Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2013 12:13 AM

Mar 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Well that was God awful.

"all I do is cook, tee hee~"
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 20, 2013 1:41 AM

Sep 2010
I dunno. Certainly disagree with the housewife's outlook on life but that's only because I've never been a housewife. Or a part of an arranged and unhappy marriage, for that matter.

Felt like I was looking at a person I had absolutely no way of relating to, other than the fact that, yes, food is pretty frickin' great.
Mar 20, 2013 8:13 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I just find sad that her whole world was her kitchen... She was talking about herself like she was a piece of meat that just had to be the best meat to please the "man".

If she at least pursued her cooking talent to do something more than just filling her guy's belly (and making very creepy comments about how the food becomes part of someone's body :S) it would have been something. But... she was fine living in that small kitchen of hers (we barely even saw her outside the kitchen, much less the house) so... if she's happy, what can we say~ I just hope she won't wake up one day and regret her decisions~
Mar 21, 2013 7:07 AM

Feb 2008
Great, now I'm hungry.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Mar 22, 2013 7:29 AM

May 2010
the life of a housewife. nothing more to it than loving your family... or something. i dont really know but that food looked pretty good!

idk, this was pretty entertaining to me. it's just a simple love story afterall. by the looks of it the next one should be more exciting.
Mar 23, 2013 9:36 PM

Dec 2010
That was.. underwhelming, especially considering the brilliant pilot episode.

The first half was nice and I liked the light ironic tone, but as soon as they hooked up the pace got lost. Well, the ridiculous twist and the conservative japanese outlook on marriage didn't help either.
Mar 25, 2013 1:34 PM

Aug 2012
Ugh I hate when an anime mixes some reality elements. That's visually unexpected thus unpleasant. Otherwise, it was so-so.
Mar 25, 2013 5:54 PM

Dec 2008
Wow.
The fact that he compared her to a cat/dog/bird was sickening.
It didn't help that she didn't take offense.

It felt like some type of cooking show. It was average. The first OVA was MUUUUUUCH better. 5/10 for this one.
Mar 27, 2013 12:19 PM

Aug 2008
I actually watched it in 2 part, I just finished the episode, I don't find it that bad. :O

But yeah, mixing reality to it is still very weird, but the food definitely looked delicious!
Apr 1, 2013 12:09 AM

Dec 2009
I think it is sad that she thought her only potential is to cook for one man alone and was satisfied. I think there are people out there living lives in which they believe they are useful in only one aspect. Imagine if they broke up or he died. She would loose all meaning in life and most likely become suicidal.

I hated the mixed in reality if I want to see real people I can just watch a j-drama or something.
Apr 6, 2013 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
so annoying when they add real life shots in anime!
i thought that was an old school thing. can't believe they're still doing it.

what was with the guy comparing her to an animal???
was that supposed to be romantic??!! i thought she was gonna start rethinking the relationship after that comment!
their whole romance was lame. didn't care about it at all

ughh this was so dissapointing! i was expecting it to be way more like the first episode. the whole thing seemed like a cooking tutorial for girls or something
where was the realism? the drama? it wasnt even romantic!

i hope the next 2 are better
Apr 8, 2013 2:35 PM

Sep 2011
This one was pretty shitty. I docked down the overall score because of this episode. It was awful. Anyways, I hope a fine-looking garbage man let's me live with him.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Apr 8, 2013 10:14 PM

Jan 2008
I got hungry watching those different dishes. The sunny side up was burnt to my liking though. ;P

Not as good as the first one released but that's how she feels. I think some housewives do think themselves like that, only good at cooking and thinks cooking for man is the best thing to do (or fulfilling their basic needs)...when there's so many things life has to offer. As they say, different strokes for different folks.
Apr 17, 2013 12:31 PM

Jul 2008
Really disliked this one. It sucks that based on these new 3 specials, my score of the first one will get pulled down.
Jul 26, 2013 8:14 AM

Jan 2008
Nice episode, but dammit, it made me hungry.
Aug 28, 2013 12:34 AM

Apr 2009
So I take it, almost everyone who watched this was hungry after the episode? LOL I know I am now, and I just had lunch right before watching this. Anyway it was a pretty OK episode.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Sep 22, 2013 3:44 PM

Apr 2013
First one was much better,I really couldn't understand her,not the guy either.Who would tell someone that seems to have confidence issues "at least you're good at cooking"? makes it seems like that's the only thing he likes about her,and she's happy about it too.
well at least I liked the reality elements mixed in with the animation,I thought that was nice.
Oct 18, 2013 3:59 PM

Dec 2009
Animation is great, but everything else is just weird. Epic fail. Nuff said...
Nov 28, 2013 8:59 PM

Jul 2011
... Um, so she just cooks all day? Okay then.

Ah, but otherwise it was a nice story. Don't understand all the hate. Though I don't understand the comparison to being a pet... I would personally take some offense to that. It would mean that I'm easily replaceable. >>

Was pretty heart warming though.
May 11, 2014 4:40 AM

Dec 2012
A pretty interesting episode, at its essence. People seem to be grumbling about how she has a boring, even pathetic, life but it's important to realise that the audience was probably meant to gain something from the experience. It wasn't a fluffy romcom, it was a literary piece, we are meant to form our own interpretations of the characters and what the story might be trying to convey (and that could be a great many things for each individual).

Anyway, I personally thought the live-action kitchen, hand etc was more off-putting than anything else they could have done wrong - by the end of it I was pretty annoyed.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Jun 18, 2014 6:39 AM

Jul 2012
The art was soooo weird, still I liked it. But the first was better imo
Jul 6, 2014 7:23 PM

Oct 2007
While the first one was outstanding I think this one is also great on its own. I am a guy and I still find it to be pretty interesting story. I think the show did a really good job of telling the whole story in just 25 minutes long. It gave me enough space to put myself in her shoes and understand the show from her point of view.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 2, 2014 5:06 PM

Jul 2012
This one was kind of stupid but cute at the same time. I was expecting something as dark and bittersweet as the first story but this one was just cute all around. But I agree, this one made good use of its 25 minutes, telling a nice story with good paced flashbacks.

I have to say, it was a bit twisted in a way. I don't think I can put myself in her shoes, mostly because A. I can't cook. B. I have goals in life. but it kind of made sense that she wanted to escape from her loveless marriage.

sarroush said:
The fact that he compared her to a cat/dog/bird was sickening.
It didn't help that she didn't take offense.

Yeah this part was pretty fucked up. I really didn't like that comparison that all she was , was a maid/sex partner/cook for her man.
Sep 30, 2014 3:59 PM

Feb 2013
I thought it was interesting how she said her cooking the meals for her boyfriend was like her making his body. That was an interesting metaphor I've never thought of.

But I was expecting some twist to point out a stereotype or something, but I never felt the presence of the episode really saying that a women shouldn't shoot for such a simple lifestyle. I don't really know what to think about what message the episode was shooting for, but I did find the whole thing interesting and enjoyed it. I usually hate live-action in anime, but it felt nicely stylish here (it could be that the food just looked delicious).

Maybe the whole point of the episode was to show that the lifestyle of a housewife shouldn't be looked down upon as a couple can be happy that way as they can another way. I really have no clue.

edit: Actually, when you think about it it's kinda a clash of stereotypes. The stereotype of women focusing on money is clashed with the stereotype of a woman's job being cooking and the kitchen. I don't know what to examine beyond that, but I feel there is likely something hidden in this episode.
BlokeTokesSep 30, 2014 5:26 PM
Nov 2, 2014 1:37 AM

Jun 2013
neither was it overwhelming nor was it underwhelming.. a normal episode. although I wouldn't know about the experience the housewife was going through in the anime and since this mainly focuses to the 'josei' audience, maybe they would have a different insight to the anime than I and yes, they should have toned it down on adding some realism, the food that was being cooked and portrayed was delicious enough only by looking at it.. the housewife has a pretty narrow view to the life she is leading.. it was neither good nor bad. neutral and normal this episode was when compared to the first episode (which was amazing to say the least)
Dec 18, 2014 3:58 PM
Jul 2014
I'm happy she's happy...:)
Jan 15, 2015 12:09 PM

Aug 2014
The subs I watched said something like "you do things that a cat, a dog or a bird can do for me", which was hilarious because he listed cooking and sex. It was most likely a mis-translation, unless he had some adept pets, is into bestiality, and has an minuscule penis. Then it's not as funny.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 23, 2015 7:03 AM

Oct 2012
Hmm... I'm not really sure I would want to live with woman who is uncertain, possessive, obsessive, overdependent, jealous, and with only one goal in her life. But at the same time I'm not denying those women exist.

I'm really not sure what point of this anime was. If it only serves as assurance for women in household to justify their actions and give them false hope that their partner is still loving them than it fails really hard. But if it tries to set a mirror to hypocrisy of modern japanese society then it kinda does its job.

I know there are still many women in Japan who doesn't work and instead concentrate of being housewifes. But it occured to me that she really needs to get a job to find some new purpose in her life other that making food. I also see this as a critique of those housewives - to show them that they are obsolete in modern day era.

Contracted marriages are also big problem but in her stead I would simply sign divorce papers and never talk to him again. The problem is family view of her of course, and it seems he was enough of gentleman (or proud enough not wanting to embarass himself) that he still haven't told that to her parents. I guess it's still pretty difficult to deal with those things in Japan nowadays.

Ok, 6/10, definitely not utterly bad thing but this movie only scratched surface of actual problems, it didn't go very deep. I also like how they put both animated and live-action parts into this.
Apr 2, 2016 9:09 PM

Jun 2013
I melted in a sugar paste watching it.
Sep 7, 2016 1:51 PM

Aug 2014
I'm not sure if people actually understand what's happening in this episode. This is not a story promoting housewife conformity. It is a story about a woman who is saved from a life of misery and so puts everything into her cooking to show her gratitude and love. Maybe spending her entire life in the kitchen will turn out to be bad in the long run, but for the time being she's taken the right step toward happiness.

Also apparently the whole "animal" thing was a mistranslation. The subs are supposed to be "You've been doing things that a cat, a dog or a bird can't do for me." That's the complete opposite of the current line. Also the phrase Kou used, "ikimono", translates more directly into "living thing", which shows more his gratitude that when he comes back, there is someone waiting at home for him. (Also makes the "you're alive, we eat together, we have sex, and sleep" line make a LOT more sense)
Oct 6, 2019 11:12 PM

May 2016
sddsdd said:
I'm not sure if people actually understand what's happening in this episode. This is not a story promoting housewife conformity. It is a story about a woman who is saved from a life of misery and so puts everything into her cooking to show her gratitude and love. Maybe spending her entire life in the kitchen will turn out to be bad in the long run, but for the time being she's taken the right step toward happiness.

Also apparently the whole "animal" thing was a mistranslation. The subs are supposed to be "You've been doing things that a cat, a dog or a bird can't do for me." That's the complete opposite of the current line. Also the phrase Kou used, "ikimono", translates more directly into "living thing", which shows more his gratitude that when he comes back, there is someone waiting at home for him. (Also makes the "you're alive, we eat together, we have sex, and sleep" line make a LOT more sense)

I know it's been 3 years, but thank you very much for writing this. These comments are infuriating to read...as MAL comments usually are...

The key difference between her old, unhappy life and her current very happy life is the choice. She only started to become unhappy again when she started worrying about her no longer having choice/being forced once more into a situation she didn't want to be in and felt nothing for, by outside forces she was completely unappreciated by.
Her lifestyle may seem silly, but that lifestyle itself isn't the point. And it's certainly not preaching about it being "the right one" either. It's saying the exact opposite - live how you want to live, and find someone who appreciates you for who you are. And like most of these episodes - live for yourself.
Cooking, housekeeping and caring for her other half is what makes her happy, and it's her best way of giving back to him too (as someone who greatly appreciates it, unlike many men--such as her old husband--who would actually find her lifestyle a burden on them). It's the thing she can do the best and what she finds the most fulfilling. These things, and the life you live ultimately being your choice, are what's really most important for a happy lifestyle. This was the message.

Also, I'm sorry, but leave it to Commie to do the ONE mistranslation that'll completely sour some people's opinions of the episode, and wreck the entire meaning of the line and the theme... Fucking hell. I'm not even sure how one could make those two mistakes in tandem, especially when they don't even make any sense like that (literally or in the context)... Did the translator just hate the content of the episode (being possibly offensive to them in nature?) and think "why not, he's basically saying as much anyway, let's change what's actually said here a bit so then it'll at least be hilarious"?
ZaugrNov 10, 2019 6:48 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2019 5:08 PM

Apr 2014
Zaugr said:
sddsdd said:

I know it's been 3 years, but thank you very much for writing this. These comments are infuriating to read...as MAL comments usually are...

The key difference between her old, unhappy life and her current very happy life is the choice. She only started to become unhappy again when she started worrying about her no longer having choice/being forced once more into a situation she didn't want to be in and felt nothing for, by outside forces she was completely unappreciated by.
Her lifestyle may seem silly, but that lifestyle itself isn't the point. And it's certainly not preaching about it being "the right one" either. It's saying the exact opposite - live how you want to live, and find someone who appreciates you for who you are. And like most of these episodes - live for yourself.
Cooking, housekeeping and caring for her other half is what makes her happy, and it's her best way of giving back to him too (as someone who greatly appreciates it, unlike many men--such as her old husband--who would find her lifestyle a burden). It's the thing she can do the best and what she finds the most fulfilling. These things, and the life you live ultimately being your choice, are what's really most important for a happy lifestyle. This was the message.

Also, I'm sorry, but leave it to Commie to do the ONE mistranslation that'll completely sour some people's opinions of the episode, and wreck the entire meaning of the line and the theme... Fucking hell. I'm not even sure how one could make those two mistakes in tandem, especially when they don't even make any sense like that (literally or in the context)... Did the translator just hate the content of the episode (being possibly offensive to them in nature?) and think "why not, he's basically saying as much anyway, let's change what's actually said here a bit so then it'll at least be hilarious"?

THIS!!! ALL OF THIS!!!
Apr 25, 2020 4:50 PM

Jul 2017
MiiyoSon said:
Zaugr said:

Cooking, housekeeping and caring for her other half is what makes her happy, and it's her best way of giving back to him too (as someone who greatly appreciates it, unlike many men--such as her old husband--who would find her lifestyle a burden). It's the thing she can do the best and what she finds the most fulfilling. These things, and the life you live ultimately being your choice, are what's really most important for a happy lifestyle. This was the message.

THIS!!! ALL OF THIS!!!

I am also in agreeance. I thought it was pretty obvious this episode was more about freedom and choice rather than dur hur housewives
Sep 11, 2020 11:12 PM
Feb 2015
I'll resist my urge to argue with a 5 year old comment that somehow interpreted a woman being worried her boyfriend was hurt on the job because he was hours late without calling as jealousy and possessiveness because she was assuming he was cheating.

It's nice to know what was actually up with that animal line. Personally I thought the real life bits were well-implemented for the most part. Was kind weird to watch grown adults get excited about alphabet soup.
Aug 9, 2021 8:36 AM
Jul 2018
Seems like a mistranslation in some parts. Anyway another weird episode. Although, this had better character designs compared to the previous one, the presentation of the story was much weaker and straight forward, not that is a bad thing.
Mar 8, 2022 3:18 PM

Feb 2020
Well, much better than 1st episode (husband was not a stock character). Though still a cheating promotion anime.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jan 27, 2023 6:11 AM

Aug 2020
Surely the first episode was better than this but this episode was nowhere near being awful or stupid romance, alone from the first eps to second one we can see that there is one thing common in both episode that is the main girl being naive and immature type.

This episode really depends on how you interpret a show , some people will like the aspect of how just a small place, like kitchen,of someone can be their whole world and they can cherish it instead of having big place where nobody is their to care or love for them, the second thing is that how she developed the thinking that the only way she can make anyone love her is through fulfilling Appetite or hunger of a man whether it is food or herself(sexual desires) which also increases the insecurities which is clearly shown when that guy is late(shows her immature and naive nature since in every relationship there have to be trust especially when you chose that relationshipby yourself) but the guy she found is nice who is truly happy to have someone at his home waiting for him which was missing in his life until he met her. Really loved this episode.

Also fk those mistranslation which made people feel even more weird.
Feb 24, 2023 4:25 PM
Dec 2021
wow 
This one was soo good
Women really fall for guys over the most unexpected things.
Oct 22, 2023 12:52 PM

Sep 2016
1/10 for this episode, just appalling to see how NHK is trying to promote and sweet-talk the pre-millennial housewife lifestyle.
These conservative lads must be really desperate to boost Nippon's birthrate with their subtle patriarchal messages.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Nov 10, 2023 10:06 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to Zarutaku
1/10 for this episode, just appalling to see how NHK is trying to promote and sweet-talk the pre-millennial housewife lifestyle.
These conservative lads must be really desperate to boost Nippon's birthrate with their subtle patriarchal messages.
@Zarutaku
That's not what's going on here at all, go and read the other comments in this thread.
I didn't like the episode for other reasons, but that take is just plain wrong.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawamo wo Suberu Kaze Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Lieila - Apr 20, 2011

53 by 0x0718 »»
Nov 13, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Otona Joshi no Anime Time Episode 3 Discussion

Naruleach - Mar 24, 2013

26 by Kristiwazhere »»
Nov 10, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Otona Joshi no Anime Time Episode 4 Discussion

tsubasalover - Mar 24, 2013

40 by Kira_Illusionist »»
Nov 4, 2023 12:04 PM

» That feel when you check your list and notices that this show has more episodes...

Pizzaholic - Dec 27, 2012

17 by ueki27 »»
Mar 19, 2013 2:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.