Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 1, 2013 9:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice shirts~

Funny how everyone wears the shirt of 'caruta'. Oh the joy. And a recorded match? Nice. Another good episode again this week. The team Chihaya's team is facing is interesting imo.

"We want to play a game with you again". Nice :3. Oh and the ending. HOLY SHIT.

Mar 1, 2013 9:36 AM
Dec 2012
Yeah funny the word was written in Roman letters, not in hiragana. haha
Who was that beautiful girl in the end? Now Arata forget about Chihaya? lol
And lol@Chihaya having no mercy to the newbies

Good episode as always.
Mar 1, 2013 11:09 AM

May 2009
You can compare

Mar 1, 2013 11:24 AM

Dec 2012
If this show had any hope of romance i would totally ship Shinbou and arata .
Shinbou fit arata really well she is almost the female version of him :).

Arata gets all them bitches , you mad tachi fans?
Mar 1, 2013 12:42 PM

Aug 2010
Fun episode.

But damn that ending!!!! Gave me goosebumps :D

Can't wait to see Shinobu and Arata's reaction to how much Chihaya has improved since the last time they met :)

Also really wanna know what Shinobu and Arata's relation is???
Mar 1, 2013 1:18 PM

Aug 2009
OMGG QUEEN IS SO CRAZY!! HAHAHA XD
Mar 1, 2013 1:21 PM

Nov 2008
Nice going there, Shinobu, you creeper. Although I love the way she looks right now, while her being chubby was endearing, this just looks so much better.
Mar 1, 2013 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode!!! When Chihaya was crying and Taichi didn't understand why. :D But...oh, dear, Miyano-san, your English is weird. Even though his pronunciation is good when he sings in English.
Mar 1, 2013 1:35 PM
Jan 2012
Wow that ending was kind of creepy how Shinobu crept up on Arata silently lol. How do they know each other I wonder?

It was funny how the team they played were pretending to speak fluent english or not know japanese until they were exposed by Taichi. And I loved how they were playing in unison, it was quite beautiful to watch!
Mar 1, 2013 2:08 PM

Jul 2007
DAT ENDING. So hyped for the next episode.
Mar 1, 2013 2:26 PM
Oct 2012
Gah! Just as it was getting good it had to end. This show ends way too quickly. Can't wait til next week.
Mar 1, 2013 3:17 PM

Jan 2011

I was surprised to see a team of foreigners great way to mix things up a bit. Great episode as always.

The Queen is back!
VioLinkMar 1, 2013 4:47 PM
[center]
Mar 1, 2013 3:27 PM

Aug 2010
Arata , :) my fave character in Chihayafuru!!
I wonder what the queen is up to hahah
Mar 1, 2013 3:28 PM

Jan 2012
WOW can't wait for next week :'(
Mar 1, 2013 3:35 PM

Jun 2009
Wow foreigners. Definetly added a new element to the game.
KinkyMeganeMar 1, 2013 4:01 PM
Mar 1, 2013 3:49 PM

Dec 2009
Chihaya crying because Karuta has gone 'global' was hilarious. It's especially funny because this series is likely doing wonders itself popularizing Karuta outside of Japan.
Ara ara.
Mar 1, 2013 3:51 PM

Jan 2011
Is Arata the prize for the match between Shinobu and Chihaya?

Actually I don't think Chihaya is interested in him that way (still cheering for Taichi and possibly in denial) but Shinobu may well be.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Mar 1, 2013 3:56 PM

Jun 2012
ENGRISH FTW!!!

We got a look at a wide array of opponents for Misuzawa Kokou and they're all interesting in their own ways. We have the all girl team led by the sadistic, dizty and popular captain; the fake foreigners with decent Engrish, and the reigning champions of the whole tournament along with Hokuo.

The way the author and Madhouse draw Shinobu is so mystifying, I'm drawn to her presence more so than anyone else( except when she gained weight at the end of last season : P)
Mar 1, 2013 3:57 PM
Mar 2011
the queen has graced us with her presence hehe

we are not worthy
"....i am the villain in this story"
Mar 1, 2013 4:01 PM

Jul 2011
That Engrish. Mixed feelings about the "foreigner" characters, but the note on the whiteboard was nice.

That creeper Queen. :D
Mar 1, 2013 4:10 PM
Apr 2011
Another strong episode. Chihayafuru2 brought me back to anime after kind of quitting for a year.

I love the clifhanger this episode, although I wish I could just marathon through all 25 episodes now...

The only thing that really bothers me is how chihaya lost to amakasu... She's supposed to have improved a lot and the difference between amakasu and the queen is just too large for her to lose to amakasu if she wanted a decent chance at challenging the queen.
Mar 1, 2013 4:35 PM

Jan 2012
I actually liked the foreigners. It was a great match. Also Arata is here, yay.

Mar 1, 2013 4:37 PM
Jun 2009
eminagnam said:
Who was that beautiful girl in the end? Now Arata forget about Chihaya?

Are you kidding it's Shinobu! and I totally ship them together.
Such a nice fluffy episode. LOL at the Engrish though. Your pronunciation is also not so cool, Taichi-kun! XD
rodac said:
Actually I don't think Chihaya is interested in him that way (still cheering for Taichi and possibly in denial)

oh, Kalahira, make it so.
Mar 1, 2013 4:44 PM

Sep 2009
We see Arata & Shinobu at the end & I cant wait for episode 9 >< Fujisaki Karuta-bu apparition was more excited me !!! I hope to see Sakurazawa-sensei next week !
Mar 1, 2013 4:48 PM

Jul 2011
eminagnam said:
Who was that beautiful girl in the end? Now Arata forget about Chihaya? lol
And lol@Chihaya having no mercy to the newbies

Good episode as always.

Really??
Yes it is Romanji, because it's english. "meant" for the foreigners whom they've just played.

The beautiful girl in the end was in the last season, and she is the Queen of Karuta. And nothing "romantic", just karuta competitiveness.

And of course, it is the national tournaments, there's no reason for them to hold back.

Anyways yay I'm glad we get to see the queen. and arata came to see his friends.
Now this episode passed by rather quickly, didn't even seem like 22 minutes.
And now i have to wait another whole week for another 22 minutes.
I just love this anime, that it is not enough...
:) meh.
Mar 1, 2013 4:53 PM

Aug 2008
Haha, Shinobu is creepy indeed! XD

Omg, I wish I can watch all the martches NOW!
Mar 1, 2013 5:03 PM

Nov 2007
lol @ Miyu-Miyu's character with taking photos by his cellphone. And nice combi with kouhai girl.

lol @ the tennen, mote, bad mouthing girl.

lol @ their opponents, who are foreign looking but purely love karuta. Seems like they became like "friends" (no hatred on opponents) during the competition.

Wow, queen was really scary at Arata part.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 1, 2013 5:22 PM

Jan 2008
Last minute with Shinobu appearing was better than the entire episode.
Mar 1, 2013 5:29 PM

Jun 2011
^0^ Oh my GOD, Miyano-san's Engrish, greatest thing for the day!

^_^ Arata's coming back...
T.T And OMG, Shinobu is creepy!
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!
Mar 1, 2013 6:34 PM

Oct 2011
Hmm honestly this episode didn't do anything for me. Worst episode of the season. I usually get all giddy inside when watching Chihayafuru but this episode was lacking a lot and actually made me irritated because each episode is usually so perfect.

The emphasis on the foreigners... They had too much dialogue, zero personality and showing their past a bit made no sense to me, because we'll probably never see them again and just wasted valuable minutes.

The match was nothing special, I wish they would just skipped the thing and told us they creamed the other team. Would have been awesome to give Arata and Shinobu more screen time as well, since 90% of people have been waiting anxiously to see Shinobu and/or Arata.

The only redeeming parts were Chihaya crying randomly and Shinobu being all creeper on Arata.
LuxtressMar 1, 2013 6:38 PM
Mar 1, 2013 6:52 PM

May 2012
I was surprised that Arata arrived.. and the Queen!!!! [she is really beautiful]...

Can't wait for next Saturday... I wonder what will happen :)
Mar 1, 2013 7:09 PM

Nov 2007
Things that we got to see in this episode:

01. Hanano is doing a wonderful job "The girls are all ordinary-looking!" +1
02. Tsukuba actually improved a lot with his playing! Loved it when they were in unison. +1
03. Nikuman's onee-san is terrible for doing that with the t-shirt. But I admire her love for her boyfriend. +1
04. Kana-chan and her love for poems remain as admirable as ever! +1
05. Tsukue-kun remains the real brain of the Mizusawa Karutabu! +1
06. Chiba's team was heartwarming! The farewell message to them from our team was adorable! +1
07. Taichi is now putting the team goal above his own goal. Great change in personality. +1
08. Arata can lie! That news to me! +1
09. Shinobu can be so creepy! But I love that side of hers! +1
10. Akashi can be an outside contender! I think our team will face them in the semis! +1
11. Fujisaki might be the final team our Mizusawa Karutabu ends up meeting! That side-wise look gave a good hint! +1
12. Our Queen-to-be is in love to see Karuta being loved. But she was amazing as always with her skills. And those teary eyes! +♥

Cannot wait for the tournament to reach vital games!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 1, 2013 7:16 PM

May 2011
This episode was wonderful, watching the Chiba team being inspired by Chihaya and company. I hope we get to see that team again since they seemed like a fresh nice new bunch.
Mar 1, 2013 7:38 PM
Jan 2013
OMG THAT END!!!!!! Fridays come faster please!
Mar 1, 2013 8:16 PM

Mar 2012
I unfortunately have to say that this episode didn't get me too absorbed. Their realizations and the things they learned in this match were much less profound than usual, so I didn't care for this set-up too much, though I did like the attempt to give us something new with a team of foreigners.
That ending though... I'm so excited for the next episode. I love Shinobu, haha.
Arata x Shinobu, please... (One can hope.)
Mar 1, 2013 8:17 PM
Sep 2012
bastek66 said:
You can compare

Shinobu looks more beautiful in the anime than she does in the manga. I still like her though and her appearance behind Arata in the end was a real surprise.

This game was fun to watch. I love how everyone was intimidated with the sight of non Japanese people actually playing Karuta. Their English wasn't bad either.
Mar 1, 2013 8:18 PM

Jun 2011
I really enjoyed the foreigners, they were very unique.
Mar 1, 2013 8:52 PM

Aug 2012
Ya know what I hate about this anime? When it ends. Gah, that ending, I was like "oh shit yes continue plz-*credits*-ahhh"

I also didn't like how much dialogue and characterization the foreigners got, even if it was meant to construct the message of the episode. I liked how they asserted just how serious they were about karuta, but I feel like they should've gotten past the 'shock' of the foreigners' playing style quicker and just dominated them from the second or third verse. Plus, whenever they revealed Tsukuba would start I was hoping the match would focus more heavily on him developing his game and showing us the improvements he's already made.
Mar 1, 2013 9:42 PM

May 2010
Arata and Shinobu!? :O Hell yes! Epic ending!!:D
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Mar 1, 2013 11:00 PM
Feb 2011
Balakirev said:
Another strong episode. Chihayafuru2 brought me back to anime after kind of quitting for a year.

I love the clifhanger this episode, although I wish I could just marathon through all 25 episodes now...

The only thing that really bothers me is how chihaya lost to amakasu... She's supposed to have improved a lot and the difference between amakasu and the queen is just too large for her to lose to amakasu if she wanted a decent chance at challenging the queen.

You sort of missed what Chihaya was doing during the match then. Chihaya treated him as a A-class level practice match to test and perfect her technique. If you didn't realize what she was doing, I'll tell you. She was working on mastering her accuracy and her arm movements to be as minimal as possible. That means, aiming for the corners of the cards and the like. But to do that, she sacrificed her speed. In other words, she purposely slowed herself down to grow as a player. That's why Amakasu was angry at being looked down upon by Chihaya. She made up with her improvement to her hearing (basically, Master Suo's style). But by trying to copy Shinobu's style, she handicapped herself against the Hokuo ace player and only lost by 1 card.

Basically, she was ready to sacrifice that match to improve herself as player. And because of that, she narrowly lost against an inferior player.
Mar 1, 2013 11:17 PM

Apr 2009
Oh this anime is so awesome, everytime watching and listening to the OP makes me smile so badly :D
Mar 1, 2013 11:56 PM

Oct 2009
she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him she's touching him

THIS EPISODE
Mar 2, 2013 12:28 AM

Nov 2012
Sonofabitch! Want to hear what Shinobu wants to say so bad!!
Can't wait for the reunion! Just... can't wait!

Mar 2, 2013 5:31 AM

Apr 2009
These episodes are over way too fast... :\

Mar 2, 2013 7:25 AM

Oct 2011
nice game mizusawa! :D
whoa. shinobu eh..?
Mar 2, 2013 7:32 AM
Apr 2011
Ncrdrg said:
Balakirev said:

You sort of missed what Chihaya was doing during the match then. Chihaya treated him as a A-class level practice match to test and perfect her technique. If you didn't realize what she was doing, I'll tell you. She was working on mastering her accuracy and her arm movements to be as minimal as possible. That means, aiming for the corners of the cards and the like. But to do that, she sacrificed her speed. In other words, she purposely slowed herself down to grow as a player. That's why Amakasu was angry at being looked down upon by Chihaya. She made up with her improvement to her hearing (basically, Master Suo's style). But by trying to copy Shinobu's style, she handicapped herself against the Hokuo ace player and only lost by 1 card.

Basically, she was ready to sacrifice that match to improve herself as player. And because of that, she narrowly lost against an inferior player.
No, I didn't "miss" it. Perhaps you don't play any similar types of game. Evidentally karuta also follows the "dan" system, given that yumin was said to be 6 dan.

There is another game which was popular in Japan historically called igo (weiqi in chinese, baduk in Korean). It also follows a dan ranking system, and also has Meijin. In fact, I'm pretty sure shogi and karuta Meijins came from the igo meijin.

Why am I mentioning this? The point is, we know that amakasu is a mediocre A-kyuu player - Maybe 2-3dan at best. On the other hand, the queen is at least 6dan level. The difference is huge, as seen by how amakasu lost to the queen by over 20 cards.

There's simply no way a 6dan player can lose to a low dan player, no matter how they change their style. The difference is just too big.

Maybe karuta is different, but I doubt it. If you're strong enough to challenge the queen, amakasu should be easy no matter what you do.
Mar 2, 2013 8:49 AM
Feb 2013
bastek66 said:
You can compare

Don't tell me she has a thing for Arata?
Mar 2, 2013 11:20 AM

Oct 2012
I loved how they animated the other team.
MIZUSAWA FIGHTTTTT! XD

And, when I saw Shinobu's hand, I thought "OMG, SADAKO!" haha. XD

4/5
NaniiMar 2, 2013 11:28 AM
Mar 2, 2013 12:44 PM

Jul 2012
THAT FELT LIKE 3 MINUTES INSTEAD OF 21! D: UGH GOTTA WAIT ANOTHER WEEK AGAIN :C

Creeper Queen-chan hahaha
Mar 2, 2013 12:59 PM
Sep 2012
They're most likely 1st generation Japanese, not "foreigners". So xenophobic!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2013

138 by bassyey »»
Mar 16, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2013

160 by fathandz »»
Feb 17, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2013

136 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2013

181 by fathandz »»
Feb 11, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 10, 2013

110 by fathandz »»
Feb 7, 9:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.