Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 10, 2013 9:14 PM
Oct 2012
I watched the first one with little expectation, and just wanted action. I got that. Then I tried to watch the second movie, and in the first 20 minutes I just lost interest. The characters seemed like there was nothing going for them. Does it get any better?
Feb 10, 2013 9:42 PM

Jun 2012
It's a story based movie series. The action is only notable in the 5th and 7th movies. If you want a story that's comprehensible from start to finish, look elsewhere. If you're willing to sit through 3 movies for the story to start making sense, or willing to sit through 5 movies for good action scenes, then go for it. If I remember right, the second movie has no action scenes.

In my opinion, KnK is very good and worth the watch. The fifth movie hits you like a truck train and the 7th movie is simply great.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 10, 2013 9:51 PM

Jun 2012
Forgetfulness said:
Holybaptiser said:
It's a story based movie series. The action is only notable in the 5th and 7th movies. If you want a story that's comprehensible from start to finish, look elsewhere. If you're willing to sit through 3 movies for the story to start making sense, or willing to sit through 5 movies for good action scenes, then go for it. If I remember right, the second movie has no action scenes.

In my opinion, KnK is very good and worth the watch. The fifth movie hits you like a truck train and the 7th movie is simply great.

I watched the 5 series today. It was pretty enjoyable and all, but I just wanted to ask a question since the movies have been jumping around and it can get confusing if you wait a while between each movie. What's KnK's strongest point? Like what should I expect to be good from it?

Story? Action? Characters?
Story --> Characters --> Mystery --> Action

Feb 10, 2013 9:57 PM

Aug 2012
I saw the first one yesterday. From what I've heard, 5 and 7 are apparently amazing.

There's nothing "bad" about it, so I'd probably say go watch it. Somewhat of a snorefest, but that hasn't hampered my ability to keep watching.
Feb 10, 2013 9:59 PM

Feb 2012
Forgetfulness said:
What's KnK's strongest point? Like what should I expect to be good from it?

If you haven't found out that yet, then you never will. I can't really tell that either. Like where are the awesome moments where it really hits deep? Those never came.
Feb 10, 2013 10:10 PM

Aug 2012
Yes, I think it is. The reason why have already been covered, and if you want to find out the strong points or what is good about it, you should watch it. ;P
Feb 10, 2013 10:14 PM

Aug 2011
Yes, it's worth it. Kara no Kyoukai is stellar precisely because of the out-of-order sequence. Piecing everything together is really what makes the series interesting. You find out a bit more with each movie, and that "OH!" moment you'll eventually experience is just awe-inspiring. However, I recommend you just skip the sixth movie entirely; it's average at best compared to the other movies.
Feb 11, 2013 12:32 AM

Jul 2011
Holybaptiser said:
It's a story based movie series. The action is only notable in the 5th and 7th movies.

I'd say Tsuukaku Zanryuu has a pretty decent little action scene in it too, and Garan no Dou has a very short one as well.

Kara no Kyoukai is one of my favorites series, but that's because it's everything I like about my anime. Some people love it, some people despise it, etc. Everyone's tastes are different so asking in general if something is "good" or "worthwhile" is a question with plenty of biased answers. However, if you're just looking for action, then this series probably isn't for you and you should look more down the shounen path.

Also, for future reference, this should have been posted in the Recommendations area or in the Kara no Kyoukai forums.
Feb 11, 2013 12:44 AM

Jun 2012
Verdale said:
Holybaptiser said:
It's a story based movie series. The action is only notable in the 5th and 7th movies.

I'd say Tsuukaku Zanryuu has a pretty decent little action scene in it too, and Garan no Dou has a very short one as well.
Well, I did say "notable." There were actions scenes here and there in most of the movies, but the scenes from the 5th and 7th were the only ones that were actually detailed and stood out from the rest.

Feb 11, 2013 12:48 AM

Sep 2012
Yes it may be a little slow at times but still is definitely worth the watch.I reconmend watching the fifth movie twice.
Feb 11, 2013 1:01 AM

Jul 2011
Holybaptiser said:
Verdale said:
Holybaptiser said:

Well, I did say "notable." There were actions scenes here and there in most of the movies, but the scenes from the 5th and 7th were the only ones that were actually detailed and stood out from the rest.

I thought the action from both of the ones I mentioned were also pretty notable, or at least, I certainly thought so. But I understand what you are saying.
Feb 23, 2013 2:14 AM

Nov 2011
The KnK movies are an acquired taste. Unless beautiful visuals and a fantastic soundtrack with mostly dialogue and minimal action can satisfy you through seven movies, I'd say stop. Don't force yourself through, expecting you'll enjoy the other movies because you won't.
Dec 7, 2013 7:30 AM

Sep 2013
AzureBlues said:
The KnK movies are an acquired taste. Unless beautiful visuals and a fantastic soundtrack with mostly dialogue and minimal action can satisfy you through seven movies, I'd say stop. Don't force yourself through, expecting you'll enjoy the other movies because you won't.

This. I'd like to add for those on the edge of watching, that perhaps the only flaw of this series is that when a typical guy watches a movie, he expects starting point, highpoint and ending. KnK DOES NOT do that. You are meant to take all the movies as one single story. Movies 1,2,3,4 are starting and midpoints, movie 5 is perhaps a "midhighpoint", 6 is a FILLER MOVIE. Yes, that what it felt like to me at least. And 7 is along with 5 a highpoint plus very satisfying ending for the romance.

The amazing thing about these movies for me was, how much emotion they had. Music, mystery filled story, seiyuu, 10/10 art and very interesting and out of this world characters really pulled me in and I was in this really sad state of mind while marathoning through these movies. That's when you know what you're watching is a masterpiece.
Feb 13, 2015 1:36 AM
Dec 2013
cupc said:
AzureBlues said:

This. I'd like to add for those on the edge of watching, that perhaps the only flaw of this series is that when a typical guy watches a movie, he expects starting point, highpoint and ending. KnK DOES NOT do that. You are meant to take all the movies as one single story. Movies 1,2,3,4 are starting and midpoints, movie 5 is perhaps a "midhighpoint", 6 is a FILLER MOVIE. Yes, that what it felt like to me at least. And 7 is along with 5 a highpoint plus very satisfying ending for the romance.

The amazing thing about these movies for me was, how much emotion they had. Music, mystery filled story, seiyuu, 10/10 art and very interesting and out of this world characters really pulled me in and I was in this really sad state of mind while marathoning through these movies. That's when you know what you're watching is a masterpiece.

I agree with you
Liked almost all the movies (especially Movie 5 and 7) but damm movie 6 sucked
Feb 13, 2015 3:14 AM

Aug 2014
Journey_95 said:

I agree with you
Liked almost all the movies (especially Movie 5 and 7) but damm movie 6 sucked

Bad adaptation and heavy censorship.
Aug 18, 2016 9:27 AM
Jan 2016
hm. interesting opinions, altho I wonder why the first four were chronologically messed up. Perhaps they wanted to have a confusing atmosphere and add more mystery (kind of like Momento, altho Momento style would have been 7, 1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4 in chronological order)
Jan 27, 2017 8:20 PM
Mar 2016
9spaceking said:
hm. interesting opinions, altho I wonder why the first four were chronologically messed up. Perhaps they wanted to have a confusing atmosphere and add more mystery (kind of like Momento, altho Momento style would have been 7, 1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4 in chronological order)
The chronological order is 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 7
Mar 14, 2017 6:41 PM

Feb 2010
Kingof1k said:
9spaceking said:
The chronological order is 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 7

now its 2,4,3,1,5,6,8,7,8
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 21, 2020 8:17 PM

Oct 2018
for understanding this series would I have to watch any other series?? someone said that it is somehow connected to fate/zero universe, can someone simply explain??
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Jan 26, 2020 10:25 AM

Aug 2011
emraanash said:
for understanding this series would I have to watch any other series?? someone said that it is somehow connected to fate/zero universe, can someone simply explain??

The series itself to understand, no, not really.
You would get everything if you are well versed in the Fate Universe but it´s not a prerequisite.

Having said that, it really requires a lot of investment and actual reflection on what is actually happening, what it all means, how it ties to its themes, the fact that it even has themes and so forth.

Some people do not want to put that much effort into something that is supposed to be simply fun, in that case the art might look good, some fight scenes are noteworthy but overall it might seem boring, so it´s a series that definitely is not for everybody and is polarizing to a certain extent.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kara no Kyoukai: Fukan Fuukei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - May 20, 2008

371 by Hadrian03 »»
Mar 26, 2:51 PM

» What would you recommend in the Kara no Kyoukai series if I were to see it in a movie theater?

kihel - Nov 18, 2023

16 by kihel »»
Dec 4, 2023 4:42 PM

» future KnK movies similar to this first one? (spoilers maybe)

yoru987 - Sep 8, 2023

21 by Zane_0 »»
Oct 25, 2023 5:51 PM

» Is the plot of each film self-contained?

StaleNut - Jul 4, 2023

8 by IhnalakoKaina »»
Jul 4, 2023 4:47 AM

» Do you like Shiki?

Stacias - Aug 6, 2022

24 by Merve2Love »»
Jun 30, 2023 8:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.