MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

I like the way you die boy! Opinions on Django Unchained?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Music & Entertainment »» I like the way you die boy! Opinions on Django Unchained?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
02-23-13, 10:52 AM

I thought it was good, but slightly disappointing for reasons I will go into if anybody replies to this thread.

02-23-13, 12:42 PM

Why did you find it slightly disappointing? I'm curious.

02-23-13, 3:14 PM

This thread came pretty late lol. I really liked it. I don't really think Christopher Waltz was deserving of that Oscar, even though he did a great job.

The part where Quentin tried to do an aussie accent was just painful, even though he was only in it for a few seconds.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network

02-23-13, 3:15 PM

Have not seen it. Heard my brother hates it.
Espadas will always be the best!

02-23-13, 3:24 PM

heard good things about it. Watched it and found it average. Hollywood cinema so boring.

02-24-13, 1:16 AM

ell it was disappointing if you compare it to other Tarantino movies in the past, most of which imo had more thought put into them. Also this was nowhere near as good as Inglorious Bastards.

I think Quentin got a bit carried away with the whole fantasy/realism mix here. I mean I think Christopher Waltz is a great actor and he made a brilliant Hans Landa but he just isn't in his element in the US, a lot of the time I was wondering - "wtf is Hans Landa doing in a Western" - and I say this because his english sounded exactly the same as Landa's - after spending 4+ years (storywise) in America he sounded as German as ever.

Modified by apatch3, 02-24-13, 7:06 AM

02-24-13, 7:08 AM

So essentially after Waltz's brilliant show stopping performance in Bastards Quentin had to "use him again" and thus came up with a rather unconvincing role that he was forced into.

The plot was good I suppose for a while - I mean as it was building up it was quite enjoyable to watch esp " I like the way you die boy" but the tension was never quite as visceral as it had been in other movies (resevoir dogs for example) I felt Dicaprio was trying too hard - I was never on the edge of my seat

What I do like is that it showed slavery at its worst and didn't shy away from it, so I suppose it gets points in that regard (even if some of the things were exaggerated) its this sort of shock value the world needs to remember how stupid people were in the past - that goes for slavery, nazi-ism and whatever else.

02-24-13, 7:08 AM

My main problem was the ending - it just went nuts it was the whole Bar scene from Ing Basterds again - except the tension hadn't been building up and Waltz who had thusfar been an extremely intelligent character suddenly blew it because he couldn't shake the bastard's hand? After this scene the whole film went nuts and turned into a giant bloodbath where Django just killed everyone - and I mean everyone. I thought that was a bit fantastical and even when he did run away with beloved he was a murderer and an outlaw.

I hate to say it but the movie was contrived, and it took inglorious bastards and amplified all the cliche's (revenge for example).

@Jenny, are you sure he was trying to do an Aussie accent? The other men with him sounded Scottish - maybe Quentin's failed Scottish accent just sounded Australian to you? (or maybe it was the other way around XD)

02-24-13, 10:45 AM

He was supposed to be Australian, Tarantino said so himself. Was the triple posting really necessary?

I enjoyed Django. It's a shame about the messy pacing and weak last half hour, it started off so well.

02-24-13, 10:51 AM

Slowdive said:
He was supposed to be Australian, Tarantino said so himself. Was the triple posting really necessary?

I enjoyed Django. It's a shame about the messy pacing and weak last half hour, it started off so well.

it was as the forum wouldn't let me post the whole thing in one go - I even messaged a mod about it.

02-24-13, 11:01 AM

Ah, I getcha.

Quentin also said in an interview he wanted to make a trilogy of sorts, which is why Django is also a revenge tale like Inglorious and the two have so many similarities.

02-24-13, 11:25 AM

apatch3 said:
My main problem was the ending - it just went nuts it was the whole Bar scene from Ing Basterds again - except the tension hadn't been building up and Waltz who had thusfar been an extremely intelligent character suddenly blew it because he couldn't shake the bastard's hand? After this scene the whole film went nuts and turned into a giant bloodbath where Django just killed everyone - and I mean everyone. I thought that was a bit fantastical and even when he did run away with beloved he was a murderer and an outlaw.

I hate to say it but the movie was contrived, and it took inglorious bastards and amplified all the cliche's (revenge for example).

@Jenny, are you sure he was trying to do an Aussie accent? The other men with him sounded Scottish - maybe Quentin's failed Scottish accent just sounded Australian to you? (or maybe it was the other way around XD)

Good points! I didn't really liked the ending too.

02-24-13, 7:28 PM

Yeah, the ending was the worst part of the film. I mean, really? Schultz was basically the main character, despite getting an Oscar for supporting role (lol), and he was the intelligent one of the two. How would he make such a stupid mistake like that in the end?

Was pretty brutal, too, compared to Tarantino's other films, which were heavy on the bloodshed, but in a comedic way by simply overdoing it. Django had some scenes where the brutality was really undiluted by comedy (like the fistfight of the two... uhm... black people).
I'm not sure if this is a bad thing, made it much more realistic, but it was not what I expected.

02-24-13, 7:38 PM
Forum Moderator
I enjoyed it, but I feel like that Schultz's death made it turn for the worse. He was a brilliant character and I feel like they really down-played him when they got caught as he just gave up without trying to outwit the guy.

Otherwise I found the whole thing great! I loved how gory it was, the lame text and stuff plus the whole shooting the main antagonist's sister and making her fly deal. It kind of had that old touch to it that just added to the movie. Jokes were great as well, lots of humor.

That one death is just what off-set the movie for me. I still really enjoyed it though.
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Site & Forum Guidelines | MAL Guidelines | Report Abuse

02-24-13, 8:40 PM

apatch3 said:

Nope, it was definitely Australian. Just google it and you'll find plenty more people bashing him for it.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network

02-25-13, 3:20 AM

Haha I guess it was just THAT bad then.

02-25-13, 6:28 AM

apatch3 said:

Do you know Blaxploitation?

That will help you to understand the ending a bit more.
When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting.
When the last living thing dies, my job is finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave.

02-25-13, 10:44 AM

It was pretty good.

02-25-13, 12:24 PM

SetsukoHara said:
apatch3 said:

Do you know Blaxploitation?

That will help you to understand the ending a bit more.

I must confess I've had to google the term. I'm not sure it changes my opinion though.

02-25-13, 4:31 PM

Dango unchained?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices