Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 26, 2013 10:36 PM

Apr 2012
It didn't bring anything new to the table, but it was pretty fantastic.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 22, 2013 6:16 PM

Aug 2007
This movie begins really good, but ends too fast for me!!!
Jul 20, 2013 11:09 PM

Nov 2007
Looks like "Connect" by ClariS is used ... twice. Once after Homura's past, once at the end credit with the anime's language.

I cannot wait for next movie.
tsubasaloverJul 21, 2013 5:04 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 21, 2013 1:23 AM

Jul 2010
This one was better than the first one. They seemed to have adapted it straight, seeing as they have less episodes to work with, so there wasn't any scenes that I could think of on the top of my head that was cut out. Again, I really like the new animation, like Homura in the graveyard with Kyubey. I will say, though, that the original series opening in the middle of the film caught me off guard. While it was awesome, I would've put it at the end of the film, along with the new version of Connect.

So overall, I really enjoyed these two movies. Again, just on their own I wouldn't recommend them, but as films for the fans I thought they were great. My only complaint is that it doesn't really bring anything new to the series. It would've been great if they added a bit more to the series. Nothing big, mind you, but they've could've maybe expanded Homura's story or something rather, kinda like what the first drama CD did.

But whatever, I liked it, and I'm really looking forward to the third film, and where the series will go from here.
KillerTune12Jul 21, 2013 4:48 AM
Jul 21, 2013 1:42 AM

Jul 2012
I cried nine times throughout watching both of these movies I counted.

First movie: 8/10
This: 10/10
Series: 10/10

God dammit I hate feelings
Jul 22, 2013 1:39 PM

Jan 2011
I think I understand the series more now after the movie.

10/10 movie btw

Mod edit: added spoiler tag
BrandonJan 30, 2018 4:55 AM
[center]
Jul 22, 2013 6:44 PM

Mar 2011
Basically my feelings for both movies

Jul 23, 2013 1:01 AM

Nov 2012
Everything the show is and more. 10/10
Jul 23, 2013 1:39 AM
Oct 2010
This movie was definitely better than the first. I really liked the extended scenes.
Jul 23, 2013 11:23 AM

Mar 2013
Great movie! 9/10 for me

That preview of the 3rd Movie really made me excited to watch it ASAP

What was my signature again?
Jul 23, 2013 3:52 PM

Nov 2011
I'll keep my comment shorter than my previous one but the movie was still very stellar in terms of OST, animation, and characters. Yuki Kajiura sure knows her style of work....

Oh and yes, I remember the fight between Sakaya's new form and Kyouko. Damn, poor Kyouko and Madoka :( I feel sorry for them but the grim reality sucks in the PMMM world. Sakaya's corruption hit me hard again just like the original TV series. As I had thought though, Kyuubey still remains a heartless bastard and tries to make Madoka into a magical girl. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人

Homura looks cute in glasses and braids in that alternate time line like I remembered though. So shy too :>

The killings and struggles with Homura also gave me that nostologia that I experienced in the original TV series. Masterpiece in my book. I'll rate this movie a 9/10 since it's a recap but damn, this was a fun watch again.

Third movie will be original material and I heard it will focus on Homura, my favorite magical girl from the series so I. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人
Jul 23, 2013 6:28 PM

Oct 2008
Shaft is redeemed.

Pacing issues instantly vanished without a time constraint. With time to add more scenes, it make these last 4 episodes even better than the TV anime.

The soundtrack was more in line with what was in the anime, with the new tracks working much better. They didn't randomly re-arrange the tracks or move old tracks into weird places where it didn't fit.
That graveyard scene with Homura, that is an example of how a soundtrack can be used to great effect. A hint of sadness, a hint of loneliness, a hint of hopelessness, exactly what the scene is showing. Removing the vocals during character speech. Not the random classical music, tunes with weak melodic lines in the first movie or music that totally does not fit the scene (upbeat music in sad scenes, brooding music in energetic scenes...) It's the small things that make the package.

This is how the first movie should have been done.
This is a movie worthy of Madoka.
This is a 10/10.

The flames have been rekindled for Rebellion.
OmniknightJul 23, 2013 6:32 PM
Jul 23, 2013 7:08 PM

Mar 2013
I actually disliked the ending of the show when I first watched it (just the last two episodes, the
and I ended up liking this movie a lot more than I ever liked the show. The better art, new music, *the renewed feelings*, and just better pacing really helped make this movie amazing.
Jul 23, 2013 7:18 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty good. Definitely a step above the first movie and series.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 24, 2013 9:40 PM

Aug 2012
Wow, the graveyard scene was insane. But yeah, the insert of the original OP was a bit weird.

Watching both the movies is definitely a ride, and a great experience for fans of the original. I think when recommending Madoka to a friend, I'd tell them to watch the first eight episodes then Movie 2.
Jul 24, 2013 10:45 PM

Jan 2013
Just watched both movies in one sitting. Reminded me just how great this series was. Beautiful OST and animation. Homura is of course my favorite character. I'm really excited for the 3rd movie now!
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jul 25, 2013 3:25 AM

Sep 2012
Loved it. This movie poured oil all of the raging fire I have for the Madoka series. 10/10
Jul 25, 2013 11:56 PM

Mar 2010
Wow, this was even more well done than the last half of the anime series. No pacing issues unlike the first movie.
Jul 26, 2013 12:18 AM
Aug 2010
absolutely fantastic. love every aspect of it. i think i cried on same on moment with the series
Jul 26, 2013 12:25 AM

Sep 2012
A lot of fine details as well as background art is redone in the movie. Comparing it scene by scene with the TV series would be a rewarding experience.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 26, 2013 1:28 AM

May 2013
This is how a recap should be done.
Fantastic movie. I really enjoyed it even though I have known the story
Must wait patiently for the third movie.
Jul 27, 2013 10:08 AM

Sep 2011
Such a shame that the first movie couldn't live up to the original series (due to cutting important scenes like the dream from the very first scene and Mami's wish, plus fucking up the already great OST and changing it, the only better aspect of it was the improved art).
This one however, not only lived up to the series, but improved on it.

The art was again gorgeous just like the 1st movie.
Fortunately they left the OST mostly as it was, and some of them was actually improved, so I didn't have a problem with that. The only scene where the OST shouldn't have been changed was when Homura almost lost hope (and the little Walpurgis scene before it), it was a very emotionally powerful song and now it's the same as the Homura vs Walpurgis fight :/
The voice acting also seemed to be somewhat better in both movies.
They didn't cut any important scenes as far as I remember, but rather they added new scenes like the graveyard scene (which was awesome btw) and the one after that, plus some minor ones here and there. I also really liked the countdown in the beginning and when it was going backward before Homura's past. The little flashing scenes (or whatever they were) between the time skips gave it a pretty mysterious feel.
The fight with witch-Sayaka and Kyouko's sacrifice was improved and was even more powerful than before.
Homura's fight with Walpurgisnacht was also improved, which was one of my favorite scenes from the scenes. Especially the beginning of it (now all the numbers are displayed during the countdown, plus Homura's transformation is great, and the OST wasn't changed fortunately).
The ending wasn't really changed, not even the bonus ending-thing which we still don't really know what it's supposed to mean. I guess it's an interpret-as-you-wish ending.

So all in all the 2nd movie gets the same score from me as the anime, a 9/10 (the first movie was an 8 for the reasons I mentioned both here and there). I still feel like that these two movies were kind of unnecessary as it didn't really change much apart from very few new short scenes and improved art. It was pretty much the same length as well. It was still good nevertheless.
As for the preview, I'm kind of hyped and not at the same time. I hope they don't screw it up. I wonder if it's an alternate world-sequel or if it's going to be canon.
Jul 27, 2013 12:30 PM

May 2009
I think that bit at the ending won't make sense till we see the third movie.

There must be a reason why they put the original OP (with redone scenes) in the movie. The lyrics are from Homura's perspective, so it's probably done to clear up this piece of information, if, by any chance, some people still hadn't caught onto that yet.

With all the retouched scenes, improved OST and voice acting (though, was it really re-recorded, or simply remastered?), I found this movie a slight bit better than the first. The only complaint I have regarding both movies is that Madoka's dream was never shown in the first movie, and that this aspect was glossed over for the rest of the entire 4 hours that both movies combined span. So yeah, it;'s recommended that one should watch the show as well, to get a slightly better picture of it all.

If I hadn't seen the series, I would probably give the combined two movies a 10/10, because I still enjoyed the heck out of them, even with the few flaws they had. However, I've seen the show and as impressive as the new scenes are, it's still a recap, and I find it pointless to truly rate those and thus, I don't.

The question now begs, can the third movie live up to its expectations, or will SHAFT have bitten off more than they can chew?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2013 4:09 PM

Sep 2009
RazielZero said:
Such a shame that the first movie couldn't live up to the original series (due to cutting important scenes like the dream from the very first scene and Mami's wish, plus fucking up the already great OST and changing it, the only better aspect of it was the improved art).
This one however, not only lived up to the series, but improved on it.

The art was again gorgeous just like the 1st movie.
Fortunately they left the OST mostly as it was, and some of them was actually improved, so I didn't have a problem with that. The only scene where the OST shouldn't have been changed was when Homura almost lost hope (and the little Walpurgis scene before it), it was a very emotionally powerful song and now it's the same as the Homura vs Walpurgis fight :/
The voice acting also seemed to be somewhat better in both movies.
They didn't cut any important scenes as far as I remember, but rather they added new scenes like the graveyard scene (which was awesome btw) and the one after that, plus some minor ones here and there. I also really liked the countdown in the beginning and when it was going backward before Homura's past. The little flashing scenes (or whatever they were) between the time skips gave it a pretty mysterious feel.
The fight with witch-Sayaka and Kyouko's sacrifice was improved and was even more powerful than before.
Homura's fight with Walpurgisnacht was also improved, which was one of my favorite scenes from the scenes. Especially the beginning of it (now all the numbers are displayed during the countdown, plus Homura's transformation is great, and the OST wasn't changed fortunately).
The ending wasn't really changed, not even the bonus ending-thing which we still don't really know what it's supposed to mean. I guess it's an interpret-as-you-wish ending.
I completely agree with you...especially about the music change when Homura almost lost hope. That was one of my favorite musical moments...I truly don't understand the reason for the change. All in all I enjoyed both movies...the only big complaints I have are about the OST changes primarily in the first movie.
Jul 28, 2013 5:38 PM

Jan 2012
Wow. I can't describe how i feel, even though i've watched the TV series before, this still got to me in many ways. Its really hard to find gems like these. I cried my eyes out in several scenes, totally giving this a 10/10. Even though its a recap, it still deserves it.
THE TRAILER FOR THE THIRD MOVIE.
SHAFT, PLEASE LET IT BE AMAZING. PLEASE.
Jul 31, 2013 4:02 PM

Nov 2010
The ending was about the same I remembered
I forgot how grant the impact surrounding it, involving an entire evolution and characters like Cleopatra, Jean D'arc and was Mulan even mentioned?

ClariS and Kalafina songs really supported these movies well even reused
Really curious about the 3rd part of the Trilogy
Are they going to bring back Madoka!?!
Aug 2, 2013 2:19 AM

Jul 2009
Choose the wrong thing in poll, but that's ok xD
Awesome movie! 1st was ok, I don't like Sayaka so watch her parts is always boring. But this one was full of Homura awesomeness, and Madoka awesomeness too! Looking forward to the next one!
Aug 5, 2013 2:31 AM

Sep 2012
Homura's redone transformation amazing despite it's length.
So long as you yourself enjoy it, what does the thoughts of others matter to you?
Aug 6, 2013 4:13 AM

Jan 2013
Connect movie version, where are you. Ugh...
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Aug 10, 2013 8:51 AM

Apr 2009
"If someone tells me it's wrong to have hope, then I'll tell them they're wrong, every single time."

"You aren't just granting us hope. You're becoming hope, itself... the hope of us all."

"If you think you can do it, then you've just gotta do it!"

"Now I really don't have any regrets."

"I remember that. And I will never forget it. That is why... I will keep fighting."

Amazing. It's just as great as I found the corresponding TV episodes to be. Well worth the watch, and I will definitely watch it again in the future. I liked all the little changes to many scenes, it made me feel like I was watching something familiar yet different.

The extended scenes were also appreciated, like the graveyard scene where Homura was talking to Kyuubey, and the penultimate scene where the two of them were talking again, in the new universe.

Of course, I also liked how the voice audio wasn't something recycled but re-recorded for the movie - the lines voiced by the seiyuu sounded subtly different from my memory of the TV scenes. I didn't even expect to hear Connect in the movie, but I did and it hit the spot - though I loved hearing Luminous again as well. I admit I was a bit puzzled when Decretum started playing during Homura and Madoka's scene before she decides to make the fateful wish: Decretum was Sayaka's theme music.

The preview for the third movie is promising to be something to truly look forward to... to finally bring everything to a close, full circle. I have hope for it, and I believe in the people who created this story to be able to deliver.

--Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.

--As long as you remember her, you are not alone.
Aug 13, 2013 8:20 PM

Feb 2012
The transition from episode 9 to 10 was brilliant. Wondering how they would handle that.
Aug 27, 2013 4:15 AM

Jan 2013
One could only wonder why a 13 years old girl could be so cold and resilient.

Theory
1. It only happens in fiction
2. Suffer the same fate like Homura
Aug 27, 2013 5:02 PM

Aug 2013
Loved it. Far better than the 1st movie. And just a straight up improvement over those last episodes.

Best enjoyed alone with no one around, so you can cry in peace. Can't wait for the third movie.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 15, 2013 8:25 PM

Nov 2012
Fantastic.
Can't wait to see what they made for movie 3.
From the trailer we can see Sayaka is back alive...?
Perhaps Madokami ressurected her..
Oct 29, 2013 12:45 PM

Dec 2012
Just as splendid, attention grabbing, and uplifting as the series, although that is because it was pretty much a spitting image of it. Thoroughly enjoyed it, a great way to refresh my memory for when movie 3 gets subbed. This movie covered the part of the anime that made the series a masterpiece for me, so I see no reason to score it any differently. To compliment each other, 10/10 from me.
Nov 3, 2013 9:43 PM

Aug 2010
Both these movies have been a great watch. It was a nice refresher and it felt as if I was watching the series for the first time. And damn that preview for the 3rd movie got me so hyped. I'm so glad to see that Kyouko and the others will be back in the next movie.
Nov 24, 2013 2:56 AM

Apr 2013
Excellent pair of movies, really exceeded my expectations.

Gotta thank my anime club for introducing me to the Madoka universe!
Powerful eyebrows.
Dec 20, 2013 4:30 AM

Jul 2012
The first movie wasn't as good mainly because I didn't like the changes to the OST.

The second movie however, is amazing! This is a recap done right! :D

Made me remember how much I love the series <3
Jan 2, 2014 10:07 PM

Jun 2011
+ Few new shots and scenes.
+ Improved visuals. (more than anime series)
+ Better Backgrounds.
+ Well paced in movie format.
- Recap. (i hate recaps)
- few cuts.
i still prefer the animes series.. but another great recap 8/10 for me..
i'm gonna watch the 3rd one i hope they don't milk it and ruin it.
Feb 13, 2014 12:32 AM

Jul 2013
And a new god was born that day.

I liked the little fixes that they added during the Octavia fight. Made things a lot more clear on how Madoka was the one that got picked up when Octavia was trying to go after Kyoko.

That universe scene was WAAAAAAAAAAAY too shiny though.

Some places had little extra details when it really wasn't needed. Overall both movies were great. Second better than the first one though.
Mar 29, 2014 7:19 AM

May 2012
Does this have news scenes that didn't exist in the TV ?!

If it does then can someone tell me the exact minute for the additional scenes because I just dislike to watch the same thing again.
Mar 30, 2014 12:33 AM

Jan 2014
The original OP being smacked in the middle of the movie is the only flaw I can identify here, and it's a baffling choice. Sure, for fans of the series it's fine, they'll know what it is, what it means, why it's there. But that takes away from the movie's ability to stand on its own. Plus, the OP did not need to be there. It shouldn't have been. It interrupted the story and added nothing to it. This would have been as close to perfect as possible if only they didn't shove the OP in there.

Oh well. We still have the original series, thank god. This was still a step up from the first movie, and may have been a step up from the last 4 episodes of the original series if only they didn't shove in the OP.
Apr 20, 2014 7:56 PM
Nov 2008
I would just like to point out that I literally forgot that Madoka's wish was something other than to end suffering. Well played, meduka meguca...
Apr 21, 2014 2:00 PM

Jun 2009
Great Pacing, great movie.

Only personal minor gripes was the random OP music video in the middle, and every time the camera would rotate around Homura posing and flicking her long hair while time took a stand still.
May 1, 2014 7:52 PM

Feb 2009
The first movie couldn't really grasp the downward spiral of the characters, probably because there was too little time both for a single movie containing 8 episodes and also to let the reality the characters have been encountered with, sink into the viewers mind. Or something.
But this is what everyone is referring to "pacing". The second movie didn't had that little flaw and the series is as good as the source, maybe even kind of a director's cut.

I am really looking forward to the continuation of the story. But I am also afraid of the gap between my own expectations and the reality.
May 3, 2014 6:43 PM

May 2012
While the pacing was back to it was in the original TV series which I rather disliked, it still managed to be interesting and tell the story properly and I do still enjoyed the ending quite a lot!

With this actually being the end of the series I really wonder what the last movie has to offer but watching these movies sure made a better impact towards the series than it did originally with the TV series!

So without further ado let's see what the last movie has to offer us!
May 5, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2011
this movie 2 is great, i guess due the story is really well writen
May 17, 2014 10:44 PM

May 2009
Way better than the fist movie. Plus that little teaser at the end was interesting :)
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jun 10, 2014 1:04 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Better than the first movie. Putting the OP of the series in the middle of the film was a weird choice IMO though.

Finally I get to watch the new film which is the point of it all. Hope it's as good as advertised.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 16, 2014 7:18 PM

Jan 2010
;_;
godokaaaa
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why did Homura wish

Faylicia - Apr 18, 2014

8 by Faylicia »»
Sep 13, 2014 5:54 PM

» Dat poster

Electromistress - Sep 1, 2013

2 by Ddustz »»
Jan 19, 2014 1:12 AM

» Trailer

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2012

4 by YourHusbando »»
Oct 12, 2012 3:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.