Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 5, 2014 5:48 PM

Nov 2012
Damn, the last two episodes of this show just raped my feelings : ( !
Oscar's death was sad and a heroic death for a heroic character, it was well-done. But for some reason it didn't hit me as Andre's death did. Don't get me wrong.. Yes it was an amazing death, but Andre's was overall better imo.
The ending is great, couldn't ask for something better. The king and and the queen got what they deserve. But I felt sorry for them though.

Rose of Versailles, an epic tale of love, history and drama.
8.5\10
Feb 25, 2014 9:37 PM

Jan 2014
Solemn silence and a sigh followed by a "wow.." preceded the ending of this superb story for me. Simply amazing and breathtaking, you get that same feeling as when you finish one of those epic novels like Ana Karenina or Brothers Karamazov..it doesn't get out of your mind easily.

I've seen a lot of anime and this one is something truly special. It is a masterpiece, I'll give it a 10/10 even though it gets a tad slow at times. A new top 10 anime for my list and a top 10 character in Oscar François de Jarjayes...adieu Oscar. ;(
Apr 2, 2014 11:23 PM

Dec 2011
10/10 Loved it. It had a couple of minor flaws, but I'm willing to overlook it. So sad that Oscar had to die because she's a really great character. The love story between her and Andre was really something else.

Apr 2, 2014 11:29 PM

Nov 2013
This was a spectacular show.

The drama was suspenseful and nothing felt unimportant.
All the character designs were superb and they were all unique with their own personalities.
The fact that it is based around real events and people made it even better, quite accurate as well.

The death of Oscar and Andre were handled well, the romance between them was sweet.

Overall the story was told very well.
9/10
shoujoshit from the 70's
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2014 4:50 AM

Apr 2010
great anime, a really great one
I loved the end, the beginning and everything in this anime
i hontoni can't describe my feelings after finishing it
And I'll proudly give it 10 out of 10.
Jul 25, 2014 10:17 PM

Oct 2009
ill give it a 9/10

it was very well-made and was a high-quality drama.

this hallmark of this show was character relations/development; and the relationship between andre and oscar that was illustrated over the course of decades was the crown jewel

however, there were some slight inconsistencies in character and this show couldve been a lot more powerful, in my opinion.

i know this was a shoujo but this show coulve used more violence and profanity too lol

P.S. Andre is a badass
Oct 8, 2014 9:14 AM

Jun 2014
OMG, just finished watching this. So beautiful. I remember watching it when I was younger and it made me like my history lessons more since I visualised them as anime lol. 8.5/10
Oct 8, 2014 11:21 AM

Mar 2012
Bravo! I haven't enjoyed an anime so much in a while. Such a fantastic story with unique and interesting characters :) Oscar is hands down my favorite female character in anime/manga. Glad I gave this series a shot, don't regret watching a single moment of it.
Oct 13, 2014 3:32 PM

Oct 2013
Wow!!! That was so engrossing and interesting. My 304th anime and aside for recent HxH it has been more than 3 years I enjoyed a show so much!!! 11/10( you know, when you want to erase the memory of it just to experience it again)

Very sad series but at the same time very beautiful... How come I didn't watch it sooner, its been in my PTW for years :/
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Oct 19, 2014 5:19 PM

Jul 2011
SuperSaiyen said:
Side Note: This is what a true manga adaptation should be : It should take the best of a manga, filter the useless stuff, add and animate an original script to make the series even better.

Well, I suppose so... but that's just because the manga of Rose of Versailles needed alot of filtering. I think the anime skipped a few important scenes and lost the mood/intention of others though. Other than that, I think the anime does a better job as well. More serious and less oldschool shoujo art (ugh -shivers-).

Overall, I liked Oscar and Andre. And I love the tragedy everywhere.

As a series that explores why the French Revolution took place, it did a decent job. Not so much on the Revolution itself though, I mean, that epilogue. I love how the narrator just listed off deaths and aftermaths. But it was a decent watch, and I'm glad I took the time to finish this classic.
Feb 20, 2015 11:41 AM

Nov 2014
It was an interesting ride, although not quite historically accurate, but it was accurate most of the time; there were also some weird time frames at which I was confused, but it might be a problem with of being misinformed of the actual time frames.

I didn't like it much, mainly because of the overdramatization to some things.
I also didn't like the forced romance between Fersen and Oscar, although it was one-sided, still felt unnatural. And wish that Oscar and Andre had a happy ending, lived happily ever after, but, I guess this works as well.

I wish they covered the French role in the American Revolution, as well as the fronts they were fighting against the Brits.
The economic situation was also not becoming covered until very late into the show, as well as dismissing Turgot from his position as Finance Minister and appointing Jacques Necker. They never showed that nobles dismissed what Turgot suggested, as well later on what Necker suggested for their economic reform.
The political intrigue was there at start, but it kind of vanished later on. I was expecting that there would be political intrigue for a serious historical show, but I guess I was expecting too much. However, it's not the anime fault for being what it is, rather, the manga.

Other thing I noticed as well, was that the characters often times they laughed after almost every finished sentence, especially the "antagonists" and it became really annoying as I kept noticing it more and more often.

There were some little inconsistencies that I found, especially, during episode 11* I believe it was, when Oscar sees the life of citizens and then in the coming episodes it's completely forgotten; the accusation that it was Oscar's fault for the Queen's miscarriage was also instantly forgotten in the coming episodes and other little things that I have forgotten.

All in all, I wish more was covered, the economy, the role of the French in the American Revolution and more political intrigue.

I will miss the characters of this show, even tho I didn't like it much.
ourielFeb 20, 2015 1:58 PM
Mar 10, 2015 11:16 PM

Apr 2014
well Oscar has gained a position in my top 5 favorite characters of all time. I'll just ignore that she died :)

that ending made me laugh "everyone died and everything is terrible, fin"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2015 1:45 AM

Jan 2010
Cross dressing. Rich people. Sparkles.

Ignorance isn't always a bad thing, as it leads to delightful discoveries at every step. Rose of Versailles is an anime which I have held off for a long time, for I had high expectations for it. As with all shows I have high expectations for, I needed to plan for the right time to watch it, as well as watch as much other anime as possible to create comparisons. Else, I wouldn't be able to understand why I'd like or dislike it since I would have nothing to serve as points of reference. When I began Rose of Versailles, I didn't know what to expect. Actually, I didn't know a blasted thing beyond what I could see from passing images and people praising Oscar offhandedly. This was on purpose though, as I also did not want to spoil anything. Now though, I can say this: Rose of Versailles show is a tragedy of a specific kind.

Countless. A sheer countless number of shows imagine themselves as tragic, depicting horrible things happening to their characters for drama and plot. Here though, history demands tragedy to occur, and the narration tells us to dismiss any wishes for a happy end. This isn't a show where it tries to blind us with shock value. This also not a show where the unexpected occurs at every corner, trying to surprise and impress the audience with twists and turns. It's a show that is predestined to end in tragedy, and never hides this fact. So, as a viewer, I can do nothing but watch as things crumble into pieces. The characters aren't fighting for a happy ending, they're struggling to get to the next day without blood being shed.

Of course, destiny exists here. It's preordained by history. Events that are to happen will happen, not by the choice of the writers, nor is it by the will of the audience, and certainly in absence of whatever the characters desire. Artistic liberties certainly exist in the form of revisions and implementing elements of fantasy, so I'm thankful Rose of Versailles for not doing anything like that. They're certainly fine ways to spice up old stories, but they're transparent attempts at trying to make things interesting. On the other hand, if I wanted true history, I'd go read non-fiction or text books.

Perhaps though, the amount of dramatic events occurring does seem excessive, but that may just be the nature of the French Revolution. Then again, when the drama originates between characters - fictional characters at that - it becomes harder to defend when talking about the story as a whole. It turns the anime to something akin to a stage play if you will. Yet, that may not necessarily be a bad thing. This all assumes there is some mold that every anime should fit into, and that very thought inspires thoughts of cliches, fads, trends, and the inability to make anything different from the norm. There are a multitude of other shows with an over saturation of drama, but at least here, the drama works as it's not senseless. They relate to real-life events and chain together with the overarching narrative of the characters. Unless I'm terribly forgiving and oblivious, I saw nothing unnecessary or included for the sake of shocking the audience. Anything that does shock the audience comes from the absurdity of the people of the time.

Desires. Gender and sexual identity. Social hierarchy.

Rose of Versailles, I believed, had a multitude of themes, but those themes were only what I saw. It would be easy to speak at end about how the many themes portrayed are still relevant today. The cries of the 96% against the richest 4% eerily echoes the protests of the 99% against the richest 1% today. Yet, while those were the things I saw, I doubt they were what the show actually intended to get across. It's a story. A theatrical play. A history book fictionalized with all the romance and drama of the French Revolution. Before considering anything beyond the scope of the anime, the most immediate aspect of the show to address is how it performs as an anime. In other words, as entertainment. Does this do the show injustice? Perhaps, but at the same time, it's unavoidable.

As an anime, Rose of Versailles takes enough liberties to keep things interesting with its original characters, but it follows the events of the French Revolution. As a result, they are just as much witnesses as they are victims of it all. They serve as vehicles for the viewer to become more engaged with the story. This is not something new though. At the very least, it does so with a high amount of tact and respect towards both its subject material and its audience. The show holds nothing back. Everything is laid bare, and the brutality of revolution is not obscured by flashy overt hamminess and eccentricity. It's a terrible and frightening event, and a present-day winner could become the sacrificial lamb the very next day. The instability and chaotic mob-driven madness, along with the tragedies occurring at all levels of society - it's something a text book can't get across, nor is it something a story overridden by fantasy could give respect to.

I enjoy picking apart anime and understanding why and how they work. Even more so, I love assessing my own reactions and the reactions of other viewers, as they lend to different interpretations of the same anime. However, with Rose of Versailles, I enjoy it first as an anime about characters just trying to live their lives to the fullest, whatever that may lend to. Themes, interpretations, and other such things come second, as this would undermine the weight of the characters' plights.

Through hearsay, the most I knew about Rose of Versailles was someone named Oscar who was the "greatest female protagonist in anime" or something of the sort. Upon finishing, I would contest that statement. Of course, I would believe there are other candidates for that position, but that's besides the point. That statement is misleading, as the entire cast - Oscar included - exist as cogs and wheels in the grand scheme. All are important in making the show work. Rather than strictly praising Oscar, I would instead praise the cast as a whole for creating a wondrous tragedy, one that is best viewed, but never reenacted. But, that sentiment in of itself may just be idealism at its finest, who knows.

Romance. Tragedy. Revolution.

Lastly, the most pronounced observation I could make about this show is the relationship between Oscar's health and the state of France. The country in its full glory featured Oscar as bright, young, proud, and full of life. As she grew older, Oscar became frustrated, disillusioned, and discontent, mirroring the stark economic disparity between the rich and poor. Finally, her sickness coincided with major turning points, and her death occurred directly before the victory at the Bastille. If there was at least one piece of symbolism that I could identity as a purposeful one, I believe Oscar herself was it. Much like the life of a rose I guess. It buds, blooms, whither, and dies off. Yet, that gives way to more flowers as time goes on, but alas, I'm not about to go purple prose, nor do I want to.

I'm giving Rose of Versailles a 10/10 for now, as it's still fresh in my mind. It's the first time I've given something that rating in years, and it's something I don't do easily. I know that the series was rather rushed, as I found myself getting lost over which year we were in, who was currently in love with whom else, and why certain individuals are suddenly removed from the show only to return later. Also, there were many convenient events placed in succession, such as the ordeal with Rosalie and her mother leading up to Oscar's confronting Jeanne for the last time. Again though, that might just be the story being so damned taut that one line of thought leads into the next without fluff. Over time, I'm curious to see how my opinion of this show changes, or if it even does change. I can see why Rose of Versailles is so highly regarded now, but with time, I wonder if I'll become one of those whom praise it as well. Who knows.

So, as a tl;dr, I was impressed as hell.
ShockedMay 29, 2015 1:54 AM
Jun 26, 2015 3:42 AM

Mar 2012
This is the Most Inspirational Story i`ve ever seen, Best Drama ever written, Absolutely Best Shoujo Anime of All Time.

Oscar is now the most well-written female character in history of anime/manga.

12/10
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Aug 4, 2015 2:31 AM

Jul 2013
Oh it was Osamu that did the second half? I was under the impression that he was the one that died during the production. I was about to watch one of his other shows but i don't know whether i want to anymore because i personally felt that the second half of the show was mostly shit. I have to leave it as that because it's been too long to point out any specific things to why i hated the second half so much.

I think part of it had to do with going overboard with it's action scenes. If i remember correctly the whole fight at the bridge was downright retarded.
Oct 1, 2015 7:39 AM

Nov 2013
The most tragic shoujo series, period. But its presentation is very cheesy. I'll never recommend it to newcomers
DannyTheDonkeyOct 1, 2015 7:47 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Dec 12, 2015 7:28 PM

Oct 2012
I loved this so much. After watching a lot of newer anime recently, I things like this is very refreshing. I loved all the over the top shoujo sparkley visuals. It really feels like a hidden treasure finding this. I found it kinda hard to just start watching it, as it's been on my planned to watch list for awhile. Older stuff can be hit or miss with just clicking with an audience member I find.

I already got one of my friends hooked on it, and I plan on telling more people about it.

10/10
Jan 11, 2016 11:51 AM
Nov 2014
Goddamnit...what an ending. It's a historic tragedy, so I was expecting this sort of ending. Fersen tho, WTF ? I can't believe it... well, at least Alain survived the battle!

I really feel bad for both Oscar and Marie the most. Marie wasn't a bad person by any means, naive yes. I'm glad that Rosalie did told her about Oscar before she was executed. She can die in peace, knowing that the person she trusted the most has also passed away.

6/10 from me. I feel like the story was just ''okay'' but this show has great characters and acceptable drama.
Feb 17, 2016 2:19 AM

Dec 2012
Wow, I was so moved when the queen bowed in front of the people.
That the first scene in this series that make me nearly cried. Poor Antoniete..
I was saying she should be death in tragic way because her stupidity, but maybe she didnt deserve it. ah.. I don't know.

Feb 27, 2016 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
I appreciate how the rest of Antoinette's life is her realizing how lucky she is, and what the people outside of Versaille were suffering from. Her beheading was something I've been looking forward to.

Historical accuracy is nice too, Rosalie was indeed Antoinette's last servant who was there with her in the very end.

History is bloody, Oscar is the best, and power corrupts.
Apr 21, 2016 7:38 PM

Nov 2013
Wow what a horrible anime. I know you can't change history, but at least Oscar should have survived in the end, everyone having a tragic ending makes it feel just dull and stupid, I can't help regretting the time I wasted watching it and hating Ikeda Riyoko forever. Oscar had ONE work, and that was to protect the queen. She left her and went to the side that was winning. This destroyed the whole point of the series. If Oscar had remained loyal to the queen and died trying to protect her in the end, even that would have been a better ending than the ridiculous one this anime had. 0/10
ColtBuntlineApr 21, 2016 7:49 PM
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Jun 17, 2016 9:03 PM
Feb 2013
An amazing series overall, but I was a bit dissatisfied and sad with the ending.

After Oscar dies it pretty much just says "Oh, and every body else? Yeah, they died horrible, miserable, bloody deaths too, now go f--- yourself :)))) ".

Obviously, if you know your history you'd know those deaths were coming,but still...I wish they had shown some of Robespierre's Reign of terror.

I liked that they did that epilogue thing though, because i was starting to think that the royal family would really never come out again. I know the monarchs were unfit rulers, but I couldn't help but feel bad for them, even for Marie Antoinette. Again, I never got the satisfaction seeing Louis XVI tell Fersen off for f-ing his wife. But then again, Fersen did try to save their lives even though it failed.

Still, an amazing series. There just aren't enough historical based anime out there, so I'm very glad this one exists. The characters were great, very few of them were dull. I really like the historical accuracy of this show too(though obviously certain things had to be embellished. Overall 'd gives this show an 8/10.
Jun 23, 2016 11:09 AM

Jan 2013
A very unique but nonetheless solid take on the final episode. Overall, RoV was a good show with the occasional brilliance followed by moments of mediocrity. The over the top presentation was something I just couldn't get used to, despite the 2nd half being so good as it is. All in all, a show I would recommend to people who likes to enjoy political shows with a mash of soap opera.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 9, 2016 6:34 AM

Apr 2013
It's hard to believe that a decent title like this was produced at the time when the only thing a viewer cared to see on his screen is a bunch of flashy battles between giant robots with huge explosions or extraterrestrial invasion.
Sep 4, 2016 9:41 PM

Apr 2014
pkKodama said:
Wow what a horrible anime. I know you can't change history, but at least Oscar should have survived in the end, everyone having a tragic ending makes it feel just dull and stupid, I can't help regretting the time I wasted watching it and hating Ikeda Riyoko forever. Oscar had ONE work, and that was to protect the queen. She left her and went to the side that was winning. This destroyed the whole point of the series. If Oscar had remained loyal to the queen and died trying to protect her in the end, even that would have been a better ending than the ridiculous one this anime had. 0/10

'I know you can't change history but you should do it anyway because I can't stand non happy endings'
Also, protecting the queen wasn't the point of the series, it was about the difference in class and this ending fits perfectly with it.
Oct 3, 2016 9:13 AM
Oct 2016
Whaatt?? I'm surprised anyone would like the anime better than manga version. I especially dislike the potrayal of Andre, there's too much anguish. I think the anime focused more on the tragedy than the actual story of 'liberty, equality, and fraternity'. Oscar and Andre's relationship should define those three words (like how it went in the manga) rather than just circling that "waiting for Oscar to realize her feelings" thing.
Dec 25, 2016 1:26 PM

Oct 2012
Gahh, ahhhhhh AHHHHH!!!

Truly moved...
Oscar's progression through the series was highly commendable that left a strong impression. She stuck to what was right, and that's what led to her end. A rain of bullets pierced her like the thorny vines of a rose garden. Most my tears were placed into Oscar's agony and pain over the lose of Andre, but the series still managed to make feel just as heartfelt for her daring and last command ever issued by her.

Tragic through and through, but Oscar and Andre really got the best treatment; their end of suffering has passed, and maybe, just maybe... they're riding horses in the serene and glittering countryside~

Adieu..
ShoryuDec 25, 2016 1:30 PM

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Feb 11, 2017 3:50 PM

Sep 2013
Really loved Oscar's development in both her relationship with Andre and her views on the monarchy's corruption and the social class at that time. The ending was a cold stab in the heart, would've preferred a happier ending, but Oscar would've died in a few months anyways. So maybe her death was for the better, after all she gets to be with Andre again.

Overall, I still prefer the manga but the anime itself was still pretty great.
8/10
*Screaming autistically through the screen*
Mar 21, 2017 11:04 PM
Mar 2017
So did Marie ever find out that Oscar died or--? I got confused. I love the ending, even if my heart is broken in half but I mean-- All along I was like, "yep, its the French revolution so prepare yourself!". I just feel like the reactions towards Oscar's death weren't significant and it bugged the hell out of me.. I know all these thongs were going on but.. Not even did they show the reaction of his father and nanny.. And not ever Marie's.. I just got sad because of that.. Rosalie was pure in her reaction when she died and I just wanted to see that on everyone else but.. Other than that... 9.5/10 :')
Apr 7, 2017 4:52 PM

Feb 2016
The last two episodes were so sad... Altough they made some stupid mistakes (For example: Fersen said he was going to Belgium in this episode, but Belgium didn't exist back then), i really enjoyed this show.

Apr 23, 2017 4:46 AM

Jun 2016
When Oscar died and we were treated to a series of stills featuring her, I thought that the show had finally run out of budget and it would be pictures all the way to the end - not that I would have minded; but I'm glad they showed the aftermath - and it was poignant indeed, and just as unforgiving as what happened in reality.

Overall, it was a lovely series, and it captured some of the feelings I had when I watched LoGH. Historical dramas, if done well, are something else. I'm giving this a 9/10, 9 only because the first half is relatively weak. The second half had some excellent character arc culminations, but the approaching sense of doom and the foreshadowing of the Revolution is what truly made it amazing. It might have been an 8/10 for me if Oscar stayed loyal to and died for the sake of Antoinette - but she relinquishes her post and takes the side of the Revolution. This was unexpected, but at the same time, it made me love her character's portrayal all the more. She is steadfast enough in her convictions and wise enough in her perspective to do the right thing, even if it means giving up her life's work.

I was initially impressed when the show ended right after mentioning Fersen becoming a cruel ruler and dying at the hands of the mob - but on looking up the Wikipedia, there was no mention of his cruelty. He simply happened to side with an unpopular King candidate, and was suspected for the death of the popular one - which eventually lead to his lynching. Certainly quite a sad fate.
May 1, 2017 8:50 AM
Jul 2009
This is easily one of the most phenomenal anime series ever made and on a personal note, the most impactful, too. The blending of fiction with historical events is so smoothly done by the original creator that it's hard to point out any flaws in the story-line at all. And it could not have been made into a better anime. It had a seamless plot right from the beginning with each episode having its own special place in the bigger picture; even the slower episodes had significant character / scenario development. I am totally satisfied with the length of the anime, it could neither be shorter or longer. There aren't many anime series that can compete with it in that regard, not even LOTGH which takes it own sweet time to develop.

Having released as far back as 1979, I'm profoundly impressed by how beautiful the animation is. Studio Tokyo Movie Shinsha puts a good chunk of the more recent anime to shame with their work on this.

Oscar's death was the most emotional moment for me; while I really wanted her to be able to celebrate victory at Bastille and have a chance to smile again after the most depressing moments of the preceding days, i wholeheartedly acknowledge that she could not have had a better last scene. For dying on the battlefield like the lioness that she's always been suited her persona more than dying on her death bed coughing blood would have. She was a true hero and an exemplary fighter until her last moments when she cried for her comrades to continue firing at Bastille.

Also, i hardly see anyone talking about how awesome the OST is. It has some of the most meaningful and moving tracks that I have ever heard. The music struck a chord and aroused the most vivid imagination in me.
BlinkspotMay 1, 2017 11:00 AM
Jul 9, 2017 5:49 AM

Jul 2013
9.5/10. Best shoujo anime ever made, although compare to the manga they did reduce the mushy romance stuffs and add more social and political commentary.
Jul 11, 2017 12:55 PM

Jul 2015
Well, as I think it was clear following my posts in the discussion threads, I didn't like this anime at all, I don't really want to accept everything as "people and what happens is like history says" but rather judge it as how I enjoyed it as a story itself, and most of the characters were unbearable, I kinda can resume it as "Rose of Versailles, or why the French Revolution only happened because pretty much everyone was either retarded, or retardedly evil." Stuff like basically everyone loving Oscar whenever she was going bothered me together with the sparkles (don't mind me, shoujo isn't my thing), and there is stuff bothering me like everyone basically forgetting about Polignac saying that Marie's misscarriage was due to Oscar, everyone critizised Oscar yet in the next episode nothing happened and it stayed like that.

Awful start, meh final parts, I expected way more of an anime that is considered similar to LoGH, a series that I'm myself surprised that I liked, but the execution was way worse in my opinion. I'm still considering between a 2 and a 3, but yeah, not something I enjoyed at all.
Aug 6, 2017 1:58 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
And then everyone died. The end. ouo
I liked this anime.
Though, while taking French, I learned a lot about this period along with Marie Antoinette herself, I'm tempted to look up even more. I feel they succeeded in giving her flaws but also making her one someone can relate to. You understand why she did the things she did even though you knew they weren't the best things.
Watching everything unfold was great, and following Oscar through it was enjoyable.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 14, 2017 2:45 PM
Sep 2017
I watched this anime when I was a kid 10+, but I decided to watch it again last week. Versailles No Bara is a real masterpeice. I give it a 10/10, it's a sad ending but beautiful as Andre and Oscar are reunited in death and buried in their favourite wood. I agree with most comments, you don't find such quality nowadays. I found a link with VO version subtitled in English and I can't stop replaying my favourite episodes. Amazing!!!
Sep 27, 2017 1:48 AM
May 2012
ah, the pictures shown after oscar's death were absolutely beautiful.
well, there were times where i thought "what the hell is going on", but this was definitely great. i especially like the dramatic effects and those sparkles haha. i really wish i had watched this years ago. i'll be looking into the french revolution on google.
Nov 25, 2017 2:17 PM

Oct 2010
This was so far ahead of its time. Its ideas on gender roles, its historical accuracy in a time before internet, its excellent cinematography and visuals, etc. It is a historical drama based on the events leading up to the French Revolution, yet it doesn't stick to history so rigidly that it feels like a documentary. It follows events accurately enough that it is a worthwhile educational experience (this coming from someone who has already studied 18th Century France beforehand), but also knows when to take artistic liberties. For its relatively long length, it is surprising just how tightly written a series it is. Well directed, rich in symbolism and visual metaphors, consistently engaging and possessing a complex and richly characterised cast, I don't see how this deserves anything less than a perfect score.
Dec 14, 2017 5:01 PM

Nov 2016
The best show I've seen in a while, really awesome stuff. Foremost for it's incredible captivating story based on real events,but also the more than well written characters, directing and music were absolute top notch imo.

I also love these kind of tragic ends,cause they're reflecting the harsh reality,in fact in this case for real,but Jesus, do I feel empty and depressed now :/.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 2018 2:29 PM

Mar 2014
This was sad. What a bittersweet ending. I feel like the drama was executed excellently but some writing decisions were a bit clumsy. I really loved the political intrigue parts and the exploration of each character's feelings, romantic or otherwise. 9/10
Feb 5, 2018 12:12 AM

May 2016
Danae said:
This was sad. What a bittersweet ending. I feel like the drama was executed excellently but some writing decisions were a bit clumsy. I really loved the political intrigue parts and the exploration of each character's feelings, romantic or otherwise. 9/10

How can something that can be summarized by "Everyone died, then things were horrible forever." be "bittersweet"? This anime is the thing every tragedy in the medium builds upon, and ends in the bleakest possible note.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Feb 5, 2018 4:11 AM

Mar 2014
Lease_of_Life said:
Danae said:

How can something that can be summarized by "Everyone died, then things were horrible forever." be "bittersweet"? This anime is the thing every tragedy in the medium builds upon, and ends in the bleakest possible note.

The last scene, the aftermath of the french revolution left me with a bittersweet feeling. Or to be more specific, looking back at the entire plot, I can remember both sad and happier moments. That doesn't negate the fact that the story was a tragedy. I swear some of yall are trying to nitpick every unimportant comment lmao
Apr 24, 2018 11:26 PM

Apr 2016
It's rather on the nose, how the ending goes out of its way to portray the revolutionaries as "the good and righteous side" and the soldiers who fought for the royalists as "the bad guys", considering how surrendering soldiers were brutally massacred, nobles beheaded for simply being nobles, widespread mob violence against foreigners, paranoia resulting in tens of thousands of people accused of being counter-revolutionaries being killed by a kangaroo court, and the creation of a warmongering state the plunged Europe into war for decades, subjugating other nations to the same unequal status the previous monarchy was accused of. It's particularly telling, that Louis XVII's being taken away is treated as some sort of "justice" to Antoinette, disregarding the fact that the boy had done absolutely no wrong and was brutally abused in captivity. Hm...

Otherwise, it was a very good series. I preferred the first half to the second half, and was rather disappointed that the unique direction of the Madame DuBarry episodes didn't stick, but at least got those glorious pastel-chalk frames! I loved the flash frames of Oscar with the cannons firing behind her.

I'm down for an adaptation of the sequel manga or Gunka no Baltzar in this style, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Alas...
Apr 30, 2018 8:10 PM
Jan 2018
Com certeza o mais completo, belo e trágico anime que já assisti. Até agora não posso acreditar que minha querida Oscar se foi! Por quê?!!! Mesmo assim gostei do final...mas ao mesmo tempo espero pelo final feliz de sempre. Este anime vai para meus favoritos!
May 21, 2018 10:21 AM

Sep 2016
Sad to see how it ended. Would have loved to see more Antoinette before she got lopped off. Du Barry's end was not mentioned, though. She had an unfortunate end too.

Expected to see a young Napoleon somewhere on this episode but it never happened, but that's okay.

Overall, it's truly a timeless masterpiece.
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Oct 12, 2018 9:36 AM
Jun 2016
Just finished Rose of Versailes...and all I can say is...what a difference 31 years makes..

31 years ago, I saw some episodes of the Rose of Versailes (Italian)..and the idea I had back then was it was a romance anime...with lots of steamy scenes...and beautiful scenery.

Now, the anime strikes me as more of a commentary on societies with wide disparites , less a love story. Oscar is the viewpoint character...through whom we see how the massive poverty and disparities in society led to the fire of Revolution....which burned a lot of people in its path (as expressed in the last half of the last episode via Rosalie's story telling).

One good thing about this anime is that the King Louis and Queen Marie Antionette are not portrayed as puch clock villians...they are portrayed as nice people, really (too nice)....but throughout the series,their lack of vigilance, initiative, and (in Maire Antionette's case, refusal to listen to good advice, even from her lover and her mother)..lead them down a path of errors and more errors...and by the time they relaise their mistake...it it s too late. Too late.

Another good thing is the artwork. It is dated, but good. Two things stand out...the use of light and shading and close up techniques with expert applicaiton of music...jarring music for heigtened tension...and calm joyful music for happy times...even now some 39 years after this anime came out...still stand the teast of time. Again, the characters are shown maturing...especially Marie Antionette. Episode 1 sees her as a rather innocent teenager...by episode 34, she looks more mature. (good no comic book time here).Oscar's maturity via the art work is more subtle...but it is very clear.

Still on the social commentary....it is good, without being preachy. We hear a lot of talk about how bad things are....from a diverse set of characters...Madame Du Barry, Robespierre, a doctor, an innkeeper (3 % of the population lives off the 97%)..and so on. The social commentary is woven very well into the flow of the tale...especially in the last ten episodes...as we speed towards the climax.

And what a climax...where we see Oscar, who at the begining is a young, fiar thinking, but naive (sort of) youngster...and by the last few episodes, we see a mature old young woman...who sees the problems of her country and sees a new age is coming...and despite her doubts, lends her aid...despite being sick...to the new movement.

Am glad I watched this anime....and while I don't like remakes...it would be good if this anime could be remade for a new generation (at least Sailor Moon and Macross and Gundam get repeated remakes)...if not for the entertainment, for its value as a piece of commentary...still relevant today.

Of course...this anime is also about love, and sacrifice.Andre and Oscar cannot be together because of convention, same as the Queen and Fersen. Thankfully, they do awaken to their love...but it is tinged with regrets.(A reminder that we should not forget about acting fast when we fall in love, not so). Despite her love for Fersen, the Queen would not leave her husband...and despite his wife's infidelity...the King would not leave her side. And Andre, despite the fact he can not be with Oscar....still shows his love for her by constantly being of great use to her...of being her servant. And damm the unrrequited love....Oscar loves Fersen...who is in love with someone else...yet because she wants Fersen to be happy, she choses to be his friend....sacrificing her love.

A great blast from the past....9/10. (Sorry, the artowrk is still dated...and there is a tendency to get Oscar to the scene of the action too much...and there is too much overuse of horses for my liking).

Now on to Alpen Rose.!
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
Oct 12, 2018 9:38 AM
Jun 2016
TheSmilingShoujo said:
Sad to see how it ended. Would have loved to see more Antoinette before she got lopped off. Du Barry's end was not mentioned, though. She had an unfortunate end too.

Expected to see a young Napoleon somewhere on this episode but it never happened, but that's okay.

Overall, it's truly a timeless masterpiece.

Du BARRY'S end was mentioned by the narrator at the end of her arc...she got lopped off too.
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
Oct 16, 2018 3:05 PM
Jun 2015
Just finished Rose of Versailles, finally one would say. Like many others, I had postponed watching this masterpiece for too long. But I'm glad I finally did it in the end. It was a very tragic but also an interesting and enjoyable ride. Based on the events of history with some fictional characters.

The animation is outstanding when it comes to the series that was made in 1979! Holy moly. I was stunned. Loved the characters, especially their personalities and development. Pacing was good, many camera angles were used, etc. Because of those reasons, the interest towards RoV stayed solid constantly.

Truly a great story with realism and cruelty. No mercy for the audience. Slightly underrated even though it is quite popular. Still, I think it needs more attention. Do not underestimate older series, what I've learned, is that it's not only about the amount of frames or quality of animation or sound what it takes to be a great title.
Oct 21, 2018 7:29 PM

Oct 2016
Shocked said:
Cross dressing. Rich people. Sparkles.

Ignorance isn't always a bad thing, as it leads to delightful discoveries at every step. Rose of Versailles is an anime which I have held off for a long time, for I had high expectations for it. As with all shows I have high expectations for, I needed to plan for the right time to watch it, as well as watch as much other anime as possible to create comparisons. Else, I wouldn't be able to understand why I'd like or dislike it since I would have nothing to serve as points of reference. When I began Rose of Versailles, I didn't know what to expect. Actually, I didn't know a blasted thing beyond what I could see from passing images and people praising Oscar offhandedly. This was on purpose though, as I also did not want to spoil anything. Now though, I can say this: Rose of Versailles show is a tragedy of a specific kind.

Countless. A sheer countless number of shows imagine themselves as tragic, depicting horrible things happening to their characters for drama and plot. Here though, history demands tragedy to occur, and the narration tells us to dismiss any wishes for a happy end. This isn't a show where it tries to blind us with shock value. This also not a show where the unexpected occurs at every corner, trying to surprise and impress the audience with twists and turns. It's a show that is predestined to end in tragedy, and never hides this fact. So, as a viewer, I can do nothing but watch as things crumble into pieces. The characters aren't fighting for a happy ending, they're struggling to get to the next day without blood being shed.

Of course, destiny exists here. It's preordained by history. Events that are to happen will happen, not by the choice of the writers, nor is it by the will of the audience, and certainly in absence of whatever the characters desire. Artistic liberties certainly exist in the form of revisions and implementing elements of fantasy, so I'm thankful Rose of Versailles for not doing anything like that. They're certainly fine ways to spice up old stories, but they're transparent attempts at trying to make things interesting. On the other hand, if I wanted true history, I'd go read non-fiction or text books.

Perhaps though, the amount of dramatic events occurring does seem excessive, but that may just be the nature of the French Revolution. Then again, when the drama originates between characters - fictional characters at that - it becomes harder to defend when talking about the story as a whole. It turns the anime to something akin to a stage play if you will. Yet, that may not necessarily be a bad thing. This all assumes there is some mold that every anime should fit into, and that very thought inspires thoughts of cliches, fads, trends, and the inability to make anything different from the norm. There are a multitude of other shows with an over saturation of drama, but at least here, the drama works as it's not senseless. They relate to real-life events and chain together with the overarching narrative of the characters. Unless I'm terribly forgiving and oblivious, I saw nothing unnecessary or included for the sake of shocking the audience. Anything that does shock the audience comes from the absurdity of the people of the time.

Desires. Gender and sexual identity. Social hierarchy.

Rose of Versailles, I believed, had a multitude of themes, but those themes were only what I saw. It would be easy to speak at end about how the many themes portrayed are still relevant today. The cries of the 96% against the richest 4% eerily echoes the protests of the 99% against the richest 1% today. Yet, while those were the things I saw, I doubt they were what the show actually intended to get across. It's a story. A theatrical play. A history book fictionalized with all the romance and drama of the French Revolution. Before considering anything beyond the scope of the anime, the most immediate aspect of the show to address is how it performs as an anime. In other words, as entertainment. Does this do the show injustice? Perhaps, but at the same time, it's unavoidable.

As an anime, Rose of Versailles takes enough liberties to keep things interesting with its original characters, but it follows the events of the French Revolution. As a result, they are just as much witnesses as they are victims of it all. They serve as vehicles for the viewer to become more engaged with the story. This is not something new though. At the very least, it does so with a high amount of tact and respect towards both its subject material and its audience. The show holds nothing back. Everything is laid bare, and the brutality of revolution is not obscured by flashy overt hamminess and eccentricity. It's a terrible and frightening event, and a present-day winner could become the sacrificial lamb the very next day. The instability and chaotic mob-driven madness, along with the tragedies occurring at all levels of society - it's something a text book can't get across, nor is it something a story overridden by fantasy could give respect to.

I enjoy picking apart anime and understanding why and how they work. Even more so, I love assessing my own reactions and the reactions of other viewers, as they lend to different interpretations of the same anime. However, with Rose of Versailles, I enjoy it first as an anime about characters just trying to live their lives to the fullest, whatever that may lend to. Themes, interpretations, and other such things come second, as this would undermine the weight of the characters' plights.

Through hearsay, the most I knew about Rose of Versailles was someone named Oscar who was the "greatest female protagonist in anime" or something of the sort. Upon finishing, I would contest that statement. Of course, I would believe there are other candidates for that position, but that's besides the point. That statement is misleading, as the entire cast - Oscar included - exist as cogs and wheels in the grand scheme. All are important in making the show work. Rather than strictly praising Oscar, I would instead praise the cast as a whole for creating a wondrous tragedy, one that is best viewed, but never reenacted. But, that sentiment in of itself may just be idealism at its finest, who knows.

Romance. Tragedy. Revolution.

Lastly, the most pronounced observation I could make about this show is the relationship between Oscar's health and the state of France. The country in its full glory featured Oscar as bright, young, proud, and full of life. As she grew older, Oscar became frustrated, disillusioned, and discontent, mirroring the stark economic disparity between the rich and poor. Finally, her sickness coincided with major turning points, and her death occurred directly before the victory at the Bastille. If there was at least one piece of symbolism that I could identity as a purposeful one, I believe Oscar herself was it. Much like the life of a rose I guess. It buds, blooms, whither, and dies off. Yet, that gives way to more flowers as time goes on, but alas, I'm not about to go purple prose, nor do I want to.

I'm giving Rose of Versailles a 10/10 for now, as it's still fresh in my mind. It's the first time I've given something that rating in years, and it's something I don't do easily. I know that the series was rather rushed, as I found myself getting lost over which year we were in, who was currently in love with whom else, and why certain individuals are suddenly removed from the show only to return later. Also, there were many convenient events placed in succession, such as the ordeal with Rosalie and her mother leading up to Oscar's confronting Jeanne for the last time. Again though, that might just be the story being so damned taut that one line of thought leads into the next without fluff. Over time, I'm curious to see how my opinion of this show changes, or if it even does change. I can see why Rose of Versailles is so highly regarded now, but with time, I wonder if I'll become one of those whom praise it as well. Who knows.

So, as a tl;dr, I was impressed as hell.
That sums up everything I was thinking perfectly.
Jan 5, 2019 2:54 PM
Jan 2012
Personally didn't like the second half as much as the first. Felt kind of melodramatic and like it had lost its way a bit. I think the art style also became a bit ugly in the second half. André's story is very sad.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 39 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Dec 13, 2008

46 by Epiccgaymer »»
Today, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 3 Discussion

yma981 - Sep 24, 2008

41 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Mar 26, 3:45 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DonKangolJones - Dec 2, 2008

55 by Epiccgaymer »»
Mar 25, 6:33 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 36 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Dec 2, 2008

37 by Epiccgaymer »»
Mar 25, 6:09 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 38 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Dec 13, 2008

41 by shikoiru »»
Feb 17, 3:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.