MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for February 11 - 17
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for February 11 - 17

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
02-19-13, 9:08 AM

Mary_Vanucchi said:
If I remember well, EVOL first volume sold around 8k and the final volumes dropped a bit, so I thought that was because of the plottwists that, according to some fans, were a bit contradictory compared to the revelations from Sousei. I saw a lot of rage from Aquarion fanbase towards EVOL when the last episodes were airing.

It did drop from the first two volumes, but they also had event ticket applications and Vol. 1 was slightly cheaper. below is each volume and the number of weeks of data we have:

Vol. 1: 9,638 (2wk+monthly) ← event ticket
Vol. 2: 7,830 (2wk) ← event ticket
Vol. 3: 6,571 (1wk)
Vol. 4: 6,439 (1wk+monthly)
Vol. 5: 5,734 (1wk)
Vol. 6: 5,220 (1wk)
Vol. 7: 5,337 (2wk)
Vol. 8: 4,933 (1wk)
Vol. 9: 5,509 (2wk)

Dropoff was pretty industry standard after the event tickets ended, so it's not clear there was any massive backlash, at least among the people who were buying it. The event ticket effect was just a fairly large one.
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/

02-19-13, 9:09 AM

Mary_Vanucchi said:
I'm kinda sad for that, it could sell way more - EVOL is f**king glorious campy stuff. I guess is just what happens when you piss off the fanbase of the original series (I still need to watch Sousei no Aquarion to understand what was the big deal with EVOL plottwists), but I'm not sure.

I wonder if showing up in a Super Robot Wars game would give EVOL a nice sales boost. It probably won't happen this year, though.

symbv said:
For the coming week, the competition is going to be extremely brutal. This is a partial list of discs that will be released this week and I think it should cover all the titles that are remotely likely to chart:

GirlPan v2
JoJo v2

Funny how the two frontrunners of Fall 2012 are releasing volume 2 on the same day.

I wonder if GuP Vol 2 is going to outrun its logistics train have supply issues like the last one. It'll do well in the long run, though. Episode 3 is when the series truly starts to rock.

02-19-13, 9:15 AM

jmal said:
Mary_Vanucchi said:
If I remember well, EVOL first volume sold around 8k and the final volumes dropped a bit, so I thought that was because of the plottwists that, according to some fans, were a bit contradictory compared to the revelations from Sousei. I saw a lot of rage from Aquarion fanbase towards EVOL when the last episodes were airing.

It did drop from the first two volumes, but they also had event ticket applications and Vol. 1 was slightly cheaper. below is each volume and the number of weeks of data we have:

Vol. 1: 9,638 (2wk+monthly) ← event ticket
Vol. 2: 7,830 (2wk) ← event ticket
Vol. 3: 6,571 (1wk)
Vol. 4: 6,439 (1wk+monthly)
Vol. 5: 5,734 (1wk)
Vol. 6: 5,220 (1wk)
Vol. 7: 5,337 (2wk)
Vol. 8: 4,933 (1wk)
Vol. 9: 5,509 (2wk)

Dropoff was pretty industry standard after the event tickets ended, so it's not clear there was any massive backlash, at least among the people who were buying it. The event ticket effect was just a fairly large one.

Thanks for the info. Vol. 1 sales were bigger than I thought.

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."

02-19-13, 11:12 AM

It's nice to see good shows toping the BD ranking for a change.
Modified by VioLink, 02-19-13, 11:16 AM

02-19-13, 12:27 PM

Go Jojo! Hope all of the parts get animated, I'm still curious if they will be doing part 3 or not...

As for GnP... I don't understand the appeal of that show, but yeah I'm not a Japanese Otaku, I guess they make good material for body pillows or w.e

02-19-13, 12:40 PM

Why Shinsekai Yori is almost last? :( No wonder there is so much shitty anime if great anime is not selling well :(

02-19-13, 12:50 PM

Iwans18 said:
Why Shinsekai Yori is almost last? :( No wonder there is so much shitty anime if great anime is not selling well :(

Are you importing it? I am but apparently I am not a good bellwether as I am importing the biggest hit and the biggest bomb... What can I say but I import what I like, not what I think needs the help or that will be popular. My list of fall imports:

Not out yet: Teekyuu

*1, 28,194 Girls und Panzer
*7, 11,609 Little Busters!
13, *3,649 Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
15, *2,494 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
23, **,528 Shinsekai yori (vol.2)
25, **,345 Btooom! (vol.3)

Out of the rankings
Sukitte Ii na yo.
Modified by hpulley, 02-19-13, 12:54 PM

02-19-13, 1:27 PM

It's a bit difficult to import anime at Japan prices when you've been out of work for the last 5 months and haven't even been able to get unemployment benefits most of that time due to technicalities. I haven't even done any manga/LN orders from Japan either since early December last year.

I wish I could but I honestly can't afford it. Not that I'd be buying SSY yet anyway, or that my purchases would count towards the rankings - I would want to wait until the entire series was out before buying it.
Best selling Light Novel volumes of 2014/all time*.
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.

02-19-13, 1:34 PM

No worries, it is expensive for sure. Maybe you can get a boxed set one day. Strange but volume 4 is out of stock. Hopefully my preorder is in the box already... But it is waiting for GuP v2 and Teekyuu which should ship tomorrow... I almost split the order but didn't want to spend another ¥2000 on a yet another box...

02-19-13, 1:40 PM

Code Geass is still on top, I see.

02-19-13, 3:35 PM

Lol. Once again, Panzers are ruling the rankings for Autumn :)

Shin Sekai Yori T.T Its barely selling. It's the most underrated anime of all :(

02-19-13, 4:46 PM

hpulley said:
Iwans18 said:

Are you importing it? I am but apparently I am not a good bellwether as I am importing the biggest hit and the biggest bomb... What can I say but I import what I like, not what I think needs the help or that will be popular. My list of fall imports:

Not out yet: Teekyuu

*1, 28,194 Girls und Panzer
*7, 11,609 Little Busters!
13, *3,649 Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
15, *2,494 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
23, **,528 Shinsekai yori (vol.2)
25, **,345 Btooom! (vol.3)

Out of the rankings
Sukitte Ii na yo.

@hpulley

I see your point really and cannot say its actually wrong BUT... we get you love import, but taking advantage of any chance to effectively show off to everyone lacks consideration and looks arrogant.

Not every anime fan outside of Japan has the means to import for x reason, for instance the most important not everyone has as much money --as you apparently-- to import, or in their country its so much trouble or the taxes for it double or even triple the actual product cost, making it an option out of the reach of most people.

Second the data here comes mainly from Japanese consumers for evident reasons, so its safe to assume imports (exports within Japan) play a minuscule role in this data.

Button line is dont judge harshly people that dont import like you do. If everyone had the possibility of supporting anime worldwide directly and effortlessly then yes, your question of "are you buying, importing, supporting" would be unquestionable, that or if we all had the monetary means to import. Many fans have to wait for licensing deals and for USA and Canada mainly, and some European countries sometimes, outside of those regions that is not even an option.

Also many people here have pointed out time and time again that foreign fans importing or buying in their local markets, or paying for streams, contribute little to the anime industry where it matters; Japan, so there's really nothing wrong with analyzing and criticizing if you wish, Japanese data and Japanese consumers behavior at all.

02-19-13, 4:48 PM

Not trying to show off at all there, really! Sorry it comes across that way. I was trying to show that I'm not really importing what is popular is all... but I am also trying to show that it is not just Japanese consumers.

Ah well, I should really be reading instead of posting here anyways. Will see if I can control myself... see you around or maybe not... oh who am I kidding? Will try to ease off though. Sorry again.
Modified by hpulley, 02-19-13, 5:03 PM

02-19-13, 5:02 PM

hpulley said:
Not trying to show off at all there, really! Sorry it comes across that way. I was trying to show that I'm not really importing what is popular is all... but I am also trying to show that it is not just Japanese consumers.

Ah well, I should really be reading instead of posting here anyways. Will see if I can control myself... see you around or maybe not... oh who am I kidding? Will try to ease off though. Sorry again.

Nah, sorry, do tell what you import by all means, what I meant is remember not everyone has the same possibilities you have when you directly question people if they import, importing is really out of the possibility of most worldwide fans.
Modified by 9988, 02-19-13, 5:19 PM

02-19-13, 5:05 PM

Just wish a few more people wishing their favorite anime had more sales... had contributed to those sales, that's all. My dream is if more of us bought then ... they would make more anime like that. Might be impossible when we are not even 1%, except sadly for Sukitte Ii Na Yo where for all I know we are most of the buys... as I know of another 2-3 importers buying that one.

02-19-13, 5:13 PM

hpulley said:
Just wish a few more people wishing their favorite anime had more sales... had contributed to those sales, that's all. My dream is if more of us bought then ... they would make more anime like that. Might be impossible when we are not even 1%, except sadly for Sukitte Ii Na Yo where for all I know we are most of the buys... as I know of another 2-3 importers buying that one.

I agree, but the issue is importing is the most expensive and least friendly option to support anime (games/manga,etc), not mentioning not many know enough japanese since its only a handful of japanese releases that include at least subtitles,

If you speak to non Canada-USA people you will see it goes even more expensive, ask latin american fans, huge anime lovers, and you will see that to import one or two titles (or 1 or 3 vols., series in japan usually go 6-9) at most its the equivalent to one month salary! Even people in first world countries like USA often speak of how expensive it is to import, now imagine the situation of many other fans outside NA or non-first world countries...

My ideal would be that fans worldwide had the means to contribute directly with direct and easy access to purchase media, sadly its an innovation that the industry does not want to take as it would be go digital (as physically it would be almost impossible) and even prices, but we all know the industry does not want to liberate their basically hostage Japanese consumers used to pay high prices.

Imports are not the solution for non-japanese fans to contribute, you are almost pulling an Marie-Antoinette´s, if they cannot afford bread let them have cake...

Also it is the industry that needs to appeal to the fans and make them want to purchase AND with ease not the the fan reach to the industry. I fail to understand how many of you feel like the industry is doing you(us) as favor when its the other way around. So its the industry that needs to make available their stuff to fans to purchase, if they do little to reach to everyone or care only for some countries you can hardly blame those that dont contribute as they need first to be able to do so in the first place, only then they can be blamed. Even the second most "important" maket for anime (the US) gets a tiny selection of anime.

Out of topic so I will stop here.
Modified by 9988, 02-19-13, 6:53 PM

02-19-13, 5:20 PM
Forum Moderator
symbv said:
RyanSaotome said:
Common sense. Anyone can tell that the budget for Sakurasou is far higher.
In what way? Many said the awesome animation in Nobuna must mean it uses a very big budget, but it turned out that in number of cuts and more expensive key animation drawings, it uses fewer number than even Saki Achiga-hen. So unless you provide some good evidence why Sakurasou has "far higher" budget than Little Busters, just saying it is common sense just does not cut it, I am afraid. And bear in mind that animation quality difference does not always translate proportionally to budget difference. (then there is the question of whether Little Busters really has "some of the worst" animation among all >30 series running in this season, which is of course debatable)

Anyone that isn't blind in both eyes could see that Sakurasou has a way higher budget than Little Busters! If you're unable to see that I feel sorry for you.

Just by looking @ Both shows I can see that sakurasou as better Background animation quality, better character drawing qualities and doesn't stand around in a frame for over 6 seconds every 10+ each episode for something pointless. Little Busters! has had many screw ups, and if you watched the show you would notice.

And if it doesn't have a higher budget than the animators need to go back to school. http://myanimelist.net/people/10678/Iizuka_Haruko pretty sure she could of done better, judging by some of her past work.
Modified by Tyrel, 02-19-13, 5:27 PM

02-19-13, 7:51 PM

RyanSaotome said:
I'm watching over 30 current shows, so I'm pretty confident in saying it has some of the worst animation of any of those shows. (Well, of any that actually try so I'm not counting flash stuff like Osaka Mama)
Well from over 30 current shows I am watching I do not see how Little Busters have really "some of the worst" animation. Perhaps it is not moving as much as, say, Vividred but it is not worse than GJ-bu or Shinsekai Yori for example. And do we see any out-of-character bad animation like in Total Eclipse? No, but then Total Eclipse did not do very badly, did it?

RyanSaotome said:
And you can try to defend it all you want, but the animation quality is probably the biggest issue with Little Busters...
It seems it is only your own speculation. From what I read in Japanese forums, the animation is far from a major issue for fans. Story, adaptation choices, and series composition got far more complaints.

RyanSaotome said:
if it had more budget, it could have truly been something special. Theres more than enough examples of crappy budget like the 2 frames of animation when Rin was playing with cats early on, to quite a few times when characters don't even blink for long periods of time while talking. But just half assing it since they knew it would sell regardless is what happened.
Tyrel said:
Anyone that isn't blind in both eyes could see that Sakurasou has a way higher budget than Little Busters! If you're unable to see that I feel sorry for you.
Well, my point, again, is Perceived Animation Quality difference does not necessarily translate into Budget difference. You two commit the common mistake of confusing perceived animation density with budget. But as my example of Nobuna vs Saki Achiga-hen shows, better perceived animation quality does not mean more money being spent. The truth is we don't know the inner workings of an anime production enough or details of anime production process to judge how much budget an anime has based purely on how well we perceive the animation quality. You can argue that a certain anime has better perceived animation quality all you like (as it is your perception), but this is no basis for you to jump to conclusion that the budget is thus necessarily bigger for the anime project (and the budget has to go to pay for a lot of things other than animators' bill anyway). As much as I agree the animation in Sakuraso looks fresher and more pleasing, I would not jump to conclusion that it means Sakurao has a bigger budget, much less "a much bigger" budget as you are claiming.

Modified by symbv, 02-19-13, 8:18 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

02-19-13, 7:59 PM

I wish Psycho Pass would do a little better, though at least it's in the middle and not at the bottom.

02-19-13, 8:03 PM

Smybv, if all you want is for us to give you documentation of how much each company budgeted for their anime, we obviously won't be doing that. Making educated guesses is the best we can do, and my educated guess is that Little Busters was done on a shoestring budget since Warner Brothers thought its name recognition was enough to sell it. Hell, they were upset it wasn't selling more even with the little budget it had, so I think they were just thinking that Key fans were diehards who'd buy anything regardless of how much money they spent on it.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices