Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 23, 2014 4:53 PM

Jul 2012
@flaxman:
Not sure if serious or trolling.
Clannad: After Story - 9/10

What? Hypocrite much?
Sep 26, 2014 12:20 AM

Nov 2011
My relief that Hibito survived is overcome with a sour aftertaste. They overdid it. I know that you can stay conscious a couple minutes without oxygen, and your brain isn't damaged for a couple minutes longer, but if Hibito was to the point of collapsing due to lack of oxygen, he shouldn't have been able to stand back up. If the Brian had shown up before he collapsed or around the same time, it would have been more believable.

That was a powerful and disturbing scene. We were watching Hibito die. Then they throw it out?

I don't know; I feel cheated.

Eh.

Edit:

@Mayukachan: Clannad: AF spoilers.

TripleSRankSep 26, 2014 12:25 AM
Dec 28, 2014 3:26 AM

Jan 2013
Wonderful episode. I usually hate last minute life saver moments but the way the show foreshadowed Brian Jay as "the guy who saves the day" in the flashbacks; it was pretty obvious Hibito was going to get saved by the oxygen tank named "Brian-03". Miracles can happen in real life so can't we label this one as a miracle too?

Easily the best episodes of the series so far for creating and fleshing out a character who isn't even alive. The episode really got me when Brian's apparition started walking towards Hibito with that smug little grin.

Yeah and this series shits on Planetes ,,||,,
Mar 1, 2015 5:50 PM

Dec 2013
What an overly dramatized waste of an episode. Don't know what I expected from a cartoon..
Mar 21, 2015 9:13 AM

Oct 2008
Of course they didn't have the balls to actually kill him,anime nowadays just don't have the cojones to pull off a Touch.

Still good nonetheless.
amateurMar 21, 2015 9:16 AM
Mar 29, 2015 4:08 AM

Jun 2009
Nice episode. Brian to the rescue.
loghneckbeardMar 30, 2017 3:31 AM
Mar 30, 2015 8:05 AM
Mar 2010
To those who didn't get it, they said that the tank ran out of oxygen. The suit didn't. So basically he could have lasted another minute or two with the oxygen in the suit. But yeah, they did over do a wee bit with the drama and tension. Nonetheless, it was a powerful and important moment in the episode and series.
Apr 14, 2015 8:26 AM

Aug 2010
THAT.WAS.SO.INTENSE.

That "Sorry, Mu-chan" totally broke me.

All those build up, and then this climax, was done superbly well. All those build up tears in my eyes over the episodes, I legit teared up in this episode. I dont think I've ever teared up over an anime episode before, and it's rare that I feel so tensed up over a period of episodes and the feel the climax of the tension in one episode.

Wonderfully executed!!!

And I am so so happy Hibito survived. Of course, it was rather odd how he was still able to survive for so 'long' after his oxygen ran out, but I'm just thinking that maybe it's his will to survive that helps a little and maybe it all happened within a short time of span (and the animation pace is slowed down to emphasise on those few seconds before he was helped out by Brian-03).

Any way, I really enjoyed this short arc. What makes this arc so amazing is the emotions that they arouse in people, or at least, in me (and it is rare for me). Though overall so far, this anime has made me feel so much emotions. I'm amazed.
blue-yApr 14, 2015 8:30 AM
Nov 16, 2015 4:01 AM
Dec 2009
I LOVED THIS EPISODE. I was sobbing by the end.

I had to take a moment before continuing to the next episode. I haven't gotten this emotional over an anime in a while.

I've heard people complain this series is "long" or "slow" but each episode goes by in a flash for me. 10/10 from me so far.
Nov 20, 2015 10:46 PM

Mar 2012
I really dislike forced, drawn out drama. It was obvious that the only way he was gonna survive was if they sent Brian-3 to give him oxygen. Hell if you missed out Azuma whispering to the guy in command at Houston it got pretty obvious with that flashback of Brian being there to help him. They made the situation look extremely dire when the whole time you were just waiting for the drone to show up already.

Besides the whole surviving without oxygen long enough and being able to move because of his "will power" shenanigans, the fact that the drone was able to find him in time after having moved from the expected location where he left Damian is pretty far fetched. I'm assuming the video quality was good enough that someone used it to follow Hibito's footprints or something? Hope there's a plausible explanation next episode.

It's great that he's still alive but I just knew that they were gonna draw it out and make it more dramatic than it needed to be just to get feels out of the audience.
Dec 6, 2015 2:13 AM

Nov 2014
Way too much unneeded drama. And, altho the show is named Space Brothers, this really does cheapen the storytelling.
We were shown back in ep. 41 or 42 when Azuma whisper with the employee that additional rovers would be sent to the other location just to have things covered, while being obvious that 'twas going to save Hibito and Damian.
Why I disliked this episode mostly, is because even tho they showed his second oxygen tank running out, but in one second his suit oxygen which had 60% went down rapidly to 20%, on top of that take the rapid breathing, which exhaust even more oxygen and releases even more carbon dioxide; we then have the already collapsing scene, in which it clearly says that he's already unable to function due to lack of oxygen, thus, either leading to his death, or, being saved by his colleagues depending on the speed capability of the rover.

Why was/is the rover save plausible? Well, if I'm not mistaken, when they said they were 12km away from the location, Hibito had 3 minutes left of oxygen, and again depending on the speed, they might've been able to save him, should Hibito decided to intake his last breath of air from the oxygen tank and hold it for a couple of minutes, while also still having left some oxygen from the suit he might've been able to survive.
The other possibility was the Brian-03 rover which was dispatched, and, if I'm not mistaken, in the previous episodes it was mentioned that NASA would use all of their available assets to dispatch them and help Hibito and Damian in any way they can, however, the problem arises because Hibito won't know that NASA would also send assets in the direction that they went with Damian.

And lastly, recall the JAXA test in which Mutta and Serika were blowing the table tennis ball to see how long they'll last; that tells us that NASA prepares them for such situations in which they'll have to hold in the breath in case they run out of oxygen or probably something along those lines.

All in all, I think Hibito should've died due to him already collapsing and due to the rapid loss of suit oxygen from 60% to 20% in mere seconds, or second.
Jan 5, 2016 11:26 PM

Jun 2013
Avenger-senpai said:
I really dislike forced, drawn out drama. It was obvious that the only way he was gonna survive was if they sent Brian-3 to give him oxygen. Hell if you missed out Azuma whispering to the guy in command at Houston it got pretty obvious with that flashback of Brian being there to help him. They made the situation look extremely dire when the whole time you were just waiting for the drone to show up already.

Besides the whole surviving without oxygen long enough and being able to move because of his "will power" shenanigans, the fact that the drone was able to find him in time after having moved from the expected location where he left Damian is pretty far fetched. I'm assuming the video quality was good enough that someone used it to follow Hibito's footprints or something? Hope there's a plausible explanation next episode.

It's great that he's still alive but I just knew that they were gonna draw it out and make it more dramatic than it needed to be just to get feels out of the audience.

I pretty much agree with this, I don't really mind about Hibito surviving longer than he should have or whatever, but it was really, really obvious (to me, at least) that Brian-03 was going to come save him, and it just felt annoying waiting all that time for it to happen.

Luckily I'm still enjoying the show :)
Jan 8, 2016 5:10 PM

Oct 2013
YES YES. What an intense and great episode.
Sending Brian-03 to the location Mutta pointed, must be Azuma's idea when he spoke to the director.
I hope they explain how Hibito could stand up after he ran off of oxygen tho.
Dec 15, 2016 5:58 PM

May 2015
FUCK YES! Good job Brian :D

Hibito survived, but it was close one. :)
He should honor life now. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 26, 2016 8:32 AM

Nov 2016
Episode 43 - Brian:

"I'm here, Hibito. The veteran Brian Jay..." (Brian to Hibito)

"Sorry, Mu-chan..." (Hibito)

"(1 second of oxygen left for Hibito) Hibito... You'll come back, like nothing went wrong at all." (Mutta)

"Brian... You really did come for me..." (Hibito)

5/5
Mar 23, 2017 9:02 AM

Feb 2014
All this needless bullshit because one idiot couldn't keep his damn eyes on the "road", even AFTER almost falling down a crater the same way just a few minutes before that. Fucking hell.

But glad he survived, even though he clearly should have died there. Anime willpower and last minute adrenaline rush can't do shit if there isn't any oxygen to create energy and move the body.
Jun 26, 2017 10:01 AM

Jul 2015
What an episode, I have no words.

I didn't think that Hibito was going to die here, but after all that happened during the episode I wasn't so sure anymore, that was absurdly close to become a tragedy, manly tears were shed.
Sep 4, 2017 3:18 PM

Aug 2015
I have very mixed feelings about all this. Like the whole arc of them falling down the cliff. Probably the worst writing-wise for the whole anime, so far. I'm just glad it's all over. Hope writing gets better.
DarkBlaze99Sep 4, 2017 3:40 PM
The only opinion that should matter to you is yours.
Sep 16, 2017 2:07 PM

May 2012
Oh boy that was a close one! Really great episode, I'm so glad he made it with his last breath!
Oct 18, 2017 1:55 PM

Dec 2008
This episode almost gave me a heart attack! My chest was hurting from all the stress!
Such an emotional roller coaster!

[For sure one of the best episodes I have ever watched form anything, not just anime. Also this all story arc was one of the best arcs I've watched, maybe the best, I don't know yet.]

Dec 2, 2017 6:04 AM

Dec 2014
This whole accident was really boring to watch. At first it had my interest because I thought the show might actually have the balls to kill off a character. I mean, come on, who the hell cares about Damien? After it started to get dragged on and on it was obvious that nothing was going to happen and that this was basically a big waste of time.

Geez, I'm so bummed by this outcome because now the show's pretty much telling you that there will be no risk at all. If there's a threat of a character dying later on in the show you won't even care since you now know the show doesn't have the balls to even kill of a side character like Damien.

I was really enjoying this show too. :/
Mar 9, 2018 8:48 AM

Feb 2013
Thank you Brian, thank you Azuma!
May 19, 2019 3:41 PM

Dec 2015
i was sure that hibito's gonna die as a turning point in the story hum..... disappointed
May 10, 2020 3:42 AM
Oct 2017
So oxygen deprivation is an issue someone can just power through... šŸ¤£
Jul 9, 2020 9:35 AM
Nov 2018
he should've died

the build up of previous episodes is ruined
Oct 27, 2020 5:31 PM

Dec 2007
the end were pretty expected, but still dramatically, hibto managed to survive :)

and it very make sense for hibito to still be alive, the oxygen is maybe out, but there's still co2, it's usually suffocate and make it hard to breath and think, but it's still possible to breath it and live before completely suffocate.
Oct 28, 2020 1:53 AM
Apr 2016
When he started grasping for air, I felt so uncomfortable.. it was just terrifying to watch. I genuinely thought Hibito was going to die, but he managed to survive! In my opinion, it was a little void of realism, but it was still great - not entirely out of plausibility, I think.
Apr 21, 2021 6:22 PM

May 2012
Honestly, these past few episodes have really been powerful. I was terrified and on the edge of my seat watching Hibito struggle to survive. You can argue that "Oh, of course they wouldn't kill Hibito," but really, I think they absolutely could have and it would have worked. We would likely end up with a very different story, but as Hibito's oxygen ticked closer and closer to his death with seemingly no hope, it started to feel more and more likely. That's really good storytelling.

This episode has also reinforced the fact that dying on the moon would suck. While beautiful, as evidence by Hibito's desire to head down the ravine and view the stars in all their glory before he died, I just can't imagine the terror of knowing exactly when you will lose all your oxygen, with no hope of rescue before then, no one to talk to, just your own thoughts as the timer slowly reaches 0 and you choke to death.

I'm glad he's alive.
Jun 21, 2021 10:25 PM
Oct 2018
This Episode was one of the hardest things i've ever watched, so brutal, so slow. And i dont care about the argument "Its not possible" cause this is a fcking masterpiece
Oct 25, 2021 3:22 PM

Dec 2012
This episode is still so legendary. Even knowing the outcome, I was still at the edge of my seat and totally immersed into every second. This scene is probably the turning point that made Space Brothers one of my all time favorites.
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Jul 2015
Incredible arc, seeing Hibito turning around Brian's toy revealing the picture of the brothers made me shed some tears and also the end with brian rover coming to the rescue (although Hibito still walking without oxygen didn't make much sense).

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

CuriousThing - May 5, 2012

59 by zugzwank »»
Jan 18, 2:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.