Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 16, 2013 2:10 PM

Aug 2009
Good episode. Boat scene scared me.

I was impressed by the despicable way the rats are toying with the humans. The river streams are the main way of transportation and the slug-creatures gets inside and destroy the village, the citizens are then forced to close the streams and they are pretty much stuck. If they go out in the wilderness they'll be an easy target for the rats. It's all a well thought out plan.

Saki has a near death experience and she thinks about the faceless boy.. so it means Shun is the main reason for her to stay alive? She did tell Satoru she didn't want to die clueless. They also expressed they both loved him. *Sigh* Saki and Satoru tend to talk about their love for those who died, but not for each other. But the mutual bond between them is really powerful and they are such a good match.

I didn't get why the kid who Saki meet, didn't know about the deal with the dead feedback. It's odd since it's an important knowledge.
Feb 16, 2013 2:16 PM

Nov 2012
dankickyou said:
kpk10 said:
IZEROII said:
kpk10 said:
-MgZ_ said:
kpk10 said:
Monde11 said:
They... took down the part on the boat where Saki tells Satoru that *she loves him*.

Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME!

For real?! Are you for real man?!

For real :-(

I don't get what they're doing. Saki and Satoru are supposed to be a couple but they've make distant from each other than how they're supposed to be. And apparently they can't even hold hands to provide emotional support to each other as their lives are in grave danger. I wonder why the writers are doing this...

This was supposed to be the part were Saki confess to Satoru that she's in love with him. While they are a couple she never actually told him that she loves him.

Maybe they've just moved it and we'll still see it later? I hope so...

The anime director has been harking Saki X Maria since day 1. They are obviously in denial that Saki X Satoru is the one and only OTP.

Seriously? If this is true then fuck. My god A-1. Not only ruining the animation but also the character developments? Fuck.

Maybe they've just moved it and we'll see it later?
I really hope so, because this is ridiculous, doesn't feel like Saki loves him at all tbh, I mean there was no mention of him after the explosion either :x

It wasn't like that in the novel, I don't know why the hell the writers of this series are doing this...

That's NOT fair! How's their relationship supposed to progress now if they're expected to end up together in the end?! What the hell are the producers thinking! They can't just randomly pop it out the next episode and expect us to believe it! I mean Saki didn't even THINK about Satoru when the explosion happened. All she was thinking about this whole episode was the village, Maria, and Shun! It's as if both of them are still so caught up in their past that they can't move on and now Saki's expected to take over as the head of the village? Really? You've gotta be shitting me.
SpiraiFeb 16, 2013 2:27 PM
Feb 16, 2013 2:23 PM

Dec 2011
Even Tomiko is injured... ahh. This is the start of a massacre... humans eradicating queerats or either the fiend killing the humans. Holy. What happened to Satoru??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 16, 2013 2:26 PM

Oct 2011
mikado34 said:
Saki has a near death experience and she thinks about the faceless boy.. so it means Shun is the main reason for her to stay alive? She did tell Satoru she didn't want to die clueless. They also expressed they both loved him. *Sigh* Saki and Satoru tend to talk about their love for those who died, but not for each other. But the mutual bond between them is really powerful and they are such a good match.

I didn't get why the kid who Saki meet, didn't know about the deal with the dead feedback. It's odd since it's an important knowledge.

About the death feedback, remember episode 4 : they (Saki and the others) didn't know about this until the false minoshiro told them. It's perfectly normal that a child don't know this, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was "restricted" knowledge even to "normal" adults.

About the love between Saki and Satoru : they can't accept their love for each other now, they need to settle with the past.
When they will regain their memories of Shun, they'll be able to complete their love for each other, but to do this, they need to say "goodbye" to these ghosts of the past. Both know this because both loved the same person and they have the same big hole in their hearts.
Feb 16, 2013 2:36 PM

Nov 2011
X-citing

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 16, 2013 2:50 PM

Jun 2011
Satoru has died and now Saki is alone. I wonder what she'll do.

Great episode 5/5
"Nobody knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite"- Rintarou Okabe
Feb 16, 2013 3:40 PM

Jun 2009
The cantus leakage they mentioned in preview... Don't tell me that people are turning into Karma Demons now!

ClaraLiteraria said:

Great episode 5/5

I think he's still alive. Saki pushed him in time, so for now they are just separeted. At least I hope.
Feb 16, 2013 3:51 PM
Jan 2008
I know they explained earlier, but are fiends the ones characterized without death feedback?
Feb 16, 2013 3:59 PM

Jan 2011
PerlaNemesis said:
The cantus leakage they mentioned in preview... Don't tell me that people are turning into Karma Demons now!

ClaraLiteraria said:

Great episode 5/5

I think he's still alive. Saki pushed him in time, so for now they are just separeted. At least I hope.
same i thought they were just separeted if anyone was closer to death it was Saki falling in the sky lol luckly she regain consciousness
Feb 16, 2013 4:57 PM

Sep 2008
RediceRyan said:
Great episode.
The animation budget of this should've been more.
Feb 16, 2013 5:10 PM

Feb 2012
The fiend is scary as hell, Tomiko knwos that, I wish she wouldn't stay behind.
Feb 16, 2013 5:15 PM

Apr 2012
If that is all Yakomaru's doing alone then he is truly a mastermind of a strategist.
Never liked him but he does play his role good. A shame that he is only a supporting character.
I wonder if/when Kiroumaru will appear again and what he has to report. They said he could escape his death on the battlefield before.
Incredible how good this anime became but I agree, a better budget and therefore a better animation wouldn't have hurt anyone.
Feb 16, 2013 6:37 PM

Jun 2011
Oh geez, this episode. THIS EPISODE.

I haven't loved this show this much since episode 11 and 12. Hopefully A-1 Pictures won't tease us with this and then give us an eye-cancer inducing episode 21.

Matas said:
RediceRyan said:
Great episode.

Agreed.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Feb 16, 2013 8:20 PM

Nov 2011
Fiend is closing in! Yay blood and massacre!
—Actually, nevermind.
Feb 16, 2013 8:53 PM

Nov 2011
XartaX said:
What I don't get is why a fiend is SUCH an issue after what we've been shown, which is: Death feedback will kill you AFTER you kill another human being (e.g. when Saki tells the boy he'd die if she got killed by him).

Now if you knew a dude was gonna kill you, and then everyone you care about, wouldn't you kill him even if it meant you'd die yourself? Just seems like a huge ass plothole. Maybe it's something about being *aware* of yourself killing a human being that kills you (since the boy didn't know it yet), but I'm sure they could get around that somehow. Hell, even blinding themselves and firing their canti in random directions would probably be better than just giving up.

This are people who were completely shocked when they learned that a human can indeed kill another human...
The Art of Eight
Feb 16, 2013 9:37 PM

Oct 2011
MelbShaw said:
Did Saki completely brushed off Satoru after that explosion and went about her business? lol
Yeah seriously.. Completely abnormal behavior.
What are the writers thinking??

Also Saki must be super short to be in her 20s and be the same height as that kid. xD
Feb 16, 2013 10:23 PM

Apr 2011
Matas said:
RediceRyan said:
Great episode.
Feb 16, 2013 11:24 PM

Jun 2010
Saw a split second of Maria in next episode's preview. I guess she isn't dead after all. Maybe Mamoru being the Fiend isn't that far a stretch.

And now Saki is the leader of the village... I wonder how that's going to be handled.
Feb 16, 2013 11:46 PM

Nov 2011
Maria appearance in the preview could just be a flashback but lets keep our fingers crossed.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 16, 2013 11:56 PM

Feb 2013
Anime episodes haven't flown by this fast for me since FMA. Think it's gonna be the Fiend's task to take out Shisei?
Feb 17, 2013 12:37 AM

Jun 2012
Really good episode, that thing really is dangerous. "Run as far as you can", that's all they can do. Next episode looks just as good.

kpk10 said:
They... took down the part on the boat where Saki tells Satoru that *she loves him*.

Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME!

That doesn't sound good, I kind of liked the Saki x Satoru relationship, but they have not shown much between them two.

Feb 17, 2013 6:11 AM

Dec 2011
it's just retarded.
they are so stupid, i mean peoples from Kamisu 66.
they created intelligent beings, those bakenezumi, but don't anticipate that they can turn against humans.
I think that in our world, can be only one intelligent specie.
Feb 17, 2013 9:57 AM

Sep 2009
Another exciting episode~ With that ending video, it seems obvious that the fiend may be Maria @__@.

Edit: Oooh, just looked at the novel spoiler forum, and it seems the fiend is actually
Nice.
CelestialRevelFeb 17, 2013 10:03 AM
Feb 17, 2013 10:19 AM

Dec 2012
Flaiboy said:
Anime episodes haven't flown by this fast for me since FMA. Think it's gonna be the Fiend's task to take out Shisei?
I'm expecting Shisei to fight it at some point, but I'm not 100% sure fiend would win because Shisei seems mature enough to try and kill fiend imo
Feb 17, 2013 10:28 AM

Sep 2008
Satoru is really dead?
Isn't it Satoru in preview?

If he really is dead, I can't belive Saki,
show any feelings for his dead.
Or she show in novel,
but anime staff cut it, like most of Saki/Satoru moments...
Feb 17, 2013 12:17 PM

Jul 2012
Holy Motherfucking Goddess of Imagery.

That episode had some really strong scenes.
The last 3, no actually I can't remember when it was not that good, were just amazing.

This show probably will dethrone another anime from my top5 if this keeps up.

Anime 2012 for sure, no competition.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Feb 17, 2013 12:46 PM
Dec 2012
Way to go, queerats! Your new era is near.
Feb 17, 2013 2:16 PM

Feb 2010
Omg.. looking forward to next week...

I highly doubt Satoru is dead. I'm pretty sure he's not...
Feb 17, 2013 2:23 PM
Jan 2013
Perhaps the thing I've found most chilling in the entire show is the fact that this is a world where humans are *not* masters of their domain anymore. It's scary to see a world where humans are losing their grip on Earth, and it questions some deep-seated ideas of what I think most of us feel are related to human manifest destiny.
Feb 17, 2013 2:37 PM

May 2012
nice episode, cant wait for next ep
Feb 17, 2013 3:12 PM

Feb 2009
Is Yakomaru really that smart?! I mean wow, these attacks are pure genius coming from that rat brain!
Feb 17, 2013 3:14 PM
Feb 2013
ToriFuda said:
Perhaps the thing I've found most chilling in the entire show is the fact that this is a world where humans are *not* masters of their domain anymore. It's scary to see a world where humans are losing their grip on Earth, and it questions some deep-seated ideas of what I think most of us feel are related to human manifest destiny.

Indeed, the depiction of this future society and its possible demise, is one of the strong points of the series. I'm quite pleased with the intricate description and visual and other details of an imaginary future - including the changes that occurred to it by the immense power of cantus, a change of sexual and other mores by use of genetics and conditioning,a completely different view on the relation between generations (adults killing youths out of self-preservation), etc. As I have told in the former thread, I think it are these details that make the immersion and liveliness of that society that much higher.

I would say this anime scores high as an apocalyptic fiction; a sub-genre of science fiction that is concerned with the end of human civilization due to a potentially existential catastrophe, in this case, the queerats, but with the underlying cause human hubris.

Of course, it seems to me that while the individual powers have become God-like, the race as a whole has declined. We've not been shown much of other villages, but I have the strong impression humanity is strongly declined, and certainly doesn't reach billions of people. During the series, there are hardly any references outside the village we see, and any references to other humans come in the form of a handful of other villages in Japan. This would mean a stark decline in numbers, though each one has far greater power than we have today.

And this forms the chilling effect indeed; an existential risk narrowly refers to any factor threatening the existence of humanity and thus can refer to a risk that has the potential to destroy, or drastically restrict, human civilization, and even to lead to human extinction. With the queerats revolting, and actually being far more dangerous then cantus-users believe, the human existence is now threatened even further indeed. Being on top of the food-chain and consciously or unconsciously thinking our race at the summit of everything, we inherently find such thoughts unpleasant.
AnimageNebyFeb 17, 2013 3:53 PM
Feb 17, 2013 3:43 PM
Jan 2013
AnimageNeby said:
ToriFuda said:

Indeed, the depiction of this future society and it's possible demise, is one of the strong points of the series. I'm quite pleased with the intricate description and visual and other details of an imaginary future - including the changes that occurred to it by the immense power of cantus, a change of sexual and other mores by use of genetics and conditioning,a completely different view on the relation between generations (adults killing youths out of self-preservation), etc. As I have told in the former thread, I think it are these details that make the immersion and liveliness of that society that much higher.

I would say this anime scores high as an apocalyptic fiction; a sub-genre of science fiction that is concerned with the end of human civilization due to a potentially existential catastrophe, in this case, the queerats, but with the underlying cause human hubris.

Of course, it seems to me that while the individual powers have become God-like, the race as a whole has declined. We've not been shown much of other villages, but I have the strong impression humanity is strongly declined, and certainly doesn't reach billions of people. During the series, there are hardly any references outside the village we see, and any references to other humans come in the form of a handful of other villages in Japan. This would mean a stark decline in numbers, though each one has far greater power than we have today.

And this forms the chilling effect indeed; an existential risk narrowly refers to any factor threatening the existence of humanity and thus can refer to a risk that has the potential to destroy, or drastically restrict, human civilization, and even to lead to human extinction. With the queerats revolting, and actually being far more dangerous then cantus-users believe, the human existence is now threatened even further indeed. Being on top of the food-chain and consciously or unconsciously thinking our race at the summit of everything, we inherently find such thoughts unpleasant.

I've been making slow progress into the books, but from what I've read there are a *few* token references to external human societies. I do find it fascinating though that there seems to be little to no sense of connectedness among the humans.

I completely agree on your point that while the individual human has much more power than before, human civilization as a whole has declined. In fact, it makes me feel almost as if Cantus was a genetic mutation that started the humans on their path to destruction. I feel like, however, that if/when the Kamisu 66 society recovers from the Bakenezumi attacks, the society will organize itself in a much more healthy way. The previous threat to human society came in the form of Akki and Gouma (Karmic Demons and something I don't remember). Whenever a society has to deal with a strong internal threat, the initial reaction is to create a police state. In fact, we can see that the society of the humans in Kamisu 66 is highly Orwellian. Adults are encouraged to ferret out troublemakers among the kids and there's a great deal of fear and monitoring of the kids by adults. Most jobs in the society seemed heavily bureaucratized and created only to service the needs of the State or Society.

The Bakenezumi however are a purely *external* threat. Obviously, the real cause of the humans' destruction is a mix of human hubris and Bakenezumi threat, but for generations to come, this will be seen as a Bakenezumi attack. Society will instead try to prepare itself for an *external* threat and will hopefully form a more healthy set of limitations. (Though perhaps the true philosophical question is whether this is healthy at all. Should humans be allowed to ethically carry this idea of manifest destiny?)

I can't wait to see how the show develops!
Feb 17, 2013 4:07 PM
Feb 2013
ToriFuda said:
AnimageNeby said:
ToriFuda said:

Indeed, the depiction of this future society and it's possible demise, is one of the strong points of the series. I'm quite pleased with the intricate description and visual and other details of an imaginary future - including the changes that occurred to it by the immense power of cantus, a change of sexual and other mores by use of genetics and conditioning,a completely different view on the relation between generations (adults killing youths out of self-preservation), etc. As I have told in the former thread, I think it are these details that make the immersion and liveliness of that society that much higher.

I've been making slow progress into the books, but from what I've read there are a *few* token references to external human societies. I do find it fascinating though that there seems to be little to no sense of connectedness among the humans.

I completely agree on your point that while the individual human has much more power than before, human civilization as a whole has declined. In fact, it makes me feel almost as if Cantus was a genetic mutation that started the humans on their path to destruction. I feel like, however, that if/when the Kamisu 66 society recovers from the Bakenezumi attacks, the society will organize itself in a much more healthy way. The previous threat to human society came in the form of Akki and Gouma (Karmic Demons and something I don't remember). Whenever a society has to deal with a strong internal threat, the initial reaction is to create a police state. In fact, we can see that the society of the humans in Kamisu 66 is highly Orwellian. Adults are encouraged to ferret out troublemakers among the kids and there's a great deal of fear and monitoring of the kids by adults. Most jobs in the society seemed heavily bureaucratized and created only to service the needs of the State or Society.

The Bakenezumi however are a purely *external* threat. Obviously, the real cause of the humans' destruction is a mix of human hubris and Bakenezumi threat, but for generations to come, this will be seen as a Bakenezumi attack. Society will instead try to prepare itself for an *external* threat and will hopefully form a more healthy set of limitations. (Though perhaps the true philosophical question is whether this is healthy at all. Should humans be allowed to ethically carry this idea of manifest destiny?)

I find myself in total accordance of the thoughts you expressed here. Including the adagium 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. Indeed, if they survive this, human society will probably become better (also more ethically) and more organised, and, I think - we've seen some hints on the shortcomings - more technological, again. Because not only is there a stark decline of numbers, there is also a clear decline of technology visible. I guess they thought they didn't need it, with their cantus, but in fact many issues they have now could have been remediated if they had even our current-day technology.

The only further detail I would add, is pointing out the ambiguity their civilisation has created for itself: at the one hand, they are a controlling police-state-like society as you said, but at the same time, they try to create a very peaceful society, where 'make love not war' has been ingrained, even at the genetic level (bonobo behaviour) where humans can't hurt other humans anymore by several means (death feedback) and through conditioning (hypnotic rituals, education, etc.). Thus, it is more complex than just the typical SF 'state controlling its citizens as puppets' concept we often see. They genuinely try to raise their kids (and people in general) as free, caring and loving individuals, I think, but fear of the consequences of their power going wrong has corrupted this ideal. All those things they have done to create an existence more peaceful than anything in human history, yet it suffices not. This dichotomy between the goal they want and the reality of their actions make even more an interesting topic.

In essence, humanity has become more docile and more ruthless at the same time than ever before. An intriguing concept, to say the least.
AnimageNebyFeb 17, 2013 4:37 PM
Feb 17, 2013 11:05 PM
Aug 2010
The anime staff just doesn't seem to like Satoru so I wouldn't get my hopes up. I absolutely abhor when an adaptation alter stuff like this to suit the director's taste or fantasy. I MUCH rather hate the original pairing and have a faithful adaptation than having an adaptation that changed it to a pairing I like. This doesn't only apply to romantic pairings but those tend to be the most grating. I also absolutely hate it when authors change the official couple and whatnot due to popularity contests.
Feb 18, 2013 12:08 AM

Jun 2009
Couldn't Saki and Satoru at least hold hands on the boat to comfort each other? Argh....Other than that, it was another great episode.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Feb 18, 2013 1:39 AM
Jan 2013
AnimageNeby said:
ToriFuda said:
AnimageNeby said:
ToriFuda said:

I find myself in total accordance of the thoughts you expressed here. Including the adagium 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. Indeed, if they survive this, human society will probably become better (also more ethically) and more organised, and, I think - we've seen some hints on the shortcomings - more technological, again. Because not only is there a stark decline of numbers, there is also a clear decline of technology visible. I guess they thought they didn't need it, with their cantus, but in fact many issues they have now could have been remediated if they had even our current-day technology.

The only further detail I would add, is pointing out the ambiguity their civilisation has created for itself: at the one hand, they are a controlling police-state-like society as you said, but at the same time, they try to create a very peaceful society, where 'make love not war' has been ingrained, even at the genetic level (bonobo behaviour) where humans can't hurt other humans anymore by several means (death feedback) and through conditioning (hypnotic rituals, education, etc.). Thus, it is more complex than just the typical SF 'state controlling its citizens as puppets' concept we often see. They genuinely try to raise their kids (and people in general) as free, caring and loving individuals, I think, but fear of the consequences of their power going wrong has corrupted this ideal. All those things they have done to create an existence more peaceful than anything in human history, yet it suffices not. This dichotomy between the goal they want and the reality of their actions make even more an interesting topic.

In essence, humanity has become more docile and more ruthless at the same time than ever before. An intriguing concept, to say the least.

Such is the tragedy. Throughout human history, when we look at Orwellian societies (The Soviet Union, Hoenecker's East Germany, Tito's Yugoslavia, The Kim Familiy's North Korea) we see them as failed experiments. Attempts at Utopian societies that adopt utopian trappings in order to convince their population of salvation, despite deluding them of the reality with which they live. The reality of the SSY world however is much more depressing. Their society arrived at their current state due to *desperation*. It was through reaction, not through idealism, that they cloistered themselves into a police state and that shows in the dichotomy you point out.
Feb 18, 2013 4:02 AM

Feb 2012
ToriFuda said:
Such is the tragedy. Throughout human history, when we look at Orwellian societies (The Soviet Union, Hoenecker's East Germany, Tito's Yugoslavia, The Kim Familiy's North Korea) we see them as failed experiments. Attempts at Utopian societies that adopt utopian trappings in order to convince their population of salvation, despite deluding them of the reality with which they live. The reality of the SSY world however is much more depressing. Their society arrived at their current state due to *desperation*. It was through reaction, not through idealism, that they cloistered themselves into a police state and that shows in the dichotomy you point out.

Calling the creation of North Korea/East Germany etc. an attempt at a utopian society is ignoring history a bit, here... The Soviet Union is arguable at least.

dankickyou said:
XartaX said:
What I don't get is why a fiend is SUCH an issue after what we've been shown, which is: Death feedback will kill you AFTER you kill another human being (e.g. when Saki tells the boy he'd die if she got killed by him).

Now if you knew a dude was gonna kill you, and then everyone you care about, wouldn't you kill him even if it meant you'd die yourself? Just seems like a huge ass plothole. Maybe it's something about being *aware* of yourself killing a human being that kills you (since the boy didn't know it yet), but I'm sure they could get around that somehow. Hell, even blinding themselves and firing their canti in random directions would probably be better than just giving up.

This are people who were completely shocked when they learned that a human can indeed kill another human...

They've been taught that a fiend is a cruel creature that will murder them all without hesitation. It didn't appear out of thin air knowledge-wise. It's not an "unknown entity" as far as the villagers are concerned: it's a direct threat to themselves and everything they care about. And they know it.
Kellhus said:

GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Feb 18, 2013 4:44 AM
Sep 2012
AnimageNeby said:
ToriFuda said:
AnimageNeby said:
ToriFuda said:

You know what more chilling? The possibility of cantus user that once destroy entire human civilization becoming slave for rat! RAT!!!
From worshiped as GOD-like being to become SLAVE, that really make me scared. That worse than dead. And fact that those rat are their creation only make it worse
Feb 18, 2013 1:59 PM

Apr 2012
I am completely convinced we're supposed to work out that ordinary folk like us are the queerats, and ultimately the more sympathetic side, with the "humans" showing a callous disregard for the basic rights of other sentient beings just because they believe them to be inferior. But I wonder whether the story will ever come right out and say it?

Fantastic episode, as ever. I can see no way this won't be my first 10 since 2006.
Feb 18, 2013 2:06 PM

Apr 2011
Another great episode!!!

This anime is so awesome.
Can't wait for the next episodes.
Feb 18, 2013 3:05 PM
Feb 2013
HongISfirE said:
AnimageNeby said:
ToriFuda said:
AnimageNeby said:
ToriFuda said:

You know what more chilling? The possibility of cantus user that once destroy entire human civilization becoming slave for rat! RAT!!!
From worshiped as GOD-like being to become SLAVE, that really make me scared. That worse than dead. And fact that those rat are their creation only make it worse

It's true there is also a "Frankenstein" aspect to it; the fact (and fear) that something you created turns against you. This is quite disturbing for humans too, as we see ourselves as masters of all what we create. And nothing worse than something you create to bid your serving, suddenly turning against you.
Feb 18, 2013 3:39 PM
Feb 2013
I don't understand. I feel like the characters don't care enough for Mamoru. He's actually my favoriteeeee along with Maria.

I mean, of course Maria cares about him. But whenever Saki recalls memories of her friends it's either always about Maria or Shun.
Feb 18, 2013 4:30 PM

Oct 2007
People are still comparing every details from anime to manga/novel? Even though they know that the story telling between the two are completely different from each other?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Feb 18, 2013 5:03 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Siva said:
People are still comparing every details from anime to manga/novel? Even though they know that the story telling between the two are completely different from each other?

Can't stop people from comparing. And the manga is... wrong portrayal.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 18, 2013 5:37 PM
Feb 2013
Why doesn't someone just kill that damn fiend? I mean sure, they will die because of the feedback thing, but they're gonna be butchered anyway if the fiend gets them.
Feb 18, 2013 5:53 PM
Jan 2013
logopolis said:
I am completely convinced we're supposed to work out that ordinary folk like us are the queerats, and ultimately the more sympathetic side, with the "humans" showing a callous disregard for the basic rights of other sentient beings just because they believe them to be inferior. But I wonder whether the story will ever come right out and say it?

Fantastic episode, as ever. I can see no way this won't be my first 10 since 2006.

But I can't and that's perhaps the most scary/interesting part of this show. At some intellectual level, I realize the Bakenezumi are being used as slaves and that the humans are just using them baselessly. But on some primal level I feel *scared*. Humans *should* be the dominant species, no matter their transgressions. I think this duality is what makes the show so poignant.
Feb 18, 2013 6:58 PM

Jan 2012
just another more thrilling episode... so saki will succeed tomiko-sama? heading to the security council!!! expects some action next week lol
Feb 19, 2013 2:59 AM
Jun 2012
logopolis said:

I don't know how much more explicit they can be without breaking the "show, don't tell" rule. By the time we have the library infodump, we've seen bakenezumi slaves, and heard that this society disappears children who doesn't develop magic ability in puberty.´And then we are told about the old society with a magic using aristocracy and nonmagic slaves, whereupon, if i recall correctly, naïve Saki says something like we don't have slaves'. At that point, shouldn't everyone know?

ToriFuda said:

But I can't and that's perhaps the most scary/interesting part of this show. At some intellectual level, I realize the Bakenezumi are being used as slaves and that the humans are just using them baselessly. But on some primal level I feel *scared*. Humans *should* be the dominant species, no matter their transgressions. I think this duality is what makes the show so poignant.

Did you notice the obvious parallel to black slavery? They're different so it's ok to enslave them. It's just natural that the white race should dominate.
Feb 19, 2013 10:38 AM

Sep 2007
That was a totally gripping episode. Wouldn't be surprised if the fiend was Mamoru ...

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.