Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 15, 2013 3:10 PM

Jul 2009
I didn't really enjoy this arc in the manga but it actually seems better animated.
Jul 11, 2013 5:54 PM

Jun 2011
Gintoki begged for the safety of his friends... he is indeed the greatest shounen protagonist of all time.

Sep 10, 2013 4:08 PM

May 2012
Quite interesting development here, lets see what happens next! Only 2 episodes left :s
Apr 7, 2014 12:03 AM

Jun 2012
Melodrama from start to finish, lame action sequences with very little fighting but tons of still-images and pointless monologues, numerous instances of out-of-character behaviours (e.g. Hijikata, Shinpachi), not to mention the cheesy "big brother" theme that the entire episode played upon. Everyone is acting so differently from normal that it doesn't even feel like I'm watching the same anime anymore.

This is bad. Terrible, even. I never watched Gintama for this crap, I watched it for the comedy. Gintama's serious scenes were never anything special and the fight scenes have (with a few specific exceptions) always been bad, but even then Gintama tried to keep the laughs rolling and even in the 'serious' scenes it never felt like it took itself too seriously. So what happened here? Why is this arc and the previous arc so bad? If there is another season, I can only hope that it avoids this trash and acts more like season two.

To be honest, I can't understand why everyone thinks Gintoki has been "badass" in these last few episodes. Is it because they showed close-ups of his grinning face? Is it because he has absolutely no fear of death? If it wasn't for Shinpachi deciding all on his own to go help Gintoki, he'd be DEAD. Picking a fight with this obi-one guy and acting smug and confident even when Gintoki is getting his ass handed to him is just plain idiotic. However, even before the fight ever started I already knew Gintoki would win by default because that's how these fights generally go, and that was confirmed when Shinpachi showed up at *just* the right time to save his sorry ass. In my opinion, characters who can't die no matter what kind of retarded mistakes they make and no matter how extremely overconfident they act and no matter what kind of hell they go through are the polar opposite of "badass".

I'm very disappointed with this season, I can't wait until it's over.
LarasoApr 7, 2014 8:12 AM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Jun 16, 2014 6:46 AM

Sep 2012
Really lame arc.
Dec 23, 2014 12:24 PM

Jun 2014
The yodas with red light sabers are more fitting to watch than the original yoda with his green light saber.

Dec 31, 2014 6:20 PM

Apr 2014
Gin-chan begging on the ground ;__;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I didn't know I could love him more.
Feb 14, 2015 6:30 AM

Oct 2014
Seems that the last Arc is also very good. Gintama went with every single episode better and better. Gintama 2015 must be epic :D and Gintoki... Respect. There is no way you can't love him !
Apr 2, 2015 12:38 PM

Aug 2013
Broken brothers :/
He's really just a corpse... Well, not really, I guess his brain is still intact, but as soon as that robot part of him will stop working, he'll become back a corpse.

Gintoki was really intense this episode, playing the role of the jerk toward Shinpachi, Tae and everyone. I feel so bad for him, it's not his kind to be like that to his friend.

It's pretty rare to see Tae as serious as in this episode. It break my heart :'(
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 29, 2015 11:55 PM

May 2014
Good Arc, Great Fight, and I never expected Gintoki to get on his knees and beg.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Oct 11, 2015 1:46 AM
Nov 2014
Damn, you know shit is real when GIN himself begged the Shinsengumi to assist him in capturing Hajime, class act by Sougo to remove the picture of Gin though. That was very nice of him to do that.

Last scene was so badass yo, Shinpachi is a really good side character. He brings so many emotions in the action or drama scenes.
Nov 16, 2015 3:21 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Gintoki's such a badass for sacrificing his dignity for Obi-one. Shinpachi might get a chance to be badass?

5/5
Feb 27, 2016 2:13 AM

Jul 2013
I knew Gin-san wouldn't attack Obi-one Kenofi without a good reason.

Anyway I kinda find it hard to relate to the whole brother drama because I feel it's rushed. I mean we barely know Obi-one. There was a short flashback about him and Shinpachi and Otae laughing like idiots and that's that. Unlike in the previous arc where there was a lot of buildup before the climax that's why it was great. I don't know I just feel like this is rushed.
Jun 24, 2016 5:56 AM

Feb 2016
Nice to see how gintoki manages to teach a lesson. At least there was some character development for sadaharu too.
Aug 19, 2016 4:17 AM

Dec 2012
Gintoki *o*.
Shinpachi and Otae reactions were really unusual, but they were so perfect. This scene brought tears to my eyes, I hope the last episode of this arc will be as good.
Oct 23, 2016 9:40 PM

Jan 2015
Just finished rewatching this arc and for what starts off as a comedic one, damn, it's emotional.
Oct 29, 2016 1:10 AM

Sep 2013
All this talk about brothers is really touching :') Emotional arcs back to back got me dehydrated though goshhh

I was waiting for Toshi to arrive at Gintoki's side lol silly me
Nov 9, 2016 7:40 PM

Mar 2014
dat Star Wars Parody song
Jun 16, 2017 1:33 PM
Feb 2017
obi one's quotes are spectacular.
Aug 14, 2017 7:20 PM

Jul 2013
That was so sad to see. Otae with tears in her eyes begging on the ground before Gintoki and ask him to don't attack Hajime. He's like a big brother for Shinpachi which came back after a long time.

I had the absolute same reaction as Shinpachi, Otae and Kagura when Gin attacked Hajime out of nowhere. Gin seems pretty coldhearted in this scene but I had never expected what he did before :o

Gin is so awesome, he begged before Kondou and others for help and is trying to bring back the human Hajime. He always wants to protect everyone ;_;

The fight between Gin and Hajime was awesome. Damn his lightsabers are crazy. It didn't look to good for Gin at the end, I mean he fight but wants to rescue Hajime. So I guess he's restraining his power a little bit. Fortunately Shinpachi came to help him in the last second.

The next episode will be exciting.

Jan 20, 2018 1:57 AM

May 2015
This episode really shows why Gintoki is so cool— bowing his head to the people he dislikes to protect the people he loves.
AshtatoJan 20, 2018 2:25 AM
Feb 1, 2018 1:25 PM

Nov 2016
Never underestimate Gin.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 29, 2018 8:08 PM
Sep 2017
This ep made me cry - from the moment when Sougo is explaining to Otae, Shinpachi & Kagura everything Gin did. It made me sad that they (especially Shinpachi) didn’t have faith in him, & Gin was willing to lose his relationship with them in order to protect them & try to save someone else they cared about.
I was glad to see that Sougo showed respect by deleting the picture, & his comment about little brothers having their own pride was sweet. It’s obvious that Hijikata is like a big brother to him, as well.
For a “comedy” anime, the relationships in this show somehow manage to pull my heartstrings more than any other.
Gintoki is simply the best, & so is Gintama.
Mar 31, 2019 3:12 AM

May 2015
Gin-chan playing bad guy figurine is classic.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 10, 2019 1:49 AM

May 2016
I'm speechless Gin chan did that for them T^T

All time fav episode of Gintama so far.
May 29, 2019 10:37 PM

Sep 2017
Another great episode. I'm sure to some them throwing around the whole brother thing would get annoying, but I thought its message of brotherly love was pretty powerful. You had me worried for a moment there, Gintoki. I was hoping your character didn't do a sudden 360, but no, you were being just as awesome as you usually are. The moment where Gintoki appeared to confront Hajime and Inside The Palace!!!! was definitely an "Okay, now this is epic" moment for me. Humor was good, the action was great, love the arc too.
Jul 15, 2019 12:39 PM
Apr 2018
Didn't like this episode and I hate this arc. Firstly, it's pretty boring, not many funny moments. But that's not the real issue, what really pisses me off is the complete evisceration of the characters. Why would Gin even have to beg? Both Kondo and Kyubei would've helped Gintoki in a heartbeat, they would never have made him beg. The way Gin went about everything was so out of character. And then there's shinpachi, what they did was nothing short of character assassination. Didn't we just have an arc showing us that the bond between the Yorozuya transcends even memory? Yet I'm supposed to believe that Shinpachi, and Kagura to a lesser extent, would honestly think Gin could be so cruel and heartless? Seriously, this arc basically ruins everything in the Kintama arc.
Nov 19, 2019 2:47 PM
Apr 2016
Ouch, the drama was painful to watch, it just hurt too much. I had a feeling Gin would do that though, it's just something he'd do.
Nov 21, 2019 1:54 AM

Mar 2015
Great episode as always!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 18, 2020 11:50 PM

Aug 2018
Great episode! I love this arc alot

Oct 5, 2020 9:19 PM

Jul 2020
Hope this arc will conclude next episode. So one episode will be dedicated to ending of the season
Jan 17, 2021 11:24 PM
Jan 2017
NordicHorde said:
Didn't like this episode and I hate this arc. Firstly, it's pretty boring, not many funny moments. But that's not the real issue, what really pisses me off is the complete evisceration of the characters. Why would Gin even have to beg? Both Kondo and Kyubei would've helped Gintoki in a heartbeat, they would never have made him beg. The way Gin went about everything was so out of character. And then there's shinpachi, what they did was nothing short of character assassination. Didn't we just have an arc showing us that the bond between the Yorozuya transcends even memory? Yet I'm supposed to believe that Shinpachi, and Kagura to a lesser extent, would honestly think Gin could be so cruel and heartless? Seriously, this arc basically ruins everything in the Kintama arc.

Dude, thank you. I was opening these threads hoping someone would notice. Every thing about this is truly awful and not characteristic of the series at all. Idk if this is filler or what but this is bad, like, really bad. Went from a 10/10 season to an 8/10 personally, this has to be my least favorite arc in the entire series, including that stupid ghost hunting one way back. Absolutely horrid.
OptimJan 17, 2021 11:39 PM
Feb 2, 2021 11:36 PM

May 2020
I love the emotion put into this episode!
The main fight between Gintoki and Obi was great.
Apr 12, 2021 4:32 PM
Jul 2018
I was wrong about this arc, this ep was incredible.
-Shinpachi development
-puts that awesome sequence in the op into context
-Gintoki still badass
-lack of kagura is a con, like at least give her more than a few lines
Apr 29, 2021 8:26 AM

Mar 2017
YESSSS GO SHINPACHI GOOOO
Jul 6, 2021 5:54 AM
Jul 2020
JizzyHitler said:
frequency said:
I was expecting a more elaborate Gintoki x Otae moment.
I think this arc is kind of confirming they are more like a family than love interests. I think originally sorachi had her as a love interest but progressively moved away from that idea as the series went on.

Agreed. And I really like that as a writing decision.

Romance is fine, but I'd say the friendships and family ties in Gintama ultimately make the show for me
8graystonesJul 6, 2021 6:19 AM
Jul 6, 2021 6:19 AM
Jul 2020
NordicHorde said:
what really pisses me off is the complete evisceration of the characters. Why would Gin even have to beg? Both Kondo and Kyubei would've helped Gintoki in a heartbeat, they would never have made him beg. The way Gin went about everything was so out of character.

Didn't we just have an arc showing us that the bond between the Yorozuya transcends even memory? Yet I'm supposed to believe that Shinpachi, and Kagura to a lesser extent, would honestly think Gin could be so cruel and heartless?

Really valid point. While I don't necessarily hate this arc. something about Gin's whole "play-the-bad-guy" gambit felt kind off of to me, and I think you've struck the problem.

It's true that Gin often solves problems by pretending not to care and then 'sneaking around' (as was pointed out in the Kintama arc), but this time was pretty messy.

On the other hand, the last time someone begged for help was when Hijikata asked the Yorozuya to look after the Shinsengumi; In that sense, I guess things kind of balance out?
Aug 8, 2021 12:28 PM
Apr 2021
The ep was ok but I felt that some of the developments were a bit unbelievable.

I found it unbelievable that Gintoki would have to 'beg' Kondo and Kyubei, as well as Shinsengumi to help him since he has selflessly helped them on more than one occasion. I also didn't like the indicated loss of dignity when he begged - I guess that was just me but I felt that the relationship between Gin and Shinsengumi was already on more friendly terms. I wouldn't mind a sentence of two of the Shinsengumi guys indicating that they would have gladly helped even without Gin's plea.

Not to mention Kagura's, Otae's, and Shinpachi's stupid reactions to Gin's actions. I find it unbelievable they would just believe Gin is such a jerk after everything they have been through.
Nov 21, 2021 2:35 AM

Jun 2020
Ayo this arc has been way better than I thought it would be. Gin was really sweet in this episode too <3
Feb 7, 2022 11:49 AM

Feb 2012
Another arc that was ok and quickly rose to a great one.
Loved how Gin tried to handle things once again alone.
anonymous_fan said:
The ep was ok but I felt that some of the developments were a bit unbelievable.

I found it unbelievable that Gintoki would have to 'beg' Kondo and Kyubei, as well as Shinsengumi to help him since he has selflessly helped them on more than one occasion. I also didn't like the indicated loss of dignity when he begged - I guess that was just me but I felt that the relationship between Gin and Shinsengumi was already on more friendly terms. I wouldn't mind a sentence of two of the Shinsengumi guys indicating that they would have gladly helped even without Gin's plea.

Not to mention Kagura's, Otae's, and Shinpachi's stupid reactions to Gin's actions. I find it unbelievable they would just believe Gin is such a jerk after everything they have been through.

I get what you're saying but earth is in danger, he may have begged but if it wasn't Gin-san they wouldn't have even entraitained that idea.
I do feel the same about Otae and shinpachi reaction but it's also understandeable, they just got back what they believe is their brother figure, they wouldn't be able to think straight.
As for Kagura, she was mostly just shocked because she was the only one out of them that didn't know what was happening to Hajime.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

May 2, 2022 3:51 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Of course Gintoki is not just gonna wait and do nothing, it's great to see Kondo and Kyuubei fighting, but now I wonder if they'll be able to stop Obi-One
Jul 14, 2022 8:20 PM

Jul 2016
Ashhk said:
Of course Gintoki is not just gonna wait and do nothing, it's great to see Kondo and Kyuubei fighting, but now I wonder if they'll be able to stop Obi-One

Kondo and Kyuubei showing up was so hype along with Gins snarling face. Great direction.
Jul 26, 2022 6:40 AM
Jul 2018
Great episode! Character development for Otae & Shinpachi!
The animation was amazing in this episode and the fight was also good. Gintoki again proving why he is one of the best Character!

In fight Gintoki was like a demon and the entry of Kondo & Kyu-chan was great!
Jul 27, 2022 4:21 AM

Jan 2020
Quite surprising side of Otae I've witnessed, guess when things get serious, she's just a frail woman...
Jul 27, 2022 4:22 AM

Jan 2020
Gintama need more conflict between the member of Odd Jobs....
Aug 2, 2022 3:19 AM

Apr 2013
And here I was almost convinced that Gintoki is actually a badass, pity.
Aug 8, 2022 6:04 AM

Jun 2021
Damn, those moments between the Yorozuya plus Tae escalated quickly. About the funny moments, i laughed at Sogo denouncing Hiji as a suspect immediately after his own speech and the rest of Shinsengumi actually attacks their own demonic vice commander, and the second time in a row censorship about the movie title
Oct 9, 2022 12:35 AM

Aug 2018
Another great great episode, all comedy was on point as always
Oct 18, 2022 7:22 PM
Nov 2021
I already he will be a villain because they literally spoiled us in the opening.
May 1, 2023 2:00 PM

Mar 2019
Gintoki is always amazing. This is more interesting than the Elizabeth one and definitely not as long so that's a good thing.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama': Enchousen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HybridMBL - Mar 21, 2013

116 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 11, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Gintama': Enchousen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HybridMBL - Mar 7, 2013

101 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 11, 8:18 PM

Poll: » Gintama': Enchousen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Hyack - Feb 7, 2013

202 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 11, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Gintama': Enchousen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Jan 31, 2013

148 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 11, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Gintama': Enchousen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Jirou_Takashi - Jan 24, 2013

197 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 11, 7:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.