Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jun 9, 2013 11:20 AM

Mar 2013
I'm fairy sure there are some people who agree with OP's opinion, even though I'm not among them. FMA Brotherhood is one of the few animes that should be watched by everyone.
My Anime List
My Manga List

Now Playing: Final Fantasy IX
Jun 10, 2013 4:14 AM
Nov 2008
"Am I the only one...?"
No, you are not a unique and beautiful butterfly.
But in this case you are probably part of an extreme minority.
Jun 10, 2013 4:19 AM

Jan 2013
panndemic said:
I'm fairy sure there are some people who agree with OP's opinion, even though I'm not among them. FMA Brotherhood is one of the few animes that should be watched by everyone.

Fullmetal Alchemist is over rated.

Fullmetal Necromancer is much better.
Jun 12, 2013 2:07 AM

Apr 2013
Liked the original anime more
Jun 14, 2013 10:56 PM

Aug 2009
yes
Jun 18, 2013 10:16 AM

Sep 2009
I think that it is overrated: they had a really strong base story and characters and did not fully use it. Some moments were slow : Briggs arc was useless.
Jun 18, 2013 2:29 PM

Mar 2013
Hisio said:
I think that it is overrated: they had a really strong base story and characters and did not fully use it. Some moments were slow : Briggs arc was useless.

I really don't know what the hell are you talking about. The Briggs arc came at the perfect moment, and it was absolutely necessary. How would they attack Central if it weren't for Briggs's soldiers? And the arc itself was very entertaining, introducing interesting new characters like General Major Armstrong, Buccaneer and Sloth. And Kimblee & Raven acting as agents of the Fuhrer was also pretty goddamn awesome.
Jun 20, 2013 2:01 PM

Apr 2007
yes your the only one. shitty topic shitty question Im sorry
Jun 23, 2013 6:49 PM

Oct 2012
Hisio said:

While I wouldn't consider the Briggs arc useless, I could understand what you mean about that arc feeling slow. That arc unfolds the plot slowly to keep the viewers in suspense, while the two arcs bordering it moves the plot in a quick and bombastic fashion.
Aug 3, 2013 3:18 AM

Nov 2010
Not at all,Fmab totally deserves all the praise and attention it gets.
Aug 3, 2013 3:58 AM
Feb 2013
I just watched all the episodes now. I agree that this is a very good anime, but its highly overrated, well, the most overrated anime in my opinion. This 9,22 rating is silly, and it's all bcse of the 12-15 year old boys rate this to 10.
Btw good anime, just overrated as hell.
Aug 3, 2013 6:58 AM
Sep 2012
Gamelord said:
I just watched all the episodes now. I agree that this is a very good anime, but its highly overrated, well, the most overrated anime in my opinion. This 9,22 rating is silly, and it's all bcse of the 12-15 year old boys rate this to 10.
Btw good anime, just overrated as hell.

And 15+ yo people who still have that childish mind that craves shonen.
Aug 3, 2013 7:00 AM

Nov 2010
Gamelord said:
, and it's all bcse of the 12-15 year old boys rate this to 10..

Completely ludicrious statement.
The_Nut_CrackerAug 3, 2013 7:12 AM
Aug 3, 2013 8:42 AM

May 2012
I don't know, I like it when i watched it but it didn't give an expression like "i want more"..

Aug 3, 2013 11:46 AM
Feb 2013
Dark_Messiah said:
I don't know, I like it when i watched it but it didn't give an expression like "i want more"..

Thats what happened with me too. I finished it, it was good, but it wasn't touching, i didn't want more. All the high rated animes i watched was like: more, more, i want more. I cannot see this anime as rank 1, so for me, it's defenetly overrated. It has good animation, good story, everything is good, but its has nothing special for me.
Jul 28, 2014 5:35 PM
Apr 2013
The only post I found truthful regarding this anime...
Jul 28, 2014 5:43 PM

Jun 2014
This is a good anime, I rated it 9 bcuz of the good story (despite of some flaws). But imo Naruto and HxH is much enjoyable series so I wont put it on my top 15-20.
Jul 29, 2014 11:37 AM

Dec 2007
Not sure who shot this up, but I refuse to have one of the best shonen series ever created criticized by a guy with a fucking Lelouch avatar. :P
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Jul 29, 2014 11:40 AM

Apr 2014
This is the one anime I was sure nobody would dislike. Seems I was wrong.

Jul 29, 2014 2:13 PM

Jan 2010
I do not dislike this anime, but I prefer the old FMA over this. I did not like them toning down the seriousness of situations with light humor injected in between.
Jul 31, 2014 10:10 AM

Feb 2014
jonnyhan said:
I do not dislike this anime, but I prefer the old FMA over this. I did not like them toning down the seriousness of situations with light humor injected in between.

Ah, the humor in this show. Leave it to Brotherhood to ruin what could have been perfectly good emotional moments by shoving a bunch of chibi sight gags in them because that's how it was in teh manga.
I don't think the show is bad or entirely unwatchable (even though it has horrible pacing and the 20 or so episodes in the middle drag on forever), but a rating of 9.23 is what made me lose faith in MAL's top anime list. Seriously, according to MAL this is supposed to be the best anime has to offer?
Aug 2, 2014 9:31 AM
May 2014
You not alone!
Sturgeon's law : 90% of Everything is Crap
Aug 2, 2014 9:58 AM

Jun 2010
It's great as a shonen battle type anime and nothing else. Most of the people on this site are shonen lovers and that's why it's rated so high. Why do you think something as pointless as Fairy Tail is in the 80s ratings
Aug 4, 2014 3:09 PM

Mar 2012
I honestly don't know why people make these kind of threads on a place like MAL.
The only thing these troll-bait threads are good for is attracting haters, one-line spammers, and holier than thou-snarky smartasses
Aug 19, 2014 2:02 PM

Sep 2012
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is good, but it is overrated. I personally preferred the 2003 FMA, so to see FMA:B finally top it on the "Most Popular" list on this site makes me a little bit sad.
Aug 25, 2014 9:41 PM

Dec 2008
Vhailor said:
jonnyhan said:

Ah, the humor in this show. Leave it to Brotherhood to ruin what could have been perfectly good emotional moments by shoving a bunch of chibi sight gags in them because that's how it was in teh manga.
I don't think the show is bad or entirely unwatchable (even though it has horrible pacing and the 20 or so episodes in the middle drag on forever), but a rating of 9.23 is what made me lose faith in MAL's top anime list. Seriously, according to MAL this is supposed to be the best anime has to offer?

According to MAL this is supposed to be the anime that most users like.
Aug 25, 2014 9:44 PM

Jan 2014
I always say this: out of the typical, formula-bound shonen like one piece, Naruto and the like,

BH is the very best.

But compared to other shonen, and anime in general, that focus on story, it's weak.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2014 12:38 PM

Mar 2012
I don't see how that's possible considering its rank and score.
Aug 31, 2014 3:56 PM

Jul 2012
I liked FMA:B but I don't love it at all, nor does it have any emotional impact on me. I wouldn't consider any of the characters as a favourite. The story and plot however, were complex and very well written which is why I think it deserves the number 1 spot.

Wyzdm said:
It's a pretty awesome show and I can understand why it's rated number 1 even though it's not my favorite anime.

^
Aug 31, 2014 4:01 PM

Oct 2013
Broeksnoek said:
This is the one anime I was sure nobody would dislike. Seems I was wrong.

There's no anime that is liked by everyone. But fmab is liked by most and that should be a good enough reason why it's #1
Aug 31, 2014 4:10 PM

Mar 2012

There's no anime that is liked by everyone. But fmab is liked by most and that should be a good enough reason why it's #1

'was' #1.
Aug 31, 2014 6:12 PM

Oct 2013
jonnyhan said:

I love FMA:B. It's deep, complex, philosophical, has pretty much the best cast of characters I've ever seen.

... but man do I agree with that. The early episodes in particular were practically criminal with how much they ruined dramatic moments with hackneyed humor. I remember the same situations being depicted in FMA 03 much more dramatically and seriously.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 31, 2014 7:31 PM

Jul 2014
ZaldiuntheGerman said:
jonnyhan said:

I love FMA:B. It's deep, complex, philosophical, has pretty much the best cast of characters I've ever seen.

... but man do I agree with that. The early episodes in particular were practically criminal with how much they ruined dramatic moments with hackneyed humor. I remember the same situations being depicted in FMA 03 much more dramatically and seriously.

While FMA:B had more comedic relief, it took dramatic moments just as seriously as in the original. Take Hughes' death or Winrey confronting Scar for example. Its only when say a fight is taking place that humor is injected. Otherwise most of the comedy takes place when the characters are interacting with one another. I would even argue that the original was unnecessarily melodramatic.
Aug 31, 2014 10:31 PM

Apr 2014
I agree.
I mean, FMA is super great and all but... number 1? Nah.
Sep 1, 2014 12:20 AM

Oct 2013
za21 said:
ZaldiuntheGerman said:

While FMA:B had more comedic relief, it took dramatic moments just as seriously as in the original. Take Hughes' death or Winrey confronting Scar for example. Its only when say a fight is taking place that humor is injected. Otherwise most of the comedy takes place when the characters are interacting with one another. I would even argue that the original was unnecessarily melodramatic.

negative. My recollection of either series is hazy since it's been a year since I last watched them, but one particular moment I found the haphazard humor of FMA:B irritating was when Izumi would start coughing up blood. FMA 03 treated this revelation seriously whereas FMA:B injected "chibi sight gags" and ruined the atmosphere of it.

But it was mostly during the recap episodes this was particularly bad. I thought the first 30 episodes or so had a little too much comedic relief, but it didn't appear quite as haphazard as it did during the first 15 at least.

RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 1, 2014 5:34 AM

Nov 2012
No, you are not the only one.

You just have to remember that you are not allowed to have your own opinion on MAL or else 1). Your list is shit, 2)or just Full blown insulting you. That's what it's like on MAL.

Anyways, yes people, this is considered a discussion. An exchange of different views. He doesn't like FMA:B, while everyone else does. He can explain why, and you guys can explain why.

But no.

Everyone is too childish for that, so we resort to using insults and cuss words instead of trying to have a peaceful discussion on why so and so doesn't like FMA:B.

TBH, I watched both FMA's when they aired. I barely remember a single thing from either of them. Now I don't know if that is saying something or not. Because I can remember details from shows/games/books that I haven't enjoyed in YEARS. Example: I can recite the opening to the second Fable game and remember which scenes lead to which, but I can't remember what happened in FMA:B episode 13. And no, it's not selective memory.

So no, you are not alone.
"Hey, assbutt!"—Castiel, Supernatural

"Do you ever have a problem where you just don't know how to reply to an argument-- not because you don't know the answer, but you just don't where to begin? Like, the foundation of knowledge you'd need to impart to this person before you could even begin to drag them out of their sinkhole of ignorance would cost thousands of dollars, if it were coming from a University?" -MAL in a nutshell.
Sep 2, 2014 2:26 PM

Jun 2013
It's rated so high because there's a lot to enjoy without much to piss people off. It's a good anime, one of the better ones, but not the best.
-$0.02
Sep 2, 2014 10:17 PM

Apr 2011
I'd rather have FMAB over Steins;Gate, aka the real overrated show, as number 1 anyday.
Sep 2, 2014 10:22 PM

Aug 2014
Valaskjalf said:
I'd rather have FMAB over Steins;Gate, aka the real overrated show, as number 1 anyday.
Sep 2, 2014 10:29 PM

Jan 2013
NeoAnkara said:
Once again people failed to see there is exist something called opinion.

This , I like FMA but people not everybody thinks alike please listen to each other's opinion or people will start calling you a douche
Don't worry I got this one.

Sep 4, 2014 2:16 PM

Dec 2013
I don't think that it's overrated or underrated. Personally, it's one of my favorite shows, with a brilliantly structured plot, interesting characters and antagonists, action, and comedy. It's okay if someone doesn't like it.
Sep 5, 2014 8:02 AM
Nov 2013
I think it deserves all the praise and this show is perfect in everything so that's why it's number 1 in this site.
Sep 9, 2014 1:10 PM

Aug 2013
ecimir said:
It was interesting at the beginning, had some great mysteries and relations to be solved but it disappointed me a lot. More than half of characters I found childish and annoying or simply uninteresting.
After 20 episodes I guessed correct about 90 percent what will happen next so I was often bored. In my opinion its way overrated and doesn't deserve to be in at least top 30.

Pretty much exactly how I feel about it too. The characters are not all that great. I hardly even remember most of their personalities other than the badly timed jokes about Ed(is that his name?)'s height -.-

Yes it's pretty generic shounen compared to a masterpiece like Hunter x Hunter 2011. I admit it does pull of a few of the darker themes but those few good moments are not nearly enough to justify the absurd rating on MAL.

It saddens me so much that this is not only the highest rated shounen, it's the highest rated anime. And it's so far ahead of Steins; Gate and Clannad After Story. I could understand if it was maybe just 9.19 score and switched between 2nd and 1st at least with Steins;Gate. Though imo it should not be in the top 30 even.
If there has to be a shounen at #1 is should be Hunter x Hunter 2011.
Sep 9, 2014 1:12 PM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Yes you are the only one on this site that has an opposite opinion about a popular and highly rated anime on this site. Any more questions?

yes
Sep 10, 2014 5:04 AM

Oct 2013
While I can somewhat see how someone could consider FMA overrated, I don't understand how they couldn't at least find something to enjoy the characters. From my experience, FMA has the most memorable and, overall, well developed cast of characters of any anime I've watched, ESPECIALLY for a shounen. There aren't really any character tropes to be found here, most of the characters are fairly unique, and a lot of them are just plainly awesome.

I'd see FMA:B being criticized for its pretentious plot, trying to do too much, or toying around with "darker" themes without actually devoting itself to them (something FMA 03 did far better, IMO). I'd disagree with all those things, but I can definitely see where that opinion comes from. But criticizing the series for its characters? Weird.

RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 12, 2014 9:35 AM
Sep 2014
Extremly overrated this show.
Sep 12, 2014 2:37 PM

Apr 2014
It's totally one of the best animes I've seen but uh yeah, I haven't seen too many... Still I think it's a very interesting show and for probably the first time in my life, there is not a single character that really pisses me off or make me cringe. There are a hella lot of overrated shows out there but I don't agree that FMAB is one of them.
Sep 14, 2014 4:41 AM

Oct 2013
lalabella said:
there is not a single character that really pisses me off

How does Pride not piss you off? Little wanker made me want to commit child abuse on him for most his screen time.

RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 20, 2014 12:08 PM

Oct 2013
FMAB was great but imo not the best. It was as good as shounen gets I suppose and didn't leave much to hate about it which explains the high rating it got. Ed and Alphonse were boring main characters compared to the whole host of much more interesting side characters. The side characters were definitely the show's biggest strength as none of them fell under an archetype. Might have been better if there was a different main character.

I found it weird how they started 10 ep arcs on the slightest of whims such as 'seeing their master for training' or 'finding out how to use eastern alchemy' and then their goal is promptly forgotten. In the end of arcs they never accomplish what they first set out to do. Not to mention that Ed and Al barely grew in the series, they were basically the same as they were at ep 1. Also the main plot of the anime was given away really early in the series which killed a lot of the tension and made it predictable. These were some of my main gripes with the anime that doesn't make it number 1 for me but it's definitely one of the better animes I've seen.
Sep 20, 2014 8:32 PM

Feb 2013
I wouldn't say Brotherhood is bad, but I would agree to it being over-rated. Being #1 on all of MAL though, that's just wayyy over-rated. Fullmetal Alchemist as a whole is good, but this version was terribly paced and had many issues.

Just because there's more action scenes,
, and including more characters with a plot more connected to the manga shouldn't make everyone mindlessly say it's perfect since it is the true Fullmetal Alchemist. The original Fullmetal Alchemist was, in the least, better and more exciting as visual entertainment. The manga may be better, haven't read so not sure, but Brotherhood is most likely a very bad adaptation to film, or the manga might be over-rated too.

This story is more along the lines of a typical shounen than the original series.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.