Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 4, 2014 10:31 PM

Jul 2013
insan3Spectre said:
GalekC said:
cantius said:
This arc is very disappointing.
Here's a couple things that this episode never got to show:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/20781/hunter-x-hunter_ch150_by_no-group

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/20781/hunter-x-hunter_ch150_by_no-group/2
(This is what all this training was for.)

As I've said, just be glad you're watching a skimmed version of the arc.

It's not really that bad an arc, I actually remember enjoying it. Sure, it isn't Yorknew or Chimera Ant level, but it doesn't need to be. I kind of look at the arc as kind of a fun bridge between the two.
Back then, I enjoyed this almost as much as the Hunter Exam, which is actually pretty good. My favorite arc from then in the 1999 anime WAS the Hunter Exam.
GalekCMar 4, 2014 10:35 PM
Mar 4, 2014 10:50 PM

Jun 2009
GalekC said:
insan3Spectre said:
GalekC said:
cantius said:

It's not really that bad an arc, I actually remember enjoying it. Sure, it isn't Yorknew or Chimera Ant level, but it doesn't need to be. I kind of look at the arc as kind of a fun bridge between the two.
Back then, I enjoyed this almost as much as the Hunter Exam, which is actually pretty good. My favorite arc from then in the 1999 anime WAS the Hunter Exam.

I don't know what it was, but I didn't enjoy the Hunter Exam in the 99 version as much. More specifically I didn't start enjoying it until Trick Tower and especially Gon hunting Hisoka. I don't know, though, I think I went into the series at a bad time and i didn't want to enjoy it as much, if that makes sense. I loved the Exam in the 2011 version for the most part, so I don't know what was up. Then again, I didn't fall in love with the 1999 anime, and by extension the franchise, until Yorknew.

Part of me wants to give the '99 anime another shot. I never did get to see it's take on the bottom half of Yorknew and Greed Island.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 4, 2014 11:00 PM

Jul 2013
insan3Spectre said:
I don't know what it was, but I didn't enjoy the Hunter Exam in the 99 version as much. More specifically I didn't start enjoying it until Trick Tower and especially Gon hunting Hisoka. I don't know, though, I think I went into the series at a bad time and i didn't want to enjoy it as much, if that makes sense. I loved the Exam in the 2011 version for the most part, so I don't know what was up. Then again, I didn't fall in love with the 1999 anime, and by extension the franchise, until Yorknew.

Part of me wants to give the '99 anime another shot. I never did get to see it's take on the bottom half of Yorknew and Greed Island.
In terms of the OVAs, the rest of Yorknew was alright, and G.I. was 'eh..'

I still somehow managed to look past the G.I. OVA's sluggishness and shoddy direction. Probably had to do with the exploration of Hatsu in Gon and Killua's training (G & K in general as well), and me being forewarned to keep low expectations.

Yorknew back then just felt a bit out of place for me, until the anime's climax. And yeah - I didn't exactly dig the Hunter Exams until Trick Tower either.
GalekCMar 4, 2014 11:13 PM
Mar 4, 2014 11:26 PM
Sep 2013
GalekC said:
insan3Spectre said:
GalekC said:
cantius said:

Same, I really enjoyed Greed Island. Actually, I enjoyed all HxH immensely except for the Zoldyck mini arc which was alright. Also, I can't believe they cut that out. Seriously Madhouse? I would've wanted to see those!
Mar 4, 2014 11:32 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, if I had to pick out my least favorite HxH arc is definitely Zoldyck. Which is, in retrospect, a really important arc all the same.

@ GalekC

Yeah, Yorknew was very different the first time I saw it. Watching the 2011 series and knowing where things were going, though, it wasn't anywhere near as jarring. I think it being so different is one of the reasons why I really liked it, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 1, 2014 4:35 PM
Oct 2009
I was just startin to wonder when Hisoka would show up n he did yay missed him :)

Hunter exam was a breeze for Killua - I was hoping for some strong guys though, I guess not.. They don't want to waste time repeatin' stuff :)
May 21, 2014 12:55 AM

Apr 2014
ROTFL dat Hunter Exam... wonder if the other examinees were given a second chance, or all that effort (on both sides) was put to waste by Overkill Killua. XD

The ED song continues to entertain. It's got to be my favorite of the three so far, which is quite a thing considering the screaming awesome of that first one.
Jun 8, 2014 2:54 PM

Jan 2011
man this arc isn't interesting in the least
theres Hisoka though, hopefully he ll do something on whats left of the arc, then again he didn't do anything on the previous one
Jun 23, 2014 12:17 AM

Jul 2007
In all honesty i never really liked this part of the series. Where killua just suddenly passes the exam in the blink of eye. The first arc build the exam up to be something of great importance in learning how to establish such skills against tough competitors that will be the first building blocks to becoming a hunter, the author just kind of threw that completely out the window when killua seamingly defeated everyone in seconds.

I mean imo if killua was so damn strong, he should of not entered the exam in the first place. If I look at it from another point of view, what if some one did the same thing he did, and cheated or what ever and had to take the exam next year, but then trained for a solid year and became increasingly more proficient in nen control, obviously much more experienced then most of the competitors at that point.

Then this same catastrophy would happen again and again, wouldn't it? I just find it funny how Netero would allow something like that to happen, economically he would loose lots of money and revenue and his exam would be ruined each time. i may be looking into it to deep. Its just one of the flaws i noticed.

Now bout the episode lol.

Wow lots of progression through the game, i had to hit pause so many times to read all those cards. lol. That dice is particularly a really important item, gaining the user luck at like 75% of the roll, and that necklace is also a nice item. So it looks like the bomber team is almost finished with the game and gon and killua are slowly reaching further.

I wonder where they are going to go from here and the bomber team, what his objective and how is he going to win against the guy that gave him those other cards. Interesting to find out the results of this.

Killua getting addicted to gambling, LOL that was funny.

Jun 23, 2014 12:25 AM

Jul 2007
Cresherhsm said:
GalekC said:

Same, I really enjoyed Greed Island. Actually, I enjoyed all HxH immensely except for the Zoldyck mini arc which was alright. Also, I can't believe they cut that out. Seriously Madhouse? I would've wanted to see those!

Yeah the thing bout this arc is the "cards" being a primary element to the greed island game doesn't have much relevance to the story being shown. That is kind of the downfalls to this arc, if these cards were actually uses more in each scenerio and the type strategies players use with these cards was more presented, then it probably would be alot more interesting. I can see something like this becoming some sort of spin off of Hxh, kind of like yu-gi-oh or something like that.

But of course the cards isn't really main thing of this arc, its mostly the training and for gon to see greed island, of course the end answers a few mysteries that give the entire arc more meaning with the overarching storyline.

Jun 23, 2014 12:29 AM

Feb 2014
If the exam established anything is that Hisoka, Illumi, Killua and Hanzo could have blitzed through it provided the other three were not there.
Episode 7 also established netero granting the card to whoever he wants. Now all killua did was beat everyone in an all out fight, there was really no point in any further testing and netero knew it... Back from the hear before. He simply failed because he violated the rule.

And netero would hardly call this a "catastrophe", for someone to completely obliterate everyone and prove himself strong.
Hell even one of the statistics is that many "successful" applicants lose their license or die afterward.

I think this is very realistic because of all the way the exam was setup.
Jun 23, 2014 12:34 AM

Jun 2009
I don't think Killua doing this is all that surprising. After all, he was going through the first Hunter Exam rather easily and, from what we could tell, the only participants who could have given him any trouble what so ever were Hisoka and Illumi, both of whom were the only participants who knew nen and have been shown to be in an entirely different league in their own right when compared to Killua. So, a nen using Killua who clearly wasn't trying except for when he was playing that "game" with Netero and Gon, could believably get through the exam with practically no effort.

As for why others haven't done it? Well, I would imagine if other people followed in his footsteps then Netero and the Hunter Organization would need to put some sort of rules in place to limit that. Perhaps limiting the number of attempts (sucks for you Tompa!).
Ston3_FreeN7Jun 23, 2014 12:37 AM

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 23, 2014 12:39 AM

Feb 2014
Why people didn't do it (do we even know that from just one previos exam?):
Most rounds were not all out fighting.
And, zevil island and the swamp require tracking since they are in an open space. Doubt hisoka would bother. Not part of his character anyways.
Final round prohibited killing.
Jun 23, 2014 12:53 AM

Jun 2009
Actually, that's true. This Exam started with an all out brawl for the tags right? So, yeah, it would have been illegal to do what Killua did right here in the previous exam.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 23, 2014 3:43 AM

Jul 2007
insan3Spectre said:
I don't think Killua doing this is all that surprising. After all, he was going through the first Hunter Exam rather easily and, from what we could tell, the only participants who could have given him any trouble what so ever were Hisoka and Illumi, both of whom were the only participants who knew nen and have been shown to be in an entirely different league in their own right when compared to Killua. So, a nen using Killua who clearly wasn't trying except for when he was playing that "game" with Netero and Gon, could believably get through the exam with practically no effort.

As for why others haven't done it? Well, I would imagine if other people followed in his footsteps then Netero and the Hunter Organization would need to put some sort of rules in place to limit that. Perhaps limiting the number of attempts (sucks for you Tompa!).

The exam had the established rules, if you go back and read or watch those episodes, what killua did here would be considered going against the very foundation of the established rules and scenario's that was set up for the exam in each phase. No participant can just come into the exam, knock out all of the entry players in the first phase and immediately pass and gain the hunters license. This is like contradictory to everything that Netero set up and talked bout in the first arc. Why because, he's just that proficient in nen abilities, i think there should be a rule in place, for testing the individual first before taking the exam, seeing if he has certain nen abilities if that individual crosses a certain threshold according to chairman netero analysis, they should be omitted to taking the exam.

The rules should remain for all players regardless if he is a returning player or not. It is no surprise that players probably have failed several times and have returned

insan3Spectre said:
Actually, that's true. This Exam started with an all out brawl for the tags right? So, yeah, it would have been illegal to do what Killua did right here in the previous exam.

It was a race, just like the first event, here they were bout to go on a race but killua obviously professional in nen control compared to these guys, it was just no contest. Thats why i think there should be some sort of limitations to that.

Jun 23, 2014 5:24 AM

Jun 2009
I just went to Hunterpedia and it specifically says:

"A 288th Hunter Examiner bursts through a door and immediately tells the almost 1500 examinees only 300 will make it to the next phase. In just two hours, each examinee must defeat five others, with proof by taking their numbered tags. He closes the door behind him and right away a battle royale ensues."

That was a bad move, little examiner.

Also, I believe that they said in the Hunter Exam arc that the rules and so on and so forth aren't always the same. It's entirely up to the examineers/Netero as to what they want to do.

Though, don't get me wrong, I get what you are saying. And, despite my defense, I'm sure one of the biggest reasons why Togashi went this route is because he realized he would need Killua to be an official Hunter for the next arc, yet needed him to not be out of Greed Island for an extended period. Maybe that's why there happened to not be any actual strong applicants this particular exam, I don't know.

I could definitely see why this sequence would rub you the wrong way, though. It's not necessarily a favorite of mine either.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 27, 2014 5:54 PM

Jan 2013
Hilarious hunter exam.
I had to pause to read those card descriptions a lot. They were pretty well thought out.
Sep 10, 2014 8:06 PM

Apr 2013
I kinda felt sorry for those 1500 people. That's what you call a pro Hunter level.
Oct 22, 2014 9:22 PM

Jun 2014
wth killua passed the hunter exam in 4minutes. I wasnt expecting much in the way of coving the exam, but that was more disappointing than i thought itd be.
Dec 25, 2014 12:32 PM

Aug 2013
Man, that Boomer dude piss me off, I hope he/they die in a horrible way, right before he/they finish the game.

Pfffiou, Biscke saved Killua from a certain death. Seriously, that combinaison is the deadly cocktail ever, a lotterie where you almost always win, but die when you lose...

Gon, Killua and Biscke are progressing pretty fast in the collection. Also learned that Kuroro is taking a bet with Hisoka. I don't know if it's worth it, since he would probably ends up dying in a fight against Hisoka.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 18, 2015 8:36 PM

Jun 2009
2nd Hunter Exam arc finished in about 5 minutes! Ez mode!
Apr 2, 2015 11:00 PM

Jan 2015
link9us said:
In all honesty i never really liked this part of the series. Where killua just suddenly passes the exam in the blink of eye. The first arc build the exam up to be something of great importance in learning how to establish such skills against tough competitors that will be the first building blocks to becoming a hunter, the author just kind of threw that completely out the window when killua seamingly defeated everyone in seconds.

I mean imo if killua was so damn strong, he should of not entered the exam in the first place. If I look at it from another point of view, what if some one did the same thing he did, and cheated or what ever and had to take the exam next year, but then trained for a solid year and became increasingly more proficient in nen control, obviously much more experienced then most of the competitors at that point.

Then this same catastrophy would happen again and again, wouldn't it? I just find it funny how Netero would allow something like that to happen, economically he would loose lots of money and revenue and his exam would be ruined each time. i may be looking into it to deep. Its just one of the flaws i noticed.
Apr 25, 2015 5:44 PM

Jun 2014
I giggled at Dick Sakura, I'm too immature to watch this show.

Aug 3, 2015 8:59 PM

Oct 2013
Lol haha! Killua owned everybody. Wow I still can't believe that he just wiped the floor like that
Jan 10, 2016 11:00 PM

Jun 2015
pretty good episode.
Apr 17, 2016 9:50 AM

Jan 2016
Shortest Hunter exam ever lmao Killua is just too OP for this shit
Sep 18, 2016 6:44 PM

May 2014
5layer said:
Paladin's Necklace is far too overpowered. It pretty much makes half the cards in the game useless and it's not even SS ranked.

Yeah this bothered me too. It just seems too convenient.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Oct 15, 2016 12:51 AM

Sep 2015
I feel bad for Zepile was hoping he would become a Hunter too alongside Killua.
Rip Neon and her father (are they broke?)

And why haven't the bomber dudes been killed already I hate them so much especially for forcing those two guys to roll those dices that can kill.
Oct 15, 2016 2:39 AM

Dec 2012
PONZU!!!!!

Scumbag Tonpa is back.

Killer's tag has my numbers. He has no choice but to ace the exam now.

LMAO at Killer owning everyone including Zeplin. Glad he beat Tonpa's ass. Pissed off he beat Ponzu. She didn't deserve that.

Holy shit. Nostrade family is done.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jun 17, 2017 11:30 AM
Jan 2017
KILLUAAAAAAAAAAAA
Aug 4, 2017 3:04 AM
Mar 2017
Haha, Killua's exam.. of course he would

& Hisoka~~~
Sep 21, 2017 9:41 AM

May 2016
Nice episode but the rules of the Games are incomprehensible lik in Yu Gy Yoh
Nov 30, 2017 2:18 PM

May 2013
LMAAOOOO. Can I go shopping at Dick Sakura too pls? /dead xDDD

Gon and Killua's elbow tag "yay!" was fucking adorable after Kil passed the Hunter Exam haha <3 I remember that scene where he had to collect everyone's tags lulz. I hope the rest of them still got to partake in the Hunter Exam minus Killua xD it wouldn't be fair to them since Illumi and Hisoka could've gotten their license with the same shortcut but they didn't use their advantages and went through the whole exam on their own, sooooo these guys should get a full chance too :P

Poor Kil got addicted to gambling LMFAO
Jan 12, 2018 9:28 AM

Mar 2016
Killua is just too op for these noobs... He's a former assassin that has 1 in a million potential anyway, so none of them are equally matched against Killua. I still pity the guy who has helped Killua and Gon in the auction though.

If there are no enemies who will fight against Gon, Killua, and Bisky. This game will be so easy to defeat! Nevertheless, the game is definitely fun for them 3, they're too op for most of the game's challenges!

ShadowkillZJan 12, 2018 9:34 AM
Aug 14, 2018 2:29 AM

Dec 2014
: well that was something..killua kicked everyone out.. lol I was expecting something else… hmmm ..looks like the two parties already have enough cards…. I hope Gon and party win this and then there is hisoka and phantom Spider
Dec 27, 2018 8:27 PM

May 2012
Very interesting to know a bit more about the cards to be honest! Looking forwards to see what's next.
Oct 12, 2019 6:46 PM

May 2016
Killua passing the Hunter Exam in its first round by defeating every single one of his fellow examinees was awesome! That might as well have been the world record for the fastest Hunter Exam speedrun ever.

The guy Chrollo was referring to must've been the Conjurer that can summon Nen-eating beasts, damn. Even though the guy successfully got away from the Bombers, Hisoka and the Spiders will be hot on his trail sooner than later.

They're getting quite a lot of restricted cards in a relatively short time thanks to their brutal training~ I've also just remembered that I've actually watched the scene where Genthru forced the guy to roll the Risky Dice years ago without remembering where it's from, wow.

Oct 31, 2019 9:01 PM

Sep 2017
Lmao Killua's hunter exam was pretty hilarious.
Dec 12, 2019 10:22 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
That was quick for the Hunter exam, just imagine how scary it would have been if Killua was this strong during the first exam, Gon and the others would have had no chances.
Aug 5, 2020 2:06 PM

Dec 2007
lol kilua actually completed the hunter exam with no effort.
so we saw hisoka finally, but only for a second...
interesting that bisuka doesn't want to continue the training with kilua, oh well at least they started to beat the game.
wonder what climax the narrator talking about, there's 9 episodes more to the arc.
Sep 13, 2020 4:16 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Killua be like:
Hunter Exam speedrun any% 1h30 (World Record)
Nov 10, 2020 2:43 AM

Apr 2013
I remember looking forward to the second hunter exams and then it was over in a flash.
Dec 6, 2020 10:13 PM

Dec 2020
it was nice to see a little bit of kurapika :( really miss him.. other than that, another great episode, I really hope these people turn out to be good
May 16, 2021 9:12 PM

Aug 2018
Lmao he conquered the hunter exam in only an hour and a half, I really wish he let Zepile get 5 badges so Killua and Zepile could both becomes hunters.

Hisoka is gonna dominate in Greed Island!!!

Dec 24, 2021 11:23 AM
Nov 2020
Killua has inherited the title of "Rookie Crusher". Tonpa is proud.
Jan 19, 2022 11:08 AM

Jun 2019
Killua rolled the Hunter exams. LOL and now we have them trying to win the game. Those bullies need to die ASAP.
Nov 16, 2022 10:22 AM

Jul 2022
From a narrative standpoint I get why Killua had to knock out the Hunter Exam so quickly, but it kind of weakens the importance of the first arc for me.

I also was done with the Phantom Troupe last arc, so I didn't need to see them on Greed Island too.

Last complaint I have is that these shorter arcs always turn into "The Gon and Killua Show" when I'd much rather be spending time with the rest of the characters.

I still love the show, just not feeling this arc overall.
Jan 17, 2023 7:20 AM
Jan 2019
This is my favorite arc so far! :>
Feb 16, 2023 9:42 PM

Jun 2021
AH SH*T TOMORROW I HAVE SCHOOL >:(
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

915 by Thesk8er2000 »»
Yesterday, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

44 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Apr 16, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Apr 16, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.