Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 16, 2013 9:32 AM
Oct 2009
DoctorDoom said:
j0x said:
and i dont understand why this show has such a low rating here on MAL

Probably because the first episode made little to no sense unless you continued to watch, and a lot of people instead dropped it.

I personnally still think it sucks pretty bad... But that might just be my opinion.
Feb 16, 2013 9:39 AM

Nov 2011
Arlia said:
This show is so underrated that it's me crying.
MorningGlory said:
Those who drop this anime must had put 1/10 score, and now its overall score is low .

Looking at the stats, plenty of people score this 7 and up, but remember - there are more numbers between 1 and 7 than there are between 7 and 10, so even if only a few people score it in the 1 to 5 region, they offset the high scores pretty severely. If one person scores the show 7 and one person scores it a 1, you'd need 2 people to score it a 10 to offset that single person who scored it a 1. But I really think that with time, the score will adjust upwards.

Or maybe not. Maybe this just isn't a show for everyone. I'm still shocked that Gunslinger Girl is rated 7.69 on MAL. I would have bet good money it would be above 8.
Feb 16, 2013 9:44 AM

Jun 2012
This episode definitely didn't lack in the action department. Her mother returning from the dead as a rotting corpse and reeking havoc on her friends was rather disturbing. Now I'm interested to see if Sasami is able to get away from her obviously evil mother.
Feb 16, 2013 11:19 AM

May 2011
Liked how funny and amusing it was the first half and how serious it got the second half. Lol at the mom saying that she was always cute.

Wonder what she meant by Sasami coming back to the human world.
Feb 16, 2013 1:06 PM

Apr 2010
The +BOX 720 is already out in there place and not here i am going to sue Microsoft for this unfair treatment!!

Sasami's mother seemed pretty nice at the first part of the episode but after that she showed her true nature even willing to work with the ruler of the underworld to make sure Sasami is doing her duty.
Question is why does she have to due her duty at the shrine and stay hidden from the world why not let her live a normal life while taking care of her duty's?
Didn't she say that a mother wants nothing more then the happiness of her daughter?
Feb 16, 2013 1:07 PM

Nov 2011
neontaster said:
Arlia said:
This show is so underrated that it's me crying.
MorningGlory said:
Those who drop this anime must had put 1/10 score, and now its overall score is low .

Looking at the stats, plenty of people score this 7 and up, but remember - there are more numbers between 1 and 7 than there are between 7 and 10, so even if only a few people score it in the 1 to 5 region, they offset the high scores pretty severely. If one person scores the show 7 and one person scores it a 1, you'd need 2 people to score it a 10 to offset that single person who scored it a 1. But I really think that with time, the score will adjust upwards.

Or maybe not. Maybe this just isn't a show for everyone. I'm still shocked that Gunslinger Girl is rated 7.69 on MAL. I would have bet good money it would be above 8.

To avoid those who dropped a show and rated it a 1, MAL used to only calculate scores for users who had watched atleast 1/5th of a series, except for long running shows, i dont know what happened recently as this isnt being made use of anymore.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 16, 2013 1:33 PM

Nov 2011
Zee530 said:
To avoid those who dropped a show and rated it a 1, MAL used to only calculate scores for users who had watched atleast 1/5th of a series, except for long running shows, i dont know what happened recently as this isnt being made use of anymore.

But this show has 12 episodes. By episode 3 we had already watched more than 1/5th of it. So if you watch 3 episodes and score it a 1, unfortunately your score counts.
Feb 16, 2013 2:07 PM
May 2011
Suzie said:
DoctorDoom said:
j0x said:
and i dont understand why this show has such a low rating here on MAL

Probably because the first episode made little to no sense unless you continued to watch, and a lot of people instead dropped it.

I personnally still think it sucks pretty bad... But that might just be my opinion.

It's really not bad in comparision to most shows this season.
Feb 16, 2013 2:56 PM
May 2012
I wonder who voices the mother, it seems to be a familiar voice.
Feb 16, 2013 3:00 PM

Feb 2011
Badass mom lol xD
Feb 16, 2013 7:40 PM

Nov 2007
Ooooh really intense episode. I much prefer this over the usual random crap *u*

Feb 16, 2013 7:40 PM

Jun 2012
That was a pretty intense episode...
It's interesting to see how Shinto mythology plays a part in the story.
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou
Feb 17, 2013 9:40 AM

Oct 2011
Stupid Sasami, what's the point of having the power of god of creation and can't even use it to protect others.
Signature
Feb 17, 2013 10:47 AM

Feb 2012
It was nice,I loved the previous one better.
Feb 17, 2013 12:40 PM
Dec 2012
anyone remember Mawaru penquin drum? lol nearly the same My emotion is at paroxysm of enjoyment
ost sasami in ep 6 start 00:37 rewatch ep and compare to this

http://youtu.be/vbjQ1i3ogN0
Feb 17, 2013 1:07 PM

Sep 2009
Ooh, another random, mindf*ck episode =D At least this one makes more sense~
I wonder if it's real, or just another dream.
Feb 17, 2013 2:02 PM
Oct 2009
Kiniest said:

I'll allow myself to disagree. I'm not watching all of the anime series this season, but this one's the least enjoyable for me as of now. Don't get me wrong, the sound and art are very good, but I just can't find enjoyment in the story and characters.
Feb 17, 2013 2:06 PM

Nov 2011
Suzie said:
Kiniest said:

I'll allow myself to disagree. I'm not watching all of the anime series this season, but this one's the least enjoyable for me as of now. Don't get me wrong, the sound and art are very good, but I just can't find enjoyment in the story and characters.

I am really enjoying it, but I totally recognize that it isn't a show for everyone. Definitely not surprised that some people can't get into it.
Feb 17, 2013 4:46 PM

Feb 2011
So, what exactly are those two black spots on her mom's forehead?
いっぺん死んでみる?
Feb 18, 2013 4:21 PM

Jan 2013
Since Sasami is being forced to become a priestess I hope her mom also forces her to get with kamiomi, need sasami ecchi.
Feb 18, 2013 8:40 PM
Jan 2013
...Welp. I wasn't expecting anything at all like that.
Feb 18, 2013 9:10 PM

Sep 2012
Vaanskylord said:
So, what exactly are those two black spots on her mom's forehead?
Makeup from Heian period.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Feb 19, 2013 11:31 AM

Sep 2007
Best episode so far. Raised my overall score by 1 point ...

Feb 19, 2013 5:49 PM

Feb 2010
Def my fave episode in this series so far.... loved the pacing...
Feb 19, 2013 11:39 PM
Nov 2012
Awesome episode!

It was nice at the start and then suddenly action everywhere.

Seriously think this show is underrated.
Feb 20, 2013 2:48 PM

May 2012
Interestin episode
Feb 21, 2013 6:34 AM

Sep 2012
Aversa said:
Question is why does she have to due her duty at the shrine and stay hidden from the world why not let her live a normal life while taking care of her duty's?
Actually when Sasami told her the shrine is already destroyed, she said it does not have to be there or a shrine, just need to be far away from the corruption and temptation of human society.
Aversa said:
Didn't she say that a mother wants nothing more then the happiness of her daughter?
I do not remember she said that in the anime.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Feb 21, 2013 6:41 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:
Aversa said:
Actually when Sasami told her the shrine is already destroyed, she said it does not have to be there or a shrine, just need to be far away from the corruption and temptation of human society.

According to various things that were said in previous episodes, they wanted the priestesses to have no human desires or needs so they could focus solely on making the world a better place. That's why they were isolated at the shrine, and that's also why the priestesses would be drugged.

symbv said:
Aversa said:
I do not remember she said that in the anime.

She certainly did not. The mother seemed to feel a little guilt at subjecting her daughter to that life, but at the end of the episode she got angry that Sasami was putting her own life above the fate of humanity. She said something like "your life doesn't belong to you."
Feb 21, 2013 6:45 AM

Sep 2012
Ajunky said:
Woah, this random show got randomly serious.
But the episode before is also serious, no? In fact every episode has a mix of humor and seriousness. It is not really that random. To me I think it makes sense to explore family relationship after exploring friendship in the last episode.

Ajunky said:

Also, Kagami in a pool of her blood was really unexpected to me after she was all dere about her rabbit (LOL at it's name).
Do you know why the rabbit is called that name (niku meaning meat - not sure how it is translated in the English sub though) ? It is because it is the same rabbit that used to be the lump of flesh (hand) grown out of Sasami's body which turned to a rabbit by Tsurugi in ep.4. So flesh = meat = niku.

Anyway, I also notice the mother is voiced by the Yuu Asakawa, who voiced Satsuki Shinonome, the long-haired head of finance department, in KoiChoco. Can't recognize her voice. In fact I find the voice-acting of Chiwa Saito, who voiced Tsurugi, quite amazing. I think her voice as Senjogahara just made too deep an impression for me but surely she showed she has other voices she can use as well.
symbvFeb 21, 2013 7:01 AM

Feb 21, 2013 6:54 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:
Do you know why the rabbit is called that name (niku meaning meat - not sure how it is translated in the English sub though) ? It is because it is the same rabbit that used to be the lump of flesh (hand) grown out of Sasami's body which turned to a rabbit by Tsurugi in ep.4. So flesh = niku.

Yeah, the sub says "meat." I think it's a very appropriate name for a robot to call a pet - it's sorta logical but has no emotional context. I thought it was a nice touch. In general there are a lot of nice little details in the show. Like in the intro to episode 6 where every time she says "okaasan" you see the word written on the computer screen, and it keeps showing a more and more zoomed in picture.

symbv said:
Anyway, I also notice the mother is voiced by the Yuu Asakawa, who voiced Satsuki Shinonome, the long-haired head of finance department, in KoiChoco. Can't recognize her voice. In fact I find the voice-acting of Chiwa Saito, who voiced Tsurugi, quite amazing. I think her voice as Senjogahara just made too deep an impression for me but surely she showed she has other voices she can use as well.

I am also really enjoying Asumi Kana's work as Sasami. I always like when a Seyuu manages to do a character that can be very serious but also very comical. Kinda like Yukari Tamura in Katanagatari, for example. She transitions between seriousness and silliness very well. It doesn't feel like two different characters.
Feb 21, 2013 9:28 AM

Mar 2012
shit has gotten real
Feb 21, 2013 9:30 AM
Dec 2010
I really wonder how they are gonna get out of this one. The one with the power doesn't and probably won't do shit cause the antagonist is her own mother, while the one who knows how and will use the power is now in hell. Kagami is dead(I nearly cried seeing that) and Tama is just too weak and stupid to help in any way because Tsurugi's not here to prompt her. I can't see how they can blunt force their way out in this scenario. Probably gonna be some "soft" action going on, maybe the brother manages to convince the mother to let Sasami be. Probably after receiving near fatal physical damage to himself.
Feb 21, 2013 9:40 AM

Sep 2012
newnar said:
I really wonder how they are gonna get out of this one.
Remember Tsurugi said in the netherworld (Yomi) she has someone she does not want to see? This should be her brother, according to my knowledge of Japanese mythology, who is the ruler of that netherworld. It is possible that she could negotiate with him (even though she does not like him as he used to create a lot of mess for her) and came back, perhaps with increased power or borrowed power from Sasami-san. And Kagami was created from Tsurugi anyway, so she should be able to regenerate from Tsurugi.

But I think the ending would not be just a simple "mother, you are just a bitch mistreating your daughter, so drop dead and be gone" resolution. I believe it would be more subtle and nuanced than that. Perhaps the mother's wish for a proper watch over the world would be recognized and promised, while she would see a bit more of the way of Sasami-san, and by this she would be able to depart from this world with no more regret. Something like that.

Feb 21, 2013 6:49 PM
Sep 2012
neontaster said:
symbv said:
Do you know why the rabbit is called that name (niku meaning meat - not sure how it is translated in the English sub though) ? It is because it is the same rabbit that used to be the lump of flesh (hand) grown out of Sasami's body which turned to a rabbit by Tsurugi in ep.4. So flesh = niku.

Yeah, the sub says "meat." I think it's a very appropriate name for a robot to call a pet - it's sorta logical but has no emotional context. I thought it was a nice touch. In general there are a lot of nice little details in the show. Like in the intro to episode 6 where every time she says "okaasan" you see the word written on the computer screen, and it keeps showing a more and more zoomed in picture.
The subs does say "Meat". I thought that the other Sasami was returned back to the original Sasami when Surugi visited Sasami in the hospital and slam her back into her chest.
IconicFeb 21, 2013 7:56 PM
Feb 21, 2013 9:14 PM

May 2012
This episode was surprisingly good. This series is stating to get better I see.
Feb 23, 2013 7:40 PM

Oct 2007
Interactions between Sasami and her mother are so cute ^^
Some pity built up before those scenes, good writing. Asakawa-san's voice fits the motherly image perfectly.
Feb 24, 2013 12:32 PM

Jan 2011
I have been Shafted, this episode was amazing.
This was way better than the previous episodes, I guess this is the start of the main story/one of the main stories.
The ending was well done, it cracked me up.
I'm looking forward to more, this is getting quite interesting.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Feb 24, 2013 4:29 PM

Nov 2007
Kagami-san's mother...

No singing at the ED (or rather, Kagami-san's mother)
tsubasaloverFeb 24, 2013 4:35 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 26, 2013 11:14 AM

Jan 2013
too much randomness chaos for me ..
Mar 4, 2013 6:39 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
It suddenly got a bit darker after a couple of seemingly random episodes.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 25, 2013 9:21 AM

Jan 2010
I liked her mom at first, it was funny.
Then she decided to h.a.m for no reason JFC.
Great episode, I'm exited for the next.
Apr 5, 2013 9:27 PM

Nov 2012
RomanaDesu said:
toshio0430 said:
Stark700 said:
Somehow, someway, this episode was a fun watch for me. Oh and the violence and that fight again. SHAFT.

]http://i45.tinypic.com/nmm250.png

what? blood? wow! i need to watch this! is it gory anyone?

Gory? No not really, lol. xD

Cruel episode.. I thought it was going to be really cute, then suddenly that shit turned around completely..

lmfao this, to the max.
Apr 16, 2013 7:49 AM

Jan 2012
what the hell, it went from cute and actually quite sad in places, to the mother bitch slapping her daughter and then eic fight scene?! i wondered why i was still watching this series and enjoying it, guess it is stuff like this xD
Apr 18, 2013 1:20 PM

Jun 2010
Yeah, 5th and 6th episodes are better than first ones. I'm quite glad that I hadn't dropped this anime. But am I the only one who still thinks that Sasami's mother is right in her intentions?
Jun 3, 2013 1:19 PM

May 2012
Quite a good episode with the screentime of her mother who should normally be dead! And lol that ending theme :p
Sep 10, 2013 4:55 AM
May 2013
The mother and daughter moments were cute.
I wonder when we will get to see the clean version of the ending song.
Dec 13, 2014 11:52 PM

Feb 2014
Right from the beginning this episode had a lot of Bakemonogatari vibe. Not a bad thing at all.
Akagatari said:
Stupid Sasami, what's the point of having the power of god of creation and can't even use it to protect others.

And this. I get she doesn't know how to use her powers properly, but at least try to do something instead of standing there like an idiot.
Sep 26, 2015 3:34 PM

Jan 2012
Dat ending ,her mom is angry.

May 10, 2016 9:53 PM

Mar 2015
Thats the kind of mum I hate the most. Obsessed by the family tradition and without thinking about their daughter feelings.

3.5/5
Dec 1, 2023 8:06 PM

Oct 2022
Well didn't see that coming

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2013

381 by Infrasoul »»
Jan 24, 8:13 PM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

140 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:14 PM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2013

68 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 9, 2023 11:31 PM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

symbv - Mar 14, 2013

79 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 8, 2023 10:41 PM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - Mar 7, 2013

49 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 5, 2023 1:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.