Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2013 2:29 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A lot of good ideas in this anime. Unfortunately it was too preachy, and thus failed to carry them across in an effective manner. Shame really, there was so much potential.

Great OST though (well it is Yoko Kanno after all).
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 29, 2013 6:55 AM

May 2009
My thoughts exactly, I agree with you on all points, especially about the soundtrack.

I'd just add that Chris is IMO one of the worst character in anime, I couldnt stand him at all.
Apr 10, 2014 12:25 AM

Apr 2012
The only good thing about this show was the OST, everything else was mediocre, its a shame really since it had so much potential to become something really good.

The last episode was ok, I still feel like they pull out the plot from their asses, like literally the objetive of the show was to preach against industrial and social development.

The art was shit, like wtf with the color of juna's hair every time some shit is getting down. The animation was good though, they really tried with the show.
なんとかなる
Aug 4, 2014 1:03 AM

Jul 2008
Did this anime have potential? Absolutely. However it was completely ruined by their execution.

The anime treated the view like they were stupid and everything in the world was evil. Language, knowledge, medicine, birth process, food treatment, take you're social pick its all evil and pretty much says there's nothing you can do about it.

Then there's Chris...OH MY GOD DID I HATE THIS GUY!!! He recruits Juna to save the world, then critizies, interferes, stop Juna at every turn and questions everything she does, calls her an idiot for not understanding every 5 seconds...well when you tell someone absolutely NOTHING, of course they won't understand you idiot!!! Then him turning out to be the enemy at the end....why couldn't they just kill him from the outset, its clear the catastrophe would not have occured if that had been done.

But no they went for the everything is one power up preachy end...

2/10 and that's for the soundtrack, Yoko Kanno is awesome, the rest was just wasted.
Aug 6, 2014 4:23 PM

Jan 2010
Four moments bothered while watching:
- The scene with the teacher. I'm unsure if the show wanted the viewers to agree with him or think of him as a nutjob outcast of society.
- The power of words/emotions. I can't quite qualify it, but it seemed really disingenuous.
- Before babies are even born, they are already suffering, and mothers can hear it, but their cries are drowned out by society. Well now.
- When everyone's clothes started melting. That's...huh.

This show was a difficult watch, but it wasn't outright bad. I mean, it had a crapton of ideas, but I'm not really sure if any of it was fully realized. It felt like a lecture about the destructiveness of consumerism and human nature. According to this show, nothing good has come from humanity and we're truly better off living in the wild, yet if all of today's conveniences were taken away, we'd all just die off.

I mean, this could have worked as an eye-opener type of show, especially with the real-life cuts, but I dunno. Juna is pinned as the reason why Japan was essentially destroyed by Chris. Rather than this being a message to all viewers about living more Earth-friendly, it becomes a giant guilt trip. This whole show has been a series of "you don't realize it," "you don't see it," and "you don't understand." It just seems like before even being born, you're already a victim of society, then once you're initiated into that very society, you become part of the problem that will eventually destroy the world.

...Wow, looking back, the show's makers must really hate people. Again, this isn't a bad show, but the transparency of the writing's bitterness really makes it difficult to accept.
ShockedAug 6, 2014 4:30 PM
Aug 11, 2014 4:28 PM

Nov 2011
It was actually pretty bad to the core when the show fails to grab my interest besides the OST. The story itself had a good premise but the writing and direction didn't work out. I didn't like any of the characters in the end with Chris being probably the guy that I'll easily forget for all the wrong reasons.

At least artwork was decent though. 3/10. It was bad.
Feb 6, 2015 12:39 AM

Jun 2010
This anime was weird, trippy and also a bit pessimistic and difficult to watch. Yet it was informative (and has a good message underneath) so that's what I'm gonna take away from it.
Aug 30, 2015 8:00 PM

May 2012
Pretty deep meaning this anime wants to present, while not everything about this series is top notch I still really enjoyed watching it as it had this quite unique style of presenting the information to it and with the supernatural aspect it sure touched my interest!

As this is my 3000th anime entree I must say that I quite enjoyed marathoning it! Up to the next goal being 4000!
Jan 8, 2017 10:02 PM

Jul 2011
This was annoying to watch. Usually I like series that talk about environmentalism, even if they're idealistic. But the way it was done in this series was ridiculous and preachy. To the point where Juna and other characters came off as nutjobs in some cases.

I really liked some of the ideas - notably about natural farming and modern medicine, but the show came off as anti-civilization rhetoric, because some of the things it criticizes applies to all forms of society (hunter-gather bands locate around resources and animals go for efficiency too, don't kid me). Rather than advocating respecting nature or going green per se, the show portrays society and all its aspects as terrible, so the solution is we should all be lone hermits and live off the land instead...? Can't even drink canned juice because insects die from pesticide and the vegetables are full of preservatives, so your body would cry from insect death... c'mon.

Great ideas about environmentalism, but terrible execution.

And the (unborn) babies episode, good grief. >>
Jul 3, 2017 3:26 PM

Jun 2007
For those with esoteric knowledge, there is nothing new in this anime, yet it's hard to find anything of the kind to be more dear and moving to watch. i absolutely love this.
see you, space cowperson . . .
May 4, 2021 8:14 PM
Sep 2016
Man, this show blows.
Jun 18, 2021 3:11 PM

Jun 2019
My 98th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it an 8/10 rating.
Jul 31, 2022 11:02 PM

Nov 2013
Some interesting concepts in an otherwise poorly animated series with "meh" characters keeps this from being a total flop.
Oct 19, 2023 3:57 AM

Nov 2009
It would've benefited from introducing us to Juna and Tokio before the accident, then we could've understood what it was they were losing, as in their normal lives and their relationship. Otherwise, I loved the concept based around spirituality and ecosystem. Some meaningful messages; The teacher asking why it is people do the 'wrong' thing boiling down to "because it's easier" stuck with me. That said, I didn't care for the characters and it made some episodes drag, it also felt like a bedtime story at times lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Earth Maiden Arjuna Episode 3 Discussion

meneope - Dec 9, 2009

7 by nhkam »»
Mar 12, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna Episode 11 Discussion

Farabeuf - Mar 9, 2013

4 by totherpage95 »»
Feb 29, 6:56 PM

Poll: » Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna Episode 7 Discussion

Crochax - Jun 25, 2013

5 by totherpage95 »»
Feb 29, 12:36 AM

Poll: » Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna Episode 1 Discussion

Farabeuf - Mar 3, 2013

12 by Ze3ke »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:06 PM

Poll: » Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna Episode 10 Discussion

TyrantRC - Apr 8, 2014

4 by OweynLupton »»
Apr 21, 2023 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.