

I love both arcs but if I had to pick one over the other, it would be CA. Togashi did well on both, though. HxH wouldn't be what it is if either arc was missing.
jreginaldMay 9, 2014 10:44 PM
May 9, 2014 11:09 PM

Oct 2013
WTH? I guess I'm in the minority then. Well, that's a first.... -__-
May 10, 2014 2:06 AM

Jan 2014
keragamming said:

It seems to me that the general consensus outside the forums is that Yorknew is better. This kind of topic will naturally draw in the CA arc fans first, especially since it is currently airing.
I'm always more interested in the reasons, and those for CA in this case are unsatisfying.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 10, 2014 2:13 AM

Feb 2014
RedRoseFring said:
keragamming said:

It seems to me that the general consensus outside the forums is that Yorknew is better. This kind of topic will naturally draw in the CA arc fans first, especially since it is currently airing.
I'm always more interested in the reasons, and those for CA in this case are unsatisfying.

Got any sources or proof?
May 10, 2014 2:19 AM

Jan 2014
TonyTonyStark said:
RedRoseFring said:
keragamming said:

Go on any Youtube video, check the series' reviews or check the individual episode ratings. I never made a definite claim but simply stated what appeared to be the case to me.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 10, 2014 2:28 AM

Feb 2014
RedRoseFring said:
TonyTonyStark said:
RedRoseFring said:
keragamming said:

Go on any Youtube video, check the series' reviews or check the individual episode ratings. I never made a definite claim but simply stated what appeared to be the case to me.

Highest rated episode seems to be from the CA. Most youtubers I care to check seem to prefer CA, they don't compare but they fanboy over this arc more. Not a very good "indicator" you claim, and it still shows CA is more popular.
May 10, 2014 2:38 AM

Jan 2014
TonyTonyStark said:

Youtubers like? I also meant the average for the entire arc. 1 episode doesn't define an entire arc (especially when many drop off before then). I'd bet it also has the lowest rated episode.
RedRoseFringMay 10, 2014 2:41 AM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 10, 2014 2:41 AM

Feb 2014
RedRoseFring said:
TonyTonyStark said:

Youtubers like? I also meant the average for the entire arc. 1 episode doesn;t define an entire arc.

and 20 epsiodes are not the same as 60. But if we're going about the forums, this thread itself shows a majority in favor of the latter arc.
May 10, 2014 2:43 AM

Jan 2014
TonyTonyStark said:
RedRoseFring said:
TonyTonyStark said:

Youtubers like? I also meant the average for the entire arc. 1 episode doesn;t define an entire arc.

and 20 epsiodes are not the same as 60. But if we're going about the forums, this thread itself shows a majority in favor of the latter arc.

Mostly because the majority frequenting the board at this time are people who actually like the arc. Most of those who complain would have dropped off long before then.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 10, 2014 2:51 AM

Feb 2014
RedRoseFring said:
TonyTonyStark said:
RedRoseFring said:
TonyTonyStark said:

Mostly because the majority frequenting the board at this time are people who actually like the arc. Most of those who complain would have dropped off long before then.

Funny because the first page, comments of were of before the CA air date, and it was 5 to 1.
May 10, 2014 2:56 AM

Jan 2014
TonyTonyStark said:

That only makes it worse. It shows that majority of votes came from manga readers, so no input from anime watchers.
Basically, only those that actually liked the arc and had been following the series could even give an opinion.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 10, 2014 3:05 AM

Feb 2014
RedRoseFring said:
TonyTonyStark said:

That only makes it worse. It shows that majority of votes came from manga readers, so no input from anime watchers.
Basically, only those that actually liked the arc and had been following the series could even give an opinion.

You act as if readers of CA never heard of Yorknew.

How is i worse?
1. Art in CA is worse than Yorknew, so they should have chosen Yorknew, unless they really liked CA.
2. You just pointed out the unfairness of the CA being so fresh and currently airing. For manga readers, the series itself was a year gone and the CA ended a year and a half ago. So they can formulate their views of both arcs without the effects of your 'ongoing' argument.
May 10, 2014 3:11 AM

Sep 2012
You two again... You're arguing in every pages that I visit. LOL

Anyaway, Yorknew > CA. CA is very good, but Yorknew is more effective.
May 10, 2014 3:15 AM

Feb 2014
SetsukoHara said:
You two again... You're arguing in every pages that I visit. LOL

Anyaway, Yorknew > CA. CA is very good, but Yorknew is more effective.

Yeah lol :P In terms of popularity, which do you think is more popular? Do you have some stand-out examples to inform us about?
May 10, 2014 3:17 AM

Jan 2014
TonyTonyStark said:
RedRoseFring said:
TonyTonyStark said:

You act as if readers of CA never heard of Yorknew.

How is i worse?
1. Art in CA is worse than Yorknew, so they should have chosen Yorknew, unless they really liked CA.
2. You just pointed out the unfairness of the CA being so fresh and currently airing. For manga readers, the series itself was a year gone and the CA ended a year and a half ago. So they can formulate their views of both arcs without the effects of your 'ongoing' argument.

1. Come on! Like people who talk about being "dark" and "deep" care about art. I've seen more defendants of it.
2. You are just reiterating my point. The manga readers who voted for CA already had their minds made up.
I picked Yorknew judging what I've seen of CA so far, but even now my judgement is not final as the arc is not over.
There will be better results when the arc is over and more people watch it, because there are a lot who dropped due to disappointment from Greed Island onwards.

"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 10, 2014 3:22 AM

Feb 2014
What do you mean had alread their minds made up? I have to be indecisive to have a valid vote?

People who voted CA, and who voted Yorknew, know of both arcs, and chose according to what they liked.

According to the forum itself, the greed island votes were the most consistently high-rated, so hardly any disappointment barring a vocal few.
May 10, 2014 3:27 AM

Jan 2014
TonyTonyStark said:
What do you mean had alread their minds made up? I have to be indecisive to have a valid vote?

People who voted CA, and who voted Yorknew, know of both arcs, and chose according to what they liked.

According to the forum itself, the greed island votes were the most consistently high-rated, so hardly any disappointment barring a vocal few.

You just keep reiterating my point:

Many people dropped the series right at Greed Island because they viewed it as such a disappointment, so only those who cared for the arc bothered to vote.
Reading reviews, there are even many that recommend skipping that arc.
Simply going by ratings tells nothing, or the most obscure series would be the highest rated. The number of voters themselves is also important.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 10, 2014 3:33 AM

Feb 2014
How "many" people? And it's exactly those people whose votes do not count, because they never got to see CA.

You're wandering far too off into an alternative reality of assumptions, that if all those "hordes" of people who dropped it at GI would, if they continue, magically vote for Yorknew by a landslide.

Reminds me of those ghosts at the end of LOTR. LOL.

You're the one who pointed at the rating. The number of votes increased as did the rating itself. So still, CA is winning accordingly.
May 10, 2014 4:00 AM

Jan 2014
TonyTonyStark said:
How "many" people? And it's exactly those people whose votes do not count, because they never got to see CA.

You're wandering far too off into an alternative reality of assumptions, that if all those "hordes" of people who dropped it at GI would, if they continue, magically vote for Yorknew by a landslide.

You're the one who pointed at the rating. The number of votes increased as did the rating itself. So still, CA is winning accordingly.

Don't try to lie. I just checked for myself. Both numbers and ratings dropped going from Yorknew to Greed Island. Episode 52 had 287 votes for 89% 5/5. Episode 62 in GI had 170 with 68% 5/5
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 10, 2014 4:59 AM

Mar 2014
RedRoseFring said:
TonyTonyStark said:

Youtubers like? I also meant the average for the entire arc. 1 episode doesn't define an entire arc (especially when many drop off before then). I'd bet it also has the lowest rated episode.

Sawyer7mage + ForneverWorld are both big commentators on YouTube and both love CA (the latter gave best episode of all anime to episodes from CA, both for 2013 & 2014). Just read the comments, it's a bunch of people praising this arc. Not that they don't like Yorknew better, but CA doesn't just get recognition from people that are "currently viewing it". A lot of us are manga readers so we already know how the arc is concluded. My appreciation for this arc settled in once it finished (because there were some very important parts at the end).
jreginaldMay 10, 2014 5:07 AM
May 10, 2014 6:35 AM
Jun 2013
RedRoseFring said:
TonyTonyStark said:

Don't try to lie. I just checked for myself. Both numbers and ratings dropped going from Yorknew to Greed Island. Episode 52 had 287 votes for 89% 5/5. Episode 62 in GI had 170 with 68% 5/5

Very smart of you to just pick random episodes and compare them lol, The episode you picked from Yorknew was during the climax of the arc while the one from Greed Island was still at the start of it. If you want to compare them, then you should know that Yorknew had 22 episodes with 9 of them over 85% for 5/5, while Greed Island had 17 episodes with 8 of them over 85%. So yeah people were still enjoying Greed Island just as Yorknew. That doesn't mean that Greed Island is better, But it wasn't as bad as you're making it out to be. Also, about people dropping the show because of disappointment in the arc, can you provide a source for your statement other than the number of votes? and for the "many" reviews recommending to skip it?

Also you need to look at the rating of the series overall, as you keep claiming that it dropped in quality and MANY people are dropping it, this series average was around 8.7 when CA first started, if you look now it's almost 8.9. So yeah according to logic, most people are enjoying this arc so far.
MSVMay 10, 2014 6:42 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Apr 16, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Apr 16, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

42 by Sorachin »»
Apr 15, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.