Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Dec 12, 2008 9:50 PM

Sep 2007
Spotlight Character: Misato Katsuragi (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

MAL Character Information Page: Misato Katsuragi

MAL Favorites: 232

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with Misato discuss what they think makes her an exceptional character. What attributes make her stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character molds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE "YOU DECIDE" POLL

Misato Katsuragi did NOT get inducted into the club Character list:
32 Yes - 45.71%
38 No - 54.29%

25 Not Familiar With Character - 26.32% of the total number polled
LindleMay 5, 2013 10:03 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 12, 2008 11:18 PM

Oct 2007
I gotta say I don't know how I'd rate Misato...she's a good strong female character who has alot of baggage. If they hadn't messed her character up with the Shinji kiss scene then I think she would be higher than an 8.

She's extremely important to the progress of Evangelion and I think she was a pretty good character.
Dec 14, 2008 4:30 PM

Oct 2007
Meh... That's the only thing that comes to mind when I think about her. She's not an annoying character or an incredibly well developed characters. She's just... meh (-_-)...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2008 5:02 PM

Feb 2008
Wow I can't even remember her.
Dec 15, 2008 12:36 AM

Sep 2007
A great character who will probably be overlooked because people can't separate a character from her series.

(note: I've only seen the Eva series - not the movies)

Misato is the only character in Eva that I can imagine existing in real life. She's a slob, an alcoholic, a chain smoker, and her relationships are a mess, yet she's a professional in the truest sense. On the job, she seems capable of adopting an entirely different ethos, but she never seems like a different character. I was really impressed with the way the writers handled this - a character with two starkly different sides but both sides blended so well that it is unquestionably a single character.

Her relationships with men could easily fill up an entire essay, but the main point is that she has a hard time forming deep bonds with other people, and she's good at hiding her emotions. For most of the series, I thought I had her character down - until her confrontation with Kaji, which opens up a whole new chasm of depth to her personality. And then there's her relationship with her father... which I won't go into, because I'm not in the mood for discussing Freud.

And to top it off, I think she's the only person who was successful in getting Shinji to do anything at all. (she's the one who originally told Shinji "You mustn't run away," which he starts chanting throughout the rest of the series)

So yeah, she's awesome. It's great to see a character with sex as a major motivator who isn't intended for fanservice. I can't even think of another anime character that accomplishes this - certainly not a female character.

9/10
Dec 15, 2008 3:45 AM

Jul 2007
Sexy mama with sexy scars. Yes.
Dec 15, 2008 4:07 AM

Nov 2007
Master_M2K said:
Meh... That's the only thing that comes to mind when I think about her. She's not an annoying character or an incredibly well developed characters. She's just... meh (-_-)...

What he said...
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Dec 15, 2008 4:34 PM

Jul 2007
:( She ain't meh. Some points to considerrrrrrrrr...

- She is a surrogate mother to two rebellious, self-destructive kids. You and I would have slipped into depression/disowned these little fuckers.

- She has to plan fights using abstract weaponry against even more abstract enemies with freakish kids as her soldiers. Nightmare job with nightmare colleagues. She pulls through to the end (sorta')

- Her naked sexy body has a nice collection of scars. Always nice.

- She is skanky at home with Shinji and even more skanky with Kaji. Very nice.

- She motivates herself with beer, intercourse and memories of papa. Very nice.

Conclusion: Sexy scarred mama. Please give love.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.