Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 18, 2013 6:50 PM
Dec 2012
Before I began watching this series, I read many posts that highly praised the "Phantom Troupe" and regarded them as one of the "best' Villain organizations.

Aside from Chrollo and Feitan, I do not see why or how they are so unique.

Their character designs are mediocre, their emblem is generic. Their ideals are meh and the individuals that make up this organization themselves may just be wild animals like Gon.

My resolve is this - The Anime Market has been over-saturated with these Super Villain characters that has desensitized us, the viewers. Essentially, Hunter x Hunter is a very late bloomer due to being rebooted so late in the game.

In the late 1990's and early 2000's, I would of probably had higher acclaim for the Phantom Troupe.
Mar 18, 2013 6:54 PM

Sep 2011
Leaulux said:

My resolve is this - The Anime Market has been over-saturated with these Super Villain characters that has desensitized us, the viewers. Essentially, Hunter x Hunter is a very late bloomer due to being rebooted so late in the game.

In the late 1990's and early 2000's, I would of probably had higher acclaim for the Phantom Troupe.
Pretty sure your just looking to hard into things and are misinterprating you having a different opinion of a group

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 18, 2013 7:18 PM

Jun 2012
If we're just comparing evil Shonen Supervillain groups, what makes the Phantom Troupe stand out for me is the sense of camaraderie between each of the members and how they feel like real people. That's why I found them sympathetic yet evil/badass at the same time when I first read the Yorknew arc. No backstory for cheap characterization just excellent writing and characters from Togashi's mind. We see a wide array of emotions within various characters in the Phantom Troupe

Using Nobunaga as one example
- Pissed at his teammates for thinking of leaving him in the nen bag just to make room in the car
- Grieving at the loss of his best friend Uvogin
- Laughter and happiness at the antics of Gon and Killua

Similar groups in shonen have that mustache twirling villain feel where they are the kind of antagonists you'd see in a old James Bond movie when all the villains are gathered around the huge table plotting what dastardly deeds to do next. The 1st Austin Powers movie spoofs that trope quite nicely actually.
HybridMBLMar 18, 2013 7:58 PM
Mar 18, 2013 7:29 PM

Jun 2012
Wtf man...

Nobunaga and Phinks are complete badasses.

Phinks runs around snapping motherfuckin necks...

How isn't that intimidating.

Hybridbloodszak said:

- Laughter and happiness at the antics of Gon and Killua

Originally he just liked Gon for the fact his personality was so similar to Uvogin's being an enhancer and all...

They added Killua in to make him look more like a child molester.
Mar 20, 2013 11:38 AM

May 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Pretty sure your just looking to hard into things and are misinterprating you having a different opinion of a group

this
Mar 20, 2013 8:21 PM
Dec 2012
No they suck. If they ever come back after this Arc, I am dropping this show.

fuck Fuck FUCK
Mar 20, 2013 11:56 PM
Feb 2013
Because they are so freaking badass and not your typical villains in shounen manga. They don't aim to conquer the world or destroy humanity or somewhere along the line. They do occasional charity and even though they are so powerful, they don't go around killing without reasons.

Each of the members of Genei Ryodan is also unique in his or her own right. Shalnark for instance, is a licensed hunter and bright in dealing with electronics. Kortopi can create artificial objects or even buildings by nen, Pakunoda who can learn others' memory by touch and bullet shot and Machi who excels in healing.

Other members of the troupe are also strong and brutal. Easily a well-rounded and mysterious villain team a manga of this genre can offer.
Mar 21, 2013 1:13 AM

Sep 2012
Leaulux said:
No they suck. If they ever come back after this Arc, I am dropping this show.

fuck Fuck FUCK

Your posts never fail to make me laugh

But yeah, they appear in Chimera Ant Arc, so GG.
FaZe_FlumeMar 22, 2013 6:57 PM
Mar 21, 2013 5:26 AM
Mar 2013
I just can't take it. I've been viewing this forum as a guests now i decided to join so i could post.

Did you forgot why people loved yorkshin arc? I agree on Hybrid's post they felt like real people. The conflict between the troops and Gon's team and you compare both which who will succeed. Both team has their conflict for Kurapika it is to choose between saving his friends or revenge that he has been waiting his whole life. And for the troupe how can you not mention Pakunoda on her heartbreaking decisions and sacrifice she make. The troupe is on a conflict between saving their leader or not. This is were they bring up the their emotions and makes the viewer themselves felt them even they are just freaking killer machines.
Jan 24, 2019 3:43 AM

Jan 2017
I'm extremally biased towards the Troupe, first of all, Yorkshin is hands down my favorite HxH arc, the way everything turns and all the twists, the PT designs are so cool, honestly, and i think is awesome the fact that they are cold-blooded murderers but still have such a believable bond with each other, they feel so human.
You can call everything i writed bullshit or useless, but in the end the true is that the Troupe are f* awesome.
awesome
Jan 24, 2019 3:47 AM

Dec 2014
I think PT is kinda stupidly exaggerated by author as "final boss" sort of villain.

Mafia was the one who control the continent and each has some sort of strong bodyguards.

Yet, these so-called bodyguards single-handedly killed by one of the member.

They even kill all the mafia bosses like it is nothing.

If they wanted to, I believe they can even control whole continent.

The power balance suck sometime.
Signature removed. Check your inbox

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

62 by omorashi »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.