Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 9, 2019 8:21 PM

Aug 2016
this episode execution was for the most part bland compared to how fun-tastic all the rest was. Overall, great anime and so far the best shoujo I ever watched.
MichaelJacksonMar 5, 2019 3:41 PM
:v
Jan 15, 2019 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
The Queen deserved someone to call her off for her hedonism on expensive stuff in a time of crisis. Everyone were hoping some good out of their ruler yet she gave 'em nothing. So selfish and self-centered. I can't believe she thought she was a good person just by being nice, kind and generous towards those around her.
Hello? You just simply forgot you have a kingdom to rule and people to feed? How funny.

But I'm not gonna lie, the royal family meeting its end was brutal and sad.

I'm glad tho that, in the end, they included that part of Robespierre and Saint-Just loosing power and being beheaded short time right after the royal family's tragedy.

Neither side was righteous in their philosophy. Death strike them like karma.
Mar 3, 2019 8:12 PM

Mar 2011
This show started to go astray the moment Oscar joined the revolutionaries. That moment rendered everything before it meaningless.
Apr 7, 2019 4:24 PM
Dec 2014
Incredible anime just like Legends of the Galactic Heroes 9/10.Each episodes have suspense.I wouldn't say no to a remake for the anime and why not an extension to bring more details about the revolution.
Sep 2, 2019 6:11 PM

Dec 2012
Despite being just a few lines the addendums on the fates of Robespierre/Just and especially Fersen were really heart-rending. That even those who instigated the violence were not able to escape it in the end, and that Fersen was permanently ruined by what could be summed up in his quote, "The only true love is one in agony."
Dec 9, 2019 11:28 AM

Sep 2014
Well it was fun ride to be honest. However the first half of the show was much more interesting than the latter. I started losing my interest after jeane's story ended and that black knight story started, after that it was a complete downfall. Aside from that it was a good show, one can easily enjoy this story while eating cake.
Jan 5, 2020 7:50 PM
May 2019
With the deaths of many, so comes the inevitable end of this series. Well, this was quite the journey. Perhaps one of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen, despite the tragedy that it revolves around. A true masterpiece.
Jul 13, 2020 9:04 PM
Jan 2017
This series is absolutely perfect. Only a 10/10 is justified.

Aug 19, 2020 4:09 AM
Mar 2018
how can i say this ...? I cried a lot. I knew what would happen to Antonieta and the others, but Oscar and André? Of course not ... even sad and tragic I think this was the best ending, it don't have to be happy to be a good one.
Aug 26, 2020 3:21 PM
Jan 2020
someone can explain me why the anime made Oscar to have an illness and all that build-up and in the end Oscar died from guns shots
Sep 8, 2020 2:43 AM

Oct 2009
Few days after finishing this series...

still miss Andre so much Q__Q
and Oscar-samaaa... :')
Sep 11, 2020 2:01 PM

Jul 2015
Vive la révolution! I can see how this old shojo series is considered a classic (even though the first part didn't felt a bit weaker compared to the rest). Even with fictional military woman Oscar they did a good job at portraying historical events and showing the different sides. Learned a lot like how the royals were just not fit for their position with the king useless on his own and the queen Marie just simply ignorant of her position fullfilling every selfish desire causing the people suffering too get worse. Expected a tragic end for most character but still sad to see. I have to agree with what Alain said even though its still sad: Oscar and André died at a good time, not having to witness the cruel aftermath of the revolution.

Jan 29, 2021 11:33 PM
Aug 2020
a classic
8/10 tho, some characters felt like plot devices and shit happened to them just because for no reason
Feb 3, 2021 4:28 AM

Mar 2020
Wow, what a great anime. Everything was done beautifuly this episode, I couldn't have asked for a better ending. From start to finish this anime never had a bad episode, the only bad thing about it to me was that it ended tbh. RIP to Oscar and Andre and also the Queen and King. Historical anime is always so good, but Versailles no bara was different from others that I've seen... the animation, narration, music, and Dezaki Osamu's postcard memories. This anime was so tragic yet so beautiful, I'm really gonna miss all the characters. 10/10
Joe, Joe Forever....
Feb 25, 2021 12:30 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
They call it a classic and now I can see why. Absolutely timeless quality with memorable characters, timeless art and a story that never really has any filler in it, which is rare for the time. Loved this.

I know I'm a tiny minority here, but I actually enjoyed the first half with all the palace intrigue and petty squabbles between nobles. Lighthearted, but it actually paints a vivid picture of how oblivious the nobility were about what was happening outside their castle walls. In this context, I applaud the balanced portrayal of Marie Antoinette. History is rarely black and white and she's no exception.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 2, 2021 11:06 PM

Aug 2018
A truly beautiful, sad, and fucked up anime. I'm on the verge of crying. What a powerful anime! Not only that, but everything that happened actually happened irl.

Apr 10, 2021 5:59 PM

Aug 2010
I got angry for Fersen. A coward until the end.
The king showed some development and the Queen mantained her noble behavior until the end. I loved when the soldier explained to her that he watched his son death while she was laughing in Versailles.

Great end. Good anime!
May 23, 2021 1:29 AM

Sep 2010
I'm still in awe on the turn of events starting from Oscar meeting the princess then ending up to an outraging french revolution. Rose of Versailles looks like a sweet, lighthearted typical shoujo but was really a dramatic, tragic mess. 40 episodes was a damn good long ride despite of some parts that feels off.

Kinda feel bad for Marie Antoinette, she was a charming little princess but grows up the wrong way. The execution wasn't that explicit but it was impactful. When her face was shown while the guillotine was subtly operating, I can't react positively. That scene was hurtful to watch even if she did so many mistakes which affects the citizens plus her cheating which make me began to dislike her. She looked remorseful but it's too late. Felt bad for their son too, he was just a child. I think the portrayal of the revolution should've been longer not only in the last 2 episodes. I don't know much about history but it feels short imo especially the royals were not present in the past episodes, makes me curious what were they doing and what were their thoughts before the revolution triggered. Anyways, the damage has been done, they have to pay the price for all this devastation. And woah Fersen, didn't see it coming for him to become heartless and meet the same tragic fate. Happy that Rosalie and Bernard lives on.

Adieu, Oscar...Au Revoir.
SakuRainbowMay 23, 2021 3:18 AM
Jun 4, 2021 4:56 PM

Jul 2019
Wow. I just finished watching this...and I'm left speechless. Going into this, i didn't expect much. But damn, the show went beyond my expectations with its depiction of its themes. And, Oscar and Antoinette characters were brilliantly executed. Definitely going on my top 10 list. Truly a timeless masterpiece. Maybe even more so than LoGH.
LordSozinJun 4, 2021 4:59 PM

-[ ~ā™«~ ll Credit ]-
Oct 27, 2021 12:33 PM

Nov 2017
After reading up about it on wikipedia, it seems that the reason why Fersen actually left Antoinette and Louis was to mislead pursuers, not because Louis requested him to, which makes much more sense.

It also seems that Fersen was lynched by the people because of false rumors that the von Fersen family was behind the poisoning of the Swedish crown prince. He was bitter and hated though so that did have an added effect like the anime said, but the poisoning of the prince was what lead to the lynching actually taking place.
Feb 17, 2022 3:40 AM

Mar 2020
amazing that this still holds up 40+ years later, the first arc was kinda meh but it started getting really good after that

all the characters here were great (except bitch ass Saint Just)

i’m not even into shoujo but this & Oniisama e are top tier
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Mar 30, 2022 6:06 PM

Dec 2021
Fuck... I had an idea of how this anime would've ended, but the ending was somehow much darker than I ever could've imagined. Such a cold and brutal way to end an already cold and brutal anime. And nobody lived happily ever after. 9/10
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. šŸ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 14, 2022 10:38 PM
Sep 2017
What a emotional ride, from start to finish.

All the characters are likeable(even I feel bad for Marie Antoinette). It kinda sweet that she still remember Oscar.

Overall, I give the shows a 10/10

Adieu!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2022 1:11 PM

Dec 2021
gotta look up the history of the French Revolution now ... the majority of these characters existed in real time ..
---

Oscar the Revolutionary .. got a chance to marry and make love to Andre .. a tragic end , but was filled with happiness in all but the very final moments
---

Fersen become a cold blooded ruler sadden me .. those split frames with him , the king , and Marie was some masterful artwork ..
---

Power to the People - Huey P Newton
---

atleast Oscar didn't die by Saint Just hands .. that scondrel was after her the entire series!!
---

this lowkey makes me wanna check out Osamu Dezaki's other works .. I've only seen this and Tomorrow Joe -- but both are masterpieces

What an amazing journey all and all ,, more than a few tears were shed during these past few episodes .. all the wenches have been exterminated ...

Poor Antoniette .. sucha beautiful woman , yet so disconnected from society outside nobility ...

Off to research the real French Revolution now!!
Jun 18, 2022 2:56 AM

Apr 2020
Very few series’ for me I consider a 10/10 this was no doubt one of them. I haven’t felt this emotional since watching HxH, One Piece, Gintama, Steins Gate. Like man, what a beautiful anime yet sad and tragic at the same time. Not once did I ever feel like this anime was slow. Every single episode was good to me. Some with flaws? Of course, but nowhere near enough for me to drop it or say “it’s boring.” A true masterpiece in my eyes. Oscar without question has entered in my Top 5 favorite anime characters of all time. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I will go read the manga now and think about this anime for the next five days, lol.

Adieu Oscar & Andre šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­
MilesSmiles57Jun 30, 2022 9:19 PM
Jul 10, 2022 9:28 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, that's the end.

The one thing I disliked about this series was how multiple plotlines such as Jeanne's schemes or Rosalie's revenge of Polignac and episodes would alternate back and forth on them.
Also it felt strange how Antoinette's character slowly disappeared as time went on and everyone got older.

But this was a great period soap opera drama on the French Revolution. 8/10
Dec 2, 2022 11:58 AM
šŸ„Š CHAMPION šŸ„Š

Apr 2016
Nice last episode, divide en two parts....

first part, the tragedy
the secon part, the history

Great anime, mixed fiction and cruel reality!!!

8/10

kekeke
Dec 3, 2022 6:38 PM

Mar 2018
After 5 months watching this, I finally reached the end.

My first 1/10.
Dec 8, 2022 8:55 AM

Apr 2016
What an ending! That scene when Louis tell Fersen he can leave them and Marie's reactions was splendid, until the very end this show kept delivering amazing scenes and even when I wasn't fond of Bernard narrating how things went down the fact that it leads to the question about the rose made me look at it in a better light, Oscar stayed true to her essence, the narrator telling how things ended in such cold way make this ending quite perfect.

I ended up liking Oscar and Marie Antoinette a lot.

Even with the whole Andre and the Black Knight arc or that silly gun duel Oscar had against that annoying duke, this was consistently entertaining and had a magnificent directing with many amazing moments.

Such a sumptuous show.
Mar 26, 2023 1:05 PM

Jul 2019
It is definitely one of the 10/10 anime for me.

In a sense it reminded me of LotGH, doesn't help that Oscar looks like Reinhard haha.
The ending left me very much broken and in tears, especially with the death of Andre and then Oscar, with the narator in the end pretty much saying "yeah all the charcters you followed for 40 episodes and grew to love all had shitty lives and got killed"
Excpet maybe Rosaline who's ending was bittersweet.

The only thing I didn't like is - through out the entire show, there was a good balance in naration between royalty and revolutionaries without anyone depicted as villainous or rightful, but in the very last episodes I feel like royalists were depicted as bad guys, while revolutionaries (at least thonse under Bernard) as good guys.
With very little mention of reign of terror, outside of "oh year Saint Juste and Robespierre had a power struggle and got each other killed"
Revolutionaries were basically bolsheviks of the time, executing nobles just because they're nobles, economic harships grewing into revolutionary fervor and paranoia where people started to accuse and behead each other, and mob who attacked anyone they considered to be counter-revolutionaries.
As I said, they were no different, if not worse than bolsheviks.

Another thing, I think it should have been a bit longer, to give each character a proper ending, especially royal family and some nobles.
Instead of (they died off screen) or (here's a 5 minute explanation to all that happened)

But other than that, I enjoyed it a lot, and regret putting it away for a pretty long time.
Apr 22, 2023 5:08 AM

Apr 2020
Definitely one of the best anime I watched recently

9/10
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

Apr 30, 2023 4:50 PM

Aug 2011
Riyoko Ikeda did an excellent job inserting fictional characters into a non-fiction work with ease. I'm not sure why I ever overlooked this anime; it was very impressive. 
May 28, 2023 11:23 AM

May 2023
Wow. Heartbreak. But, also, joy, that I finally got to watch this legendary series. No wonder it's considered among the best of its era. Yes, it is.

Just think about it. We 're talking about the 70s! And here comes a series that's not afraid to portray themes of social justice, inequality, power struggles, gender roles and themes of identity. It accurately depicts the conditions in which the aristocracy lived, during the late 18th century – the conditions and its corruption. And features one of the best protagonists that I have seen in any anime, ever.

Really... How many anime are there, old or modern, that deal with social and power struggles, inequality and identity?

I' ll miss Oscar. I had postponed watching the final three episodes, just because I wanted to keep the scene of Oscar and Andre finally expressing their love. I almost didn't want to go on from there. I knew we wouldn't get a "happy ending". Series stays true to its themes and its setting. It may seem "overdramatic" to some, but it's not: fact is, I consider it among the harshest and most realistic anime series I have seen. History is bloody. And unfair. And history progresses through power struggles. And rights are sometimes gained through great costs.

Still, Oscar and Andre shined through to the end... and along with them, the more idealistic part of the Revolution, in which the series creator, Riyoko Ikeda, surely believed in. Both died revolting, sword in their hands, their people believing in them and loving them. They didn't witness the Revolution's later power struggles, nor its decline. So, in memory, they will always be like roses in bloom.

Let's not forget that Oscar dies on the battlefield, leading the people during the most iconic episode of the French Revolution: the storming of Bastille. Probably the best way to die in this series. 

Though, I have to admit... it was painful. I wrote and re-wrote this post many times, trying to cope with my feelings. Man, I really felt sad. If there were two people you were rooting for throughout this series, they were Oscar and Andre. I almost want to contradict myself: yes, Oscar died in a heroic fashion, yes, this is no fairy tale and it was foreshadowed... but... I really wanted some more happiness for these two. These last episodes... can't get over it. Damn, they deserved better, it's true.

This last episode also seemed too cold. Like the blade of the guillotine. And this talk about Fersen, of all people, in the end... well, it was a strange way to end this. I wonder how different the manga is (one more reason to read it now).

Sad feelings and abrupt ending aside, I appreciated everything about this series. Yes, the sparkling eyes, too. So characteristic of their era and its shoujo style! I see it as part of anime history and a certain aesthetic. I also enjoyed the first part, that some didn't. The power struggles of the aristocracy felt so realistic and accurate, that you almost forgot you were watching a work of fiction. The fact that the series made me even care for Marie Antoinette says something: it depicts its main characters as humans, not stereotypes (although there were a couple of "evil stereotypes", most notably Saint-Just – needless to say, I'd prefer a less stereotyped version of him).

As for historical accuracy: it was mostly accurate, despite not delving too deep in it. For example, we never saw crucial figures of the Revolution, like Danton or Marat, and instead the series chose to focus mostly on Robespierre… but that's ok. It didn't matter, in the end: its intention was to get up until 1789, not to depict the Revolution's development… so these other historical figures would seem unnecessary from a narrative point of view. In the end, the series' themes shone through the story of Oscar and Andre – and that's the point of historical fiction.

And now... I want more. To ease some of this "post-series depression". I' ll probably read the manga. I know there's also a sequel manga and some spin-off tales. And... something's new about to happen, as well. Definitely looking forward - in fact, I'm amazed that this anime never got a reboot until now. But since I just got to watch this, I have to admit: I love the timing!

Oscar, you were the best. Looking forward to seeing you, once again.
Lethal_RabbitMay 31, 2023 10:39 AM
Jun 4, 2023 9:10 PM

Jan 2021
The ending was not as satisfying as I expected, especially because there were some moments that I hoped could be shown but were only narrated (such as when the Royal Family was beheaded, Robespierre and Saint-Just who were apparently beheaded too, Fersen who was said to be brutally murdered by his people... etc.). Moreover, how could there still be a scene of Fersen and Marie embracing each other lovingly? It just pissed me off. The King made the right choice when he told Fersen to leave that night.

I know it was a small thing, but it would have been more dramatic and thrilling if Andre and Oscar's death were in the last episode. Well that's a cliche... but...

I was also hoping to see the reaction of Oscar's father, Nanny and Marie when they found out that Oscar and Andre died... T---T

This episode only emphasize that life will not always go the way we want/expect. If Versailles had been released in the present, this last episode could have been made for 1 hour..

But I'm glad to see Rosalie, Bernard and Alain are still alive. The memories of Versailles will always be there.

Jul 12, 2023 8:33 AM

Nov 2016
the show was incredible all the way through and of course the only way i know to express how much i love it is to point out all the things i didn't like

1. rosalie, though an interesting character at first, ended up bein kind of... useless, i guess? i felt like there just wasn't much purpose to her. the polignac issue got solved without much interference on her part, and rosalie ended up not doing anything and realizing that she actually can't do anything since polignac is actually her mother and murder is pretty bad actually. which is a cool setup!! rosalie can now be kinda confused as to what her life purpose is now and try to find something to do. thinking about it now, it would've been pretty juicy if she ended up falling for a noble (a non-Oscar noble, that is) and have a tragic love story that would've showcased to oscar how unfair the class divide really is. but nah, she hangs around for a little while more, then gets blackmailed by polignac, leaves, then leaves polignac with no repercussions (?? why'd you leave oscar to begin with then) and goes back to her normal life. her sword skills ended up irrelevant and i'm pretty sure she's still pretty bad at it, and her tensions with polignac AND jeanne never got a proper resolution. her only important role was helping bernard get back on his feet but if rosalie was never in this show to begin with and they just came up with a random peasant woman who'd do the same job nothing would've changed. i really wanted to like rosalie but she's just so pointless :/

2. and a minor thing about rosalie: i'm sure there was a better way to showcase her struggling than showing her being almost run over by a carriage like four times. it got very silly very quickly

3. i wish romantic tension between andre and oscar received some development in the first 30 episodes. it's pretty obvious that they're the final couple but they had almost zero sparks fly between them for the majority of the show. i understand that oscar saw him as a friend at first and then fell for fersen but like, even a couple of wistful gazes/a little bit of pining from andre to oscar would've been enough of a set up. andre has this whole moment of snapping bc he can't hold his feelings anymore but like... there hasn't been any set up? for that? there have been a couple of moments but they could've read as friendly as well, i wish there were more expilicitly romantic feelings on display

4. speaking of, that whole "andre snapping" scene... bad. i understand it's 1980 so i won't hold it against the show but god was that uncomfortable to watch.

and now, things people aren't a fan of but i did like a lot :

1.  i thought andre going blind and oscar getting sick were pretty great plotlines. we spent the whole show never really worrying about oscar's survival chances and she's been pretty good at keeping andre alive as well. i don't think the final episodes would've been as tense if oscar and andre hadn't been "nerfed" a little. though i do wish that both of their ailments were introduced a little bit better. the black knight could've cut him horizontally, nicking one eye slightly and cutting the other one deeper, so it would've made more sense when his other eye started losing vision. it is true that once vision in one eye is lost the other eye is now under more strain, but it's not enough strain to lose all vision in it in a couple of months. i also would've liked if oscar's condition began developing a bit earlier as well, but i'm not sure how fast tuberculosis kills so maybe lengthening her bloody cough stage would've been unrealistic 

2. i liked how short the ending was. with oscar and andre dead, there is only one person it makes sense for us to follow - alain - and he pretty obviously isn't interested in politics. the cold and dry delivery of the conclusions to characters' stories makes it seem like without oscar, the burning passions within the series died as well. there is no more main characters to drive the story forward and be there for all important events so they happen away from is and are spoken of in a detached manner. seeing some more of antoinette would've been nice, sure, but she's never been the pov character, so i think it would've been pretty jarring.

overall a GREAT show, blends action and shoujo tropes seamlessly. i was very surprised by how far it was willing to go too - a total of four children died, three of them a terrible death, and each time my reaction was like "oh shit that's pretty brutal". there were discussions of prostitution, multiple suicides, jeanne accused antoinette and oscar of being secret lesbians (which i enjoyed a lot lol), the general queerness of all court ladies constantly going on and on about how hot and sexy oscar is in her uniform and "oh how i wish she was a woman" hahaha. i didn't expect any of it when starting this and was left very surprised and impressed. will definitely recommend this to everyone i know!

9/10
Nov 12, 2023 3:13 PM

May 2010
Series ends when the revolution begins...

Great anime, a little chaotic at times, switching between different characters and storylines often confused me, but I get it - different times and different narrative.

Other than that - tragedy at its finest, fine cast of complex characters. Oscar especially, top of the top, I love her. Born in nobility, died fighting for her people. Most of the time she was just a silent witness to what was happening in Paris or at Versailles, protecting the queen, but in the end she followed her heart and beliefs.

I also found her and Andre's deaths to be quite realistic - they didn't have big moments to shine or to sacrifice themselves - just a stray bullet or being on the battlefield, that's enough to get killed. I wish their romance would last a a LITTLE longer, not end the very same day it started, but it is what it is.

Shoujo classic, one of the best ones out there, what else is there to say. 9/10
Dec 8, 2023 11:20 PM

Apr 2017
This was a classic anime. I was actually crying during this episode. This was honestly the happy ending that Oscar and Andre deserved:

The tragic thing is that they could've had that ending, if Oscar had retired peacefully in the countryside, as opposed to joining the French Guard.

Dec 11, 2023 5:46 AM

Feb 2020
I didn't expect this kind of ending, it was very... cold. Brutal. But very fitting for such a story. After all, a story about the French Revolution couldn't end happily.

Anyway, that was such a great series ! Each arc was very interesting in its own right, the anime did an incredible job at teaching history while implementing fictional elements, most characters were so interesting and memorable-although I found that a bit strange that the focus shifted so much from Marie-Antoinette in the last arcs when she arguably was even more important than Oscar at the beginning, but it might be a conscious choice in order for us to see how the situation tragically escalated up to the point where those who were ignored until then decided to do whatever it takes for their rights. I love that actually.
And of course, Oscar... What an incredible character. With so many facets, such a fascinating evolution from a noble blindly dedicated to Marie-Antoinette to the one who's led the former guards to attack La Bastille, and yet without ever losing her affection for the queen. So lovable, admirable, both strong and vulnerable... I love her so much, I'm really gonna miss her.
And André, too ! It was so hard to see him go like that, he was a great man to the end. At least, Oscar and him most likely got reunited, and only a few hours after André's passing.
Speaking of which, I was so amazed at Oscar's va in the previous episode ! She's always been great but she really proved herself here, I felt Oscar's cries of pain in my soul. But nearly every voice actor was great in this show.

It feels weird to leave those characters and this story, I loved nearly every single part of it. I noticed a few little flaws here and there but nothing too important. It's really a show that is gonna stay with me forever, I give it a 10/10.
Feb 10, 1:23 PM

Jun 2015
What started as a pretty palace story ended so horribly. The worst thing is that it was not the story ending. It was true events from history.

I hate the French Revolution so much. While the people had every justified reason in the world, the method was very wrong. They were the same as the ignorant royal family who were manipulated by the people around them for personal gain. Massive scale violence is never the answer. All revolutions that start include citizens violence are no good. And the French Revolution being the bloodiest one of them then taken as a business model is just so freaking annoying.

I see this show was made before the common misconception that Marie Antoinette said "let them eat cake." She was not that ignorant of the people's suffering and she wasn't that insensitive to say such a horrible thing.

The French Revolution is an event itched in history among many other events proving that lack of good, strong rulers leads to the fall of nations. The royal couple was so young and so ignorant that by the time they started to gain experience and know how things were run, it was too late.

One more reason to make me hate the French Revolution was that my country was compared to it 13 years ago by a bunch of ignorant, angsty, empty-headed twits who wanted to play rebels, and it dealt massive losses to the country. Now, we are really in a pre-French Revolution situation and everyone is silent because we don't want a civil way. We are in the Robespierre business model now.

An army coup d'etat is much better. It's military business and the citizens are out of it. There are adverse effects for the citizens of course, but not as badly as when they are the instigators.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Mar 28, 9:27 AM

Mar 2020
Very tragic show and reminds me of those older "classics" of history fiction that I'm told are more about the march of history and all those drawn into them than a simple narrative about a few characters. The only one of those I've read is Les Mis and maybe it was just the French setting and revolutionary climax but it reminded me a lot of that.
I liked that about it - that despite the large cast of characters and how interesting even a comparatively minor character like Alain is - it felt more like politics and economics were shaping their lives more than them being some supermen who could control the force of history. That lack of control - even from characters like the Royal Family - I felt was the grand tragedy of the show.

8/10 because the earlier episodes had a bit too much filler, but once Oscar joins the French Guards I feel it grows into a 9 or even a 10.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Yesterday, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 16 Discussion

MagEarwhig - May 26, 2009

33 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 4:32 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.