Forum Settings
Forums

8,000 Blu-rays of Suisei no Gargantia Episodes 1 & 2 To Be Distributed Free at ACE2013

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 4, 2013 7:13 AM

Sep 2012
Are you kidding? Those free discs will read your hue, man! LOL
Apr 9, 2013 4:37 PM
Jun 2012
I suppose that the people who are concerned about the cost of the BDs also think that music albuns cost what they do because of the price of pressing CDs, right?
Apr 10, 2013 8:41 AM

Aug 2008
bippo said:
They're selling the Box-sets of the show in ACE today. Basically what they're planning to do is 1 volume consisting of 4 episodes. 3 volumes in total plus an OVA. I'll assume the Box contains the three volumes plus some extras. People who got these two blurays got ripped off.

Lantis...this company..wtf
You can't consider this rip off if they got discs for free...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 15, 2013 10:00 AM

Sep 2012
oh wow, so that makes me wonder how long we have to wait for episode 3?
:(
Apr 18, 2013 7:59 AM

Jun 2012
jmal said:
TheIMF said:
I don't want to to be that guy, but has anyone considered that there might be something sinister about this and that perhaps these blu-rays might be tracked or something? This could all be an experiment to collect data on pirating and whatnot. It sounds really out there and farfetched, but don't any of you find it suspicious they're giving away 8000 free copies, on blu-ray no less? It's suspicious.

So the options are "marketing, duh" or "conspiracy theories!", in which case I'll go with "marketing". The volume they give away only has 2 episodes compared to 5 on the commercial release, so it's not a replacement for it, meaning they have nothing to lose.

I doubt they even made note of who got each free copy. There were just handed out to attendees, not sent to a specific pre-selected list of known individuals.

I don't appreciate your shortsighted snark.

Blu-rays are rather pricy to produce. Distributing 8000 free copies containing the first two episodes of a one cour anime is, to my knowledge, entirely unprecedented. From an business stand point, that has to take a chunk out of their profits. So what would they get in return?

I pity you if you think altruism runs high in the business world. It has happened before in the past where corporations have made attempts at tracking piracy of their own products. The anime industry is huge but also heavily pirated. It would make sense they'd do this.
Apr 18, 2013 8:04 AM

Sep 2012
^ Jmal mentioned "marketing" not "altruism", no? I don't think he ever denies that blu-rays cost money to make, but that does not mean your conspiracy theory of there is something "sinister" rings any truer.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
7 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Today

4 by Memore »»
9 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
11 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Today

1 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.