Forum Settings
Forums

Director of Psycho-Pass Apologizes for Poor Quality of Episode 18

New
Feb 21, 2013 4:37 AM

Feb 2008
Director Shiotani Naoyoshi has announced on his Twitter account that they will revise the animation of Psycho-Pass episode 18. He apologized for airing the episode incomplete.

Source: Shiotani's Tweet
NaruleachFeb 21, 2013 10:48 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 21, 2013 4:43 AM

Sep 2010
Subs are not out yet, but can't wait to see this quality animation.

So will they re-air this episode or are they just revising it for the DVD/Blu-ray release?
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 21, 2013 4:50 AM

Feb 2008
Roloko said:

So will they re-air this episode or are they just revising it for the DVD/Blu-ray release?

I don't think there will be an extra re-airing soon. There is a two-week gap between the airings on Fuji TV and BS Fuji. So the revised edition might be aired on other channels if they make it. If they can't, it will be likely to be released first on Blu-ray.
Feb 21, 2013 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
oh, this hasn't happened in quite a while
Feb 21, 2013 4:58 AM

Aug 2007
I havent seen recently psyco pass, but now, only for curiosity I'll continue. Maybe we have the version that aired in Tv.
Feb 21, 2013 5:12 AM

Mar 2008
Thing I like about this most is that apologising implies that they have a certain standard they adhere to, and that they're aware that they didn't meet their expectations. A shame that the ep is a tad poor but good news going forward for the viewers, myself included.
Feb 21, 2013 5:12 AM
Feb 2013
They should fix episode 17 too. Some faces in that looked horrendous.
Feb 21, 2013 5:24 AM

Sep 2010
Saudades said:

I noticed that last week too I was like what is going on with the quality recently?
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 21, 2013 5:54 AM

Oct 2009
The Son of SHAFT Rises !!!
Feb 21, 2013 5:58 AM

Jan 2013
Saudades said:

I thought it was just me! Some of it looked truly terrible and it stood out even more as the quality had previously been excellent - disappointing as ep 17 was kind of important
Makes you wonder how bad ep 18 turned out?

Feb 21, 2013 6:08 AM
Aug 2011
All of the budget went into Makishima's bared legs in the last episode.

Really though, since we're at the final stretch of the show the animation should be at it's best, hey but at least someone recognizes that they aren't doing they best they can.
Feb 21, 2013 6:12 AM
Nov 2009
Obviously the animation team for Psycho-Pass are working on a very tight schedule. The amount of outsourcing for the show is ridiculous as a result and the animation directors probably don't even have time to review the animation.
Feb 21, 2013 6:22 AM

Feb 2012
Oh, atleast they admitted and even apologized. The storyline will probably make up for the quality loss anyway :D
Feb 21, 2013 6:45 AM

Jun 2010
Haven't watched this one, but does anybody remember that episode of Guilty Crown where the animation was completely messed up? Proportions where different, faces were screwed up and it was awkwardly animated... I think it was the episode where
Feb 21, 2013 6:52 AM
Mar 2012
there is always a poor quality in the eps, it's called akane
Feb 21, 2013 7:23 AM

Feb 2012
dont be sad we forgive you
Feb 21, 2013 7:26 AM

Sep 2012
Did I smell Ep.18.5 ?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Feb 21, 2013 7:31 AM

Jan 2011
Shaduge said:

Hahaha no.
[center]
Feb 21, 2013 8:04 AM

Sep 2012
Question is, do you do this or put out .5 episodes and put the last episodes out late? I prefer this since I buy many BDs so it is a nice bonus to get fixed up animation along with all the other extras.
Feb 21, 2013 8:06 AM

Jul 2011
co_flame said:
Thing I like about this most is that apologising implies that they have a certain standard they adhere to, and that they're aware that they didn't meet their expectations. A shame that the ep is a tad poor but good news going forward for the viewers, myself included.

This...

VioLink said:
Shaduge said:

Hahaha no.

...and this.

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Feb 21, 2013 8:49 AM

Jul 2010
edwd2 said:
oh, this hasn't happened in quite a while

If you are referring to the Director admitting that the product was put out flawed, yes it is relatively rare. However, fixing things after the initial broadcast is not that uncommon. Madoka was a prime example. Almost every episode had additional detail added between the initial broadcast and the web version on NicoNico. I assume there was even more changes in the BluRay/DVD versions. Madoka also had a similar thing happen, with the final two episodes being delayed due to the earthquake/tsunami and the production committee admitting that it would be better to put out a polished final product than to rush out something that would be inferior in quality.
Feb 21, 2013 8:55 AM

Sep 2012
Just watched ep.18.

In my opinion sakuga is not as bad as the twitter seemed to indicate but on the other hand the story is not that interesting in this episode. I think the sakuga problem was most prominent near the end. And also it seems the motion is sometimes not smooth enough, perhaps the number of frames is not sufficient. And the voice sometimes does not synchronize with the mouth movement.

And one of the worst sakuga is like this:

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Feb 21, 2013 9:20 AM

Jun 2010
I wonder when will A-1 apologize for all the shit they've done.
Feb 21, 2013 9:29 AM
Aug 2011
Well.... This at least shows that they have some standards that they follow... And this time they were below that standard
Feb 21, 2013 9:37 AM

Jun 2011
katenosh said:
Saudades said:

I thought it was just me! Some of it looked truly terrible and it stood out even more as the quality had previously been excellent - disappointing as ep 17 was kind of important

W-who.. is that.. -.-
parfaited said:

LOL!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 21, 2013 9:46 AM

Apr 2009
Natsu12345 said:
katenosh said:
Saudades said:

W-who.. is that.. -.-
parfaited said:

LOL!

is this real? it's so bad D:
Feb 21, 2013 9:47 AM

Nov 2008
I haven't watched it yet cause it just came out but way to crash my hope bro
Feb 21, 2013 9:52 AM
Mar 2010
Ohhh? This is sad to hear. But hopefully things will get better in the next episode.
With the amazing story this anime has, one episode with bad animation isn't too bad.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Feb 21, 2013 10:42 AM

Jul 2011
symbv said:
Just watched ep.18.

In my opinion sakuga is not as bad as the twitter seemed to indicate but on the other hand the story is not that interesting in this episode. I think the sakuga problem was most prominent near the end. And also it seems the motion is sometimes not smooth enough, perhaps the number of frames is not sufficient. And the voice sometimes does not synchronize with the mouth movement.

Well... I still need to watch the full episode, but...
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-14710.html At first seems as bad as the director said. :x

-MgZ_ said:
I wonder when will A-1 and JC Staff apologize for all the shit they've done.

Here, I corrected it a bit for you. x)

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Feb 21, 2013 10:45 AM
Feb 2013
katenosh said:
Saudades said:

I was worrying how bad ep 18 would be if they consider ep 17 to be acceptable.
...Just wow. This should be up there with the legendary ep 4 of Gurren Lagann.
Feb 21, 2013 10:49 AM

Jun 2011
symbv said:
Just watched ep.18.

God i laughed for at least a minute when i opened that spoiler, that was great thanks for that you filled a little bit of that empty feeling i got after finishing Rewrite and thought to myself "fuck now i finished it and i cant read it anymore" just like everytime i finish reading something i really like =/
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Feb 21, 2013 10:58 AM

Dec 2012
Animation quality is primarily based on three factors: studio, budget and time
Considering Production I.G. is in charge of this and Urbochi's creation is their flagship title (they have another Uro's title coming out this year).the studio and budget concerns are out of the picture. This leads me to think that the mess up was caused by time constraints that force director to air an episode without proper animation inspection and clean-up.

That said, I don't think this is a bad publicity at all, in fact, it might be the opposite. Most fans follow the anime because of the story, not the animation since its quality is average in today's standard, even when we compare it to other Steampunk's titles. Not only that, the timely apology (pretty rare in the anime industry) will be viewed as a courageous move and signaling a rigid adherence to high quality. This, along with 'no Moe' commitment, should boost Psycho-pass's reputation considerably. However, the real impact will be felt when the BD/DVDs are released. Fans of the series will have more incentive to buy BDs since they expect to see better quality than what was shown on TV (This may remind you of a similar fiasco called Bakemonogatari. Same concept, different execution, arguably splendid result)

In conclusion, it is an unexpected but classic PR move that did exactly what PR supposed to do: turns bad things into good publicity, reverses customer's perceptions
Feb 21, 2013 11:00 AM

Aug 2011
-MgZ_ said:
Only in our dreams.
Feb 21, 2013 11:07 AM

Dec 2012
DraconisMarch said:
-MgZ_ said:
Only in our dreams.

^ This. They have no reason to if their messes sell like hot cakes
Feb 21, 2013 11:17 AM

Jul 2010
Ah... If ALL failures in anime are apologize like this...

I haven't watch the episode, but in tumblr many people up pictures of Psycho-Pass ep 18 and yeah... LOT of quality.

But I forgive him...
Feb 21, 2013 11:21 AM
Mar 2012
VioLink said:

Hahaha no.

Whenever I see that scene, it feels like I'm the one getting a hit to the head.
That's what I call a gift, from the authors to akane, it's not that she was able to do it because of her skills in combat or intelligence -which we keep hearing about since the beginning of the show but never see anything that proves it- , she did it because the authors wanted so. I'm pretty sure makashima could have dodged it but hey, if the authors want him to freeze and act surprised, he'll freeze and act surprised. Btw what's a single example supposed to prove?
Feb 21, 2013 11:37 AM

Dec 2012
Shaduge said:

Whenever I see that scene, it feels like I'm the one getting a hit to the head.
That's what I call a gift, from the authors to akane, it's not that she was able to do it because of her skills in combat or intelligence -which we keep hearing about since the beginning of the show but never see anything that proves it- , she did it because the authors wanted so. I'm pretty sure makashima could have dodged it but hey, if the authors want him to freeze and act surprised, he'll freeze and act surprised. Btw what's a single example supposed to prove?

Akane is pretty skillful, the test score, which includes exam and filed practices proved it. I think the author actually purposefully reduced Akane's ability, making her act stupid
Makishima froze because of his hubris, he just about to finished off his supposedly rival for good. Of all the 'flawlessness' that people are praising Makishima, this may be the fatal flaw that leads to his downfall.
This example proves that Akane is a really tough character. How's about the time she was put on really painful mental test of her friend's death? She did it herself even with all the risks and passed it without damaging her Psycho-Pass. Like her or hate her, Akane is essential to resolve the conflict in this story.
Feb 21, 2013 11:39 AM

Aug 2009
They should remake the whole show.
-Fixing-
Feb 21, 2013 12:08 PM
Aug 2012
I've always liked the art in Psycho-Pass... But why do all the women have such ugly faces?
Feb 21, 2013 12:16 PM

Dec 2012
Sorayin said:
I've always liked the art in Psycho-Pass... But why do all the women have such ugly faces?

Maybe because we are used to 'Moe' faces xD. But seriously, did you forget Akane's friend?!
I think the women's faces are fine, some are better than others, just like the real world.
Feb 21, 2013 12:25 PM

Jan 2008
Roloko said:
Saudades said:

I noticed that last week too I was like what is going on with the quality recently?

Welcome to the Anime industry. It's expected to see the quality in animation somewhere down the line. Though as another has said, it is IG's flagship title. Still, if he's apologised, it means it was just a fuck-up rather than being pressed for budget.

Wonder how Psycho Pass is doing in ratings/sales. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Feb 21, 2013 12:34 PM
Jul 2010
Ammish said:
The first volume:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=555237#msg19891845
Feb 21, 2013 12:35 PM

Sep 2012
Dusk252 said:
Ammish said:
The first volume:
Rating-wise it is around average for a NoitaminA show.

Feb 21, 2013 12:39 PM

Oct 2011
Shaduge said:

I'm laughing so hard omg
Feb 21, 2013 12:48 PM

Dec 2012
jmal said:
Dusk252 said:
Ammish said:
The first volume:

That number is a bit old, Psycho-Pas Vol. 1 is now up to 9,503 after 9 weeks. second volume is up to 8,783 after four. So it's doing very solidly.

Character design is probably an initial turn-off. But thankfully, people do recognize a good show when they see it :)
Feb 21, 2013 12:52 PM

Oct 2012
I just saw the episode and since i'm a fan of the story, I did not really notice much except 2-3 really bad scenes ^^.

Still a great episode!
Feb 21, 2013 1:43 PM
Jul 2012
Natsu12345 said:
katenosh said:
Saudades said:

W-who.. is that.. -.-
parfaited said:

LOL!

Lmao that art looks like a 10 year old draw like that.
Feb 21, 2013 1:55 PM

Aug 2010
ThangLong said:
Sorayin said:

Maybe because we are used to 'Moe' faces xD. But seriously, did you forget Akane's friend?!
I think the women's faces are fine, some are better than others, just like the real world.

Akane's friend was hot!
Feb 21, 2013 2:45 PM

Jan 2013
first glimpse of QUALITY
Feb 21, 2013 2:47 PM
Jul 2012
katenosh said:
first glimpse of QUALITY

Dat face lol
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

15 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 1:39 AM

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Apr 14, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

23 by infanf »»
Apr 12, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.