Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 3, 2013 7:20 AM

Jul 2011
Shachou said:
Azuma whispered to the boss or whoever he is to send Brian 03 to that area few episodes ago, remember?

I totally forgot about that... Makes sense! Because even if they do send Brian - 03 over to the other side and he isn't there, then it's OK. Buddy and them probably have some kind of oxygen tank on them.
Feb 3, 2013 8:15 AM

May 2011
This episode was so fucking tense, so hard to predict what the hell was gonna happen there
Feb 3, 2013 8:24 AM

Nov 2007
This episode was too scary.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Feb 3, 2013 8:26 AM

Nov 2007
When he ran out of oxygen I couldn't stop pulling my hair. Now I need to pull myself together!
Feb 3, 2013 10:34 AM

Apr 2008

Moderator Edi
Spoilers to Planetes
Suzune-chanApr 25, 2013 2:46 PM
Feb 3, 2013 11:57 AM

Nov 2008
This was one amazing episode. To be honest, I was surprised a bit with the ending, as I had sort of made peace with the idea of Hibito passing away.. but this was a great outcome as well. It was too soon for either one of the brothers to die this part in the story anyways.. Now, onto a bright future where both will meet in space~
Feb 3, 2013 12:48 PM

Oct 2011
Bawling the entire time The flashbacks with Hibito and Brian. When his air ran out.. Hibito was about to die. When Brian 03 came I was so happy he survived. Thank the Gods!!!! T___T
Feb 3, 2013 1:18 PM
Jan 2010
Frankly, I don't care about how miraculous that was. I'm just glad Hibito's alive :D
Feb 3, 2013 1:19 PM

Jun 2011
I'm so glad he lived otherwise I think I may have had a hard time getting over it ;O;

Never cried so hard for a dying anime character.. this was just done so perfectly.
Feb 3, 2013 4:51 PM

Aug 2010
you know, i don't think i'm the only one watching this anime who finds what happened with Hibito isn't impossible or improbable.

i think it was just sheer willpower/training experience on his part after beginning to hallucinate Brian when he fell slightly unconscious, and then that's when he began to hold his breath for a little longer than the 2-3 minutes of losing oxygen in order to see/stand/walk. it really shouldn't be too long after the oxygen tank turned off. it's not like it was 5 minutes later before the Brian bot arrived. combined with that, there was his will to survive and the Brian hallucination, so i found it entirely acceptable.

there were many ways the bot could've reached him in the nick of time: Azuma whispering about it, Buddy going with his instincts/desperation and telling them about the flashing thing Hibito saw, the bot already heading around that area from when it was first sent out. Hibito didn't even get that far away from the mini astronaut. basically, Brian showed it the way. it never just came out of "nowhere".

the people who disliked what happened should remember not to be so pessimistic and that this is still just an anime.
StariaFeb 3, 2013 4:58 PM
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." -Mark Twain
Feb 3, 2013 4:59 PM
Jul 2011
You people are completely oblivious. It's like you've never seen an anime before, and this is your first. It's always been obvious that he wouldn't have died. This isn't the type of show where that happens. And this "miracle" was completely stupid.

Sure, 10/10 but that save was complete bullcrap.
Feb 3, 2013 6:55 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
AnimeFtw1 said:

Sure, 10/10 but that save was complete bullcrap.

Nope it was all part of the plan.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 3, 2013 7:01 PM

Jul 2008
SwordWielder said:
MorningGlory said:
SwordWielder said:
.. cool explanation...
They not even started any explanation yet... please wait for that next week.

even if they did intentionally send Brian-03 there
still don't quite make sense how he is able to move while having brain damage due to lack of oxygen.

He still had a bit of oxygen.
When the countdown was over it meant that his tank hadn't anymore oxygen to give him but he still has the oxygen that is currently inside his spacesuit.

Things were slow to create an intense mood but things actually happened quite fast. Hibito's tank ran out of oxygen then a few second later Brian-3 came to the rescue. He still had a dozen or more seconds of oxygen even after the tank ran out. He was inhaling more and more Co2 but there was still oxygen that went to his brain.
Ten more second max and he would have been dead.

That was bullshit. I'm happy he's alive but I believe his death could have made the show even better than it is now, especially after all the development he got in the last few episodes
Feb 3, 2013 8:11 PM

Jan 2011
The timer counted down to when the oxygen tank was exhausted. At that point it should have switched to tank two, but as the display showed that was empty. We were shown the graphic representation as the O2 content reduced below 20% which meant that he was on borrowed time, but he wasn't dead yet. Even in the absence of oxygen (breathing) it takes several minutes for brain death to occur and one can assume that there was still enough oxygen in the suit environment for him to maintain consciousness, although suffering the headache and other symptoms of an oxygen deprived environment.

As for Brian 3 showing up at the location, it was pretty obvious that once all the robotic assets were deployed as per a suggestion several episodes ago, there was a capability to cover mission control's bets by dispatching Brian 3 to JAXA's proposed location while the main rescue team went to the original accident site. The conversation between Azuma and the robot controllers was a bit of a give away, but they masked it by making it inaudible.

As to Hibito functioning while oxygen impaired--that is the whole point of training! He probably spent many hours practicing hooking up the emergency oxygen connector (which probably is common to several different sources of supplemental emergency oxygen because that's the sort of redundancy that NASA loves to build in), just so that the process of hooking up was almost automatic. And since that is an "emergency" procedure, I'm willing to bet that hooking up is a relatively simple and undemanding process--for just this sort of situation.

So a total ass-pull? No way! Everything was laid out episodes in advance, and consistent with what you would expect from redundant safety mechanisms. Was Hibito damn lucky? You bet! One or two minutes more and he would have been unconscious and ultimately dead.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Feb 3, 2013 8:30 PM

Jan 2011
Me: Brian!! SAVE HIBITO! Q_____Q -tears-

so gald hes alive T^T
Feb 3, 2013 8:41 PM

Nov 2011
Damn, I hate how they managed to save him. If he died, it would be better storywise. Still not enought for me to remove this from my Favorites though.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Feb 3, 2013 9:31 PM

May 2012
I'm just happy he wasn't saved by supernatural means or something. love this series.
Feb 3, 2013 9:36 PM
Dec 2009
rodac said:
The timer counted down to when the oxygen tank was exhausted. At that point it should have switched to tank two, but as the display showed that was empty. We were shown the graphic representation as the O2 content reduced below 20% which meant that he was on borrowed time, but he wasn't dead yet. Even in the absence of oxygen (breathing) it takes several minutes for brain death to occur and one can assume that there was still enough oxygen in the suit environment for him to maintain consciousness, although suffering the headache and other symptoms of an oxygen deprived environment.

As for Brian 3 showing up at the location, it was pretty obvious that once all the robotic assets were deployed as per a suggestion several episodes ago, there was a capability to cover mission control's bets by dispatching Brian 3 to JAXA's proposed location while the main rescue team went to the original accident site. The conversation between Azuma and the robot controllers was a bit of a give away, but they masked it by making it inaudible.

As to Hibito functioning while oxygen impaired--that is the whole point of training! He probably spent many hours practicing hooking up the emergency oxygen connector (which probably is common to several different sources of supplemental emergency oxygen because that's the sort of redundancy that NASA loves to build in), just so that the process of hooking up was almost automatic. And since that is an "emergency" procedure, I'm willing to bet that hooking up is a relatively simple and undemanding process--for just this sort of situation.

So a total ass-pull? No way! Everything was laid out episodes in advance, and consistent with what you would expect from redundant safety mechanisms. Was Hibito damn lucky? You bet! One or two minutes more and he would have been unconscious and ultimately dead.

I agree with everything you just said. Sure he was down to minutes or even seconds, but all the training they go through for when things go wrong makes this possible. Also, while you may be fading out, seeing a way to survive (Brain - 03) would sure snap me back to attention too. Very happy with this episode.
Feb 3, 2013 9:47 PM

May 2009
Thank God he's alive. The suspense was killing me. NASA should have listened to what JAXA has suggested. I don't like when those type of situation happens. Anyways, that will hopefully make Brian's dream come true.
Feb 3, 2013 11:18 PM

Aug 2009
rodac said:

After watching it and thinking about it, this is where I came out of. There were some hints in the previous episodes that it was going to turn out the way it did. Ass-pull? False drama? I don't know if I necessarily agree with that. But could it have been handled better than it should have? I'd say yeah. On a technical perspective, I think they could've done something more with the flashbacks, hallucinations, oxygen impaired situations, and the like.

Not the best episode for me, but still liked it nonetheless. It would've been interesting to see how the story progresses if it happened the other way, but pretty satisfied with the result anyway.
Feb 3, 2013 11:45 PM
Jul 2012
fulminicolibri said:
Thank God he's alive. The suspense was killing me. NASA should have listened to what JAXA has suggested. I don't like when those type of situation happens. Anyways, that will hopefully make Brian's dream come true.

Yeah but NASA was basing it off known data while JAXA's was basically a gut feeling. Sure it was phrased in a way that JAXA was right in the end but NASA based it off the available data which was the right thing to do. Though the best was solution was to send 2 different vehicles to the different locations so i guess that's sorta how it turned out...
Feb 3, 2013 11:53 PM

Mar 2012
There was a bunch of dull episodes while waiting the final selection results. And now the show is back in action with this episode. I loved this episode very much.
Feb 4, 2013 12:24 AM

Aug 2007
I was 100% positive this episode would end the way it did, and I thought they handled it very well. I kind of wanted it to go the other way as well, but this didn't seem like that kind of show, and they made it obvious how everything would be resolved when they sent Brian 3 to that location and then didn't mention its progress for like the next two or three episodes. Show moves so slow I'm sure plenty of people forgot all about it, haha.

But this is the first episode I've thoroughly enjoyed in a while. Watching him run out of air was absolutely brutal, and the way they tied the flashback in to the rescue scene was a great touch, I thought. Made it much more emotional. They definitely could've thrown in something else(maybe a flashback of something we haven't seen with him and Mutta yet) instead of some of the Houston/JAXA scenes, but I don't think not having it hurt the episode that badly.

Now I hope things can speed up a little...
Feb 4, 2013 1:46 AM

Nov 2011
Man tears were shed when Hibito thought all hope was lost, here comes Brian saying, 'I'm here to save the day!' with the Brian - 03 behind him.

I think it was pretty obvious to everyone he was going to live though. I mean, he had a close relationship with Brian, Brian is named after a OXYGEN making robot WHICH was dispatched to look for Hibito a few episodes back. We all knew it was going to come to play and I actually think they did a pretty good job with it.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Feb 4, 2013 5:45 AM

Mar 2009
wo0o0o0o....music is superb ,,, specially i like hibito`s struggle to stand up ,,, great episode .
lord_blackghostFeb 4, 2013 5:49 AM
Feb 4, 2013 9:16 AM

Mar 2011
I kept saying he would never die, so many cliffhangers that had close calls, they wouldn't kill him now, But towards the end I really thought he would die. I did remember the Brian 3, but even so after seeing the Brian picture and his oxygen hitting zero I thought he was done. But I am so glad he survived. I don't agree it would be better if he had died. This anime is about two brothers reaching towards the stars, I don't want it to turn into a brother trying to live a dream for his dead brother, I have seen that generic set up enough times already. I really did enjoy the last few episodes, very very suspenseful, but obvious as it was I am happy he survived.

Now Nasa must apologise to Mutta D:.
TehWhiteTigerFeb 4, 2013 9:27 AM
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Feb 4, 2013 10:04 AM

May 2011
THIS EPISODE. Pretty sure I cried through the whole thing. I went into it with the mindset that Hibito would definitely make it through alive, but the way the flashbacks were orchestrated made me doubt my resolve. Boy, did I get trolled!

The scene with Hibito suffering was so painful to watch. Hopefully next week's episode will be kinder to my poor heart.

Feb 4, 2013 12:59 PM

Nov 2012
Holy crap, great episode, thought he was going to die for sure for a while there.
Lol @ insensitive guy counting down.

Feb 4, 2013 1:00 PM

Apr 2011
I'm tired of realism and cynicism. I'm glad he survived. Brian walking in front of the machine really got me.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Feb 4, 2013 1:16 PM

Apr 2011
I was sure that Hibito won't die. I mean this anime is promoting people to become astronauts, so of course they won't dare to show us anyone dying. Nonetheless, I am happy how it ended ^^
Feb 4, 2013 3:36 PM

Mar 2008
as much as I'm a drama lover, but this time they totally overdid it, at least in my books... the fact that Hibito was able to move after the oxygen ran out without providing anywhere earlier in the series anything about the trainings the astronauts went through in the oxygen-deprived environment is definitely not the best way of presenting the story... besides I'm really curious if one have to breathe that quickly when lacking oxygen badly... I don't have much expertise here but it does feel somewhat fishy... so really, didn't like the episode, too overdramatized.
Feb 4, 2013 4:02 PM

Nov 2010
soulelle said:
as much as I'm a drama lover, but this time they totally overdid it, at least in my books... the fact that Hibito was able to move after the oxygen ran out without providing anywhere earlier in the series anything about the trainings the astronauts went through in the oxygen-deprived environment is definitely not the best way of presenting the story... besides I'm really curious if one have to breathe that quickly when lacking oxygen badly... I don't have much expertise here but it does feel somewhat fishy... so really, didn't like the episode, too overdramatized.
They probably did way more training that they didn't show. You can't expect them to show everything, and giving too much hints is actually bad.
And like rodac said, even if he had no more air in his tank it was still in his suit. His oxygen level was dropping and the anime made it look like time was going slower.
A lack of oxygen will probably make you breathe faster, as your body is trying to get as much as it can.
Feb 4, 2013 8:02 PM

May 2010
it doesn't matter how much i've read the manga, the scene's so nerve wrecking i feel like dying... i'm really glad for you, Hibito!! BAAAAWWWW
Feb 4, 2013 9:44 PM

Oct 2009
This might have been one of the greatest series of episodes I have ever watched of anything. Seriously, I'm pretty sure this was flawless.
Feb 4, 2013 9:57 PM

Aug 2011
Fiuuuuuuuu !! my eyes , haha, Yahooo ! Hibito Alive
Feb 4, 2013 11:16 PM
Feb 2013
I really hope they pull out an outstanding explanation of how Brian-3 got exactly where hibito was and how he was able to get all the strength nedded to connect the tubes to the suit.

It was a great episode, great emotions, great scenes... but just... no... I love this series, perhaps my favorite of the last year, but this episode made me want to drop it completely. ;_;
NoxteriioFeb 4, 2013 11:19 PM
Feb 4, 2013 11:28 PM

Nov 2010
Noxteriio said:
I really hope they pull out an outstanding explanation of how Brian-3 got exactly where hibito was and how he was able to get all the strength nedded to connect the tubes to the suit.

It was a great episode, great emotions, great scenes... but just... no... I love this series, perhaps my favorite of the last year, but this episode made me want to drop it completely. ;_;
This post answers both your questions.
Feb 5, 2013 11:24 AM

Sep 2011
Now I'm just waiting for the moment to see the Nanba brothers together in space <3 an awesome episode :,)
Feb 5, 2013 6:52 PM

Jul 2009
HOLY CRAP THIS EPISODE NEARLY GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK LIKE FIVE TIMES WTF D;
Nice to see more of Brian ... he really is Hibito's saviour isn't he? :P When Hibito's air ran out I actually thought they were going to kill him off ... and then Brian appeared XD I mean, IDK, I was really surprised and sad but I was also happy they actually did it XD Mixed feelings ... same about Hibito being safe. I mean of course I am glad, but also ... IDK, yeah :P
Brian's astronaut on the moon with the picture on the back D: Then Hibito saying sorry to Mutta ... omg lol >_<
Anyways, Hibito's safe ... interesting how Brian reminded him of Mutta lol with the multitasking and stuff. They finally get to talk next episode! :P
Feb 5, 2013 6:56 PM

May 2011
It was hard watching Hibito walking with his gasping and fading vision. Such wonderful and terrible things this series does! Brian really did pull through, if ever I did believe the spirits could exist that would be it. That music when he was trying to get up, all my tears! I did not think I could be so relieved for a character.

But oh man, I still wasn't sure everyone else there wouldn't get into an accident as well, especially with how Buddy was. D:
Feb 5, 2013 10:59 PM
Jan 2012
MM-Rosiie said:
Explain to me how Hibito can move after running out of oxygen. I know you can last a little while after running out of oxygen... but can you actually get up and move, and be focused enough to connect tubes? Or are they just doing it to make it dramatic?

Not sure if it would've made me further love the show if Hibito died, but I prefer him dying over surviving like this... If he died, then 1)collapse, then 2)the other astronauts come and are frustrated/sadden by his death. I feel like it would be realistic for Hibito to die in this situation... and Mutta suffering from it.

OK. Now back to Mutta's training!

imma agree with you on this one, they kinda set it up so that hibito was almost content with his death, and im sure the plot would be stronger with mutta trying to live up to his brother and make it to space and back. They pretty much showed him dying then suddenly slapped on brian-3 coming to save him.
Around 40ish the show started picking up its pace and regardless it was still a fine conclusion to the problem, just could have been played out a bit better...
Feb 5, 2013 11:23 PM

Feb 2012
Good episode. As expected, "Brian" came :D

Looking forward for the next episode. Looks like fun :)
Feb 6, 2013 12:08 AM

Jul 2010
People asking about how could he manage to move without oxygen, havent you ever been under water for 2 minutes? The reason he collapsed so early was he already gave up. But he stood up after seeing Brian-03.
Feb 6, 2013 2:05 AM
Jun 2008
I wonder should I make a topic on Hibito should die or not ...
I don't think Drama doesn't need people to die to feel dramatic >_>"
Feb 6, 2013 10:51 AM
Mar 2012
Can I just say, this anime is the most inspiring anime to me. The kind of relationships in this series are so real and so touching, it's amazing to me.

This episode made me cry like someone I know just died, at first I was crying cause duh, Hibito was dying, but afterwards I was just crying cause I couldn't believe something so beautiful exists.

AS LAME AS THIS SOUNDS;;; This anime is probably my favorite... just saying.
Feb 6, 2013 11:18 AM

Dec 2009
I knew he couldn't die, not with that buildup. But man that was close! This anime isn't supposed to be dramatic and sad, Hibito dying would completely change the tone that's been set for the past 40 episodes (which could be good or bad).
Feb 7, 2013 5:02 AM

Jul 2011
Mutta was always right but oh well...

Great episode but 10 minutes of "Brian is here to save u", Brian here and Brian there really annoyed me. Btw Hibito is ALIVE fuck yes!!

5/5
Feb 7, 2013 4:02 PM

Jun 2008
MY HEART. WHAT IS THIS SHOW DOING TO ME.

This was one of the most intense episodes I've seen in my life.
Feb 8, 2013 2:19 AM
Nov 2008
The anime made the scene longer but Hibito stayed very little time with just the oxygen inside ths spacesuit so it's possibile that he moved and did what he did.

Still, it's a bit sad to see people that wanted to see Hibito to die just for Mutta development, it would totally ruin the show idea, but for those you can be sure that this event will have its consequences, so wait for Hibito's next arc.
Feb 9, 2013 12:58 AM

Jun 2010
Suddenly each breath of unlimited air down here seems like a gift
I had mixed feels about it as well, one part of me already longed to see which direction the plot would take after Hibito's death, yet at the same time I felt soo relieved when he was saved.
The whole arc from ep 40 to 43 was fantastic though
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

CuriousThing - May 5, 2012

59 by zugzwank »»
Jan 18, 2:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.