Forum Settings
Forums
Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 2, 2013 10:22 PM

Mar 2012
At only 45 years of age, Hosoda will probably be directing anime for some time to come. But having just watched his most recent film, I am not sure what to think about him anymore. So naturally I will turn to MAL.

Do you think his direction is getting better, worse, staying the same, changing stylistically independent of the quality, or changing stylistically and in terms of quality?

Your thoughts don't have to fit neatly into one of those, of course. Discuss.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 3, 2013 1:49 AM

Dec 2009
I think he's only getting better (or perhaps, coming more into his own) which is only good for us because he was already great to begin with. The eye of detail, the framing of the shots, the subtle things like Hana's gentle smile (I can't remember such a perfect smile from any other anime), it's absolutely amazing.
Ara ara.
Mar 3, 2013 2:12 AM

Nov 2011
Wait? Is Wolf Children out and subbed?
The Art of Eight
Mar 3, 2013 8:24 AM

Dec 2009
Zorori-Project has subbed it.
Ara ara.
Mar 3, 2013 4:42 PM

Feb 2010
I loved Ookami Kodomo so I watched his other original movies (Toki wo kakeru shoujo and Summer Wars) but I was very disappointed, so in my opinion he's getting (a lot) better and his last job is his very masterpiece.
Mar 3, 2013 4:54 PM

Jun 2007
Truly I believe his best work is one of his earliest works; Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game (The Children's War Game) which most people I've noticed seem to overlook. When talking about Hosada I've noticed most fans only mention his two popular works Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo and Summer Wars. Granted his editing with Digimon in the beginning didn't give him his break but when you consider how old the two Digimon movies are he was well ahead of his time. For those of you who haven't seen the Digimon movies, even if you haven't seen the series I heavily suggest you go watch them ASAP!

Now don't get me wrong I LOVE Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo. It has drama, comedy and it amazingly made a great movie with a very overused clique plot, repeating the same day over and over. Usually I hate that kind of episode in anime series so when it was made into a whole movie I was skeptical about watching it but honestly Hosada-sensei was well in his element with it. That being said I didn't enjoy Summer Wars for two blatantly obvious reasons:

1) It's too much like Bokura no War Game that it ruined the concept and was borderlining plagerism and 2) Everyone seems to love this movie and yet no one ever mentions Digimon which is pretty much the same plot as Summer Wars. Being a diehard Digimon fan that turned me away from truly enjoying the movie.

Now Ookami Kodomo I heavily enjoyed and was very close to rating it a 10, and for me to give an anime a 10 it has to be EXTREMELY GOOD. I only have ever rated 1 anime on my list a 10 so it was that good, but as it went on I decided it would be a 9 because of some inconsistencies, such as Ookami's death as well as the development of Yuki and Ame when they were going to school and how Ame changed after drowning. Honestly I didn't see much of a difference, except that he got more serious but the ending was disappointing. I was very mad at Ame for leaving his mother like that. Granted I know that it was somewhat Hosada-sensei's biography about him deciding to be an animator but if they were going to include that I wish they had shown more of the development of Ame's change in personality.

As for the initial question his artwork has definitely improved. I was quite impressed with the animation of Ookami Kodomo as I was watching it and couldn't help but appreciate the amazing detail in nearly every frame and the smooth transitions of the children changing as they got older while still showing some of their characteristics from when they were little. Yuki was quite pretty once she reached 4th grade. My only criticism for the artwork is that Hana doesn't really seem to age much even though the movie spans 13 years where as Yuki ages too much and looks more like a teenager than an 11 year old. She had curves in places that she shouldn't.

Also as far as how well his plots go he stays about the same. As I initially said I truly believe Bokura no War Game was his best movie. It has the right amount of drama, comedy and action to make you appreciate the film while giving a pretty good closure as well as forshadowing the new season of Digimon Adventure Zero Two.
Mar 3, 2013 11:47 PM

Sep 2011
I'd say he is. His recent movie aka this one, and Summer Wars is really good. Didn't expect them to be that great IMO, but dam I was proven wrong especially for this one.
Mar 4, 2013 12:51 AM

Oct 2007
moezy-chan said:
1) It's too much like Bokura no War Game that it ruined the concept and was borderlining plagerism and 2) Everyone seems to love this movie and yet no one ever mentions Digimon which is pretty much the same plot as Summer Wars. Being a diehard Digimon fan that turned me away from truly enjoying the movie..

Well Bokura no War Game was a movie made by Hosoda so that's why people gave him a free pass,you can't exactly plagiarise yourself.
all for fun.fun for all
Mar 4, 2013 5:55 AM

Nov 2009
All of his works are great and I enjoyed every-bit of them. Not to mention about his unique style, I mean each of his work is different, but surely you can tell that it was him who made them.

This movie has exceeded my expectations and, once again, has guaranteed his skills. There's no doubt that he's getting better and better.
Takana_no_HanaMar 4, 2013 6:01 AM
Mar 4, 2013 8:32 AM

Jun 2007
totoum said:
[Well Bokura no War Game was a movie made by Hosoda so that's why people gave him a free pass,you can't exactly plagiarise yourself.

You can actually. There's rules regarding copying certain types of media. There's a section of it in both the APA and MLA format for citing works.
Mar 5, 2013 9:46 PM

Jul 2010
moezy-chan said:
totoum said:
[Well Bokura no War Game was a movie made by Hosoda so that's why people gave him a free pass,you can't exactly plagiarise yourself.

You can actually. There's rules regarding copying certain types of media. There's a section of it in both the APA and MLA format for citing works.

Not if you own the rights to both. Example if I owned and wrote One Piece and Hunter x Hunter and wanted to to a show where both are in the same world or make a show similar to OP but different in many ways I could. Cuz they are my shows.

ppl still watch digimon enough to care about this? they are two completely different movies. One is about family the other is about pocket monsters. Alot of people dont care that almost every harem or moe anime is the same. If they did the industry would change. Digimon is dated and lived its time. Summer Wars is completely different. Characters and setting. Plot may be similar but its different. Part of me thinks that Summer Wars is in homage to the Digimon movie in a way.

As for if he is becoming a better director I say...absolutely. The level of quality from summer wars to wolf children is so amazing.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Mar 6, 2013 7:03 AM

Oct 2007
zansabarshadow said:
[
ppl still watch digimon enough to care about this? they are two completely different movies. One is about family the other is about pocket monsters.

Here's the Digimon movie plot:

It begins when a new Digimon Egg is found on the internet, and manages to penetrate into almost every computer system in Japan. When the egg hatches, it's identified as a new kind of Digimon, a Virus-type. It sustains itself by eating data from various system, and starts wreaking havok in Japan. As it consumes more and more data, it continues to evolve. And Taichi and Koushiro decide it's time to stop it.

They're off, sending Agumon and Tentomon through the internet to fight off this new enemy. But, with the Virus controlling systems like the American military, all too soon, this digital menace may become all too real.

Digimon: Bokura no War game is a "beta version" of Summer Wars, even Hosoda says so.
all for fun.fun for all
Mar 10, 2013 1:53 AM

Mar 2012
I thought Wolf Children was a great deal better than Summer Wars. Not to say Summer Wars was bad in any way. It was brilliant. But Wolf Children is just so good. Easily one of my favourite movies of all time.

tl;dr: Yes, I do think he's becoming better
Mar 10, 2013 10:34 AM

Sep 2012
moezy-chan said:
1) It's too much like Bokura no War Game that it ruined the concept and was borderlining plagerism and 2) Everyone seems to love this movie and yet no one ever mentions Digimon which is pretty much the same plot as Summer Wars. Being a diehard Digimon fan that turned me away from truly enjoying the movie.

Being a diehard Digimon fan made me love Summer Wars even more, if anything. I loved Bokura no War Game, and I thought the idea that Hosoda also loved it enough to essentially remake it in a better, more substantial way was great.

But, as much as I adore Summer Wars, I do think Wolf Children is better. I've heard talk about how Hayao Miyazaki is getting older, and who could possibly fill his shoes after he's not making movies anymore. After seeing Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I thought Hosoda might be able to do it; after seeing Wolf Children, I'm sure he can.
Mar 10, 2013 11:14 AM

Sep 2012
I don't know, I don't think his style changed a lot. I've seen all of his movies with the exception of the digimon one, and his art style is easily recognizable. But the quality of his movie varied a bit more. The One Piece movie was OK, easily one of the best of the franchise, I liked the girl who leapt through time, I thought Summer Wars was average, and Wolf's children was his best movie so far. If he can maintain this kind of quality, he can easily replace Miyazaki.
Mar 10, 2013 7:07 PM

Oct 2007
Speaking as someone who loves both Summer Wars and Our War Game, saying that Summer Wars is just a copy of OWG is quite unfounded.

Summer Wars isn't about the stuff happening in the computer world. Sure, most of the plot centres around it, but the real meat of the story is the family aspect, something that OWG simply didn't have. Summer Wars took the exciting points and turned it into its own thing.

I loved Wolf Children as well, but it's too soon to tell if it will replace Summer Wars as my favourite of his works. It was really strong though. I'm looking forward to seeing it in theatres when Funimation shops it around.

Mar 10, 2013 7:25 PM

Mar 2012
I left my opinion out of the OP on purpose, but then forgot to post it later on, lol.

It's quite surprising to me that everyone likes Wolf Children so much. It's my least favourite of his three most recent films by a good margin. I haven't seen his earlier works, so I can't comment on those. In terms of the Miyazaki comparison, I wouldn't even say he's in the same league, yet. Maybe he will be in the coming decades.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 11, 2013 11:14 AM

Sep 2012
whoisfriend said:
Speaking as someone who loves both Summer Wars and Our War Game, saying that Summer Wars is just a copy of OWG is quite unfounded.

Summer Wars isn't about the stuff happening in the computer world. Sure, most of the plot centres around it, but the real meat of the story is the family aspect, something that OWG simply didn't have. Summer Wars took the exciting points and turned it into its own thing.

I loved Wolf Children as well, but it's too soon to tell if it will replace Summer Wars as my favourite of his works. It was really strong though. I'm looking forward to seeing it in theatres when Funimation shops it around.

This. The family stuff that was the central aspect of Summer Wars wasn't in Our War Game. I kind of felt Wolf Children expanded on that, which I loved. Summer Wars is still my favorite, but I found Wolf Children to be qualitatively better.
Mar 11, 2013 11:30 AM

Jun 2012
MetaKlonoa said:
whoisfriend said:

This. The family stuff that was the central aspect of Summer Wars wasn't in Our War Game. I kind of felt Wolf Children expanded on that, which I loved. Summer Wars is still my favorite, but I found Wolf Children to be qualitatively better.

Summer wars didn't have any focus. It just threw many topics towards you and expected to be experienced fully. It is like forcing you to be an actor and to express many different emotions one after another. That was almost as annoying as the execution and story building.
Wolf children didn't have any of that... it was quite simple and yet complex, the show just focused on those few parts and gave enough time to develop everything, speed up and slowed down at the right points. It was impressively well done and that's why I am all the more stunned, that they shared the same director.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
May 6, 2013 5:24 AM

Apr 2008
This was much much better than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars, both of which were 8/10s for me - this was a 10 by far.

Summer Wars had a good message to it but it was literally ALL OVER THE PLACE, and the girl who leapt through time was a bit stagnant at times (still a great work, better than Summer Wars)
Apr 12, 2014 9:14 PM
Jul 2012
I don't really think that he has become a better director. Mostly his works like The girl who leapt through time is not that great at all for me. Summer Wars is alright same to Wolf Children. Overall, his directing is not my most favorite, but he's okay.
Dec 11, 2014 12:18 AM

Nov 2011
He will be directing another film titled "The Boy and The Beast" next Summer.

Get hyped
Dec 12, 2014 7:19 AM

Dec 2007
Stark700 said:
He will be directing another film titled "The Boy and The Beast" next Summer.

Get hyped

After just watching Wolf Children a few days ago, I must say FUCK YES
Aug 16, 2015 2:22 AM

Mar 2010
It really doesn't seem like it, he's overrated as hell to begin with. I still haven't seen that Doremi episode, though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

gtr06 - Jul 24, 2012

420 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 13, 4:07 PM

» I hate ame

luksthefool - Mar 19

10 by Davoo »»
Mar 20, 1:37 PM

Poll: » what do you think of the end & Ame`s action ? ( 1 2 )

KaGi-13 - Apr 21, 2013

92 by KURAIKEN63 »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:58 AM

» Ame is loved that much?! really?!

aku_mado - Jul 3, 2022

20 by MichaelJackson »»
May 4, 2023 2:36 AM

» This anime is really weird

AunixHOT - Oct 8, 2021

33 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 10:33 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.