Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 13, 2013 8:20 PM

Feb 2012
The transition from episode 9 to 10 was brilliant. Wondering how they would handle that.
Aug 27, 2013 4:15 AM

Jan 2013
One could only wonder why a 13 years old girl could be so cold and resilient.

Theory
1. It only happens in fiction
2. Suffer the same fate like Homura
Aug 27, 2013 5:02 PM

Aug 2013
Loved it. Far better than the 1st movie. And just a straight up improvement over those last episodes.

Best enjoyed alone with no one around, so you can cry in peace. Can't wait for the third movie.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 15, 2013 8:25 PM

Nov 2012
Fantastic.
Can't wait to see what they made for movie 3.
From the trailer we can see Sayaka is back alive...?
Perhaps Madokami ressurected her..
Oct 29, 2013 12:45 PM

Dec 2012
Just as splendid, attention grabbing, and uplifting as the series, although that is because it was pretty much a spitting image of it. Thoroughly enjoyed it, a great way to refresh my memory for when movie 3 gets subbed. This movie covered the part of the anime that made the series a masterpiece for me, so I see no reason to score it any differently. To compliment each other, 10/10 from me.
Nov 3, 2013 9:43 PM

Aug 2010
Both these movies have been a great watch. It was a nice refresher and it felt as if I was watching the series for the first time. And damn that preview for the 3rd movie got me so hyped. I'm so glad to see that Kyouko and the others will be back in the next movie.
Nov 24, 2013 2:56 AM

Apr 2013
Excellent pair of movies, really exceeded my expectations.

Gotta thank my anime club for introducing me to the Madoka universe!
Powerful eyebrows.
Dec 20, 2013 4:30 AM

Jul 2012
The first movie wasn't as good mainly because I didn't like the changes to the OST.

The second movie however, is amazing! This is a recap done right! :D

Made me remember how much I love the series <3
Jan 2, 2014 10:07 PM

Jun 2011
+ Few new shots and scenes.
+ Improved visuals. (more than anime series)
+ Better Backgrounds.
+ Well paced in movie format.
- Recap. (i hate recaps)
- few cuts.
i still prefer the animes series.. but another great recap 8/10 for me..
i'm gonna watch the 3rd one i hope they don't milk it and ruin it.
Feb 13, 2014 12:32 AM

Jul 2013
And a new god was born that day.

I liked the little fixes that they added during the Octavia fight. Made things a lot more clear on how Madoka was the one that got picked up when Octavia was trying to go after Kyoko.

That universe scene was WAAAAAAAAAAAY too shiny though.

Some places had little extra details when it really wasn't needed. Overall both movies were great. Second better than the first one though.
Mar 29, 2014 7:19 AM

May 2012
Does this have news scenes that didn't exist in the TV ?!

If it does then can someone tell me the exact minute for the additional scenes because I just dislike to watch the same thing again.
Mar 30, 2014 12:33 AM

Jan 2014
The original OP being smacked in the middle of the movie is the only flaw I can identify here, and it's a baffling choice. Sure, for fans of the series it's fine, they'll know what it is, what it means, why it's there. But that takes away from the movie's ability to stand on its own. Plus, the OP did not need to be there. It shouldn't have been. It interrupted the story and added nothing to it. This would have been as close to perfect as possible if only they didn't shove the OP in there.

Oh well. We still have the original series, thank god. This was still a step up from the first movie, and may have been a step up from the last 4 episodes of the original series if only they didn't shove in the OP.
Apr 20, 2014 7:56 PM
Nov 2008
I would just like to point out that I literally forgot that Madoka's wish was something other than to end suffering. Well played, meduka meguca...
Apr 21, 2014 2:00 PM

Jun 2009
Great Pacing, great movie.

Only personal minor gripes was the random OP music video in the middle, and every time the camera would rotate around Homura posing and flicking her long hair while time took a stand still.
May 1, 2014 7:52 PM

Feb 2009
The first movie couldn't really grasp the downward spiral of the characters, probably because there was too little time both for a single movie containing 8 episodes and also to let the reality the characters have been encountered with, sink into the viewers mind. Or something.
But this is what everyone is referring to "pacing". The second movie didn't had that little flaw and the series is as good as the source, maybe even kind of a director's cut.

I am really looking forward to the continuation of the story. But I am also afraid of the gap between my own expectations and the reality.
May 3, 2014 6:43 PM

May 2012
While the pacing was back to it was in the original TV series which I rather disliked, it still managed to be interesting and tell the story properly and I do still enjoyed the ending quite a lot!

With this actually being the end of the series I really wonder what the last movie has to offer but watching these movies sure made a better impact towards the series than it did originally with the TV series!

So without further ado let's see what the last movie has to offer us!
May 5, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2011
this movie 2 is great, i guess due the story is really well writen
May 17, 2014 10:44 PM

May 2009
Way better than the fist movie. Plus that little teaser at the end was interesting :)
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jun 10, 2014 1:04 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Better than the first movie. Putting the OP of the series in the middle of the film was a weird choice IMO though.

Finally I get to watch the new film which is the point of it all. Hope it's as good as advertised.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 16, 2014 7:18 PM

Jan 2010
;_;
godokaaaa
Jul 4, 2014 7:46 PM

Feb 2013
I was wondering how they would transition to episode 10's content... new animation, which was nice.

They didn't swap out Octavia's music (a good thing). Kyouko's new transformation... not as good.

While I still consider the series better, this was still 10/10 for me. Using Madoka's save-the-day music for the credits... just wow, feels.

Like with the series, I can't find the words...

(can someone tell me why no real sub group has done this? the only thing that seems to exist are the garbage "official" subs, so disappointing the lyrics are missing) scratch that... just needed to look in alternative places...

Oh yea... the "dresses of light" in the universe scene... pretty.
BurntJellyJul 4, 2014 8:02 PM
Jul 8, 2014 3:50 PM

Jan 2012
ALL HAIL MADOKA
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Aug 3, 2014 4:36 PM

Jun 2012
I just realized I liked the show because the opening was so kickass. No wonder I was disappointed by these movies, it wasnt being interrupted every 20 minutes with an amazing song.
Sep 29, 2014 7:51 AM

Jul 2007
MAL needs a score over 10/10 to properly rate this show.

On the other hand though.. censoring the final part in space with madoka and homura was kinda lame (they changed this scene from the TV where they appear naked; in the movie it's all some white foggy stuff).
Oct 30, 2014 5:10 PM

Jan 2013
This recap was better, specially because it covered the best and important parts of the series, the visual was good and the pst was great as always, the OP at the middle wasn't necessary, but I liked it, those after credits were good.
Dec 2, 2014 5:44 PM

Sep 2014
Madoka is always as epic as ever. My favorite is still the series but this recap movie was also amazing. I loved the transition to the flashbacks (episode 10). Hell yeah!

I lol'd that they covered up the naked glittery space hugs. There was nothing wrong with that xP
Apr 25, 2015 12:33 AM

Apr 2014
Phenomenal recap movie, actually even better than the series version of the episodes that it covered.

Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.

I'm going to go buy some more related merchandise now...
Jun 4, 2015 8:42 AM

Sep 2014
10/10 no explanation needed. Would watch again.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 17, 2015 4:55 AM
Nov 2014
Homura = L'Oréal advertisement xD.

This movie is pretty much a cash grab for the Madoka's original maker, not that I blame em for milking this series for more money. The animation was superb!
Mar 9, 2016 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
Again like the first this is a recap but still felt new because we already knew Homaru's intentions.

9/10 like the series because I really enjoyed the 2nd half of the series.

Now onto the third film that isnt a recap ... excited :)
Aug 4, 2017 10:58 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
A sensational movie to end the recap series, to say the least. While the first movie couldn't possibly manage to include each and every bit from the tv series's first 8 episodes, but this certainly did manage to include not just all but other crucial additional material compiled as well. Phenomenal work!
Direct 9/10 without any doubts whatsoever.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 11, 2019 10:03 AM

May 2016
Even if I do have a fairly decent memory of the series when I first watched it a few years ago with me being able to at least remember what happened in the original series, it really felt like I was watching it for the very first time and it was magical. It's a recap and not a recap at the same time for me because the familiar scenes were delivered very differently from what I recalled in a way that meshed perfectly with the numerous added scenes. Every raw emotion that emanated from the characters was felt to the core, from Madoka's existential dread at finding out the truth about the link of magical girls to humanity to Akemi's gradual coldness towards her best friend as she lives through the same month over and over again only to get hurt even more. Watching Madoka actually acting out her wish as an omnipresent concept way more clearly this time around explained how she solved the whole witch catastrophe using the Madoka Effect really well and seeing the fallen actually get a moment of reprieve in their last moments instead of turning into a monster that will get killed like really deadly livestock was a very satisfying conclusion. It sucks that once she sacrificed everything she had and solved a very big problem, another one took its place eventually but the fight is still on. Kyuubey's memories about being the devil who dishes out the contracts to little girls was apparently erased and it looks like he'll end up as a sidekick in the next film, wow.

Great film~!

Feb 13, 2019 1:50 AM
Nov 2016
I enjoyed this movie more than the first one, this one was better paced, they did screwed up one of the best moment in this though, it was when Homura Akemi decided to become a badass, going on a rampage with machine guns and stuff, they screwed that part up because the music did an annoying loop in the movie, is like they cut the music and the music lost the momentum, this never happened in the anime, can't believe how they fucked that part up, one of the best part in the entire movie got screwed up like that...

Other than the above complain, the movie is pretty good, I believe the reason it was better paced is because it had less episodes to work out with, the 1st movie had like 8 episodes crammed into it while the 2nd movie only had 4 episodes crammed into it and because of this the pacing was better.
Feb 15, 2019 6:38 PM
Apr 2016
Oh well, good recap movie, what else can I say?
Jul 14, 2019 6:32 PM

Aug 2017
They added some things. I love it.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 18, 2019 4:40 AM

Oct 2015
The Madoka fate still gives me goosebumps, to be able to destroy witches before they are born. From the past and the future, a symbol of hope.

8/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 20, 2019 11:10 AM

Sep 2019
This anime is a complete masterpiece.

8/10
Jan 27, 2020 4:58 PM
Apr 2018
Connect right after Homura's flashback was odd but since I loved the song in the of series, for me it was a godsend. The transition to the flashback was pretty clever too.

They did something really amazing now that they only had 4 episodes left. The space scene and the dresses were a bit too much for me though. The Rebellion teaser was hype; I wouldn't have been able to stand the wait until the 3rd movie if I had watched this back in the day.

8/10.
Feb 6, 2020 2:26 PM

Feb 2017

"So if you ever feel like dying for the sake of the universe, please call me anytime."

Apr 2, 2020 12:17 AM

Jul 2016
As with the first recap movie, the pacing was still a bit fast for moments but not as notorious this time. Kyouko's sacrifice and Homura's past had way more impact in the anime series tho. No matter how much the visuals were improved.

7/10 - Honestly, I was quite satisfied with how the series concluded so I now wonder what Rebellion may offer.
Jul 17, 2020 1:37 PM

Nov 2017
Excellent movie! I watched before the anime.

I didn't expect that at the end! Madoka sacrificed herself to save the universe and becomes a God!
Jul 18, 2020 5:08 AM

Dec 2010
Simply beautiful. Even though I knew every twist and turn it didn't detract from the experience, and I daresay it was actually better than the original run, considering the added scenes of Kyouko's place of death and the world after Madoka's wish. This type of production is the dream of every fan.

Speaking of which, seeing all of the Magical Girls fight together in the end is probably the one wish and most important wish fulfilled by this movie. I literally couldn't ask for more.

Sayaka's final moment before she disappeared from the current world is also priceless... Too bad that even after all the trouble Madoka went for her wish, we won't be seeing Sayaka in the next part... She and Kyouko would have made a great dynamic in the team. Now Kyouko is the only one left to lighten up the mood in a party of an emotionally burdened Homura and a snooty Mami. Well, at least Kyouko is up for the count and seemingly will have a fair share of presence in the sequel.
Nov 13, 2020 6:24 PM

Feb 2009
Avichii said:
This anime is a complete masterpiece.

8/10

A complete masterpiece wouldnt "just" be a 8/10 would it?

Anyway, this is my favorite entry of the Madoka Franchise, love the pacing, the story, all the artwork, they outdone themselves with this movie.

Madoka and TTGL movie "retellings" are on another tier of quality, for being not only an improvement of animation quality, but also for providing a balanced pacing as well as with additional content and "redone" scenes.
Jan 26, 2021 5:58 PM

Jan 2020
I think I liked it more than movie 1. I like Homura a lot more and I also appreciate the conclusion more than I did in the tv series even though they are the same. I wasn't expecting it to end the way it did on tv ans rather than sitting back and taking time to appreciate it was more thinking and more neutral after thoughts but for the movie ver I already knew what was coming and I really liked how it wrapped up. The dynamic between homura and madoka is nice. The preview for movie 3 looks amazing and I can't wait to watch it tomorrow

Mar 18, 2022 11:09 PM

May 2020
Part two is more interesting. HOMURA STILL BEST GURL. movie 1 and 2 is a recap from main series. Thought it don't matter if you watch the main series already. I still remember the story after 7 years. This is still interesting and good. In my age watching this, this show is really dark to be honest. Pretty quite dark to see a girls fight against Majo and full of blood and stuff. That clip for movie 3 is quite interesting, thought it still contiunue. Good job team.. and for the BGM is very great, all suit in every scene. ClariS sing the song pretty nice. Good story.
Apr 25, 2022 3:11 AM

Sep 2018
Had the sniffles throughout most of this film, such a great franchise and was a excellent reminder of the TV show I watched all those years ago. Emotionally powerful once again, now I'm really interested as to where they are going take movie three direction wise. But that'll have to wait until tomorrow night. 9/10.
Feb 13, 2023 12:29 AM

Mar 2019
The first movie was really good but I liked this one more. The pacing felt better and the new scenes were good. I really liked the flashback parts and the conclusion was very well done. The only thing that seems strange is that they put the anime opening in the middle of the movie, I wasn't expecting that?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why did Homura wish

Faylicia - Apr 18, 2014

8 by Faylicia »»
Sep 13, 2014 5:54 PM

» Dat poster

Electromistress - Sep 1, 2013

2 by Ddustz »»
Jan 19, 2014 1:12 AM

» Trailer

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2012

4 by YourHusbando »»
Oct 12, 2012 3:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.