Forum Settings
Forums

I like the way you die boy! Opinions on Django Unchained?

New
Feb 23, 2013 10:52 AM

Apr 2008
I thought it was good, but slightly disappointing for reasons I will go into if anybody replies to this thread.
Feb 23, 2013 12:42 PM

Feb 2013
Why did you find it slightly disappointing? I'm curious.
Feb 23, 2013 3:14 PM

Sep 2011
This thread came pretty late lol. I really liked it. I don't really think Christopher Waltz was deserving of that Oscar, even though he did a great job.

The part where Quentin tried to do an aussie accent was just painful, even though he was only in it for a few seconds.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Feb 23, 2013 3:15 PM
Jul 2012
Have not seen it. Heard my brother hates it.
Feb 23, 2013 3:24 PM

May 2010
heard good things about it. Watched it and found it average. Hollywood cinema so boring.
Feb 24, 2013 1:16 AM

Apr 2008
ell it was disappointing if you compare it to other Tarantino movies in the past, most of which imo had more thought put into them. Also this was nowhere near as good as Inglorious Bastards.

I think Quentin got a bit carried away with the whole fantasy/realism mix here. I mean I think Christopher Waltz is a great actor and he made a brilliant Hans Landa but he just isn't in his element in the US, a lot of the time I was wondering - "wtf is Hans Landa doing in a Western" - and I say this because his english sounded exactly the same as Landa's - after spending 4+ years (storywise) in America he sounded as German as ever.

apatch3Feb 24, 2013 7:06 AM
Feb 24, 2013 7:08 AM

Apr 2008
So essentially after Waltz's brilliant show stopping performance in Bastards Quentin had to "use him again" and thus came up with a rather unconvincing role that he was forced into.

The plot was good I suppose for a while - I mean as it was building up it was quite enjoyable to watch esp " I like the way you die boy" but the tension was never quite as visceral as it had been in other movies (resevoir dogs for example) I felt Dicaprio was trying too hard - I was never on the edge of my seat

What I do like is that it showed slavery at its worst and didn't shy away from it, so I suppose it gets points in that regard (even if some of the things were exaggerated) its this sort of shock value the world needs to remember how stupid people were in the past - that goes for slavery, nazi-ism and whatever else.
Feb 24, 2013 7:08 AM

Apr 2008
My main problem was the ending - it just went nuts it was the whole Bar scene from Ing Basterds again - except the tension hadn't been building up and Waltz who had thusfar been an extremely intelligent character suddenly blew it because he couldn't shake the bastard's hand? After this scene the whole film went nuts and turned into a giant bloodbath where Django just killed everyone - and I mean everyone. I thought that was a bit fantastical and even when he did run away with beloved he was a murderer and an outlaw.

I hate to say it but the movie was contrived, and it took inglorious bastards and amplified all the cliche's (revenge for example).

@Jenny, are you sure he was trying to do an Aussie accent? The other men with him sounded Scottish - maybe Quentin's failed Scottish accent just sounded Australian to you? (or maybe it was the other way around XD)
Feb 24, 2013 10:45 AM

Sep 2012
He was supposed to be Australian, Tarantino said so himself. Was the triple posting really necessary?

I enjoyed Django. It's a shame about the messy pacing and weak last half hour, it started off so well.
Feb 24, 2013 10:51 AM

Apr 2008
Slowdive said:
He was supposed to be Australian, Tarantino said so himself. Was the triple posting really necessary?

I enjoyed Django. It's a shame about the messy pacing and weak last half hour, it started off so well.

it was as the forum wouldn't let me post the whole thing in one go - I even messaged a mod about it.
Feb 24, 2013 11:01 AM

Sep 2012
Ah, I getcha.

Quentin also said in an interview he wanted to make a trilogy of sorts, which is why Django is also a revenge tale like Inglorious and the two have so many similarities.
Feb 24, 2013 11:25 AM

Feb 2013
apatch3 said:
My main problem was the ending - it just went nuts it was the whole Bar scene from Ing Basterds again - except the tension hadn't been building up and Waltz who had thusfar been an extremely intelligent character suddenly blew it because he couldn't shake the bastard's hand? After this scene the whole film went nuts and turned into a giant bloodbath where Django just killed everyone - and I mean everyone. I thought that was a bit fantastical and even when he did run away with beloved he was a murderer and an outlaw.

I hate to say it but the movie was contrived, and it took inglorious bastards and amplified all the cliche's (revenge for example).

@Jenny, are you sure he was trying to do an Aussie accent? The other men with him sounded Scottish - maybe Quentin's failed Scottish accent just sounded Australian to you? (or maybe it was the other way around XD)

Good points! I didn't really liked the ending too.
Feb 24, 2013 7:28 PM

Aug 2012
Yeah, the ending was the worst part of the film. I mean, really? Schultz was basically the main character, despite getting an Oscar for supporting role (lol), and he was the intelligent one of the two. How would he make such a stupid mistake like that in the end?

Was pretty brutal, too, compared to Tarantino's other films, which were heavy on the bloodshed, but in a comedic way by simply overdoing it. Django had some scenes where the brutality was really undiluted by comedy (like the fistfight of the two... uhm... black people).
I'm not sure if this is a bad thing, made it much more realistic, but it was not what I expected.
Feb 24, 2013 7:38 PM

Nov 2011
I enjoyed it, but I feel like that Schultz's death made it turn for the worse. He was a brilliant character and I feel like they really down-played him when they got caught as he just gave up without trying to outwit the guy.

Otherwise I found the whole thing great! I loved how gory it was, the lame text and stuff plus the whole shooting the main antagonist's sister and making her fly deal. It kind of had that old touch to it that just added to the movie. Jokes were great as well, lots of humor.

That one death is just what off-set the movie for me. I still really enjoyed it though.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Feb 24, 2013 8:40 PM

Sep 2011
apatch3 said:

Nope, it was definitely Australian. Just google it and you'll find plenty more people bashing him for it.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Feb 25, 2013 3:20 AM

Apr 2008
Haha I guess it was just THAT bad then.
Feb 25, 2013 6:28 AM

Sep 2012
apatch3 said:

Do you know Blaxploitation?

That will help you to understand the ending a bit more.
Feb 25, 2013 10:44 AM
Dec 2012
It was pretty good.
Feb 25, 2013 12:24 PM

Apr 2008
SetsukoHara said:
apatch3 said:

Do you know Blaxploitation?

That will help you to understand the ending a bit more.

I must confess I've had to google the term. I'm not sure it changes my opinion though.
Feb 25, 2013 4:31 PM

Oct 2012
Dango unchained?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 26, 2013 12:47 AM

Dec 2011
I watched it with my friends and we all agreed that we were very disappointed. I usually like Tarantino's movies, but Django was just plain trashy. Okay, it was kinda fun to watch (as in it wasn't slow or boring, on the contrary, too fast), but that's about it. I expected something more than just a super-ultra-cool-kickass black slave, but no, there was actually no point other than that. I don't know, for me it was like Tarantino went back through time to the age of 12 and then wrote the script. I know that it's just his style but I think he went overboard this time. I liked the acting though, but I may be biased when it comes to Waltz.
Feb 26, 2013 12:46 PM

Apr 2008
At least I'm not alone, you're right it was very disappointing for a Tarantino flick. I saw another movie yesterday, I haven't seen a movie as inspiring in a long long time - Cashback (2006), there is hope for cinema yet.
Feb 26, 2013 1:51 PM

Dec 2011
Definitely!
Off topic, but yeah, seems okay, added it to my movie list.
Feb 26, 2013 1:55 PM

Nov 2012
I didn't really like it, I found it to be mediocre.
Feb 27, 2013 2:29 PM

Aug 2009
I loved the movie.There was none of that stupid we can't do that to the bad guy because that would make us like them nonsense like in the batman movies and cartoons or the end of roots. The bag guys got what the deserve and the hero accomplished his goal.
ezikialrageFeb 27, 2013 2:55 PM
Feb 28, 2013 8:45 PM

Apr 2012
katsucats said:
Dango unchained?

More topics from this board

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

14 by Jamk_ »»
19 minutes ago

» AI generated OP/ED themes from imaginary anime that I came up with. (Over 20 songs and counting!)

FFandMMfan - Yesterday

2 by FFandMMfan »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7552 by SilentAssassin88 »»
7 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3379 by SilentAssassin88 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » The Sopranos vs The Wire vs Breaking Bad

DOSS300 - Yesterday

0 by DOSS300 »»
Yesterday, 10:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.