Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 20, 2013 3:18 AM

Jan 2013
HnC must be the most realistic anime ever,it almost made me cry....but do you think it does not get the recognition it deserves??
also...any other anime you think to be criminally underrated??
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 20, 2013 3:32 AM

Jun 2007
Honey & Clover is widely loved and very often highly recommended. I've never once seen any hate for it either, I'm not sure how you think it's underrated. It's one of the more popular romance series, one of the most popular josei, one of the most popular drama-focused (though not dark) SoLs, and one of the most popular coming of age series.

The only show really overshadowing it in it's same type of shows is Nodame, which deserves more recognition as it really is a better show overall.
Mar 20, 2013 3:37 AM
May 2010
Its not under rated. Its great, though depressingly realistic.

TallonKarrde23 said:

The only show really overshadowing it in it's same type of shows is Nodame, which deserves more recognition as it really is a better show overall.

This is true.
Worships Asparagus.
Mar 20, 2013 3:49 AM

Jun 2009
No show is underrated and no show is overrated.
Mar 20, 2013 4:46 AM
May 2009
Its not underratted. It took me a while to start it, Because its not really one of those shows I like to watch an episode a week. And as time pass I forgot about it.

But its a great series.
Mar 20, 2013 5:26 AM

Jun 2009
It's loved by those who seen it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2013 1:32 PM
Jul 2012
Honey and Clover sucks and deseves a lower rating. The rating tricked me into watching it.
Mar 20, 2013 1:37 PM

Oct 2011
I strongly dislike depressing shows (and this had those) but this one I really liked.

Is it underrated... maybe but I think main reason might be that it's best if viewer is bit older - not that it's not for young people but ability to relate with what is happening gives additional value.
Mar 20, 2013 1:48 PM

Jun 2009
I don't know about underrated, it's a pretty well regarded show. Would I like to hear it spoke about more? Of course, it's undoubtedly one of my all time favorites but, eh, it being Josei is going to turn off certain people by default anyway.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 29, 2013 8:32 PM
Dec 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:

H&C has a better storyline and characters than Nodame.

I think the way NC put classical music into an anime makes it stands out as one of my favorite series. But I can't even compare the the relationship between the main chars of Nodame and Honey and Clover, the later seems much more real, while the first feels more forced.
Jan 7, 2014 9:54 PM
Nov 2012
In my opinion, i think it's underrated. It might be slightly popular but not close to as popular as MANY other animes that do not deserve their large popularity. This was the best anime i have ever seen and i did not discover it until a whole year after i started watching anime and it was after many months looking for a good romance. After watching a lot of bullshit tsundere (not saying there's anything bad about that) and straightforward, forced romance, i finally discovered this. I was always looking for something slow paced and filled with feelings. Something similar to Clannad After Story and Honey and Clover gave me way more than that. It made me realize the many faults that Clannad After Story actually had and was not the great masterpiece i once imagined it to be.

So i'm kind of disappointed how it has such a low rating (even though an 8.4 should not be considered low) considering its greatness. And I guess it's understandable why it's not so high on the popularity chart considering only selected few are interested in slow paced anime and try to find deeper meanings in them. Hopefully Nodame is just as good despite the fact i read it's less serious. I'm not sure if i will ever find anything quite like it. Maybe in another year, when i will find one that even surpasses H&C. Maybe.
Jan 7, 2014 9:55 PM
Nov 2012
In my opinion, i think it's underrated. It might be slightly popular but not close to as popular as MANY other animes that do not deserve their large popularity. This was the best anime i have ever seen and i did not discover it until a whole year after i started watching anime and it was after many months looking for a good romance. After watching a lot of bullshit tsundere (not saying there's anything bad about that) and straightforward, forced romance, i finally discovered this. I was always looking for something slow paced and filled with feelings. Something similar to Clannad After Story and Honey and Clover gave me way more than that. It made me realize the many faults that Clannad After Story actually had and was not the great masterpiece i once imagined it to be.

So i'm kind of disappointed how it has such a low rating (even though an 8.4 should not be considered low) considering its greatness. And I guess it's understandable why it's not so high on the popularity chart considering only selected few are interested in slow paced anime and try to find deeper meanings in them. Hopefully Nodame is just as good despite the fact i read it's less serious. I'm not sure if i will ever find anything quite like it. Maybe in another year, when i will find one that even surpasses H&C. Maybe.
Jan 29, 2014 4:37 PM

Jul 2012
kyoscaum said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

H&C has a better storyline and characters than Nodame.

I think the way NC put classical music into an anime makes it stands out as one of my favorite series. But I can't even compare the the relationship between the main chars of Nodame and Honey and Clover, the later seems much more real, while the first feels more forced.

I hate to admit it, but you make a good point. Nodame Cantabile was more plot and music driven while they left the characters and romantic development to more unrealistic standards while H&C was more complex in terms of all the character relationships and more realistic. (except Shuu and Hagu's ending relationship tho)

Jonahtang said:

I think H&C deserves an 8 overall, but that would mean I would have to force other shows to have lower average ratings because H&C is way better than so many other shows. Wish it was more popular. Also, yeah, Clannad was really pale in comparison to H&C.
Jan 29, 2014 9:26 PM

Apr 2012
H&C was amazing. One of the best slice of life, drama, romance, etc shows I've ever seen. It was much more realistic than most I've watched. The characters and their development (even the supporting cast) were great. The dialogue (especially the monologues) were well written; this was probably it's strongest point imo. This show really gave me a new perspective on similar (genre wise) shows I've watched and how they all pale in comparison to this gem. I might have to re-rate the other shows lol

H&C is now one of my all time favorites <3

Feb 7, 2014 5:27 PM

Jan 2014
@Zeally- I agree with everything you said.

Amazingly well done show and very charming animation that suits the melancholic but dramatic undertones. The romance was definitely there and a love triangle or two, but and while it wasn't the most obviously romantic series out there, it was subtly beautiful in so many ways. Lots of self struggle and questioning on that subject came form almost every character in the show and every person had a different view and situation on the matter which gave us all a deep investment in each characters thoughts and lives.

The best part as mentioned above is the slice of life aspect where you really get to see inside the characters thoughts with their eloquent monologues that provided very good insight. While this all might sound like one big struggle it really isn't, there's so much comedy, lots of it being silly from Morita and others but it also comes in other forms as well. Adding on to that, Morita is one of the best characters I've seen in any anime, there's so many layers to his personality and ambitions.

The point is I personally think it should be considered in the conversation for top slice of life anime out there. I haven't seen a better one in a better setting, and it's really a shame there isn't more university/college settings in current anime (other than golden time which isn't bad). All in all I just keep triyng to recommend it to people so hopefully others will find a similar sense of enjoyment from this wonderfully done series.
Apr 6, 2014 12:34 PM

Apr 2013
I'm rewatching the anime for Honey and Clover now and looking at some episode threads here,it's surprising how many people have dropped it (with bad ratings,ofc) for being "loli shit for pedos".
It's also disappointing to see how many of them never gave Hagu a chance, I think she's one of the strongest anime/manga characters I have seen yet.

Honey and Clover is one my most favorite stories ever, and I do think it has a lot of recognition which it deserves. I wouldn't say it's underrated, it gets a lot of love, even from non-anime fans (as it was turned to dramas too).

Zeally said:
The dialogue (especially the monologues) were well written; this was probably it's strongest point imo.

One of its strongest points for sure, it has so many great lines.
SalxerApr 8, 2014 7:20 AM
Apr 6, 2014 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
Jody32 said:
Salxer said:
Zeally said:
The dialogue (especially the monologues) were well written; this was probably it's strongest point imo.

One of its strongest points for sure, it has so many great lines.
I am quite amazed at that as well, come to think of it.

Same here, the dialogue/monologues is my favourite part of H&C.
removed-userApr 6, 2014 1:04 PM
Apr 6, 2014 6:02 PM

Apr 2013
I have never seen anyone bash this show and have only heard good things.

If we're talking about MAL rating, then, yes, 8.28 is too low for HnC.
Apr 18, 2014 2:48 PM

Dec 2013
Yeah I'd agree it's underrated. It's far better than Toradora (8.54?) for cryin' out loud.
Apr 18, 2014 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
Proust said:
It's far better than Toradora (8.54?) for cryin' out loud.

I love both, but I agree H&C is superior.

Have to say though:

Taiga > Hagu.

pls jus look dis face
http://im38.gulfup.com/DHYxq.gif
Nov 26, 2015 10:30 PM

Jun 2015
TallonKarrde23 said:
Honey & Clover is widely loved and very often highly recommended. I've never once seen any hate for it either, I'm not sure how you think it's underrated. It's one of the more popular romance series, one of the most popular josei, one of the most popular drama-focused (though not dark) SoLs, and one of the most popular coming of age series.

not every one's into those kinda shows.... sm ppl just watch shonens.... then they cm across this shit and its all new to them, and no1 they no gives a shit abt this show.....
UNDER-RATED
same thing happened to me once
nop still does

More topics from this board

Poll: » Opening

I_0_dont_0_know - Apr 10

3 by mikorinismyson »»
Apr 11, 2:46 AM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Mar 17, 2008

126 by whereswisteria »»
Mar 29, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fentastic - Oct 5, 2008

124 by anti0taku »»
Sep 14, 2023 4:50 PM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Mar 21, 2008

61 by anti0taku »»
Aug 3, 2023 2:42 PM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Mar 20, 2008

63 by anti0taku »»
Aug 3, 2023 1:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.