Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

should i watch should i watch a certain scientific railgun or a certain magical index first?

A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 20, 2013 7:53 PM
Dec 2012
i didn't know " a certain magical index" was released before "a certain scientific railgun" and i already watched the first 4 eps of a certain specific railgun. i am wondering if i should stop and watch a certain magical index first or if its okay to finish a certain specific rail gun first and then watch the two index series.
Feb 20, 2013 7:53 PM

Aug 2011
Watch Index first.

Feb 20, 2013 7:59 PM

Jan 2010
i think either 1 is ok since i watch railgun 1st
Feb 20, 2013 8:07 PM

May 2008
I did the very same thing man, a friend told me I should have watched Index first but it wasn't necessary to. So, I just went ahead and finished Railgun and then watched Index.

I'd say since your already 4 episodes in to just resume Railgun. You won't miss out on anything really...
Feb 20, 2013 8:13 PM
Jul 2012
Railgun sucks due to lack of Touma and Index sucks because of Index
Feb 20, 2013 8:27 PM
May 2012
JavierR said:
Railgun sucks due to lack of Touma and Index sucks because of Index
Omg this. Index pissed me off LOL.

Anyway, it's fine to watch either first. You're not going to be confused if you start Railgun first or index either way, as it's pretty much explained in both.
AestherFeb 20, 2013 8:32 PM
Feb 20, 2013 8:30 PM

Jun 2012
Just forget about Index OP. Pretend like it doesn't exist.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 20, 2013 8:32 PM

Nov 2008
Index -> Railgun -> Index II -> Railgun II

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Feb 20, 2013 8:40 PM
Jul 2012
The touma hate makes me upset.
Feb 20, 2013 8:42 PM

Nov 2008
JavierR said:
If only he just cut the speeches and punch everyone he thinks is evil, he would be perfect. So I don't blame them for hating.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Feb 20, 2013 8:42 PM

Jun 2009
JavierR said:

Well, I mean you really haven't specified why you like him. Aside from how he punches Nun's and all, which is cool, but pardon me for thinking it takes more than that to make a great character.

DenjaX said:
JavierR said:
If only he just cut the speeches and punch everyone he thinks is evil, he would be perfect. So I don't blame them for hating.

Cutting the half episode long speeches would certainly help but it wouldn't make him perfect. The problem I have with him is that we really don't get a feel for why he helps people and fights. He just does and, imo, that's pretty boring. Maybe if he was written a little better.
Ston3_FreeN7Feb 20, 2013 8:46 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 20, 2013 8:48 PM
Jul 2012
The speeches is what makes him epic. Touma is what every guy should strive to be.

and Mileena u hatin and u kno it. He already got Mikoto wifed up.
Feb 20, 2013 8:48 PM

Jun 2009
I do want to check out the LN sometime. I have a feeling that it's just a bit of adaptation decay alah pretty much everything JC Staff does recently.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 20, 2013 8:51 PM
Jul 2012
insan3soldiern said:
I do want to check out the LN sometime. I have a feeling that it's just a bit of adaptation decay alah pretty much everything JC Staff does recently.

I haven't read it but, you would probably get your answer if you read it because JC butchering it (so ive heard) and the inside the characters head thing.
Feb 20, 2013 8:53 PM

Jun 2012
The stories aren't even connected, so it doesn't matter what you watch first.

I just say follow everyone and watch railgun first because it's totally not on my favorites list. Season 2 for Railgun is coming this spring anyways, so you can even ditch Index once you finish railgun(which you should).
Feb 20, 2013 8:56 PM

Jun 2009
JavierR said:
The speeches is what makes him epic. Touma is what every guy should strive to be.

You ever read Fate/stay night? I know Emiya Shirou gets a lot of (deserved) hate for his anime depiction, but I think he's just a much better example of this kind of selfless hero that Touma is portrayed as in the Index anime. He's got a reason for his actions, the VN goes out of it's way to rightly show how foolish he is, and yet his character ends up all the stronger for this.

I hope I didn't open up a can of worms here....

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 20, 2013 8:59 PM
May 2012
insan3soldiern said:
JavierR said:

You ever read Fate/stay night? I know Emiya Shirou gets a lot of (deserved) hate for his anime depiction, but I think he's just a much better example of this kind of selfless hero that Touma is portrayed as in the Index anime. He's got a reason for his actions, the VN goes out of it's way to rightly show how foolish he is, and yet his character ends up all the stronger for this.

Emiya Shirou is possibly the worst MC since thug days.
Feb 20, 2013 9:00 PM
Jul 2012
insan3soldiern said:
JavierR said:

No you're fine, I did read the VN and I hate shirou a lot less than I did at the beginning of the VN. Touma and Shirou share similar characteristics, and I'm only being half serious with what i'm saying. I do like Touma and his speeches don't get me wrong. I haven't read the Light Novel but I feel if you did, they may shed some light on what you don't like about his character.
Feb 20, 2013 9:15 PM
Dec 2012
Taku33 said:
The stories aren't even connected, so it doesn't matter what you watch first.

I just say follow everyone and watch railgun first because it's totally not on my favorites list. Season 2 for Railgun is coming this spring anyways, so you can even ditch Index once you finish railgun(which you should).

lol i haad to check your favorites list after u said that :p, so what im getting out of this is railgun is allot better than index?
Feb 20, 2013 10:23 PM

Aug 2012
Index has the cooler story than Railgun so watch Railgun first.
Jun 20, 2014 6:32 PM
Jun 2014
Watch the First Season of Railgun. Watch the First season of index with 2nd season of Railgun (ep. 1 railgun, ep. 1 index, and so forth. Then finish off by watching the 2nd season of Index.

Hope this helped :P
Jun 20, 2014 8:08 PM

Mar 2014
Okay here's the order:
-Index
-Railgun
-Railgun S
-Index II

And you should be set. xD
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Feb 26, 2015 3:17 AM
Feb 2015
I suggest watching the first half of index first then watch the hole of Railgun and then finish Index. The first season of Railgun Is based before the sisters which means it's probably set around the time of the first half of Index.

If you need any help with the second seasons just watch the first half Index 2 then the first half of Railgun s and then so on.
Feb 26, 2015 3:28 AM

Nov 2014
Railgun S was the best out of all the Toaru.

Go finish Railgun first.

Feb 26, 2015 2:43 PM

Apr 2014
Touma is a great MC. Not best, but still close to the top of my list
Misaka is fucking kawaii at times
Index is mostly a total bitch, but can add to humour at times. Also has her moments.

Both series were good BUT...

Railgun = all female cast = shit

So Index>Railgun

Also my opinion = fact
fact>your opinion
your opinion>shit
shit>whatever that bitch of a lesbian that ended up as Misaka's roommate is called
if you run you get faster to your location

have a nice day
- FALL3RE
Feb 27, 2015 5:57 AM

Apr 2010
Thread moved and cleaned

Thread moved to the Toaru Majutsu no Index board.
Spam and derailment posts removed, the user asked which anime to watch first not which anime or character is better.

Personally i watched Railgun first but the order is Index first.
It doesn't really matter tho since time wise they overlap each other and there are events and scenes that happen in both anime.
It's just told from a different perspective and the view of a different character.
Oct 7, 2015 7:54 PM
Jul 2015
as long as you don't start on a certain scientific rail gun s
Nov 28, 2015 11:14 PM
Feb 2013
insan3Bhaalspawn said:
JavierR said:

I sincerely hope the "Can of Worms" thing was an intentional reference.

(Worm girl is worst girl)
Jan 30, 2016 7:02 PM
Jan 2016
I enjoyed Railgun more, but the main protagonist of Index is much more interesting
Feb 2, 2016 3:13 AM
Nov 2014
While i perfer misaka over touma,go for index.
Feb 2, 2016 3:31 AM

Apr 2011
Watch in release date order:

Index I
Railgun I
Index II
Railgun II
Feb 26, 2016 6:40 PM
Feb 2016
Why so much touma hate does a guy need a reason to do anything?
Aug 28, 2016 10:48 AM

Jan 2014
DenjaX said:
Valaskjalf said:

Index I
Railgun I
Index II
Railgun II

is that also a Chronological Order?

or should I watch Index I -> Index II -> Railgun I -> Railgun II to get a chronological timeline?
Aug 28, 2016 11:18 AM

Apr 2011
Abyhape said:
DenjaX said:
Valaskjalf said:

Index I
Railgun I
Index II
Railgun II

is that also a Chronological Order?

or should I watch Index I -> Index II -> Railgun I -> Railgun II to get a chronological timeline?

Index and Railgun happen in parallel for the most part

More topics from this board

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

279 by R2Doucebag »»
Mar 27, 8:18 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

AkariChan - Feb 5, 2009

155 by 8iman »»
Jan 14, 3:53 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 29, 2008

205 by DebiPS »»
Jan 11, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Index - probably the most annoying character ever. ( 1 2 )

Rodaa - Jan 24, 2014

74 by Kayfee »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.