Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 5, 2007 7:46 PM

Aug 2007
Pick your poison...=P

(Just my Opinions)

Waffle subs is responsible for the ongoing game translation of Clannad, so we can expect their script to be top notch quality! The typesetting for the op/ed is very pretty, but the text is normal throughout the episode. Both groups in this joint project has handled previous Key adaptations before (Kanon 2006).
Encodes used: XVID, AC3

Philanthropy and Sekai are new groups who are vying for the competition that is Clannad. The typesetting for the op/ed is better on waffle subs, but the episode text is better. Have no notches under their belt, but every new group starts that way. One thing to note is that their translation of the script vastly differs from waffle and eclipse, very noticeable on the OP and throughout the episode itself. That may be a good or a bad thing depending on your preferences.
Encodes used:XVID,MP3

Static-Subs and Eclipse have a wide following amongst the fansubbing community. Script is also top notch, but waffle subs may have the upperhand due to their actual handling of the original game script. The typesetting for the op/ed is better on waffle subs, but the episode text is better. Both groups have worked on previous Key adaptations (Kanon 2006 and Air TV)
Encodes used: XVID, MP3, Vorbis (Also in h264 if you visit the site)

More subs for Clannad may pop up, but the competition is already fierce. All groups have released their subs in as little as a day (I guess two if you consider where Japan is). Guessing we don't have to wait that long to get our fix? xD

Waffle and Sprocket Hole lack experience, but their work on Kanon 2006 and the Clannad game script might give them an edge once the story of Clannad has been established.

Philanthropy and Sekai are new to the subbing world against established groups. Guessing they will have to try harder for their subs to earn a rightful spot in our drives.

Static and Eclipse have a large following as well as numerous notches under their belt. This alone can convince numerous people to drool over their releases.

All Groups have confirmed the release of the widescreen version of Clannad when available. SS-Eclipse and Waffle-Sprocket will release in h264, Sekai hasn't confirmed any encode codec as of yet.

*My vote is on Sprocket Hole and Waffle House just because they handled the actual Clannad game script and is rumored to release the 16:9 version when available*

Poll made while I am waiting for food to finish cooking =P
(Will edit again once the 16:9 version comes out)

Edits:
Added Mellow Fansubs (no description)
Added a.f.k. Fansubs (still no description)

Will edit post and poll once waffle releases 16:9 version.
PimpToadOct 29, 2007 3:12 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 5, 2007 8:01 PM

Oct 2007
I watched the Philanthropy and Sekai-Fansubs version of the first episode.
They did a good job and i can recommend their work, tho you can`t go wrong with
Static-Subs and Eclipse.

I´m not familiar with Sprocket Hole Subs and The Waffle House. I have to check out their version of the first episode.
Oct 5, 2007 8:25 PM

Aug 2007
Well, the waffle and sprocket subs were pretty good, so no complaints there. :D

Though I've heard mixed things about Philanthropy. Eclipse is a well established group, so they should have good work.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Oct 5, 2007 8:48 PM

Apr 2007
SS&Eclipse always deliver, so I'm sticking with them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2007 8:59 PM

Feb 2007
I always like trying out new groups. I'll be checking them all out :P I remember having trouble deciding on a final Kanon 2006 group :P
Oct 5, 2007 9:00 PM

Jul 2007
It would definitely be SS-Eclipse they did a great job subbing the first episode, I'm not sure about Sprocket, but I know for a fact that SS-Eclipse's version was better than Philanthropy :P
Oct 5, 2007 9:08 PM

Jul 2007
I'd have to go with SS-Eclipse, they did an awesome job subbing the first episode. I'm kinda glad I held out until their sub was finished due to some of the opinions on the other groups (plus you can never go wrong with them)
Oct 5, 2007 9:10 PM

Aug 2007
I rate it this way...

A tie between SS-Eclipse and Sprocket-Waffles with Philanthropy heading up the rear.

My previous experience of Philanthropy on Higurashi Kai left a bitter taste in my mouth, that and I feel the other subs were of higher quality overall.

SS-Eclipse definitely towers over the competition with their massive catalog, but waffleis the group that is currently translating the Clannad game.

Once the Clannad story gets established and future episodes start getting a little spoilerish, waffle will have the advantage due to their intensive knowledge of the game script.

Opinions will definitely change once Clannad airs in 16:9 3weeks? from now. I've only heard from waffle about the 16:9 release, can anyone confirm for ss-eclipse and sekai?

As for the Kanon 2006 subs...

a.f.k>SS-Eclipse>AQS

a.f.k will also be a big contender in Clannad Subs due to the awesome job they did subbing Haruhi. This is considering that they actually pick up the series. With their track record considering kyoani works (Kanon, Haruhi, Lucky Star), they might join the frey as well.
PimpToadOct 5, 2007 9:26 PM
Oct 5, 2007 9:26 PM

May 2007
SS and Eclipse have been great...will definitly be using them.

Oct 5, 2007 9:27 PM

Oct 2007
After watching the 3 different versions: I think i´ll stick with the SS-Eclipse version. They have never let me down and they are doing great work with Hayate no Gotoku and apparently with Clannad too.
Oct 5, 2007 9:28 PM

Jul 2007
Me = Another Static/Eclipse fan.
Oct 5, 2007 10:26 PM

Aug 2007
Random comparisons from the different subs (just video, taken by MPC)
I'm kinda bored...xD
Might do one with subs if I'm still bored...xD

Feel free to guess which is which, although I would think the h264 one should stand out.
Oct 5, 2007 10:26 PM

Jul 2007
yeah cant go wrong with SS-Eclipse...but like someone said if a.f.k. picks it up they would probably be my choice then
[center]
Oct 5, 2007 10:27 PM

Apr 2007
PimpToad said:

a.f.k will also be a big contender in Clannad Subs

Not if they plan on releasing one episode a year.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2007 10:42 PM

Aug 2007
Neverender said:
PimpToad said:

a.f.k will also be a big contender in Clannad Subs

Not if they plan on releasing one episode a year.

They released Haruhi every 7 days...and if I recall correctly, haruhi aired one episode a week no? Lucky Star was also released every 7 days, but they hit a snag around episode 15?. The series was still finished in a timely manner, so no biggy.

If they do join the frey, then we can expect the same release schedule.
Oct 6, 2007 12:04 AM
Sep 2006
Well from what I know, a.f.k. lost their translator for a while, but apparently they got him/her back, so they should be getting back on schedule. Hell, they released three episodes of Lucky Star in three days. That's an accomplishment =D
Oct 6, 2007 12:27 AM

Jul 2007
I Have to go with Sprocket Hole Subs and The Waffle House, mainly because i watched Kanon 2006 done by them. Great job on Kanon and episode 1 of Clannad. SS-Eclipse i haven't seen but they do great work also. Philanthropy and Sekai's episode 1 was ok but I thought Waffles was much better.
Way15Oct 6, 2007 12:32 AM
Oct 6, 2007 12:55 AM

Aug 2007
I've watched Philanthropy's, but the subtitles went too fast imo. So now I'm downloading SS
Oct 6, 2007 1:01 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Statuic and Eclipse are always superior.

And about a.f.k., their translator moved to a completely different country, that's why their releases were halted for a while.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 6, 2007 1:52 AM

Oct 2007
i think eclipse would be the greatest one...they done good job fansubbing hayate no gotoku and shakugan no shana...then there is no doubt they will done a great job fansubbing clannad too...
Oct 6, 2007 2:07 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
On a note about the SS-Eclipse subs:

Translator Kunio-kun said:
These are full-screen versions, and approximately in two weeks, the wide-screen version will come out, which contains more content on the side that got cut off to make this full-screen version. We will be releasing the full-screen version to quench your desire to see the show, and then be re-releasing the wide-screen version as they become available.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 6, 2007 6:28 AM

Sep 2007
I'll stick to The Waffle House & Sprocket Hole Subs ^-^ There isn't any particular reason... just love their quality.
Oct 6, 2007 10:04 AM

Aug 2007
*made changes to original post about new pieces of information*

Its way to early to really judge the subbed versions of Clannad. If anything, SS-Eclipse is the clear winner as of now.

Waffle-Sprocket has a little video glitch at around 1:40? that messes up the transition. Considering that no one will keep the 4:3 when the 16:9 comes out, they can still redeem themselves.

Sekai-Philanthropy released a v2 today, guess even they saw the amount of errors they did to the script. If that is any indication of things to come, they will have some problems drawing the crowd.

SS-Eclipse did a marvelous job with Clannad, and the h264 version is just so pretty. If their work on the 4:3 remains the same on the 16:9, the other groups will have a tough competition on their hands. That and most seems to be just picking their group based on their reputation, not fair comparisons of all the subs.

A.F.K. is the wildcard in this competition. They will probably just release exclusively on the 16:9, which is the only one that matters really. If the quality of their work can be on par or surpass that of Haruhi, they might give SS-Eclipse a run for their money.

Oversubs ftw! xD
Oct 6, 2007 10:12 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
PimpToad said:
*made changes to original post about new pieces of information*

Its way to early to really judge the subbed versions of Clannad. If anything, SS-Eclipse is the clear winner as of now.

Waffle-Sprocket has a little video glitch at around 1:40? that messes up the transition. Considering that no one will keep the 4:3 when the 16:9 comes out, they can still redeem themselves.

Sekai-Philanthropy released a v2 today, guess even they saw the amount of errors they did to the script. If that is any indication of things to come, they will have some problems drawing the crowd.

SS-Eclipse did a marvelous job with Clannad, and the h264 version is just so pretty. If their work on the 4:3 remains the same on the 16:9, the other groups will have a tough competition on their hands. That and most seems to be just picking their group based on their reputation, not fair comparisons of all the subs.

A.F.K. is the wildcard in this competition. They will probably just release exclusively on the 16:9, which is the only one that matters really. If the quality of their work can be on par or surpass that of Haruhi, they might give SS-Eclipse a run for their money.

Oversubs ftw! xD

Lol, well said. :)

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 6, 2007 10:50 AM

Apr 2007
cyruz said:
On a note about the SS-Eclipse subs:

Translator Kunio-kun said:
These are full-screen versions, and approximately in two weeks, the wide-screen version will come out, which contains more content on the side that got cut off to make this full-screen version. We will be releasing the full-screen version to quench your desire to see the show, and then be re-releasing the wide-screen version as they become available.

Oh god yes.
Oct 6, 2007 12:03 PM

Aug 2007
Neverender said:
SS&Eclipse always deliver, so I'm sticking with them.

Agree with you.
Oct 6, 2007 7:52 PM
Aug 2007
all of them aren't that bad, but im sticking with SS and Eclipse

失去的愛情不能回來
Oct 14, 2007 11:38 AM

Sep 2007
I am gonna go with SS & Eclipse.
Oct 15, 2007 11:07 PM
Sep 2007
Seems like everyone is going with SS and Eclipse!
Oct 21, 2007 12:21 PM
Oct 2007
SS-Eclipse FTW~
Oct 22, 2007 2:14 PM

Sep 2007
AkaiNamida said:
Seems like everyone is going with SS and Eclipse!

Well, as far as i know SS-Eclipse is the fastest. ^^
Oct 22, 2007 2:18 PM

Sep 2007
Eclipse. There are no other fansubbing groups.
Oct 23, 2007 10:38 AM

May 2007
if afk starts subbing it in the widescreen version then i might switch over to them but for now i might stick with ss-eclipse
Oct 23, 2007 1:13 PM

Oct 2007
I'm sticking with SS-Eclipse even if a.f.k. throws their hat into the ring. While they did a great job on Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star they'll be several episodes behind SS-Eclipse.
Oct 23, 2007 1:39 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
afk are great, no doubt. But since SS-Eclipse will also release the widescreen versions with their subs, I don't have a reason to switch.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 23, 2007 5:16 PM

Aug 2007
Wow, overwhelming majority for SS-Eclipse...xD
*feels sorry for the other subbing groups*

Anyone knows if Clannad on 16:9 will be on 720p?
Ah Clannad in all its glory...*drools*

Well back to comparisons...
In terms of release speed, all three groups seem to release at the same day. Always see all three groups in Baka-Updates as I get home from school.

AFK won't really be behind since they will probably release Clannad exclusively on widescreen. The big question is whether they can beat the speed of SS-Eclipse who will probably just rehash their translations and stuff on the widescreen version.

I personally have been downloading only the SS-Eclipse translations for episodes 2-3 just because they release it on h264.

Wafflehouse only released the SD (Standard Definition) in XVID, big minus for me.

Philanthropy and Sekai subs seem to have given up...*wouldn't blame em for doing so considering their competition*

A new fansub group called Mellow joined the frey, subbing episode 3 in XVID. In my opinion, they should go pick another series since a group with no experience whatsoever doesn't stand a chance (although they did release on the same day).

I hope afk enters the battlefield soon, my upgraded computer can finally play all those videos side by side so more comparisons! xD

*is currently drooling over HD version of Clannad*

Oh yeah before I forget, I can just restart the poll back to zero when the 16:9 comes out right? Although doubt the numbers will change, would be nice to be able to change your vote when every group finally subs the HD version.
PimpToadOct 23, 2007 5:20 PM
Oct 23, 2007 6:17 PM

Oct 2007
I'll pretty much like most of the people here, I watched the 1st episode in [Philanthropy and Sekai-Fansubs] but as soon as the episode came out with an [SS-Eclipse] release I deleted my current episode, just to have my fave fansub group's one. ^_^
Oct 24, 2007 7:47 AM

Sep 2007
I always watched fansubs from SS-Eclipse (or just from SS or Eclipse ^^). So I'm used to download files with prefix [SS-Eclipse] ^^

but.. if A.F.K. will release HD version, I will watch their fansub.. ^^ (HD rulz xD)
!~:baka^yarou:~!
Oct 24, 2007 7:52 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
cyruz said:
afk are great, no doubt. But since SS-Eclipse will also release the widescreen versions with their subs, I don't have a reason to switch.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 24, 2007 2:03 PM

Aug 2007
lol did you just quote yourself? xD
Oct 24, 2007 2:15 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I did, since ppl who said they're downloading SS-Eclipse said they will switch to afk if they do the widescreen versions :D (which is not necessary since SS-Eclipse will do them, too - not that afk aren't worth it).

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 24, 2007 4:39 PM

Aug 2007
No shameless advertising! xD

The HD versions need to come out already ='(
Oh and I believe every Clannad group is releasing the HD versions, but I doubt that would mean much considering SS-Eclipse's overwhelming following o_O
Oct 28, 2007 5:00 PM

Oct 2007
Why is everyone begging for HD versions to come out when it already looks good enough with the widesreen release???

I know there is a slight improvement with HD versions but not enough to go crazy over. ^_^
Oct 29, 2007 6:40 AM

Aug 2007
I think the quality improvement depends on the show being done in HD over either a group or station resize. If you run your PC through a bigger HDTV, like I do, then you will notice it more as the picture gets streached to fit the TV's resolution and it isnt as crisp .

I'm all for HD releases as long as it is proper HD.

Oct 29, 2007 3:25 PM

Aug 2007
a.f.k has made their appearance!

Nothing but quality translations from them, but the xvid encode will have to go up against the h264 version of SS-Eclipse. Actually, afk's encode seems to be crisper than SS-Eclipse's h264 version. I don't get their xvid release so I can't comment about it.

I'm questioning the quality of h264 when it comes to anime. I'm not really that knowledgeable about video, but h264 seems too washed out compared to xvid.

Here are two screenies from the 16:9 version by SS-Eclipse and a.f.k.

http://i20.tinypic.com/2d6yjn.jpg
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/9041/afkclannad01avi00000rs3.png

Still waiting for waffle release...
Anyway, I prefer the a.f.k translation over SS-Eclipses. Although Eclipse releases faster, we have already seen the SD versions so this is just a question of archiving. Which release do you want to archive?
Oct 30, 2007 5:07 AM

Oct 2007
There really isn't much difference in the picture quality expect judging by those pics [a.f.k.] looks slightly more crisp, if you know what I mean.

The major difference is with the translations and I prefer [SS-Eclipse] for their translations because it is more of a English interpretation of Japanese whereas [a.f.k.] seems too Americanized. This is what I have experienced from watching Lucky Star. ^_^
Oct 30, 2007 5:12 AM

Apr 2007
Kyoshiro said:
I'll stick to The Waffle House & Sprocket Hole Subs ^-^ There isn't any particular reason... just love their quality.

Even thou i do quite ador eclipse and SS, Theres just something about TWH/SHS that attracts me, and i like their op/ed karaoke better than eclipses/SS's for CLANNAD... Also i got TWS/SHS's trailers etc for clannad ages ago, and since their newish, i just wanna stick with them u know?
Oct 30, 2007 10:48 AM

Aug 2007
I cant really see much difference in the picture quality of a.f.k and eclipse releases.

edit: not exactly sure what happened as the pic in the spoiler didn't match the one on my pc. I think opera didn't reload the changed image it to photobucket properly. Sorted it now. Sorry about that ^_^;

Added another pic while I was at it
_edge_Oct 30, 2007 12:00 PM

Oct 30, 2007 11:14 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
edge_666 said:
I cant really see much difference in the picture quality of a.f.k and eclipse releases.

If I wanted I could squeeze my eyes and say that there's a bit more blur on SS-Eclipe's version.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Huge directory of Clannad wallpapers

Malus92 - Sep 24, 2012

3 by KingOfPneumos »»
Feb 12, 8:38 AM

» How many males except me has Clannad as nr1 anime? ( 1 2 )

martver - Sep 2, 2012

64 by desu_ruka »»
Feb 12, 2023 10:16 PM

» when it was released

Kradaxe - Dec 25, 2021

4 by Kradaxe »»
Feb 13, 2022 8:17 PM

» Clannad vs Kanon vs Air TV

Tutti_Love - Dec 22, 2007

17 by Endless_end »»
Dec 29, 2021 2:09 PM

Poll: » Favourite anime arc in Clannad ( 1 2 3 )

game8910 - Mar 22, 2008

113 by Endless_end »»
Dec 29, 2021 2:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.